4.0 out of 5 stars Great 3D laptop.
Published on June 2, 2012 by Ychen

1.0 out of 5 stars horrible customer service from asus
**update 06/02/2014**
it is almost 2 years now and my laptop has not been fixed yet. this is the last time i am sending my laptop because the cost of box and fuel is costing me more then my laptop. :( (i have spend about 200+ in boxes and fuel)

Published 18 months ago by Imran

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great 3D laptop., June 2, 2012
This review is from: ASUS G75VW-DS73-3D 17.3-Inch Laptop (Black) (Personal Computers)
Pro: A cheaper high end gaming laptop that's comparable to Alienware. It has 3d function making your gaming experience much more in depth. Screen is sharp and will not glare. Keyboard is crisp with a metallic gun finish. Blue-ray player is always a nice addition along with the back lit key for working in the dark. Internal memory and hard drive is easy accessible for upgrade. 1.5 Tb harddrive is massive.

Con: Some bugs with the sound system where the subwoofer doesn't turn off until the lowest decibel. The resting pad is changed into a foamy texture instead of the soft rubber texture from G74x. This version comes with only 12 Gb instead of 16 Gb, but you have an easy access slot for expand. There are 2 hard drives but they are both partitioned giving you 4 smaller hard drives, not sure why they did that. 3D function is great but it turns down the screen resolution when in use and makes your backlit keyboard into a strobe light. Kinda wish they had one of the hard drive for loading OS as SSD.

Conclusion: This is a great machine, you will like it if you can afford it. The 3D function is the key here, so if you don't really care for that, go with the G75vw-DS72. It is a faster computer for $100 less.

5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied with this laptop!, September 25, 2012
I've been using this laptop for almost 2 months (Bought in Aug 2012). So far it's been pretty solid. Everything works out of the box - no crashes so far.

I bought this from Amazon. The box included the following:
1. Laptop
2. Laptop Bag
3. 1 pair of Nvidia 3D vision glasses (3D vision emitter is built into the laptop). Glasses comes with a soft material pouch to store it in and keep it from getting dust. You may need a hard case to protect it if you want to travel with it in your bag!
4. Manuals and driver CD
5. Soft cloth to wipe laptop screen. 3D glasses also came with a cloth to keep it clean.
6. Power adaptor - As other people have mentioned - this is pretty big. It also gets hot so be sure to place it in a safe spot where you won't touch it and keep it away from surfaces that might be damaged by heat.
7. Gaming mouse

As mentioned by others, there are 2x 750 GB hard drives running at 7200 RPM. There are 4 partitions across these 2 hard drives. I was considering swapping out one of the hard drives with an SSD drive for booting and games but after using the laptop for the past 2 months I found that there doesn't seem to be any noticeable hard drive lag. I mostly play "The Lord of the Rings Online" and haven't experienced hard drive lag. My home PC definitely benefitted from an SSD upgrade but I'd say this laptop has performance comparable to my PC even with just the 7200 RPM hard drives in it.

Others may get more mileage with an SSD upgrade depending on the games being played etc. For me, I'll hold off on an SSD upgrade since the laptop seems to be pretty fast as is!

The laptop comes with 1 month of McAfee Internet Security (subscription automatically activated on first boot). After this expired I uninstalled it and I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials (free). You have the option to purchase an extension to the McAfee Internet Security subscription if you wish.

Also of note:
Don't forget to register your laptop online to ensure your warranty is put into effect! There's a card in the box with instructions to follow. I believe the laptop must be registered within a month of purchase - I don't recall the exact time frame at the moment.

3D:
I tested this with Mafia 2. The 3D experience was comparable to my home PC which is hooked up to a 40" Samsung UN40C7000 3D TV. The PC has an Nvidia GTX470 video card and the TV has its own 3D glasses (no 3D vision as with the laptop). Mafia 2 on my PC and on the laptop is comparable. The 3D effect is more enjoyable on a large screen but there's no issue with the 3D on the laptop. Also, "The Lord of the Rings Online" came up in 3D at first launch without needing to be configured first. The 3D effect in this game is pretty impressive. I prefer to play it in 2D though since 3D is a little uncomfortable for long gaming periods. It's nice to switch to 3D in between to sight see. I also watched Tron 3D blue ray to test out the blu ray drive and 3D movies. This was good and confirmed that you can watch 3D movies with the included software.

