I recently bought a Nexus 7 and iPad mini for a new job and use them heavily on a daily basis. I also have a Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 for personal use. So when the opportunity came up to test this new Asus MeMo Pad 8, I was excited to test it alongside my other tablets.

Published 7 months ago by Kaio

3.0 out of 5 stars Very nice device
Published 7 months ago by suzatm

5.0 out of 5 stars Nexus 7 vs. MeMo 8 - In other words, Asus vs. Asus (+ Fire HDX & iPad mini info), June 21, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

The MeMo's footprint falls somewhere between the iPad mini and Nexus. It's actually closest to the iPad mini, however it has an HD display, while the iPad does not; so there's really only a slight size variance between the two. The MeMo is very thin and light. I'd say the weight feels is about on par with my Nexus 7 with only a slight difference. I used to think my HDX was super thin and light; and it is, however compared to my Nexus, and now this Memo, my HDX soon felt bulky and heavy by comparison. I do love the larger screen on my HDX, though these smaller footprint screens are starting to really grow on me. I think this MeMo may offer the best of all words though, since it falls squarely in between all competitors as far as size and weight. My iPad mini, by contrast (covers the iPad's ears so as not to hurt its feelings) feels more like an obese, outdated clunker compared to my other 3 tablets. Don't get me wrong, I love my iPad mini too, just not as much as my other children. (there, I said it!)

Under the hood, this MeMo is almost as good as my Nexus. Both feature quad core processors but MeMo only has 1gb of RAM compared to Nexus' 2gb. Also, Nexus has a much richer display with better resolutions, but MeMo comes close. Both Nexus and MeMo are made by Asus, and it almost seems like MeMo is their answer to their own creation, only this time, without the flagship Nexus name.

Price wise, Nexus and MeMo are also very close. I paid just over 220 for a 32gb Nexus and this MeMo seems poised to start out at 200 for 16gb, which is comparable to the 16gb Nexus price. However, I feel confident MeMo's price will drop slightly after the initial launch. Personally, I think it's worth a few extra bucks to double your disk space and get the Nexus, but MeMo does have an SD slot, so it is expandable, while Nexus is not.

Here's some basic comparison specs between the 2 Asus models:

Nexus 7 = 114 x 200 x 8.65 mm

MeMo 8 microSD Slot = Yes
Nexus 7 microSD Slot = No

MeMo 8 = Ships with KitKat Android 4.4
Nexus 7 = ships with Jelly Bean Android 4.3 with a 4.4 upgrade available for download

So you can see how both tablets are very close in specs. Personally, using both side by side, I clearly have to give the edge to Nexus. The speed and performance is just all around better. Plus the slightly smaller footprint just works better for me. However, the MeMo is a close second and I think the power and volume buttons, though similar to Nexux, somehow are more convenient to use.

Both MeMo and Nexus have excellent cameras. but MeMo adds a nifty auto selfie and time rewind feature. Time rewind basically shoots live video while you're taking pictures and lets you rewind frame by frame to get the exact still shot wanted from any given moment being photographed. Cool and it works well.

MeMo adds a host of free premium content that may or may not be of interest to anyone. Plus MeMo gives 500gb of free Asus cloud storage for 2 years; after which, subscription fees apply. Most of the freebies are nothing I want, but it's a nice add on all the same.

Browsing and performance are really good; web pages loaded fast and app downloads went smoothly (unlike iPad which downloads and installs at a crawl by comparison.) Wifi has an excellent range and I had no connection issues. The screen is very responsive and displays beautifully. All functions well and I have no real complaints.

Bottom Line - MeMo is a solid competitor to Kindle Fire HDX and a close second to the Nexus 7. iPad mini, on the other hand, is solidly left in the dust by all of the tablets I personally own. Remember, I have all 4 in hand, so I have tried them all head to head. By far, iPad mini is in last place, and costs the most. First place, without a doubt, is Nexus 7. MeMo and HDX will just have to duke it out among themselves to win your heart and dollars. Personally, I'm glad I have all of them for different reasons. However, if I had to pick just one, it would definitely be Nexus 7. But MeMo is still a 5 star tablet. Very nicely done; but then, you really can't go wrong with Asus. They have quickly become my new favorite brand. I've been a fan since the motherboard days and they continue to impress me with innovation and quality gizmos. This is a great tablet. Just decide what's most important to you and go with that. Remember, MeMo is the only one with a microSD slot, so if that matters to you, this is your winner.

UPDATE 6/22/14
Additional Info:

Speakers - they're actually quite good. I'd say the quality is better than Nexus 7 but not as good as Fire HDX.

Performance - the slower CPU shows its limits on some graphic intensive games. Nexus 7 renders everything smoothly, while MeMo has some stutters and hiccups. Nothing serious, but if you're a gamer this might be an issue.

