5.0 out of 5 stars Killer Pro Photo & Graphics Monitor
Published 13 months ago by RedMan

#donotbuyASUS

This monitor is beautiful. Very good colors, very easy to set up and use. Lived up to the reviews.

Until ONE MONTH LATER, when the high-pitched tone started.

Published 6 months ago by Helen Gould

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Killer Pro Photo & Graphics Monitor, August 24, 2013
This review is from: ASUS PA249Q 24-Inch Screen LCD Monitor (Personal Computers)
After weeks of very careful research I decided to purchase this Asus PA249Q Pro Art 24 inch monitor. I have been a professional photographer for over 40 years and decided to be good to my eyes. I do tons of shooting and photo editing in both Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop using BOTH the Adobe 98 and sRGB color spaces this Asus monitor comes calibrated with from the factory.

While doing my research on all Pro monitors I thought to myself "could this really be? It sounds too good to be true." 99% AdobeRGB, 120% NTSC, 100% sRGB Coverage sounds like the answer to my prayers and needs.

My monitor got here in 2 days which amazed me as I asked for free shipping from Amazon. Upon arrival I removed my Gateway 2145W which had served me very well since April 2003. I installed the new Asus and was blown away by how good it is right out of the box... Great and accurate color right out of the box... I let it burn in for a few days and then checked the accuracy for both of the Adobe 98 and sRGB spaces... Both were extremely accurate. I did need to turn down the brightness to 16% because it IS an extremely bright monitor and is set at 50% from the factory... BUT THE COLOR ACCURACY IS REALLY, REALLY GOOD.

I have been using this Asus PA249Q for almost a month now and can tell you it IS the best money I've invested in my Pro Photo Editing computer system period. I can see details in my images I've never seen before... Truly a revelation for my old eyes.

I've seen all the knocks in ALL the reviews this monitor and it's predecessor, the Asus PA248Q (which I came very close to buying)have had. I can only tell you about my personal experience with this Asus PA249Q Pro Art for almost a month. I am extremely picky about quality in everything I do... I build my own PC computers to handle Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop. I have experienced NO problems what so ever with this monitor... No stuck pixils, No buzzing sounds, No bad or uneven back lighting and last but for me NOT LEAST... NO inaccurate COLOR OR GREY SCALE Imagery. This monitor is DEAD on the money and I love it. It ROCKS!

I am so glad I decided to give myself something as important as a great magnifying glass at the end of the chain for high quality computer photo editing.

I personally would recommend this monitor to anyone needing to see truly accurate photos and graphics in their work. I will also tell you everything else looks wonderful as well. All my email, word processing, spreadsheet and browser programs shine with clear and very sharp, accurate, super readable fonts. The extra real estate I get with my Windows 7 Pro desktop is greatly appreciated as well. It's native 1920 x 1200 resolution is a joy. More room for running different programs side by side while multi tasking.

I have NOT hooked up the Up and Down USB 3 ports so I can not speak to how well they work.

I really can't tell you much more other than this. I have bonded with this monitor and it is unquestionably the best money I've spent at Amazon.com.

I AM a Happy Camper.

4.0 out of 5 stars Caution Mac users regarding cable connections, October 3, 2013
I like the monitor. One major word of caution for Mac users without a direct DVI connection, be careful which cable you buy to connect this. I originally purchased a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable to connect my MacBook Pro Retina via its Thunderbolt port, which seemed logical to me. But as soon as I turned it on and began setting it up, I noticed the Adobe RGB Mode and sRGB Mode default color profile settings were grayed-out in the display settings, meaning I could not use or switch to those. I connected the monitor to an old MacPro with DVI ports to verify those settings did actually work.

I created a trouble ticket on the Asus web site, and then called support to ask them about the connection problems using the Thunderbolt to DisplayPort cable. After a little research, they told me the fix was to use a Thunderbolt to DVI cable instead, which would restore the Adobe RGB and sRGB options. I considered purchasing the Apple Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter, but that has a female end, requiring the use of the Asus-supplied DVI cable as well. I decided to purchase a BlueRigger Mini DisplayPort to DVI Male cable instead, so I could connect them directly. I nervously re-connected everything, a little worried this wouldn't work either, but fortunately, this cable does work, and I can use the Adobe RGB and sRGB settings now. So good marks for Asus support, though it was a little unfortunate I had to go through this process to get it to work correctly. This monitor is aimed at graphics professionals, and a large percentage of those will be Mac users, so Asus should consider including an inexpensive Mini DisplayPort to DVI cable in the box. Or at least stating this on the box or manual or product description. Hence this review.

For any PC user and Mac user with older DVI connections this obviously won't be a problem. I have no idea why the Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable wouldn't work, or if any other cable connections are problematic with those modes.

