5.0 out of 5 stars Another Fine Product From Asus sold by Amazon
I purchased this Mainboard with Building a reasonable upper middle range computer in mind without busting out too much $$ for it.

Published on February 16, 2012 by WDS

The manufacturer commented on the review below
3.0 out of 5 stars Good motherboard with some issues
Published on September 7, 2012 by Luis Felipe

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Fine Product From Asus sold by Amazon, February 16, 2012
This review is from: ASUS P9X79 DELUXE LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard (Personal Computers)

This Mainboard is Awesome, More of a Mainboard than I expected for the money, it performs perfectly, overclocks and runs smooth with no system hang ups and has great bells and whistles like the WIFI and Bluetooth that at first I figured ya ya ok neat I'll never use em ..... well I now have it configured to update my Ipad,Itouch,Smart phone and Mac book Pro to auto transfer files to and from them and control my sound system in the house .... it is a private well behaved Cloud system.

Ok so I installed the Intel extreme - i7-3960X LGA2011 Processor along with 16 Gig of Corsair Vengeance DDR3 memory and running it on Windows 7 Ultimate all this went into a Cooler Master 932 HAF full tower case being powered by the Corsair HX1050 Power Supply and the Processor is being cooled with a Corsair H100 Liquid cooler.

Cons? becareful once you start a build like this it will be hard to stop.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good motherboard with some issues, September 7, 2012
Luis Felipe (Monterrey, Mexico) - See all my reviews
I built recently a system using this motherboard. I haven't had issues with the dimms like many other people do, but the issues I currently have are regarding the USB 3.0 ports. This board uses the Asmedia 1042 and VL810 chipsets for it's USB 3.0 ports, right now both chipsets have many problems, a good example is that when reading data through the USB 3.0 it works perfectly fine. The problem comes when you want to write data (transfering data to a External Hard Drive or HDD Dock using USB 3.0), basically after minutes the PC hangs and the USB 3.0 devices get undetected. After searching a lot it seems that it is a common problem with the Asmedia 1042.

If you plan on using your USB 3.0 ports to transfer data, then either search for a motherboard that doesn't have the asmedia chipset or consider going to lga 1155 with the Z77 that has usb 3.0 chipset done by intel.

I'm pretty disappointed that the USB 3.0 ports of my x58 motherboard work better than the ones on this x79 motherboard.

With luck Asus will release updates of the firmware of the chipset and drivers so the port get to actually work as intended. The board was released on November of 2011 and Asus hasn't released a fix yet...

Posted on Sep 21, 2012 12:17:56 PM PDT
Dear Valued Customer,

We apologize for the issue you had with the motherboard.

This motherboard is capable of USB 3.0 Turbo and UASP modes which can significantly improve transfer rates. Can you try using AI Suite and set USB 3.0 Boost to Normal mode to see if the external drive / lock continues to hang on transferring data? We haven't had heard reports of problems of the Asmedia 1042 controller. Can you email me about them at cl-benson@asus.com? Thank you.

For support information, please visit http://support.asus.com. For service, visit http://service.asus.com. For motherboard warranty, visit http://www.service.asus.com/warranty.aspx#!Motherboard%20Warranty/c1c20; Refurbished products/accessories: http://www.service.asus.com/warranty.aspx#!refurbished-warranty/c16us. For RMA status, visit: http://am.eservice.asus.com/rmaweb/search/rmCustomerQueryAction.do?.

Benson
ASUS Customer Loyalty

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Build MOBO, March 21, 2012
Mike (Knoxville, TN USA) - See all my reviews
Having read a number of other reviews where the user had various problems with this MOBO I was a bit apprehensive in purchasing the board. I feared the worst. I expected many problems with the BIOS. My fears were unwarranted. The MOBO POSTed the very first attempt. Granted, I was not trying to install a raid array of any kind. If I had perhaps I would have had problems. My approach with this build was to install a single HDD and SSD and then in the future add additional HHDs with a raid array.