Cosmetic - MeMo feels really nice in the hand. It has a rubbery sorta backing, reminiscent to my old Toshiba Thrive. iPad mini feels awful in the hand without a case; slick and clinical, begging to be covered by a decent case. MeMo 8 will also ultimately go in a smart case too (when something decent comes available) but it also feels quite good in the hand as is. However, the tablet is in need of a case to help prop it up while in use.

Buttons - the volume and power buttons are reversed from Nexus. This feels a little counterintuitive as it places the volume on the far left, and the power just to the right of that. I guess I don't power off my tablets very often though, so maybe this will prove to be the best placement over time; but for now, it feels a bit odd. The size and shape of the buttons are better than Nexus. MeMo's are a little larger and easier to press.

Screen Capture - if you don't know already, to capture a screenshot of whatever is on your tablet's screen, just press the volume down and power buttons at the same time. Captures are automatically saved to your device and can even be automatically uploaded to Dropbox if you have the app. Given the button placement, screenshots are a little easier on MeMo than Nexus. However, Fire HDX has the best button placement and functionality IMO.

Camera Placement - Fire HDX has the best camera placement and integration with their Origami case (best tablet case ever BTW) Both Nexus 7 and MeMo 8 have placed the front camera on the left center of the frame, which means your thumb will easily get in the way and cause smudges on the lens. The rear cameras on both are located on the upper right back (basically opposite the front camera, but on the top corner) Again, Fire HDX has the best camera placement and function.

No Flash - MeMo 8 and Nexus 7 both lack a camera flash.

Color Scheme - MeMo 8 is very pleasing to the eye. The menus are inviting and easy to see. It is actually very similar to iPad's menu design, however the fonts are larger easier to read on MeMo 8. (even setting iPad's font to Large did not help much in this area.)

Bloatware - Asus includes a lot of extra apps and stuff on MeMo that were not included on Nexus 7. Some of it is useful, but some isn't. And it doesn't appear these redundant apps can be disabled, which could be a problem down the road if disk space becomes an issue.

Quick Setting Menu - like most tablets, just slide your finger down from the top right of the screen to reveal the Quick Setting menu. MeMo's is laid out quite nicely with a host of colorful and inviting icons to choose from. Easy tweaks that you'll use most often, all right there.

Fingerprints - Fire HDX seems to be impervious to collecting smudges fingerprints on the screen. MeMo 8, on the other hand, seems to attract them much easier than both HDX and Nexus. Its not terribly bad, but definitely an issue. A screen protector may be in order.

That's all for now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Asus has a winner here! (updated 7/23, 11/8), June 28, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My enthusiasm for a device is hard won. This is not my first, or even second or third tablet. I have been carrying one for circa 10 years, starting with the Nokia 770 Internet Tablet PC. I spent much time and energy last year looking for a suitable replacement for my Archos 70b Internet 7-Inch Tablet (8GB) when the battery died (unfortunately it needs to be shipped to France for service, which is the only issue I have with Archos). I have been carrying their tablets for a long time, and am still in love with my Archos 5/500. I have a Kindle Fire HD 7", HD Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB - Includes Special Offers and a ASUS TF700T-B1-GR 10.1-Inch Tablet (Gray) 2012 Model as well as an Archos 101 G9 8GB - Classic which was purchased as a family tablet for watching videos (and entertaining kids) during travel. It could be argued that I have enough tablets, but it was a matter of finding one which was just right for day to day use. I find the 7 inch screen on the kindle too small for me to read comfortably and a 10 inch tablet feels like a brick in my purse. I went in pursuit of an 8 inch tablet, but also a bit too late as Amazon had sold out of the Archos 80 titanium (which looks to be practically unobtainable at this point). I tried the Lenovo Yoga Tablet 8 - 16gb, ASUS MeMO Pad FHD 10 ME302C-A1-BL 10.1-Inch 16GB Tablet (Blue), and NOOK HD+ 9" 32GB Tablet and found them all wanting in some way, ultimately settling on the Transformer, which does give me everything I want, but is a bit larger than what I want to carry. Many of the tech and benchmarking sites I looked to for in depth reviews said to hold off and wait for the Bay Trail processor, and, here it is.

The Asus Memo does not in any way feel or behave like a budget tablet. It is equipped with the newly released Intel Bay trail 1.3 Ghz quad core processor, a fast, efficient and cool processor optimized for mobile devices, and Intel HD integrated graphics coprocessor. It loads just about as fast as the Kindle HDX , no mean feat, as Amazon equipped the hdx with the fastest processor available. It also has a high-res WXGA IPS screen with 10 point touch. (I nixed more than 1 tablet for sub-optimal display).

