Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: ASUS PA249Q 24.1" WUXGA 1920x1200 AH-IPS DisplayPort HDMI DVI-D VGA Ergonomic Back-lit LED Monitor
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

on August 24, 2013
After weeks of very careful research I decided to purchase this Asus PA249Q Pro Art 24 inch monitor. I have been a professional photographer for over 40 years and decided to be good to my eyes. I do tons of shooting and photo editing in both Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop using BOTH the Adobe 98 and sRGB color spaces this Asus monitor comes calibrated with from the factory.

While doing my research on all Pro monitors I thought to myself "could this really be? It sounds too good to be true." 99% AdobeRGB, 120% NTSC, 100% sRGB Coverage sounds like the answer to my prayers and needs.

My monitor got here in 2 days which amazed me as I asked for free shipping from Amazon. Upon arrival I removed my Gateway 2145W which had served me very well since April 2003. I installed the new Asus and was blown away by how good it is right out of the box... Great and accurate color right out of the box... I let it burn in for a few days and then checked the accuracy for both of the Adobe 98 and sRGB spaces... Both were extremely accurate. I did need to turn down the brightness to 16% because it IS an extremely bright monitor and is set at 50% from the factory... BUT THE COLOR ACCURACY IS REALLY, REALLY GOOD.

I have been using this Asus PA249Q for almost a month now and can tell you it IS the best money I've invested in my Pro Photo Editing computer system period. I can see details in my images I've never seen before... Truly a revelation for my old eyes.

I've seen all the knocks in ALL the reviews this monitor and it's predecessor, the Asus PA248Q (which I came very close to buying)have had. I can only tell you about my personal experience with this Asus PA249Q Pro Art for almost a month. I am extremely picky about quality in everything I do... I build my own PC computers to handle Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop. I have experienced NO problems what so ever with this monitor... No stuck pixils, No buzzing sounds, No bad or uneven back lighting and last but for me NOT LEAST... NO inaccurate COLOR OR GREY SCALE Imagery. This monitor is DEAD on the money and I love it. It ROCKS!

I am so glad I decided to give myself something as important as a great magnifying glass at the end of the chain for high quality computer photo editing.

I personally would recommend this monitor to anyone needing to see truly accurate photos and graphics in their work. I will also tell you everything else looks wonderful as well. All my email, word processing, spreadsheet and browser programs shine with clear and very sharp, accurate, super readable fonts. The extra real estate I get with my Windows 7 Pro desktop is greatly appreciated as well. It's native 1920 x 1200 resolution is a joy. More room for running different programs side by side while multi tasking.

I have NOT hooked up the Up and Down USB 3 ports so I can not speak to how well they work.

I really can't tell you much more other than this. I have bonded with this monitor and it is unquestionably the best money I've spent at Amazon.com.

I AM a Happy Camper.
33 comments| 73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 10, 2013
This is my first review for anything, so I will try to be as thorough as I can. I have had this monitor for about 3-4 days now and have used it mainly for Photoshop CS6, InDesign CS6 and Illustrator CS6, with the occasional hour bouts in the new SimCity.

Pros:
1440p is glorious no matter how you spin it in this soon to be dated 1080p dominant world. Asus guarantees no bright/dead pixels and I am definitely a satisfied user.

Reasonable response time for the pixel count. I have only seen light ghosting in one circumstance: when you scroll through a webpage (at any rate of speed). It's great that the grey-to-grey response time is right around 6-8 ms, which helps really make this not a huge issue (not for me anyway). I haven't played any fps games yet, but intend to when I upgrade my graphics card later this year. That will be the true gaming test, and so I will update this review accordingly.

Ports and Cables: This may be the first time where I received a product that not only gave me all the cables I could need, but also a bunch of PC expansion hubs as a nice tip. The Super Charging USB 3.0 Port is great for my smartphone. The fact that the other ports are all USB 3.0 is a nice futureproofing piece. The plethora of video input options you have with this thing is awesome.

AH-IPS: The viewing angles are excellent and the high quality panel shows no IR issues (as seen in Dell U2713H, a similar kind of monitor). I just did the standard checkerboard test, but also ran photoshop for a solid 11 hours one day, and still no issues.