After installing the MOBO I had read from other reviews the first thing I needed to do was to update the BIOS. I knew this needed to be done using the white USB connector on the back of the MOBO, and then pressing and holding the flash BIOS switch on the MOBO for 3 seconds (until the blue light flashed). The one thing the ASUS instructions failed to mention is that you needed power to the MOBO to accomplish the BIOS update. Perhaps this is one of those obvious things that everyone is supposed to know. The initial attempt at flashing the BIOS did not work (nothing happened). Then when the power supply was connected and turned on it worked perfectly. After this one small hiccup everything worked fine.

I chose not to use the applications and drivers provided on the CD that shipped with the ASUS MOBO. Instead I had downloaded and saved to a flash drive all the latest applications and drivers from the ASUS web site. These all installed very easily. At the end of the day, everything worked fine.

It has only been a day since the build. There is a lot to learn and play with. I used the automatic over-clock function of the ASUS MOBO and it increased the CPU speed from 3.2 to 3.9. I populated the MOBO with 32 GB of Corsair Vengeance 1600 Mhz memory modules. The initial POST indicated that the memory was operating at a speed of 1333 Mhz. This bothered me somewhat but I think I was able to change this to 1600. I will need to check if it is still at 1600 or it reverted back to 1333 after powering down the system.

2.0 out of 5 stars Memory issues, October 5, 2012
I never thought I'd have to troubleshoot memory as much as I did with this board. I'm just a humanities professor trying to future proof a system with as much RAM as possible for editing and transcoding HD Videos from my 1080p/60 camera. Bought this with an Intel 3930K and Vengeance and Komputerbay memory modules, also other banks from working machines.

I googled extensively, and learned a lot more than I was willing to do to make 64GB, then 32GB work with this board. Basically some memory banks are faulty. You can't just follow the recommended banks to populate them.

In my case, the only way to use 32GB was to populate B1,B2 and D1,D2 banks. And then only boots at 800GHZ, not 1600. It overclocks easily to 4.1/3.9, you choose, but memory gets underclocked heavily, or it won't boot.

Also the memory banks A1 and A2 simply won't work for me. They worked at first, but even after resetting bios, clearing CMOS, they stopped doing that.

I googled too much and wasted too much time trying to make this work. First I got disappointed with my Transformer Prime, now this. Asus, please, get your act together. I spent hours on this, it's a lot of money, plus the hassle of returning this.

Note that 4, 8, even 16GB works fine (as long as you don't use a1 and a2...). Asus QVL list doesn't list a single bank vendor capable of filling all slots, so THEY KNOW ABOUT THIS. They test with 2 and 4GB banks mostly, you don't see QVL with fast 8GB banks each: you see only Corsair with 4GB modules qualified for 16GB max - WHY? Go ahead and see for yourself on the ASUS website/manual.

But why would you buy this board if that's all you really need/want?

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 5:40:56 PM PDT
Dear Valued Customer,

We apologize for the issue you had with the motherboard.

We recommend using modules from single manufacturer and matching part no. and specs for best compatibility. On our memory QVL, we have ADATA SU3U1333W8G9-B and Samsung M378B1G73AH0-CH9 that we've tested and are known to work on this motherboard (http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_2011/P9X79_DELUXE/#MSL).

To run 4x8GB (32GB) memory, please install memory in A1, B1, C1, and D1 for dual channel configuration. Try swapping memory in these slots. If you believe that A1 and A2 slots are defective, please consider RMA the motherboard by completing the form at http://vip.asus.com/eservice/usa_rmaserv.aspx or call 1-812-282-2787.