As for the display itself, I'm pretty happy with it so far, but have not had a chance to do major testing or worked on it for long. My other displays are a 27" iMac, MacBook Air, various MacBook Pros, including the ultra-high res 15" Retina display. Compared to all those, this 24" Asus PA249Q seems fairly low resolution and slightly soft, which is why I gave it 4 starts instead of 5. (increasing the sharpness settings beyond 60 just makes everything progressively more pixilated) This rating is probably not a reflection of the quality of the monitor, but a backhanded critique of the limitations of native 1920 x 1200 resolution. I have a fairly old Apple 23" display which is also 1920 x 1200, and even that old monitor feels slightly sharper because the same number of pixels fit 23 inches instead of the Asus 24 inch display. If you will be working with typefaces, and extremely high resolution photos and illustrations, this display may just not be high enough pixel count. On the plus side, the screen resolution means that everything is larger and text much easier to read, compared to hi-dpi displays.

Overall I think this is a good, reasonably affordable semi-pro monitor for graphic designers or photographers looking for Adobe RGB and sRGB calibrated displays. For everyday PC users, and Mac users who just want a 24" 1920x1200 display as an alternative to Apple's huge and expensive 27" glossy display, they might be fine with a regular and cheaper non-calibrated 24" display.

Other pluses are the height adjustment, which Apple's displays never provide, which is frustrating, and the matte screen of course, which minimizes glare and reflections. The monitor and stand seems reasonably stable. It's silent, and runs fairly cool.

Minuses: I don't like the USB port connections positioned on the side of the monitor. USB cables sticking out the side looks kind of silly in my opinion, but admittedly they are very conveniently located for temporary connections. I would have preferred them all on the back. The case is made of generic black plastic material, but okay quality for the price range. Do be careful when rotating the display to portrait orientation. I didn't raise it quite high enough on the stand so as the monitor rotated, the sharp back corner of the display left a permanent scuff mark on the base! I guess that's one mistake you learn from.

The control buttons on the right side are very handy, but the toggle control dial/button is a bit touchy, you may find yourself toggling back and forth to the setting you wish to adjust. That's a minor quibble, once you have the display set up you probably won't need to use those often, and will learn the quirks of navigating with it.

The display is working well with the MacBook Pro, I'm able to leave that closed and use the Asus to wake the computer without issue. So with my set-up I finally have a silent computer running a manageable, reasonably affordable display, without the disadvantages of Apple's big, expensive, glossy 27" monitor.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Upgrade, September 13, 2013
For 8 years I have been using a pair of top grade (at the time) 24" monitors employing TN technology. As my photo/video processing has become a bit more complex I wanted to advance to the newer IPS presentation and a larger color spectrum.

I spent many hours reviewing monitorships best suited for use in Photo and Video Editing. Though the ASUS PA249Q is relatively new to the market it began to appear in blogs and reviews time and time again with glowing reports. I had pretty much decided on another top flight monitor, complete with a calibration package, that has been around for several years. Liking what I saw with the ASUS, the newer creation date, and the price, I purchased two (2) 24" ASUS PA249Q units to give them a try.

The monitors arrived two days later... Well packaged and well protected. The monitors and bases are "pre-assembled" in the box... take them out and put them on the desk... done. Input connections are well placed, as are the on-screen controls. The tilt, rotation, and elevation adjustments are very, very smooth.

The units come Pre-calibrated... On set-up I came across the included calibration sheets. Both calibrations indicated a Delta E of < 3 (very, very good) Like most factory settings for brightness I found on start-up that both units were set at about 220... Bright enough to burn out your retinas in a dim room ! Both monitors presented, to my eyes, virtually identical images/color in all settings even that brightly lit. Having IPS the monitors are clearly visible, with no color or definition loss, even at extreme angles... a fantastic improvement over TN technology.

Out of curiosity I decided to calibrate the units using my Spyder Pro 4 . I found the on screen menu extremely easy to use. Setting a more appropriate brightness at 120 and running the program I was very pleased with the results... Once again I ended up with a Delta E of well less than 3. On bringing up a series of photos from LR 5 on both screens I was amazed at the identical imagery between the two units. Absolutely no unit- to- unit correction was necessary. I employed soft proofing within LR and printed several shots on my Epson 3880. Allowing for a slight brightness difference due to the LED backlighting on the monitors, the colors, and contrast, as far as I ( and friends) could discern, were extremely accurate. The prints were identical to the monitors... truly WYSIWYG !

A number of the abilities of the Asus PA249Q are a pleasure to use.... User settings, and the ability to switch between RGB and sRGB color displays are among them.