Stand: I love that this monitor has such a nice sturdy and sleek stand. Doesn't take that much space and gives you easily 6 inches of needed height (like in my case). The ability to tilt is also excellent. I know that this can rotate, but haven't bothered with that yet. I don't think I will use it in a 9:16 format, but it's handy.

OSD/Ruler markings: As a graphic designer, not only does the pre-calibrated color help a bunch (Adobe RGB 99%, sRGB 99%,NTSC 120%), but the onscreen print sizes as well as the ruler markings and angle markings all around the monitor help so much in layouts and design. The shortcut keys are cool, but I have not set them up yet.

Cons:

Price: Almost $1000 for one of these things (including tax, in my state), but I gotta say, I haven't regretted it yet, and do not plan on regretting it anytime soon.

So there you have it. My initial review is that even with the barely visible ghosting in scrolling, this thing is one awesome monitor, and the price is the only thing that makes it a hard buy. If you are in graphics at all, I would highly recommend this over the Dell U2713H (the other monitor I was considering).

The Dell U2713HM and the Asus PB278Q are more comparable with one another as the Dell U2713H and Asus PA279Q are with each other.

UPDATE #1: Looks Like I upgraded my video card sooner than I thought I would. I'm currently running two EVGA GTX 760 Superclocked cards in SLi. In SLi, these cards are performing around (or even better than) the GTX TITAN.
As for 1440p gaming, I have played Metro Last Light, Crysis 3, Skyrim, Borderlands 2, Arkham City, SimCity, Battlefield 3, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, and Dishonored on the display, and I have to say with the right video card equipment, the lowest framerate I get at ultra is 40-45 fps in Metro Last Light (resource demanding game). The others all run well over 70+ fps at 2560x1440 with Ultra settings and AA enabled.

I have not seen any ghosting or other issues, and I really love the fact that colors look so nice on this monitor.

I would say if you are a graphic artist and you enjoy games, this is a great option to go with. If you are just a gamer and have the cash, then this is still a great monitor to go with. If you are saving on cash, I'd take a look at the Asus PB278Q. I'm considering it for a second monitor, since I only need one tuned/calibrated one for work.

UPDATE #2: Guild Wars 2 went on sale, so I picked up a copy, and holy cow, the vividness and gameplay is amazing. No ghosting whatsoever, and as long as you have a solid internet connection, no lag.

Now onto the main portion of the update--After owning this for about 3-4 weeks, I have absolutely no regrets nor buyer's remorse. Yes, the $1000 dollar price tag is high, I understand that, but if you are a graphic designer like myself and you use monitors easily over 14+ hours in a day, then I do not think you would have any regrets in picking this monitor up. It is a very high quality monitor, the matte screen is excellent if you work in print like I do, but also gets rid of glare.

I have long been an an Asus system builder, in fact my machine now is the Sabertooth 990FX, which is going strong at 2 years already. My previous board was an A8N-SLi Premium from 2004, and at 9 years, it's still rocking my AMD FX-55 OC'ed without any issues.
With that said, I have a lot of faith that I will definitely get my money's worth out of this monitor, and I would highly recommend it to any graphic designer, or Color OCD nerds (Yeah, I know you guys exist... I just can't believe you would spend this kind of money to resolve that OCD... :))
1010 comments| 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 13, 2013
For 8 years I have been using a pair of top grade (at the time) 24" monitors employing TN technology. As my photo/video processing has become a bit more complex I wanted to advance to the newer IPS presentation and a larger color spectrum.

I spent many hours reviewing monitorships best suited for use in Photo and Video Editing. Though the ASUS PA249Q is relatively new to the market it began to appear in blogs and reviews time and time again with glowing reports. I had pretty much decided on another top flight monitor, complete with a calibration package, that has been around for several years. Liking what I saw with the ASUS, the newer creation date, and the price, I purchased two (2) 24" ASUS PA249Q units to give them a try.

The monitors arrived two days later... Well packaged and well protected. The monitors and bases are "pre-assembled" in the box... take them out and put them on the desk... done. Input connections are well placed, as are the on-screen controls. The tilt, rotation, and elevation adjustments are very, very smooth.