Benson
ASUS Customer Loyalty
cl-benson@asus.com

5.0 out of 5 stars Sound Problems with Vista, May 28, 2012
Lawrence J Laake (SPIRIT LAKE, IOWA, US) - See all my reviews
It seems the X79 Chipset with a 3820 CPU will not have audio with Vista x64. Device Manager shows hardware but if you click on speaker icon/volume control it shows no audio device. Had the same exact problem with an AsRock X79 Extreme 6. I Upgraded to Windows 7 to resolve the issue because I couldn't find hotfix for Vista. Other than that this seems to Overclock very well and remain stable. Shows a very good UEFI bios. Very good WiFi ability with antenna mounted. Before you do anything flash bios. Extract latest bios to an unlabelled usb drive and follow instructions. You won't need to have cpu or ram installed - just power. If don't flash a new bios, most likely you'll have a dram problem led light (another interesting feature are the POST Leds)- after updating this board it will take just about any DDR3 Ram.

1.0 out of 5 stars I never experienced such poor service, December 20, 2013
I have had memory peroblems for months.
I even swithced from Corsair to GSkill, and the same problems persist.
BIOS is totally updated, but the board will only recognize 3 SIMMS. Either brand, same problem.
Memory was bought to satisfy ASUS' QVL list.

Their web site service is A-W-F-U-L. Most screen fail to work. Confusing layout. Impossible to get through.
If you like headaches and you love bad service, this is a 10-star-deal !!!! Go for it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Powerful Board with an Issue or Two, November 3, 2013
This product has been great in every way accept one. The Bluetooth receiver, at least for me, has proven completely useless. It has very weak reception even at close range and the drivers for it won't install correctly.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fast board, but hard to work with., April 15, 2013
I dont build alot of PC's and mostly rely on other peoples reviews and suggestions when picking boards. I picked this board because of the stellar review on Maximum PC's site, and it seemed like the latest and greatest, liked the bluetooth and wifi integration, and usb 3.0, as well as some of the overclocking features.

After installing and using the board a while, I had it set up to automatically overclock on the fly, and it was creating all kinds of problems with reboots and blue screens of death. Turned off overclocking, and everything is solid as a rock. Minus two stars for a poorly implemented overclock feature and confusing software that in my view severely crippled the clock speed at times then overclocked to the point of locking up.

Posted on Apr 15, 2013 5:31:42 PM PDT
Dear Valued Customer,

Sorry to hear that when you try using the overclocking feature, your motherboard becomes unstable. What messages are your getting when you have the BSOD?

Have you looked at the RAM information to make sure it's within the manufacturer specs. What you can do when you are overclocking is to start at the lowest settings and slowly keep increasing. Once you start to notice the unstability and BSOD, then you will know that is the cutoff point in order for your unit to function properly.

Overclocking is not guaranteed; results may differ from one part to another

If you have any questions or comments you can email me again at cl-jeffrey@asus.com which I reside in the U.S

ASUS strives to meet and exceeds our customer expectations within our warranty policy.

Jeffrey

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Motherboard, March 24, 2013
This motherboard is the best complement to the Intel 3930k, 32gb of RAM, & a SSD. Your setup will fly.

4.0 out of 5 stars This one works, first one DOA..., July 2, 2012
This motherboard is functional after the first one was DOA. I'm very please with Amazon's return policy. 8 x 8GB Komputerbay (64GB) PC3-12800 9-9-9-25 sticks surrounding a 3820 @ 4Ghz with a couple Mushkin Enhanced Chronos SSDs in RAIDO (950~1000MB/sec for the pair). RAMDisk utility is useful for VMs & games, but you have to deal with the load time of loading the entire RAMDisk into RAM, which may be 30 seconds +/-. Also running RocketRAID 4320 RAID card. The BIOS easily allows me to EASILY boot between the various adapters as one would expect.

The Komputerbay sticks function @ 1600Mhz using benchmarks, but read 800Mhz everywhere. I spent quite a bit of time during set up trying to remedy and never could, but for the deal - I'm not going to complain. I'm happy that much memory was running well with everything.

My G15 keyboard sometimes stays lit now after turning the PC off...some kind of USB hub issue.

Very nice BIOS though...