Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: ASUS K55A-DS71 15.6-Inch Laptop (Mocha)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on September 6, 2013
Some people rate this 5 star, but I think it's more of a four star. The win 8 system is not very handy on this gadget, because it is not touch screen.
Pros:
Good price
Good quality
Good speed
Does not become overly hot
Nice big screen
Like the keyboard, not too stiff not too loose, and has a number pad

Cons:
Speaker at bottom - sound reduces dramatically if using the laptop in bed
Operating system is tricky
Not very portable

In general I like it. Pleasant buy.
Touchpad sometimes acts funny
on August 18, 2013
Been using an ASUS K55A for over a year. We bought it as a second machine because we had been using an almost identical ASUS for a year prior to that. Both machines are great, no problems, exceed expectations, blah, blah, EXCEPT - Unlike the previous machine which had discrete left and right click buttons with the touchpad, the more recent purchase has the left and right buttons merged into the touchpad. After using both, I will never buy a computer that has one of these crappy touchpads again. It is so bad, I usually will try to wait to use the computer until I can hook up my trackball. The touchpad itself even seems to pick up on my fingers moving too close to it sometimes and I will find the cursor jumping around the screen or to a different input field. I find myself hoping the whole thing will die so we can justify going and buying something with a real touchpad with real left/right buttons.

My frustration with the touchpad issue makes me want to leave a "1 star" rating. The rest of the machine deserves "5 stars". I really can't stress enough how frustrating this thing's touchpad is. I even contacted customer service to see if I could get the touchpad swapped out for the other type, but they are physically incompatible so I'm stuck with it. I'm convinced ASUS went with this newer design because it was slightly cheaper to produce. Awesome - ASUS saved 10 cents building it and probably lost this customer for life.
on August 6, 2013
Aside from windows 8, this is good laptop. It boots up quickly, has plenty of power and memory. The sound about what you should expect from a laptop.

Updated: Video performance can be improved by allocating more memory to video card. Default is 32megs. I changed that to 512. You can adjust settings in bios when the computer boots by pressing F2 before the Asus logo shows.

Still a great laptop for work and keeping multiple apps running. Top of laptop stays cool and is comfortable to use.

Week later and I'm happy with my purchase. Windows 8 is still terrible.
on December 7, 2013
I love the laptop... but I HATE WINDOWS 8. If I could, I would take it out. The laptop is fast.. works great.. lightweight.. perfect all but that stupid windows 8, I can't figure out how to do anything.
on August 15, 2014
Using it right now. Been with it for about 9 months and going strong. The thing I love about this, is that I don't have to wait a ridiculous amount of time for it to start up and because of that I don't need a solid state drive to meet my demands (online movies, youtube, etc...). I would like to put a solid state drive in the future, but the lost of memory is crazy. This champ is doing great, my start times are easy under a minute.
I do have one complaint and I hope I just haven't looked hard enough to find the solution. The function keys!!!! To control the volume, brightness, etcetera I always have to press the function key.Windows 8 sucks without a touchscreen, but you'll get around it.
That's all folks
on November 26, 2013
Received it Nov. 8, 2013. It looks good, the keyboard is fine, the touch pad is VERY sensitive (but I like it that way, you don't have to "pound" on it). It was easy to "set" up. I have had NO ISSUES with it. Its "fast". It has NOT got hot (but I haven't run a lot of things at one time). The power supply gets warm, has NEVER been hot. The "space bar" kinda "clicks" when pressed, not loud, but just a "click" you can hear and feel (maybe its supposed to ?). The keys are silent & have a GOOD feel to them. Overall, I'm quite happy with it. I would recommend it.
This is my first impression of this laptop: I WILL BE UPDATING THIS REVIEW AS TIME GOES BY. (Nov. 26, 2013). Steve H.
on January 28, 2014
Aside from Windows 8, which I cannot locate anything within, the touchpad is pretty terrible. I like to hold a finger on the buttons to hit the scroll down arrow as I read things online, but because the buttons are not separated from the mouse section, I keep accidentally moving the mouse without noticing. The color is pretty okay, and it's a nice, fast, lightweight, cool laptop. If the touchpad was better, I'd probably give it 5 stars, but I've had to deal with using a mouse while I'm sitting on the couch, and it's not very convenient.
on July 2, 2013
5 STARS FOR ASUS. 2 STARS FOR MICROSOFT.
My second return to Amazon... not their fault.

+ PLUSES: Very good construction, visually attractive, powerful internals, clear display - no problems at all and I recommend ASUS as a company and brand of computer over the Lenovo, Dell, and HP which I checked out and bought. A better fit and finish overall than most laptops. ASUS is based in Taiwan. Lenovo is based in Beijing, China (and crazy NC).

- MINUSES: Windows 8 in this model is terrible. Just 2 days after starting the laptop up, Win 8 crashed and continues to do so at least twice a day. Search *Windows 8 crash* and there's a lot of posts on forums as well as other sites. Microsoft's forum on their site has complaints exactly like mine and have been awaiting a Microsoft person to address this problem for a good long while. NOTE: The Amazon rep said he's seeing a number of pcs and laptops with Windows 8 customer complaints and returns.

My advice is to stick with Windows 7 or Vista. Windows 8 seems to be unstable whether it's turned on fresh from being off, after sleep, or hibernation. Nothing seems to help unless one runs a registry and junk cleaner of which I use 3. So is it a Win 8 bug that causes the system to be more unstable? I think so. I just try to minimize the chance of a crash by constantly cleaning the system. I do know Amazon's live chat with a representative worked and this thing will leave this house.

Dear Microsoft: Being fat and happy will get you beat down by an upcoming OS like Chrome.

I did purchase an ASUS N55SL-ES71 15.6-Inch Laptop (8Gb RAM)... more money but I can't afford the loss of business.
on July 14, 2016
I love this laptop except for one thing--after about two years of use, the keyboard failed. The actual physical keyboard does not work on the laptop anymore and I have to use a USB keyboard. That has never happened on any other laptop I have ever owned, and it's very strange and annoying. The keyboard isn't just keys, it's one big piece that has to be taken out of the back of the unit (after you take out all of the other guts of the machine) and replaced, which means it is a pain in the !$Q^!#$ to replace and I don't want to deal with it.
Plus side, this is a powerful machine and I have never had any errors, blue screens, none of that, it is still humming along and handles a lot of work and a lot of powerful software.
on August 15, 2013
I have using this laptop for a week now, I enjoy it very much. I know how everyone compliant about the Windows 8, but I guess I got used to it. The hardware of the laptop is very nicely design. But my only critic about the hardware is that the right-shift shares its area with the up-arrow, and the number 0 for the number pad is too small. Also, the number lock keep turning off every time I restart, shutdown, or leave the laptop to sleep. It bothers me. But everything else is fine. 5/5 stars