The units come Pre-calibrated... On set-up I came across the included calibration sheets. Both calibrations indicated a Delta E of < 3 (very, very good) Like most factory settings for brightness I found on start-up that both units were set at about 220... Bright enough to burn out your retinas in a dim room ! Both monitors presented, to my eyes, virtually identical images/color in all settings even that brightly lit. Having IPS the monitors are clearly visible, with no color or definition loss, even at extreme angles... a fantastic improvement over TN technology.

Out of curiosity I decided to calibrate the units using my Spyder Pro 4 . I found the on screen menu extremely easy to use. Setting a more appropriate brightness at 120 and running the program I was very pleased with the results... Once again I ended up with a Delta E of well less than 3. On bringing up a series of photos from LR 5 on both screens I was amazed at the identical imagery between the two units. Absolutely no unit- to- unit correction was necessary. I employed soft proofing within LR and printed several shots on my Epson 3880. Allowing for a slight brightness difference due to the LED backlighting on the monitors, the colors, and contrast, as far as I ( and friends) could discern, were extremely accurate. The prints were identical to the monitors... truly WYSIWYG !

A number of the abilities of the Asus PA249Q are a pleasure to use.... User settings, and the ability to switch between RGB and sRGB color displays are among them.

With continuing usage I am convinced that I made a very good decision when I elected to get the ASUS monitors. Sitting side by side they provide me with what I consider to be a perfect display for my photography/video needs. All Pros and no Cons to this point. I would highly recommend this product from ASUS.
33 comments| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 3, 2013
I like the monitor. One major word of caution for Mac users without a direct DVI connection, be careful which cable you buy to connect this. I originally purchased a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable to connect my MacBook Pro Retina via its Thunderbolt port, which seemed logical to me. But as soon as I turned it on and began setting it up, I noticed the Adobe RGB Mode and sRGB Mode default color profile settings were grayed-out in the display settings, meaning I could not use or switch to those. I connected the monitor to an old MacPro with DVI ports to verify those settings did actually work.

I created a trouble ticket on the Asus web site, and then called support to ask them about the connection problems using the Thunderbolt to DisplayPort cable. After a little research, they told me the fix was to use a Thunderbolt to DVI cable instead, which would restore the Adobe RGB and sRGB options. I considered purchasing the Apple Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter, but that has a female end, requiring the use of the Asus-supplied DVI cable as well. I decided to purchase a BlueRigger Mini DisplayPort to DVI Male cable instead, so I could connect them directly. I nervously re-connected everything, a little worried this wouldn't work either, but fortunately, this cable does work, and I can use the Adobe RGB and sRGB settings now. So good marks for Asus support, though it was a little unfortunate I had to go through this process to get it to work correctly. This monitor is aimed at graphics professionals, and a large percentage of those will be Mac users, so Asus should consider including an inexpensive Mini DisplayPort to DVI cable in the box. Or at least stating this on the box or manual or product description. Hence this review.

For any PC user and Mac user with older DVI connections this obviously won't be a problem. I have no idea why the Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable wouldn't work, or if any other cable connections are problematic with those modes.

As for the display itself, I'm pretty happy with it so far, but have not had a chance to do major testing or worked on it for long. My other displays are a 27" iMac, MacBook Air, various MacBook Pros, including the ultra-high res 15" Retina display. Compared to all those, this 24" Asus PA249Q seems fairly low resolution and slightly soft, which is why I gave it 4 starts instead of 5. (increasing the sharpness settings beyond 60 just makes everything progressively more pixilated) This rating is probably not a reflection of the quality of the monitor, but a backhanded critique of the limitations of native 1920 x 1200 resolution. I have a fairly old Apple 23" display which is also 1920 x 1200, and even that old monitor feels slightly sharper because the same number of pixels fit 23 inches instead of the Asus 24 inch display. If you will be working with typefaces, and extremely high resolution photos and illustrations, this display may just not be high enough pixel count. On the plus side, the screen resolution means that everything is larger and text much easier to read, compared to hi-dpi displays.

Overall I think this is a good, reasonably affordable semi-pro monitor for graphic designers or photographers looking for Adobe RGB and sRGB calibrated displays. For everyday PC users, and Mac users who just want a 24" 1920x1200 display as an alternative to Apple's huge and expensive 27" glossy display, they might be fine with a regular and cheaper non-calibrated 24" display.

Other pluses are the height adjustment, which Apple's displays never provide, which is frustrating, and the matte screen of course, which minimizes glare and reflections. The monitor and stand seems reasonably stable. It's silent, and runs fairly cool.

Minuses: I don't like the USB port connections positioned on the side of the monitor. USB cables sticking out the side looks kind of silly in my opinion, but admittedly they are very conveniently located for temporary connections. I would have preferred them all on the back. The case is made of generic black plastic material, but okay quality for the price range. Do be careful when rotating the display to portrait orientation. I didn't raise it quite high enough on the stand so as the monitor rotated, the sharp back corner of the display left a permanent scuff mark on the base! I guess that's one mistake you learn from.

The control buttons on the right side are very handy, but the toggle control dial/button is a bit touchy, you may find yourself toggling back and forth to the setting you wish to adjust. That's a minor quibble, once you have the display set up you probably won't need to use those often, and will learn the quirks of navigating with it.

The display is working well with the MacBook Pro, I'm able to leave that closed and use the Asus to wake the computer without issue. So with my set-up I finally have a silent computer running a manageable, reasonably affordable display, without the disadvantages of Apple's big, expensive, glossy 27" monitor.
on January 4, 2014
The number of monitors in the market today is really mindboggling, perhaps unnecessary. Numerous price points, numerous sizes, display technologies, etc. I am a hobbyist photographer and wanted to upgrade from my 8 year old Acer P221W. It was a fine monitor for its time, but I wanted something that would give me great color reproduction. Various reviews led me to try the Asus PA249Q.

I like the potential of Asus, but the quality control, or lack thereof, is driving me to return my second unit and try the Dell U2413. My first unit had a bright pixel. Not a huge deal, but Asus warrants against a single bright pixel for 3 years, so back it went. The second unit has terrible backlight uniformity across the screen when viewing dark images (pure black as a test), going from wonderfully black on the left to almost grey on the right. I'm sure I could live with it, but given what Asus is trying to achieve with this monitor I don't think I should have to settle.

If you get a good one, I think you'll be very happy with it. The colors are wonderful and accurate and the 16:10 ratio is a dream to work on. Perhaps the third time would be a charm, but I'm not willing to take the chance of having to return another one.
on November 18, 2013
If you looking for the screen for photo editing, look no further. With 100%sRGB and 99% Adobe RGB, 16 bit images look just stunning, almost 3d like. Menus are clear and provide a lot of configuration options. The stand is heavy and very sturdy, the screen stays in position (no wobbles or shakes). Also very convenient USB 3.0 hub and SD card reader.
Games and movies look great as well, but you may see some ghosting in some tones ( doesn't really bother me), but if your primary work is photo illustration, graphics related, than this screen is everything you need!
on March 6, 2014
I obtained two of these displays to use with my late 2013 Macbook Pro Retina running MacOS 10.9 (Mavericks). I quickly learned that Apple treats this display in a brain-damaged fashion. Fortunately, users can outsmart Apple and unlock the potential of this display.

Out of the box, connected via Thunderbolt/Mini DisplayPort, this display looks terrible. Fonts on the screen look like they have been corroded by acid, the sRGB/Adobe RGB modes are unavailable, scrolling text leaves huge, smearing ghosting that lasts for 500 ms, etc.

This is due to Apple's mistake of treating this display as a *television*. This can be confirmed by checking the System Report and looking at Graphics/Displays. The entry for these PA279Q's will say "Television: Yes".

This can be fixed by overriding the EDID values for the displays to force RGB mode. Now that I ran a patch script, installed the EDID override, rebooted, and changed the monitor config to sRGB via the display's On-Screen Display menu, the color is wonderful, text/fonts are sharp, the horrible ghosting of scrolling text is gone, and the disabled color spaces are available.

All the blame lies on Apple for this. Why is there no "Treat this display as a television" checkbox in the Mac OS display control panel? Why would Apple presume a DisplayPort/Thunderbolt display is a television anyway? As a matter of fact, I doubt a DisplayPort-capable television even exists! Ironically, Windows makes it easy to control whether a display is treated as a television or as an RGB monitor.

EDID override instructions from relevant blog post:
[...]

The first time you reboot after installing the EDID override the screen will look EVEN WORSE than it does out of the box: it will look like it is smeared with Vaseline. So, don't freak out. You just need to go into the on-screen control panel on the display itself, go into the "Splendid" section, and choose sRGB Mode (or Adobe RGB Mode). The display will snap into "focus" and instantly delivers the saturated, crisp beauty the display is capable of. You shouldn't have to do anything to it after that (everything persists after reboots/shutdowns/etc).

I did NOT deduct a star for Apple’s mistreatment of this display; rather, the deduction is for capacitor noise. In an absolutely silent room, depending on what is being displayed on screen, the display can emit a soft ringing sound. The sound is undistinguishable if there is any background noise at all (e.g. a computer fan or even soft music would mask it). Both displays are the same, so I presume it is not a defect.

I remain satisfied with these displays after several months of use. I would purchase them again without hesitation.
66 comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on February 6, 2014
I really wanted to love this monitor. The price point is great for a higher-end monitor. It's a wide gamut, factory precalibrated model. I bought two, and the colors were indistinguishable straight out of the box, and images are very attractive and natural. It has a good number of interface options (DVI, display port, VGA (though note that via VGA one can't support the the native 1900x1200 size), and HDMI. Good viewing angle, and the stand adjusts well in all the ways it should.

BUT, and for me this was the deal-killer, the power supply is noisy. On both monitors, if anything is plugged into the onboard USB port, the monitor starts a very high-pitched squeal that is simply intolerable. One of the two had a slightly softer version of that squeal even when nothing is plugged in to the USB port. Unless your high frequency hearing is shot, this could drive you nuts. It sure drove me nuts.

I don't know if this is a design flaw or a quality control problem, but with both of the ones I purchased showing the symptom, I don't want to take a chance with another two. Amazon is willing to take these back, but I won't push my luck with another couple of the same model.
44 comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 10, 2016
- Make sure that your video card supports DP 1.2 for 3840x2160 @ 60Hz
- Make sure that the monitor is set to DP 1.2 (See MENU>SYSTEM SETUP> DISPLAYPORT STREAM)
- Make sure your video card control panel is running the monitors at a colot bit-depth of 8-bit (can change to 10-bit later). In Nvidia, it's the Output color depth.

If all 3 of those are good to go, you should be able to use the DP to mini-DP cable provided with the monitors. I was having the same issue, but after setting the monitor to DP 1.2 and changing to 8-bit, I got 60Hz. After setting it to 60Hz, I was able to move it back up to 10-bit. Running two of these is fantastic. Using a M4000 to power them.
on March 21, 2015
Viewing it side by side to an calibrated NEC PA272W and calibrated NECLCD2680WUXi, the ASUS PA279Q looks a little green. The factory color calibration card was within spec (delta E <2) but that is for the overall. The delta E for green was almost 3 which is what I think affected the color of the monitor. In addition, the 14 bit LUT cannot be calibrated by the user so this left me with a monitor that started slightly off and will drift more over time. I could spend a few hundred dollars on a color calibrator that would only calibrate at the computer GPU or for the same price as the ASUS and calibrator, I could buy the NEC PA272W with calibrator that would calibrate both my NEC monitors.
Both NEC monitors have better glare resistance as well. I could see the doorway behind me as a bright spot in the ASUS, but barely with either of the NEC monitors in the same location.
I ended up returning the ASUS and kept the NEC PA272W.
If you are less concerned about color calibration, it is a fantastic deal for an IPS panel. The ASUS also has many ports including USB 3. The NEC has the ability to switch USB depending on the video input so I can use my desktop keyboard and mouse with my laptop and the big monitor.
After having the ASUS and the NEC PA272W for a couple of weeks to compare here are my takes on the ASUS PA279Q:
Pro:
USB 3 ports
Thin bezel
Versatile stand
Lightweight
Pricepoint is good for a close to calibrated IPS screen.

Con:
Color calibration from the factory is good but not great.
Too bright. Hard to adjust the brightness to get 120cd/m^2.
In sRGB mode many color adjustments are not available. Without a calibrator, it is impossible to dial this monitor to match another. I also tried dialing it in using the windows and AMD Catalyst software without luck.