ASUS MeMO Pad 8 16GB Tablet (ME180A-A1-WH) White
Price:$154.98 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on December 5, 2013
This tablet has been available for over two weeks and still no reviews yet! So here goes.

Looks just like the other Asus tablets (the MeMO HD 7 and 10) as far as the layout. Here are the major specs:

8-inch 1280x800 HD IPS display
Quad-core powered processor (AMD 1.6Ghz)
30% more screen space than a 7-inch tablet
5 MP rear camera and 1.2 MP front camera to capture life's moments
Micro SD card slot for expandability
1GB DDR memory
3950mAh lithium polymer battery with up to 9 hours battery life
1 Micro USB port

Based on owning the Memo 7 HD with 16GB and having used several other earlier versions of the Asus brand tablets, here are my observations for the ASUS 8" tablet.

Overall ASUS tablet comments:

The 7 inch tablet has been average in reliability. Expect the same for the 8 inch model. I did have one instance where the tablet would not charge at all. I emailed ASUS and received a standard troubleshooting email in 2 days. While it was helpful and gave me directions on how to return the tablet if necessary, it did not solve my problem. I was able to get the unit charged by using a high quality charger (yes, it was an Apple I-Pod charger that brought my ASUS HD 7 back to life.) The battery life has been about average for a tablet. You may want to consider a Square Trade warranty if you buy an ASUS tablet.

The tablet is fairly robust and based on the specs for the 8 inch tablet (the 7" MeMO HD is also a quad core processor), you can expect good performance relative to the price. The ASUS HD 7 is overall good in terms of screen resolution and this tablet will probably be average as well. Occasionally, it doesn't respond to touch as well as I would like. It is also a fingerprint magnet (and I am usually not too picky about those things, but this is noticeable and worth mentioning.) The ASUS MeMO Pad 8 looks so much like the MeMO 7 and 10, that I think you could reasonably say that it is of the same build, design, and quality only at the 8 inch size. I would have liked to see 2GB of DDR memory for better performance, but the 1GB is sufficient.

In the 8 inch tablet category there is now the following tablets in the order of my overall judgment of their desirability (see specs at the end of each for comparison purposes):

Samsung Tab 3 8 - at 249.00, this is still a bit costly, but it is light, responsive and has a good screen. Probably has a slight edge on reliability over the others.
Specs: 1.5 GHz Samsung Exynos 4210 Dual Core processor, 1.5 GB DDR2 SDRAM memory, 1280 X 800 resolution, Mali 400 GPU, .68 pounds

Asus Memo 8 - at 229.00, this tablet is a slight bit costly (when you consider the MeMO HD 7 has been seen as low as the $100 range on sale.) ASUS is asking a slight premium for that extra 30% of screen space as compared to the MeMO HD 7. Depending on your preference and the sale price, I rate the Samsung and ASUS a virtual tie for overall value/desirability.
Specs: AMD Quad Core 1.6GHz processor, 1 GB DDR3L SDRAM memory, 1280 X 800 resolution, Mali 400 MP4 graphics, .8 pounds

Dell Venue 8 - at prices ranging from 129.00 to 179.00 for the 16GB tablet, it is definitely worth a look. Dell tends to be good on customer service and this tablet has 2GB of DDR memory which is definitely a plus. One review commented on the lack of response for the touch screen, however reviews on Dell and Amazon's sites have been positive. The Dell Venue 8 runs true android. If you can get a branded 8" pure android tablet for the $129 Black Friday sale price, the deal is hard to pass up. (Note: the Atom is an Intel processor and has to emulate the ARM-based architecture to run Android.) -- Update: as of 12/19/2013, Dell has released an update that has enabled multi-user profiles and it appears to be working without problems. The Dell Venue 8 is also available with 32gb of internal storage for a list price of 199 dollars.
Specs: Intel Atom Z2580(up to 2.0GHZ)Dual Core processor, 2GB DDR2 memory, 1280 X 800 resolution, Intel HD Graphics, .82 pounds