The sound is really nice for a tablet, though as with any other, better sound can be achieved with headphones. Because of the fast processor, streaming music on Amazon prime was a joy, so much so that it delayed my installing apps and updating the systems files ;)

It is beautifully thin and light with edge to edge glass, virtually no bezel. Unlike the prior generation, this does not look or feel like a budget tablet, and does not feel like a brick in my purse :) It is just about the ideal size, a nice balance of size to weight ratio. I do not feel like I am making any trade-offs carrying it.

The tablet includes front and rear cameras and records HD video as well. The 5 mp rear camera is among the best available on mobile devices.

Asus's android skin is clean, not loaded with bloatware and gives you a good deal of control. It is nicely designed and intuitive. If you have used an android device before you should not have any difficulty learning to use or customizing this tablet.

One of the benefits I have found of purchasing a tablet from an electronics company is open access. You can download apps from Amazon, Google, or any other marketplace you choose. If I have any issue with this tablet at all it is how closely bound to Google it is. They ask you to input your Google account or register for one on start-up, and Google keeps trying to grab control. I have real issues with Google's intrusions on privacy, and choose to keep them off my devices. One of the first things I did was to install Amazon's app store (which you can do without going through Google by going to amazon.com/getappstore).

The next thing I did was to install Kaspersky Lab Security for Android (2-User) which I would recommend as the best all around protection I have found yet.

In sum:
5 stars for speed/ processor : Intel Bay Trail with Intel HD graphics

5 stars for design/ build: and ultra thin tablet with edge to edge glass, quality look and feel

5 stars for display: WXGA IPS display with 10 point touch

5 stars for sound: about the best sounding tablet I have tried, even using the speakers!

4 stars for android skin: Asus has nice clean android skin which gives you plenty of control. I gave it 4 stars because you do not get quite as much control as with Archos (which is wide-open)

5 stars for access: You can choose to download from virtually any android marketplace

5 Stars for value: a beautifully designed, full-featured tablet at a budget price.

There is not much not to like in this tablet. Although it comes in at the high end of the budget range, it gives you quite a lot for the money. I do not believe you can get a better 8 inch tablet for this price at the current time, and I know, I've looked (and looked).

_______________
Updating to add a link to the AmazonBasics 8-Inch Tablet Sleeve , a trim lightweight neoprene sleeve, which offers shock protection and some water resistance without adding weight or bulk, at a very attractive price. It fits this tablet perfectly! It is not flashy or a fashion accessory, but if you are looking for moderate protection without added weight, bulk, or much expense, this sleeve does the job.

-------------------------------7/12/2014 update------------------------------------------------
I am updating this review to add some information on processor performance/ comparisons. Not long after I got this I was told that my daughter somehow blew up her desktop and laptop and tablet at roughly the same time (Ok, maybe didn't blow up, but they are not working). She is a pretty sophisticated and demanding user, having done IT support for her (engineering) college for a couple of years, so if I buy her something suboptimal she will be back on the hunt almost immediately ;)

I was surprised (and impressed) to see that the Bay trail processor outperforms the tegra 3 (on the Asus transformer infinity 2013) and matches the performance of the tegra 4 (trnsformer infinity 2014). It also outperformed all the ARM processors (most of what is on the market) and topped the lexus 7 and Nvidia shild, being topped on speed only by the intel core i3,5,7, seldom found on mobile devices.

It looks like I am comparing this only to the ASUS Tranformer book ASUS Transformer Book T100TA-C1-GR(S) 10.1" Detachable 2-in-1 Touchscreen Laptop, 64GB (Grey) and ASUS Transformer Pad TF103C-A1-Bundle 10.1-Inch Tablet with Keyboard Bundle (Black) which is essentially this tablet with a 10" display and keyboard dock, or to a full sized laptop.
If you are trying to decide between these models, the Transformer book is a windows 8 (or 8.1) machine, while the Transformer pad is android (and almost identical to this tablet but for the size and dock).
If you need the ports, get the one with the dock. It has other benefits as well, being a charging station and extending battery life, as well as providing a physical keyboard (though a bluetooth keyboard can be used with the tablet as well).

Well done indeed!

This is a lot of performance for the money, and it looks like I will be buying 2 more in short order (for both of my kids) as little brother is bound to point out that all he has is the ipad provided by his school (and I did kind of promise him one as I waxed poetic about the performance of this little tablet ;)

---------------------------------------7/20/2014 update---------------------------------------

I am updating my review again to note that I while playing with the settings discovered that it is possible to disable pre-installed apps! This gives you a good deal of control over your device (more than most currently offer) and helps extend battery life a good deal. (Most if not all Google apps run in the background eating up memory).