Overall - great laptop. Good performance, met all my expectations and runs my favourite game without issue.

1.0 out of 5 stars horrible customer service from asus, August 2, 2013
**update 06/02/2014**

i finally called up Asus headquarters, talked to someone who was in the "resolve issue department" he told me the same spill "send it the computer and they will fix it. so i sent my computer once again! and lets see what happens..

fyi, they did offer me a replacement laptop which was worth half the price and slower then the computer i had so i rejected the offer because i paid hard earn money on this.

i basically have given up with asus, i wouldn't recommend to anyone who is planning to buy this

**update**
i have sent the laptop for repair atleast 4 times now. now they finally claimed (after a year and a half) that the laptop is not repair-able and they would exchange it. think twice before buying anything from asus!!!. (even though they pay for shipping through fed-ex, they wouldnt provide the box and fed-ex will always charge for a box $25 x4 because they wouldn't let me re-use the box. either way i have moved to alienware laptop now and currently selling this laptop

i have own this laptop for over a year now (its still under warranty). i got this as a desktop replacement.
anyways what is horrible about this laptop is that it is shutting down every single day. i would say it will shutdown randomly at least once a day (even while surfing internet)

i have contacted customer service many times, they normally ask your laptop back and claim "they fixed it" (which is basically re-installing windows). after the laptop is sent back to me.. it will run fine for about 2 months and then same problems starts over. as for now, i am re-sending this laptop for the last final time because my warranty period will expire around this novemeber..

i would say they are pretty smart on how to deal with warranty. anyways i wouldnt buy a laptop from them ever again.. if you are looking for something nice.. try msi laptop..

4.0 out of 5 stars A good mix of power and affordability, July 4, 2012
Chris Sutton (Omaha, NE United States) - See all my reviews
So far, I've enjoyed my new RoG laptop to the fullest. It has a great aesthetic, and doesn't skimp on performance. The 1 Year Accidental Damage coverage is amazing as always. The system comes with a pre-installed gadget that lets you switch from "high performance" to "battery saving", essentially throttling the proccesor and GPU to extend off-cable life. The stereoscopic 3D on this model is quite good, though it wasn't my main reason for the purchase. There are a few downsides, but nothing too terrible. Like most gaming laptops, it is very large and heavy, has low battery life (about 2 1/2 hours), and gets hot quickly (ventilation is excellent, however, and I haven't noticed any performance issues related to heat). The keyboard has a nice feel to it, but occasionally will not register a button press (I think this is a result of not pressing hard enough). The partitioned hard drive is a bit odd (I found that using one for storage, one for Steam, and one for all other games worked well). The system comes with the typical bloatware, easy to remove. Overall, I am pleased with my purchase.

1.0 out of 5 stars If you like random Hangs, Freezes, and System lockups. Buy the G75VW-DS73-3D!, June 15, 2012
Updated November 2012.

I cannot recommend the G75VW-DS73-3D which is a pity as it's a nice looking machine when its working. In fairness to Asus after months of haggling they sent me a replacement G75 at their expense. But it has the exact same hangs freezes and system lockups! Is this coincidence? A bad batch perhaps? I don't know, so I'll leave it to the prospective buyer to decide.... Nvidia Driver updates do not fix the problem believe me I've tried, and Asus VIP support is the absolute worst!

If you want to know what problems you might face with this laptop read this letter below to Asus that I sent after test driving a second G75 for a month. Incidentally, a common fault is that both G75's also had wrongly configured Atheros Ethernet slow upload speeds, making me think additional patch(s) weren't run at the time of the build. Either that or its an outright bad batch of G75's with bad 670m GPU's. Either way Asus have no solution. I will probably sell mine 2nd hand and buy a Samsung because I looked at the Samsung Series 7 and regret not buying it, as the Nvidia 675 appears more stable.

If anyone has any questions about the G75 I can answer them in the comments section. For instance is the 3D worth it? In my view: NO! Playing for hours will almost certainly give you headaches as the 3D is not as comfortable as watching a 3D movie at the cinema. Basically the active shutter glasses approach causes strain on the eyes. Moreover the 3D means every game is darker, and even with brightness turned up within the game and in the power options, the clarity is not as good.