Acer Iconia A1-810 - gets some good reviews and sells for about 170.00. Slightly below the Dell Venue and kind of heavy at 1.01 pounds. It also has a lower resolution than the other tablets, but it is still worth a look...
Specs: MTK MT8125 1.2 Ghz Quad Core processor, 1 GB DDR3L SDRAM, 1024 X 768 resolution, Integrated PowerVR SGX 544 Graphics, 1.01 pounds (Acer website lists weight as 14.46 ounces or approximately .9 pounds)

UPDATE: December 8, 2013.
The recent price drop of the ASUS Memo 8 to $199.00 makes it a bargain in relation to the Samsung Tab 3 8. While the Samsung is sleaker and lighter and has 1.5 GB internal memory to the Memo 8's 1 GB DDR, the 50 dollar premium that they are asking for the Samsung Tab 3 8 is a bit high. The Asus MeMO 8 offers a quad-core processor while the Samsung Tab 3 8 has a dual core processor. The Asus Memo 8 and the Dell Venue 8 give a lot of bang for considerably less money. The Dell Venue 8 offers 2GB RAM and is selling for less than either the MeMO 8 or the Tab 3 8. Unless you want the tv remote control functions of the Samsung Tab 3 8 or are very much into the lightest tablet possible, Asus and Dell are offering attractive tablets for less money. The Acer A1-810 is a good tablet, but maybe not quite on par with the others at this price. The Acer A1-810 is recently selling as low as 149 dollars.

Hope this helps you to make a good decision on purchasing a name brand 8" android tablet!
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 23, 2013
Verified Purchase
I purchased this tablet along side the DragonTouch R8 for my father, but i got this one for my wife. She loved her 1st gen kindle fire, but it was starting to show it's age and she had managed to fill the memory to where she couldn't do anything more.
I bought this because i love the Asus Name. I have an Asus Laptop and an Asus Router, all of which i have found to be the most solid tech i have ever purchased.
That being said i bought this for her and she was ecstatic. For an 8in Tablet this one is paramount. We did the basic tests, Heavy downloads to see if it'll bog down, and we ran the Antutu Benchmark. This tablet did much better than mine, and even looked smoother than my fathers R8. If you don't mind spending a little more an 8in tablet, buy this one. The Battery life is fantastic, the OS is smooth and stable. I also recommend spending $15 at Walmart for a 16gb microSD card to make this a 32GB tablet.

I would also like to mention that the speakers on this tablet are RIDICULOUS. They are loud and clear as expensive computer speakers. Also the HD of the screen is crisp and clear.
on January 4, 2014
I've had the tablet for more than a week since receiving it for Christmas. It has been a pleasure to use.

First off, the main competitor to this tablet would likely be other 8 inch tablets such as iPad Mini and also the Galaxy Tab 3 8inch.

Both are much more expensive and to be honest do not even bother looking at the Galaxy Tab 3 8inch.
Unless you have fully invested into the Apple Ecosystem, I do not know why you really want to spend $400+ dollars on a tablet.

Anyways back to the MeMO Pad 8.

Performance:

The MeMO runs a Rockchip RK3188 (Memo Pad 8) vs Exynos 4412 on the (Galaxy Tab 3 8inch)

Quad Core 1.6Ghz vs Dual Core 1.5Ghz

Here are some test results on a different tablet that show the processor in the MeMO is much more powerful:
[...]
If you do not want to read the info, then i'll sum it up.

The MeMO 8 CPU performs better and allows the system to run DDR3 Ram (faster).

Both the MeMO 8 and the Galaxy Tab 3 8inch run a ARM Mali-400MP4 GPU, but the MeMO 8 runs the GPU at a faster speed (533Mhz vs 440MHz).