For me it makes an enormous difference because as a psychologist I have to safeguard contact and calender information. My solution up to this point has been to carry a separate tablet which I keep offline. It looks like it might be possible for me to disable the apps which threaten the privacy of my clients, potentially enabling me to use one tablet instead of 2. For me, this is a boon, as I purchased several tablets in the past year looking for a solution, one which would enable me to store contact and calender information securely. Because Google apps pick up that information I have not been able to use my tablets as I have in the past without keeping them offline. It looks like I might be able to do that with this tablet. I am liking it more every day!

-------------------------------------7/23 update----------------------------------------------
A quick update to note that the operating system updated yesterday adding the option of full tablet encryption! As I said in my last update, I am liking this tablet better every day. It is now one of the most secure tablets available out of the box because of the ability to disable programs which are effectively spyware and to encrypt the entire tablet.

______________________________________ 11/8 update ____________________________________________

This update is, more than anything else, to comment on user experience. After 5 months of use this has become my primary tablet. This is something of a surprise as I spent months and several hundred dollars finding the ideal tablet, ultimately settling on the transformer. That is a gorgeous and very solid tablet, but because if it's size and weight, is not something i carry on a daily basis. This has lived in my bag since I got it and really does everything I need it to do.

I also wanted to point out that Asus used Corning Gorilla glass on this tablet (as they did on the transformer) the same glass used on its' white-sheathed competitor (the one with the other OS ;) ). Corning Gorilla glass is tough, scratch-resistent, nearly unbreakable. I forgot to put a screen protector on this tablet, and after months of carrying it in my purse, it looks as good as new. As far as I know, no one else uses Gorilla glass on their budget tablet. Really, the only things "budget" about this tablet are the plastic back and the price tag. If you want a really nice looking tablet, the transformer is the ticket, with its' spun-aluminum shell. I think if I were looking now, the only other tablets which I would consider are the new transformer (which is marginally faster, and has an aluminum shell,) Lenovo Yoga 10 HD+ 10-Inch Tablet (59411051) or Lenovo flex (11-17 inch) now that Lenovo has updated and improved their display. I still think I would settle on this tablet because of it's weight, and the substantial price difference.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid device for a small price though I still like my Nexus 7, July 10, 2014
Grieger (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I already have a Google Nexus 7 (2013) which is also made by ASUS but with different specs (more memory, different CPU) so my experience is colored by the comparison.

First off, ASUS has customized the UI significantly (not forked, just customized). It actually looks nice and I've got to say the keyboard is a lot better if only because they've fit a lot more characters and options/punctuation on the first board without having to switch to alternates. Definitely loved that.

Since it's 4.4, the rest of the OS is largely the same and runs the same as my Nexus 7 (which I upgraded to 4.4 from 4.3). However, except for ASUS-specific apps--the browser, mail and other core apps were defaulted to ASUS versions though you can always use the Google ones--there was a noticeable amount of lag at points using different apps. For instance, I was playing Hay Day (don't judge me!) and app switching would lag several seconds at times. Other apps would often feel this way as well. My guess is it's the lower RAM (1 versus 2) but it bothered me. I understand this device is cheaper--especially since my Nexus 7 is a 7" and the comparable MeMO Pad is $150 so the price difference is fairly substantial. Bear in mind, though, the MeMO Pad's CPU is more powerful from what little research I've done (I'm not an expert here). I never ran into this sort of hiccup on the Nexus 7. It's possible a little further down the line, the CPU differences might become more obvious but I didn't notice it.

I do have to call out the included battery management app ASUS included. I'm using a third-party one on my Nexus 7 and it can make...interesting choices. The ASUS one seemed a lot smarter about power management. Honestly, if I could buy that app and run it on my Nexus 7, I think I would.

Also, speaking of games, a problem that seems to exist in both devices is heat. One corner can get blazing hot, likely the CPU getting a workout. Not exactly a negative (you're getting a very slim device with a solid CPU) but at times I worry the device is gonna catch fire or something.

Beyond the above, the device is otherwise pretty solid. I can't say it blew me away or anything but that's why I mentioned the Nexus 7. Technically I got a chance to be blown away when I got the Nexus 7. This just tells me ASUS can still build good devices. I'm just not sure about the software. I get that they're trying to get the device to stand out but I'd rather they just threw in that modified keyboard and left the rest of the apps to Google and other providers.

Should you get this device? It really depends on what you're looking for in a device. You're saving a decent amount of money versus the Nexus 7 which can be important. It's running on 4.4 so you can use the same apps and that keyboard is great for me. You're getting a larger screen which is nice as well (there is a 7" MeMO Pad that's $50 less so bear that in mind as well). Personally, having used the two devices, I find myself slanting towards the Nexus 7. The additional memory/smoother experience combined with a slightly thinner form factor satisfy me more. Plus, I prefer the "default" Android style over the ASUS "flat" style, as nice as it is. If performance matters to you, you may want to try the Google Nexus 7. But, if you want the larger screen (and expanded keyboard) along with the better CPU while saving some money versus the Nexus 7, you really can't go wrong with this device.