With continuing usage I am convinced that I made a very good decision when I elected to get the ASUS monitors. Sitting side by side they provide me with what I consider to be a perfect display for my photography/video needs. All Pros and no Cons to this point. I would highly recommend this product from ASUS.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great monitor -- IF it doesn't have a persistent high-pitched tone and you don't get caught in the ninth circle of Asus support, March 17, 2014
Helen Gould (Oakland, CA USA) - See all my reviews
#donotbuyASUS

Until ONE MONTH LATER, when the high-pitched tone started.

At first, it was for just 5 minutes or so, right after the monitor went idle. And then it was whenever the monitor wasn't in active use. Yes, all the time. The only way to make it stop was to unplug it. Thankfully, it didn't make the sound when I was using it. But still.

By then, I had gotten rid of the original packaging. So I turned to Asus and the warranty repair.

And so began the odyssey.

I sent the monitor in ($140 for shipping supplies and shipping), and after about 3 weeks, they sent it back, repaired.

With a chunk taken out of the screen, in the middle. Grrr.

Today is March 17. I sent in photos of the damage on February 6. The guy who got the photos didn't put them in the file. The photos weren't in the right place in the file. They needed to do a "stock check," which apparently takes weeks because they have so much unsold stock. They found the item. No, they didn't. Yes, they did -- or maybe a different (better!) monitor. A supervisor called saying the case was being expedited. He promised to send me his contact info. He did not.

Twelve days ago, they claimed to have located a replacement, and they sent me a FedEx label so I could send them the damaged monitor. As per instructions, I called to tell them the tracking number, proving it was in the system. Oops, the guy put the number in the wrong place in the file. Oh, yes, there it is. They promised a new monitor within a couple of days. Yeah, right.

I have been on hold now for 25 minutes, eagerly waiting to make contact so I can find out the next plot twist in this saga.

Each person I have talked to has been perfectly nice. But the system as a whole is the Keystone Kops Do Tech Support. Luckily, this monitor is for home use and I have my work laptop.

[My laptop is a Lenovo Yoga whose battery flat out died after 1 year. Took the Geek Squad 5 weeks to figure out a replacement battery. Had to buy another laptop to tide me over. An Asus (now, I shudder). But that's another story.]

Update:
March 17 still. I was actually on hold for 1 hour and 10 minutes. They said they are contacting the corporate office to see what the hold-up is. I got the guy's email address and he said I could follow up with him directly. We'll see how this goes. The last guy gave me his email address and never responded.

Update:
March 18. Emailed to follow up. Never heard back.

Update:
March 20. Swore for the first time talking to an Asus rep (and apologized). Escalated to a supervisor. I was told the monitor was located and needed to be tested, and it probably would be sent to me in 48 hours. I don't believe them, but there's nothing I can do. Got the supervisor's email address. Not holding my breath.

Update:
March 26. Unbelievable. THE LONG-PROMISED MONITOR ARRIVED!!! Good thing I was home, because I had to sign for it. They could have gained so much goodwill if they had told me it was on its way, with a tracking number.

No high-pitched sound (so far).

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!!! What a wonderful, Professional LED display, November 14, 2013
The ASUS PA249Q Pro Art 24inch monitor is a god send! My prayers were answered! I do not consider myself a professional but I have all professional equipment and do sell framed and unframed prints from time to time. I had purchased pricey LED monitors over the years but was very unhappy with the images, even after calibration of the displays and printer. I had pretty much decided that I was going to have to purchase other high-end displays costing 2-3 times the cost of the PA249Q.

Reading the December issue of Shutterbug Photographer magazine, there was a test report article on the “Asus PA249Q Pro Art LCD Monitor!” I was so excited! Could this really be true? At last there was hope…I then did careful research, reading reviews, test reports and YouTube Videos. The big day came—make a decision!

I then placed an order for 2 PA249Q Pro Art displays, I like dual displays. Finally the big day arrives. I unpacked the units. Wow, Professional pride right out of the box. The displays are shipped with ALL cables. Also, the PA249Q is fully assembled! The base is a hefty, sturdy, stable well-built stand. The LED display can be tilted, rotated, easily moved up or down. Asus engineers should be very proud of themselves. This is a product to be proud of. Everything about the display is well thought out to the most professional level.

To change settings, you press a menu button on the front right side and on the screen, a menu. To change a setting, just above the menu button is a joystick. Rotate it, press it to select. None of this 50 function, 4 button controls (I always pressed the wrong one). I installed the PA249Q, both on my Dell® Optiplex 9010 and was blown away by how good it is right out of the box... Great and accurate color right out of the box...My images came to life!!! WOW!!!