Dear Asus,

You misunderstand the problem. Please read carefully! I'm certain the
system freezes are solely due to the buggy 670m GPU. How do I know
this? Because the system can occasionally recover from a pending
crash. When it can, it logs this message :-

"Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

Most other times it fails to recover, and the system hangs which then
requires a hard reboot. Either way the symptoms are always the same!
But I'm sure you know this already from internal testing?! Or are you
saying that both of my G75's are part of a rare bad batch? I have a
feeling that the Samsung Series 7 with the 675 is more stable and
that's why there are less complaints about it.

To directly address your question though. I choose to rebuild the new
G75 from scratch. The system image / Windows Easy Transfer options
weren't that useful anyway. But so far on the new G75, I've only
installed the basic programs. So I've held off installing lots of
games and the game design software that I use, such as Unity 3D, UDK
and Blender etc.

Also note, the crashes mostly happen on the Desktop when merely using
Explorer, or Firefox with plug-ins / JavaScript disabled. Or running
IE with basic plug-ins enabled or just using MS Office. Please note that
following on from Asus-ROG postings on G75 hangs, the new G75 has disabled :-

A. all anti-virus software (uninstalled),
B. all unneeded Services...
C. all Scheduled Tasks...
D. all registry RUN commands & updaters etc.

1.0 out of 5 stars didn't work, August 13, 2013
got it turned it on, blue screen of death, had to run the maintenance utility to format it back to factory settings,
once functioning it would constantly freeze, i would get the blue screens, sometimes it would stay stuck in a rebooting loop, nvidia video card driver would crash constantly, not a great experience for an asus product

1.0 out of 5 stars BUY LOCALLY, October 6, 2014
Not a happy camper. I bought this from Asus through Amazon. From almost day one my mouse would freeze for 10 seconds or longer, if it got to be a minute or more then I would have to force a shut down. Over these last 6 months since buying it in March. I would get blue screens, popups saying that the Nvidia graphic card clock was hesitating then would proceed. I took it to a computer shop. They couldn't make it do it. Ha! So they take out first hard drive and move everything to the second one, same problem. So I took back in and proved it to them. So they gave my money back. So off to the next shop, same thing. They ran a check on it for hours and found nothing, because the computer wasn't leaving a digital trail for the alarms that it was having. And a new graphic card soldered to the motherboard is half price of the computer. What really steams me is that the warranty had expired 3 months before I purchased it. Lesson learned is to buy local then you if you are getting a newly built computer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Amazing, June 25, 2012
Well, after 1 week having this laptop i just gotta say that it's not what they are offering, it is more than that, because i test the laptop playing Crysis 2 with the V1.9 version and all the graphic setting's on ultra and i always get impressed with the very very high quality of images and because even the GPU stay cooler than it should be, so trust me when i say that you won't be dissapointed if you are going to buy this laptop.
The only ¨big issue¨ that i could fine was the subwoofer trouble, that it's nothing, because in my case i almost didn't realize because it was a minimun issue. So if you can afford it, this will be a relly good choice, because even when the 3D is enable the quality of images it's pretty awsome. Definitly the best PC choice i've ever made!

5.0 out of 5 stars A long delayed decision, June 16, 2012
I'm a Mac user, though I've used Windows several times, or because I've used Windows several times, and it took me years to decide to get a gaming PC. After checking things out, I chose the Asus G75VW. I am pleased (understatement). It's made for gaming (though it could be used otherwise), so it's set up for that, and I don't have to do anything more than install games and play. It's fast, has a lot of storage, and amazing 3D. It's really heavy, it's not a lap-top, and they suggest not using it on your lap, so I have a tiny table to hold it while I'm gaming. Works great. The big screen is very wide, so even the widest-screen movies work well. When I want to watch movies nobody else wants to see, I use that with headphones.

Over-all, my PC experience here is exhilarating. The hardware is extremely sturdy. The only negative is the disk drive tray seems just a tad flimsy, but then I've not really tested it.

I suggested my wife get an Asus as a new business machine (far too heavy for air travel though), but her company bought her something else. Oh, well...

5.0 out of 5 stars Best machine I have ever owned. Hands Down!, November 16, 2014
Not one problem with this unit. Had it over 2 years with stellar performance!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

ASUS G75VW-DS73-3D 17.3-Inch Laptop (Black)
Used & New from: $1,527.46