5.0 out of 5 stars MeMo Pad 8: Does Tablety Things Just Like a Tablet!, September 24, 2014
As a poor university student I wasted many an hour browsing through obscure tech reviews, neck-bearded unboxing videos and product specification spreadsheets in an effort to find a cheap and functional tablet. Eventually I sort of gave up and chose the MeMo Pad 8 as it was cheap, fairly popular and had Android 4.4. It may not be the best, I figured, but it'll do the job.

Guess what? It does the job! My main reason for buying a tablet was to make reading long online academic articles a bit more pleasent. This tablet has a nice screen (not 'retina', but a great resolution for reading and watching videos) and the free Adobe Reader app is fantastic. I can now read articles on the bus, on the toilet, under a tree, on the beach, in my bed, on a chair, in the kitchen, in the library, beside the library, at the library coffee shop, walking to the library... You catch my drift, I'm sure. The point being, for the functionality I needed, this tablet is fantastic. It has a neat 'reading mode' that cuts some colours out of the screen to make reading easier on the eyes and all the functions are neatly organized and accessable. So yes, you can read with it!

But wait, there's more! This thing is really well built. I was expecting nothing more than a cheap piece of plastic that lit up and made beeping noises but the MeMo Pad is solid, fancy feeling and - for those of you with an oddly specific fetish for budget tablets - kinda sexy. The speaker is great and the tablet does really well with video. The cameras are ideal for getting shots that put a grainy, poorly exposed and out of focus spin on the world, much like the way the world looked that one time you drank too many tequila shots, puked and then lost your glasses on a windy, trash-strewn beach.

What else is there to say? I paired it with an iclever bluetooth keyboard of some sort and it works really well. The email app is great and it's now easier than ever to waste time on facebook. Overall, I think it was money well spent and I'm sure I'll get enough use out of it. The battery has been lasting for around 2 days of fairly heavy use. If you're a student like me with access to a computer but the desire for something more portable to read with, I think you'll be very well served by this tablet.

It gets 5/5 stars for doing tabelty things just like a tablet!

3.0 out of 5 stars Very nice device, June 24, 2014
suzatm (PA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a really nice device. I had the MeMo Pad HD7 and really liked it but the screen was too small for my liking and my niece gladly adopted it from me. The 8 inch is a really nice size (I wish Amazon would make their Paperwhite in this size). It is tall and slim and easy to hold. I need to get use to the very slim sides - I've accidentally held it and found myself turning pages when I wasn't ready, but the bottom area is wider and is a comfortable place to hold on to while reading. It is very light - close to the IPad Mini (which I also have and love). The screen is beautiful and I have to say that the screen colors in pictures and movies are more vibrant than the IPad mini. The MeMo was very easy to set up and get started with. Everything downloaded very quickly - email was easy to set up and adjusting the home page to the way I wanted it to look was very easy also. I use my tablets mainly for reading - holding all of my Nook, Kobo and Kindle books. Downloading my books was very easy and quick. In using the browser for surfing I found that it was not as quick as the IPad mini and several times I was kicked off but I assume that is normal for all tablets - the mini does it also. Wifi connection is stable and far better than the Mini which drops the connection a lot when I am in my bedroom which is two floors away from the router. I did find that there were times that the screen was unresponsive to my touch requiring me to shut it down and bring it back up. Also I was a little disappointed in the battery life. I keep my screen light very low (though at the lowest setting it is still too bright for me, especially at night. Thank goodness for the screen filter app) so I was very surprised when I went to bed and it was 97% and when I opened it up in the morning it was 73% - I'll have to keep watch on this. The sound from the headphones is good - comparable to the Ipad mini. Pictures taken with the MeMo - in my opinion - are no better and no worse than the IPad mini. I really, really like the back of the device. It has a slightly rubberized feel to it - it is not slippery in your hands or on your lap and it does not show fingerprints. Right now there are few covers out there available for the MeMo but with the non-slippery back I would be happy to keep it uncovered. The screen is the same as the IPad mini and other tablets in that it does show your prints - I don't think there is any way to get around that. I was happy to hear it had the SD card to increase your memory but very disappointed that when I tried to move things onto the card - it refused to accept it. The device recognizes the card and space available but I just can't get things to move over. Still all in all I am happy with the MeMo 8 and would definitely recommend it to someone who wants a quality looking/well performing tablet for a low cost. I think Asus has come a long way from the first MeMo 7 whose battery life was horrible. I hope the 8 inch size will be kept around for a long time. Now I am interested to seeing which device I start carrying with me more (Mini or MeMo) - that will be the final seal of approval.