The specifications on this display is awesome. Calibration sheet included, support sRGB and adobe1998, 1910x1200 resolution and 24 inches. I recommend this monitor to anyone needing to see truly accurate photographic images and graphics in their work. Also, everything else looks wonderful as well. All my email, word processing, spreadsheet, Publisher and browser programs shine with clear and very sharp, accurate, super readable fonts.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be great, plagued by quality issues, January 4, 2014
Jeff Magill (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
The number of monitors in the market today is really mindboggling, perhaps unnecessary. Numerous price points, numerous sizes, display technologies, etc. I am a hobbyist photographer and wanted to upgrade from my 8 year old Acer P221W. It was a fine monitor for its time, but I wanted something that would give me great color reproduction. Various reviews led me to try the Asus PA249Q.

I like the potential of Asus, but the quality control, or lack thereof, is driving me to return my second unit and try the Dell U2413. My first unit had a bright pixel. Not a huge deal, but Asus warrants against a single bright pixel for 3 years, so back it went. The second unit has terrible backlight uniformity across the screen when viewing dark images (pure black as a test), going from wonderfully black on the left to almost grey on the right. I'm sure I could live with it, but given what Asus is trying to achieve with this monitor I don't think I should have to settle.

If you get a good one, I think you'll be very happy with it. The colors are wonderful and accurate and the 16:10 ratio is a dream to work on. Perhaps the third time would be a charm, but I'm not willing to take the chance of having to return another one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Accurate color right out of the box, December 20, 2013
The ASUS P 249Q (1920x1200 px) is closer to the 4x6 (35mm) format of my Nikon D800 than regular monitors and with its huge color palette photo editing is much easier to do. Being able to adjust the height and rotate the screen is a nice touch. The four USB ports are very convenient. Front right hand controls are useful too. Once you get saturation and contrast balanced for your printer you're home free. This is a great tool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best monitor for color printing, February 3, 2014
Photo Bug (Houston, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
I heard about this monitor from a test report in a popular photo magazine, and bought it to replace my conventional monitor. The Asus is truly superb, with excellent color reproduction, crisp presentation, fast acting, and more important than anything, it has the adjustments to set it to the industry standard, thus avoiding dark prints due to the difference between what you see on the screen and what the printer "sees". This usually results in dark prints and wastes time and money doing them over, which might also be less than perfect because your revised settings are just a guess. Also this monitor is quite reasonably priced and therefore an excellent value. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Stellar Performance Display for Working Creative Professionals at Budget-Friendly Price, December 30, 2013
As a full-time creative professional, my use of the ASUS PA249Q 24" display includes RAW image processing, retouching, video editing and a little design.

After using both Apple Cinema Displays and Dell Ultrasharp Pro Displays for over a decade, I must say I much prefer this ASUS to Dell UltraSharp and it can easily hold it's own against the Apple. The high quality LED backlight provides dead even contrast & illumination. Because it's an IPS display, color and contrast stays consistent across a broad viewing angle.

Since this ASUS display faithfully reproduces 99% of AdobeRGB, 100% of sRGB and 120% of NTSC, there isn't a creative application it won't handle!

Whether working on Mac OSX or Windows 8.1 Pro platforms, still photography or video, design or motion graphics, you will really appreciate the fine image quality, ergonomics, consistent performance of this ASUS IPS display, and your bank account will thank you!

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
3.0 out of 5 stars Great monitor with (for me) a fatal flaw, February 6, 2014
I really wanted to love this monitor. The price point is great for a higher-end monitor. It's a wide gamut, factory precalibrated model. I bought two, and the colors were indistinguishable straight out of the box, and images are very attractive and natural. It has a good number of interface options (DVI, display port, VGA (though note that via VGA one can't support the the native 1900x1200 size), and HDMI. Good viewing angle, and the stand adjusts well in all the ways it should.

BUT, and for me this was the deal-killer, the power supply is noisy. On both monitors, if anything is plugged into the onboard USB port, the monitor starts a very high-pitched squeal that is simply intolerable. One of the two had a slightly softer version of that squeal even when nothing is plugged in to the USB port. Unless your high frequency hearing is shot, this could drive you nuts. It sure drove me nuts.

I don't know if this is a design flaw or a quality control problem, but with both of the ones I purchased showing the symptom, I don't want to take a chance with another two. Amazon is willing to take these back, but I won't push my luck with another couple of the same model.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Feb 21, 2014 10:21:06 AM PST
Dear Mr. Robert Camner,

We sincerely apologize. If you still have this unit, please contact me at cl-celeste@asus.com and include case#3458524 in the subject line. Please provide me its serial# and additional information about your experience. ASUS Customer Loyalty is here to listen and respond to your concerns and to help you with a positive ASUS experience.

Sincerely,