Screen resolution is 1280vs800 which is fine, nothing crazy. Keep in mind that running a higher resolution also strains the system further and also draws on the performance so the resolution is fine. 1080p would have been nicer but the price would have to be significantly higher and I do not see either tablet being competitive in price compared to the iPad Mini at that rate.

Anyways, on to other areas to measure. RAM on both tablets are different as well, the MeMO runs 1GB and the Galaxy Tab runs 1.5GB.

That is 50% more and only really makes a huge difference if you load many apps at once and do not close them. For 5-6 apps running at the same time, 1GB is more than enough and does not lag the system down. Seriously though, close apps if you are not using them, any system would perform better, don't be lazy.

Also the size, this is a big thing. A lot of people complain that the 7 inch tablets are small, they are, they are only a bit bigger in screen size than the smart phones of today. A pointless purchase. a 10 inch tablet is too large and bulky and can't be held comfortably with one hand. They are more for work than play seeing as most ultra books are 11-13 inches, slightly larger.

8inch is the way to go. Much more screen space, 30% over 7inch tablets. Also when you buy a 7 inch tablet, the manufacturer must design a bezel that still allows you to hold it without touching the screen which is consistent with the 8 inch tablets. So really you get a much smaller screen on 7inch, but still bezel is relatively the same which means the weight is not exactly proportional to what you would expect. Thus you pay for a small screen with a lot of extra plastic bezel with usually much lower performing specs (except nexus 7).

All in all, the 8 inch is a perfect device to type, read, surf, watch videos and although it doesn't fit comfortably in any pocket, it is light enough to bring along pretty much anywhere. I love the damn thing and is sub 200$, really people, a quad core 1.6ghz system that supports microSDHC (btw it does not support XC, so format your XC cards to FAT32 to get them to work), 2 cameras, independent GPS, solid build, loud a$$ speakers (2watts per channel which is stereo), great vendor/brand I would say jump on it.

The only things I would wish for in this tablet are a higher resolution screen, preferably 1080p, but only if it cost no more than 50$ more. 1.5 or 2gb of ram would also be nice. Slightly better camera, but not really, get a real camera but seriously people stop using tablets to record things, it looks ridic and you look really dumb.

SDXC support would have been nice so that I can watch movies files that are larger than 4GBs. Also IR support would have been cool (Available on Samsung Galaxy 3 Tabs) so that you can use them as a big a$$ remote.

That's it really, I love the tablet, not sure why people are buying Samsung Galaxy Tabs when this gem is out there. Also do not buy 7inch versions, seriously they are so underpowered and overpriced. They need to be sub 120$ for the specs they have.

Anyways if you have questions please do not hesitate to ask by continuing the convo below!
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 25, 2014
Verified Purchase
We love this tablet. It was purchased for my wife who does not like to tinker with technology. She just wants to be able to easily download, read and study publications; watch movies; have access to the Web; and be able to display photos and videos for family and friends. I have a 1st generation Nexus 7, which has served me very well. It is now "aged", but It still works well for me and I have no complaints. But this Asus MeMO 8 (same manufacturer of Nexus) really impresses me. Why?
I like the 8" screen size for sure. Just like Goldilocks said "It's Just Right!" It is well equipped with some decent apps loaded on it, but is not so bloated as the Samsung tablet offerings. The processor seems smooth and plenty fast for what we use it for. I downloaded a few "must have" apps like Amazon Apps, Moon Reader, and an Office app, to make it more functional for studying and annotating publications; and MX video player for viewing a variety of video formats that the included player wouldn't; a CPR app and Netflix.
As far as appearance goes, the white plastic case on the MeMO is attractive enough and since we have it in a cover, only little bit right around the screen shows anyway. The most attractive thing though is the affordability. I don't mind spending a little extra money for good tools. But this is a very well-priced tablet from a reputable company. I've been an Apple user since 1984. I love their equipment. It always has been the top of the line. But this is a MUCH better deal for most folks that have not already invested a bunch in their iPhone apps, etc. We have Motorola android phones that are setup much like the Asus tablet, so jumping from one device to the other is really easy. Contacts, calendars, and email all sync real easy through Google. And you can add as much storage as you'll ever need on a microSD card! Can't do that on an iPad. So, if you are on the fence about which tablet is for you, and you are not some competitive Gamer or Name Brand Snob, click the "Buy" button. In a couple of days you too will be enjoying a good book, viewing a video, or surfing Amazon for the "next big thing" on your MeMO Pad 8!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 14, 2014
Verified Purchase
I bought this memo pad and at first it was nice, but about after 2 months of having it the screen went black, stopped working. So, I had to send it in for repairs even though it was under warranty I had to pay for shipping. They fixed it and about 3 weeks later it did the same thing. Then I had to send it back again and pay for shipping. I am not really pleased with this product. They did send me back a new one the second time. But I fear that this product is not good quality.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
ASUS MeMO Pad 8 16GB Tablet White is a great tablet for the money. This tablet has a beautiful display (8 inches) and displays images at 1280 x 800 pixels (800p). This tablet comes with a micro SD card slot that can expand your storage by up to 64GB. I have listed some the specifications that I considered important below for this tablet. They are as follows:

* Operating System - Android 4.1 Jelly Bean
* Battery life 9-hour
* Weight - .8 pounds
* Item Dimensions - L x W x H 8.40 x 5 x 0.40 inches
* Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g/n)

Thank you for reading my review, if you have any questions feel free to email me, I would be happy to help you with any questions you have.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 25, 2014
Verified Purchase
I am currently on the third revision of my first novel "Trail Mongers" and I am getting tired of sitting in my office on beautiful summer afternoons slogging over my computer all day. I fantasized about mountain biking on nearby trails in Sonoma County and then taking breaks every so often to write but other than to do lists and small scribbling, I can only write with a keyboard and a screen.

I'm also poor ,so initially I got a bluetooth keyboard for approx. $20 that I could hook it up to my iphone and type while taking breaks from mountain biking in the woods. That worked a little but if I wanted to get any real work done besides brain storming it didn't really work. The display was too tiny and the keyboard (I'll update this later with exact model) fell apart pretty easily (keys fell off), wasn't that comfortable, and kept losing its bluetooth signal. Before long I was back inside in my office slogging away at my novel whining again about not being able to run or ride because of my novel about running and riding.
Anyways, I decided to shop around for a tablet. I am an alien to androids and have been a mac faithful for over 12 years but I wasn't going to get a ipad. I need to take this thing riding over some rough trails in a backpack. So I read the reviews for lots of android tablets between $100 and $200. Over $200 was too much for my finances and while $100 probably should have been my budget I knew that anything under $100 would probably fall apart.

I first googled to see if any writers swore by a certain tablet / keyboard combo but I found nothing. I decided that my criteria was that it be bluetooth compatible (many under $100 tablets are not) for a keyboard, it could run the app Evernote which is a note taking / word processor that works and syncs to multiple devices (mac's as well). I would have loved if a tablet could run Scrivener (a world renowned word processor for novelists but they have not made an app for ipads or androids as of yet.)

Lots of tablets seemed to fit this bill between $100 and $200. I then narrowed things down to battery life, screen size (not too big and not too small), memory, and reviews. I also figured if I'm going to spend over a $100 I should get the best value as I would certainly enjoy the bonuses of being able to watch movies, play music, run slideshows and other other apps.

I first thought strongly about a Kindle Fire HD. It was bluetooth and Evernote would work on it. My kindle for reading was a steal at $70. I decided against it as I didn't want to be surrounded by the gates of Amazon. I then juggled with over 10 different tablets, Acer, Dell, Samsung, Nexus 7, and more. I ultimately decided to go with the Asus Memo Pad 8.
I was a bit nervous as no one gave it an outstanding review. They all just said it was average. They were also reviewing it when it was $200. I got it for $159 and I think it is amazing. While the extra inch for screen size makes a huge difference when editing text, it was the micro sd card slot that gave the asus memo pad 8 the edge over the nexus. Oh and the nexus 7 2013 was $30 more which was about the same price I paid for the 64gig sd card for the asus memo pad 8. I'm glad I picked this one.
While I just received it yesterday I am very pleased. If this thing is durable enough to last me a year I will be very satisfied with my purchase. It does everything I need and way more.