UPDATE: i have lowered my rating a star after using this device further because of the battery life. I charged the MeMo last night to be ready to take it to work. The battery was at 100% but in the morning when I woke it up the battery indicated 65%.. The difference between the MeMo and the iPad mini is that the mini only discharges no more than 5% if that overnight. I guess the solution is always to shut it down completely but I feel you shouldn't have to. This device is a very nice piece of equipment and I really do like reading on it. i just wish the battery life was more stable. Hopefully it is just a problem with the one I received and not all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive "budget" tablet, July 5, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm really very, very pleased with this "budget" Android tablet.

First, the form factor is very nice. It is thin with minimal side borders and a nicely "grippy" back. It is much like the iPad Mini, but narrower and slightly thinner.

The screen is bright and the "modest" 1280x800 resolution is absolutely fine for this size device. In a pinch, I would use this as a reader in place of my Kindle Paperwhite.

I work for a game developer and I was very curious to see how this tablet would do running our Unity-based apps that are in development (and therefore not fully performance tuned). This is where the Asus really surprised me. There were no stutters or hesitations at all. Everything ran flawlessly.

I am well and truly impressed by this tablet. In fact, ignoring the different eco-systems, I actually prefer this to the iPad Mini. I also find the slightly extra space in this 8" form factor is preferable to the Nexus 7 (2nd generation) that I have used as my Android device in the past

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent 8" Tablet for the $$$, November 26, 2014
This tablet is an excellent buy, especially when I compared it to other 8" tablets, even the Samsung 4 8". My wife has a Nexus 7 which is really a nice tablet, but I really like having an 8" display better than the 7" on the Nexus. You get a lot of bang for the buck with this unit. It's fast, has plenty of storage space, the display is sharp, it's light and feels good in your hand as well as easy to hold. I bought the IVSO Asus Memo Pad 8 Ultra Lightweight Slim Smart Cover Case with Auto-Sleep and Wake-up. The two are made for each other. Back to the tablet, I found the battery life to be very good on this tablet; just charge it fully before you begin using it, run the battery all the way down to the tablet shutting off by itself and then fully recharge again. Do this at least 2-3 times and you'll be happy with the battery run time. For those that felt the battery life wasn't very good - you need to have the unit turn off WiFi automatically when you put it in sleep mode, otherwise it is using battery power all night (duh). You can do this in settings. I don't particularly like all the apps that come pre-loaded on the tablet, but everyone does that. Other than that, my only real, and biggest complaint is that Asus gives you the impression that you can put an SD card in it and thereby gain more storage space. Well, I think that that is only half true. Moving apps to the SD card is not as simple as downloading an 'App 2 SD' app and let it do what it is designed to do. The Asus tablet hardware will not allow that type of app to work on it. I've used such apps on many Android cellphones and the apps worked flawlessly. Why Asus chose to not allow these apps to do this, I don't know! (Hey Asus, are you listening?!) However, all that being said, there is a work around within the tablet itself, that I think allows you to move apps from internal memory to an installed SD card, but I'm not sure if it actually does it or not, as I have not loaded enough apps on my tablet yet to be able to really tell (I've only had it a week). But it seems like it does do this. You install an SD card in the tablet, then go to 'Settings', choose 'Apps' in the dropdown list, then select the installed app you want to move to the card, then select or touch the 'Move to SD card' button. Otherwise, to save space on the internal memory of the tablet, you need to load all your music, fotos, and other stuff from a computer, via a card reader, onto the SD card, and then put it into the tablet. All in all, I am very happy with this tablet, it's a breeze to set up, the WiFi reception is very good, the screen nicely sensitive to the touch, and I think it is bright enough for most people's use. I haven't used it out of doors yet, in bright sunlight, but indoors the display is very nice (and I only have mine at 50%. I almost forgot to mention, the speakers are very good on this tablet too, listen to the sound samples installed on it, you'll see what I mean.
Hope this review is helpful to you in your quest for a tablet.
12/5/14 This is an amendment to my original/previous review. This is with regards to moving installed apps to the SD card. It cannot be done, regardless of how you try to do it. Yes, they WILL move, but when you do move the apps to an SD card they will disappear in time; actually, the icons of the apps moved to the SD card become 'greyed-out' and when you touch them to open them, you'll see a message at the bottom of the screen that says, "app not installed". This is sad. So, please DO NOT move your apps to the SD card as I said you could above. However, if you put music or other files on the card, they will remain. I didn't put any photos on the card, but I did put some music on it, and it has remained and is available to play the music. I would still give this tablet 4 stars, because other than that issue of not being able to move apps to the SD card, this is an excellent tablet. Asus, fix this via a firmware update and you'll have a 5 star tablet. Sometimes I think 3.5 stars would be more appropriate due to this issue; and maybe if the overall rating was more like 3 - 3.5 stars, Asus would do something about it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Tablet Is Terrific!, October 14, 2014
This tablet deserves 7 stars or even 8. It's a "15" on a 10-point scale. Has absolutely everything (to meet my needs) at a bargain price. After spending a few dozen hours researching these gadgets and reading PC magazine reviews, I settled on this Asus. Fabulous choice.

This Asus just seems to have the total package of features that no other manufacturer could come close to in this price range (none that I could find, anyway). Examples: Most of the others seemed to have an Android 4.1 OS. This Asus is 4.4. The others had either a front or a rear camera. This Asus has both. The others had 7" screens. This is 8". Higher memory: 8 GBs (others) vs. 16 (Asus). Average battery life: ~4.5 hours (others) vs. 9 (Asus [although 9 might be just a tad on the high side]). Most of the others had Wi-Fi but not Bluetooth; this 181C has both. Higher resolution: The others were mostly 1024x600 (or lower); the Asus is 1280x800. The Asus has an Intel processor. (My local computer-repair person, who I know well and who has worked several miracles for me, swears by Intel.) The speaker quality is infinitely better on this Asus than on my laptop, which cost 3 times as much! Two PC magazine reviews that I had read gave this model very high marks across the board. One of these reviews had only one complaint: that the resolution wasn't clear enough, but I disagree with that observation. Everything on the Asus seems crystal-clear to me.

As if all of that weren't enough, Asus even throws in some free goodies as well (e.g., lifetime cloud storage).

Although I'm 99.999999% satisfied, there is one thing that could be improved: the owner's manual. It seems to be written for people who are very familiar with tablets. I wasn't, so I found it a bit difficult to learn from. Its organization is off somewhat too: One of the first subjects to be addressed in the manual is "How to change a memory card." Many other subjects should be explained, it seems to me, before we learn about memory cards. That is, however, a very small point. And there's a remedy: The Asus Web site has an FAQ section that I found to be quite helpful.

The reason why I'm writing this review is because these kinds of comments from other people helped me a lot when I was researching my purchase. So, I'm trying to return the favor.

Bottom line: Save yourselves a lot of time comparing and assessing. This tablet is terrific!

5.0 out of 5 stars a good basic tablet, July 27, 2014
Length:: 3:13 Mins

This is my second tablet; our household already has a Nexus 7. This unit powers up fast, has a vivid and easily readable display, and has good wireless access to my home router even on the far side of the house. When setting up the tablet for first use, the tablet itself highly intuitive and user-friendly, although the online account setup can be balky. Any missteps in first-time entry on the ASUS online account may cause ASUS to (1) tell you your password is invalid but (2) refuse to reset password through the normal process because there is no such account. Try using an alternative e-mail address and that should work, but try to be slow and careful with this part of the setup.

The unit ships with a very brief little paper manual, along with a micro USB cable (male-to-male) and an AC power adapter (into which the USB cable will plug). The USB cable will also allow your tablet to physically connect with, say, your laptop or desktop if you with to exchange files or software.

Users can download a manual at http://www.service.asus.com/ (go to "download drivers, BIOS, manuals and firmware"), look for "memo pad 8", and you'll find (at this writing) 33 PDF manual files, in various languages including English ("version E8492" is the manual, not the model, number). This manual is helpful, well-designed and should answer most questions. It's a lot more helpful than the little flyer that comes in the box.

Battery durability is excellent and I haven't had to plug the AC charger yet; interaction with PC USB ports has given more of a recharge than I had expected. I have had a MicroSD chip (not included) in this unit for some time as well and haven't noticed any significant battery drain, at least not of the sort that other reviewers mention. The tablet ships with a large number of apps, some immediately useful (e.g., the Chrome browser). Its type pad is fairly easy to use on a screen this size, though I've found the microphone to be helpful -- and responsive -- for voice commands.

Two minor quibbles: I'm getting a slight crackle at times from the tablet speaker. This may be my own learning curve as to its sensitivity; I do notice if I use headphones with a mini-stereo jack (which the tablet accepts) the sound is flawless. Other problem is that the screen is fairly reflective, which can be a slight problem, and it does collect fingerprints.

Overall, a good basic tablet. Highly recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Corrected Problem, Rating Back Up, June 26, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
In the literal sea of tablet offerings in the 7 to 8 inch class, it takes a lot to impress and it appears Asus is trying its level best to do so. The real question is, have they succeeded?

Boasting an Intel quad core Atom processor and a high resolution screen playing the newest Android 4.4 OS, it appears Asus is attempting to stand out in the $200 crowd.

But can they succeed? Previous MeMO versions sold at the big box stores did okay but were nothing spectacular and the tablet field is inundated with offerings that cost less (or more) so the competition is tough and standing out is even tougher. Making matters worse for this field is the Apple iPad Mini which comes in with a higher price but a larger cache.

For starters, this does pack the Intel processor and the newer OS, but Asus adding their own OS overlay called ZenUI, a design in which the start screen packs a lot of information that you can personalize; however, to be truthful there is only so much you can pack into such small real estate.

The Asus also has a screen resolution normally found on larger screen units which does result in bright colors, vivid pics and non-stuttering videos plus you get the ubiquitous dual cameras, front and rear, but so does just about everybody else.

Unfortunately, in an attempt to lengthen battery life, Asus took the low road and set screen brightness so low that even at maximum you're still pretty dim. Readable, but still a bit dim.

As for aesthetic qualities, they could best be described as minimalistic. If nothing else, it's a flush, compact unit with nary a protrusion anywhere. Buttons are flush mounted yet easily located and the rear surface is dimpled and easy to grasp and the only noticeable bumps on the front consist of the outside case border around the glass. Otherwise it's smooth sailing, literally.

Note to manufacturers -- it's nice to offer tablets in wild or sedate colors, but don't make an issue about it -- 99% of us are going to bury these in protective cases and only superheroes with x-ray vision will ever notice.

In my testing I did find overall operations to be snappy and downright quick. Battery life was a reasonable 7 to 8 hours which is about 1 hour shy of stated ratings. In my experience this is about standard with manufacturer specs being about 1 hour off real world testing. Video fluttering was nearly non-existent and apps flew open nearly as quickly as I could tap the icons.

What probably helps the most here is the inclusion of Android 4.4, aka, Kit Kat (considering the logo is the Android robot made to look like the candy bar, one can only wonder what Google had to pay for those rights), the newest and fastest incantation in the Android line. It adds tweaks and gizmos galore that will keep the average geek occupied for a while.

And this is where the Asus outshines the Apple Mini -- the OS. While iOS is a worthy competitor it lacks on-screen interactivity and widgets, in general. Android has design and spark with vivid interactivity and the high resolution screen of the Asus helps a lot (although detractors state its overall specs are light, they fail to realize this is small package delivering the screen quality of a larger notebook).

So, does the MeMO have any faults? There are a few but they are relatively minor:

* Who thought of moving the camera to the right edge from the center mounted variety found on earlier models? This means users may get hands or fingers in the way (especially in landscape mode) and all older cases will no longer work even though the unit may fit.

* Music and sound reproduction, although highly touted by Asus, is acceptable but not outstanding. As one would expect, much better with headphones but as a standalone the sound is barely passable (and made worse by adding a case).

* Screen brightness is limited and possibly too much so. Even turning off the battery saving features didn't make the screen too much brighter.

So, is the Asus a good buy? In the $200 category, most definitely so. Sure beats the competition in most respects and going any lower in price is a sure bet on disappointment.

Update, 09/25/14

After 4 months am I still enthused by this model? Sorry, I had to drop a couple stars for the following:

* Every once in a while but at least twice a week, the speaker starts crackling and popping. It goes away in a couple seconds but it makes no sense in that I'm not using the speakers at all in most cases. It most recently did it in my public library when I had the unit muted. This does not bode well.

* Waking up from sleep mode is dicey. Sometimes it will, sometimes it won't and it's getting worse. Occasionally a gray screen will appear and hang around for 15 or so seconds before my home screen shows.

* Going back to the home page from any app is equally perplexing. More often than not the icons are nowhere to be found. Fortunately, if I hang around long enough they will reappear.

It appears my initial enthusiasm for this unit has been somewhat tempered by recent events but for something that's just a few months old you can see my concerns.

Update, 10/10/14

The problem mentioned in the previous update got so bad the unit started to become unresponsive. So much so, I thought it had died when, in fact, it had gone to a gray screen.

Finally talked to a guy at a local office supply store who is something of a tech and he mentioned customers had been griping about this problem, too.

Turns out the tablet isn't bad, but a recent Android update has literally butchered the Zen UI that's included with this model and I guess the manufacturer hasn't quite gotten around to correcting it yet (if they are aware of it at all). As a result, icons disappear on a random basis and getting the unit awake from sleep mode is anything but graceful or quick.

Here's the workaround. Install the Apex Launcher offered in the Play Store and when given the option make sure this launcher takes over for the Zen UI.

That problem is now solved. Icons come up instantly and waking up from sleep is back to a couple seconds.

As for the popping noise, it still comes in every once in a while but the sound works fine otherwise. I won't ding on that for now until I'm sure the update didn't do that, too (again, that problem didn't surface until the update).

ASUS MeMO Pad 8 ME181C-A1-WH 8-Inch Tablet (White)
$199.00 $186.85