4.0 out of 5 stars Love it
This is a great laptop for everything I need. Its fast and gets everything done I need to quickly and easily. I was a little disappointed it wasnt touch screen but thats not a big deal. The only problem I think I have with it is the absence of some shortcut keys for music controls. Also, the speakers are located on the bottom of the laptop so when I tilt up the laptop, I...
Published 18 months ago by Jake Allen

3.0 out of 5 stars horrible touchpad, otherwise good machine
Been using an ASUS K55A for over a year. We bought it as a second machine because we had been using an almost identical ASUS for a year prior to that. Both machines are great, no problems, exceed expectations, blah, blah, EXCEPT - Unlike the previous machine which had discrete left and right click buttons with the touchpad, the more recent purchase has the left and right...
Published 16 months ago by contactbarker

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars ASUS = VERY GOOD. WINDOWS 8 = Trouble *(READ)*, July 2, 2013
C. Taylor (Tallahassee-Leon Co. Metropolitan area, FL.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ASUS K55A-DS71 15.6-Inch Laptop (Mocha) (Personal Computers)
5 STARS FOR ASUS. 2 STARS FOR MICROSOFT.
My second return to Amazon... not their fault.

+ PLUSES: Very good construction, visually attractive, powerful internals, clear display - no problems at all and I recommend ASUS as a company and brand of computer over the Lenovo, Dell, and HP which I checked out and bought. A better fit and finish overall than most laptops. ASUS is based in Taiwan. Lenovo is based in Beijing, China (and crazy NC).

- MINUSES: Windows 8 in this model is terrible. Just 2 days after starting the laptop up, Win 8 crashed and continues to do so at least twice a day. Search *Windows 8 crash* and there's a lot of posts on forums as well as other sites. Microsoft's forum on their site has complaints exactly like mine and have been awaiting a Microsoft person to address this problem for a good long while. NOTE: The Amazon rep said he's seeing a number of pcs and laptops with Windows 8 customer complaints and returns.

My advice is to stick with Windows 7 or Vista. Windows 8 seems to be unstable whether it's turned on fresh from being off, after sleep, or hibernation. Nothing seems to help unless one runs a registry and junk cleaner of which I use 3. So is it a Win 8 bug that causes the system to be more unstable? I think so. I just try to minimize the chance of a crash by constantly cleaning the system. I do know Amazon's live chat with a representative worked and this thing will leave this house.

Dear Microsoft: Being fat and happy will get you beat down by an upcoming OS like Chrome.

I did purchase an ASUS N55SL-ES71 15.6-Inch Laptop (8Gb RAM)... more money but I can't afford the loss of business.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super satisfied, June 15, 2013
The computer is just phenomenal! the second I opened the box I knew I made the right decision. The i7 quad core really is doing its job. I do a lot of photoshop and web design, so I run a few high opacity programs. This beast of a laptop is handling these multiple tasks like a piece of cake. Havent done any gaming yet but no doubt that it will do well. Highly recommended!

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice laptop... but windows 8 sucks, December 7, 2013
I love the laptop... but I HATE WINDOWS 8. If I could, I would take it out. The laptop is fast.. works great.. lightweight.. perfect all but that stupid windows 8, I can't figure out how to do anything.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome laptop great price, November 26, 2013
leibnitz (Nevada, United States) - See all my reviews
I love this line of asus laptop. I have bought at least 40 of this series and apart from changing the hard drive to a solid state drive first thing They are perfect right out of the box. plenty of memory, and with a SSD change a fast hard drive. easy drivers. fairly rugged. I issue these to linemen and have had very few brokens come back. none if it wasn't for aaron, he broke 2 but he also broke a cell phone every month. I was relieved when he got a job and moved away. :)

remember. it stays within budget even with a SSD hard drive swap. I favor the crucial m500 240GB drive right now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the Laptop but hate windows 8!, September 5, 2013
R. Garth "rgarth" (Planet Earth Most of the Time.) - See all my reviews
It's a great laptop, it has just about everything one could want in a laptop but it comes with windows 8 and after spending 3 days with it I was ready to chuck the thing out the window. Luckily it was not for me, it was for my niece and she’s 18 going off to college, so I figure her younger mind will adapt to windows 8 more quickly.

Update:

Well I was wrong, after she used it for 2 weeks she called me up and said she is very frustrated with windows 8 and asked me if I could get windows 7 put onto the machine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wife is satisfied., September 2, 2013
I purchased this for my wife, and she seems satisfied with it. It seems to be a very good bargain for the price. While it is not the fastest laptop out there by a mile, it is also far from the most expensive. I think it is well worth the modest price. I have a more expensive Asus laptop, and I almost always use Asus components when I build myself a new PC. I don't think you can go wrong with them. I would have preferred something with Windows Seven instead of Eight, but they were few and far between, and my wife doesn't seem to be having any problems getting around in the new OS. Good value for someone not heavily into gaming or other resource hogging applications.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good computer, August 13, 2013
This is very fast computer, and works really well. It really do not get hot!
There are only two things I don't like about it. My old computer had a LED screen, and I thought it would make no difference, but it actually does. The LCD screen has much more glare and the resolution is not as sharp. The other thing is that this computer actually looks very fragile. The plastic case looks very cheap and I guess it would brake very easily.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality laptop, August 5, 2013
Overall very good laptop.
Would recommend it.
I had to return it since the max RAM is 8GB and I needed to expand up to16GB, but all the laptop is very fast anyhow.
Good job by Asus.

5.0 out of 5 stars thanks, July 14, 2013
this completely met all of my expectations, exactly what i was looking for and all i wanted! thanks a lot!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good performance and features but poor video, August 6, 2013
Aside from windows 8, this is good laptop. It boots up quickly, has plenty of power and memory. The sound about what you should expect from a laptop.

Updated: Video performance can be improved by allocating more memory to video card. Default is 32megs. I changed that to 512. You can adjust settings in bios when the computer boots by pressing F2 before the Asus logo shows.

Still a great laptop for work and keeping multiple apps running. Top of laptop stays cool and is comfortable to use.

Week later and I'm happy with my purchase. Windows 8 is still terrible.

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›