I can't wait to take it out with me mountain biking soon and then find a nice place to setup my writing office in the wilderness.

In summary:

If you are using this with a bluetooth keyboard for long writing sessions when away from the office it is perfect. It will also serve you if you want some music in the background, want to play a movie, look at pictures, facebook, surf the net, read a book or take audio notes. I don't anticipate that it would be fast enough for games but I don't plan on playing games on my tablet (my xbox sits in a closet now, sad very sad but if I wanted to play games I would un retire it.)

Note: I was totally new to android but with my mac laptop open next to my new android tablet, I was able to google anything I was uncertain about. I found answers to all of my questions about Android 4.2.2 easily.

I hope this helps you.
on January 27, 2014
Verified Purchase
The ASUS MeMo Pad 8 was my first ever tablet purchase. I always viewed them as toys incapable of any real productivity, but I was quickly proven wrong once I got it in my hands. I use it all the time for many tasks for which I would normally fire up my laptop. Now I don't have to worry about waiting for it to boot up whenever I need to do some quick research on an item (I am not a smartphone owner). I also take it with me pretty much wherever I go.

The device itself is really nice. I was originally going to go with the MeMo Pad HD7, but I got my hands on one in a store, and did not like the build quality. It was really plasticky and creaked in my hands. It felt like it was going to break at any moment. The MeMo Pad 8 is quite different in that respect. It feels much more solid in my hands and doesn't feel nearly as cheaply made. Performance-wise, this will not disappoint. It performs exactly as you would expect for a device in this price range, and maybe a little better. I've played a few games on it and they all worked well without much of an issue with lag.

That said, the device does get a bit laggy at times with continued use. It seems the 1 GB of RAM is barely sufficient. I have a "1-tap boost" application that seems to help a lot with eliminating lag, so I don't look at it as too much of a problem. The 16 GB of on-board storage is pretty nice as well. It should hold anyone for a bit until they get an SD card. The MeMo Pad has a micro SD slot that will accept up to a 64 GB card, which is a nice bonus.

Office-type applications work without a hitch. I use this tablet for both word processing and spreadsheets and both work flawlessly. Taking notes with either the included notepad or any other app you choose from the Play store works very well, too.

All in all, I would recommend this device to anyone looking for an inexpensive tablet that wants something with decent performance for both business and pleasure.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 26, 2014
I have return this product back to the company 3 times. It will not charge up. The USB portal is loose . The cord will not stay in the portal. It has only been since June 3, 2014. I ended up buying a Dell for $40.00 less. It is a better product with a bigger screen. I'm very disappointed. This company brand came highly recommended. Do not waste your money on this product.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 22, 2014
Verified Purchase
I am so disappointed in this product. I've had to return the product to ASUS to have it repaired after owning it for 3 months!! The tablet would not power on.... The screen has a slight blue tint but would not power on. I paid to have it shipped to ASUS repair and it was supposedly repaired! Now after only less than 60 days, I am experiencing the exact same issue!!! This is definitely a waste of my money!!! I should have invested in an Apple IPad or another brand of tablet. I am so disappointed in this tablet!! It is costing me more than it is worth! Why are they being sold??? Other consumers have had the same problem with this tablet. Now that I'm having this problem again, ASUS will not answer my complaint! I've sent numerous complaints to ASUS and they will not return my email or answer my complaint. I called and after being on hold for 20 minutes, the phone was disconnected. I am FURIOUS!!! I will never, ever purchase another ASUS product!!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations