Customer Video Review     Length:: 1:49 Mins
Published 8 months ago by Rafael

2.0 out of 5 stars Works but is very fragile
Published 3 months ago by Joel S Hanania

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for Computer Animation ! BEST PURCHASE EVER MADE !!, November 18, 2013
This review is from: ASUS HD Portable USB-Powered Monitor with USB 3.0 (MB168B) (Personal Computers)
Length:: 1:49 Mins

I'm a current student of 3D arts and computer animation. I am currently using two monitors for my projects but I felt like I should get another one as a third monitor. I'm traveling around all the time and I also having some sort of portable external monitor like this would be a big plus. So I bought this Asus Mb168B as my birthday present. I have tested this device on both 3.0 USB and non 3.0 and I felt no difference at all. It's slim. It's light. It's really HD. I had NO PROBLEM WITH THE COVER AT ALL. By the way, I have made a video tutorial about how to use the case for this External monitor right here

[...]

I don't understand these many people giving bad reviews about this cover/stand. I think it's kind lame. Even if you read the manual, it's gonna show you how to use it. This for sure is the best External Portable Monitor EVER MADE ON EARTH (so far).

There's no lag. I have also tried playing my games on it. IT WORKS PERFECTLY. The brightness, color and overall display quality are excellent to work with photoshop. Maya. 3D Max. Adobe Suite in general. I highly recommend it for everyone working with Computer Animation and 3D arts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, one minor flaw., November 9, 2013
As an external auditor, I travel from client to client. As such, I was looking for a lightweight portable monitor. Well, I can easily say I found it. This monitor does just what I need it to. It is very portable and easy to set up, no matter where I am working. I even set this monitor up while I am cuddled up on the couch studying for the CPA exam. This portable monitor easily enables me to increase productivity and comfort while working with multiple applications. To top it off, the monitor is Mac compatible (just install displayLink) driver and viola! All and all a great addition to my tech inventory.

Note: The USB connection at the monitor is not the best connection, minor jostling will cause the cable to become slightly disconnected. This is a minor irritation and not worth lowering my overall rating. I just want other buyers to be aware of this flaw. All you have to do is re secure the connection and things are right again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Works but is very fragile, April 15, 2014
I have owned this portable monitor for a few months carrying it in a briefcase to and from classes. During this time the monitor was always inside its case and I was always careful to avoid any unnecessary risk. Unfortunately since it is impossible for things not to move inside a briefcase while walking my screen, though inside its case, broke. With this product being marketed towards portability, I was expecting much more when its came to its durability. Before this the screen worked as intended except for having a loose cable port on the monitor itself. When I called ASUS about my dilemma I found out that the screen is not covered under the warranty, and would cost a flat $90 +80% of the original cost of the item. In this case that comes to $230 or about 25% more than the original cost of the item. While I have enjoyed this product I am very disappointed in its construction and durability, as that it does not meet the requirements of even gentle travel nevertheless being fully portable. I would not recommend this to a friend

Also note the monitors stand/case is not very sturdy, and after finding out how fragile the screen is I would be very cautious.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly with 2013 Macbook Pro Retina (OSX Mavericks), January 25, 2014
Installation instructions:
1) Download the latest version of DisplayLink for MacOS which is compatible with OSX Mavericks.
2) Restart your computer.
3) Plug in the monitor to your Macbook via the provided USB cable.
4) Enjoy having an external monitor on-the-go.

Pros:
1) Much, much better resolution than I had anticipated for a USB-powered monitor. It is the perfect for placing chat windows, browser windows, file windows or anything else that you aren't actively working on but would like to retrieve or glance at occasionally.
2) You can view Youtube and other flash-based videos on it with little to no lag.
3) The monitor is very thin, light and portable. It has a very sleek design.
4) Comes with a case that doubles as a stand.

Cons:
1) Cannot adjust the brightness when connected to a Mac but honestly that is not even an issue with this monitor. The brightness is perfect as-is.

Overall I am highly satisfied with this purchase. I will update in the future to comment on its durability.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great travel monitor, March 11, 2014
John (Naperville, IL, United States) - See all my reviews
I was looking for a travel monitor so I can still use dual monitors while on business trips. This monitor definitely fit the bill. The only thing I regret is not getting the higher resolution model, but that is my fault. The product works well, is plug and play, and, despite other reviews, the case doubles well as a monitor stand. You just have to use the little lip on the inside of the case instead of setting the monitor on the outside of a closed flap.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Fine, March 4, 2014
I got the monitor on Saturday as a secondary display at home when I work with ESRI ArcMap. I have my main monitor running the program and use the usb monitor to display secondary information that I might need. Things like displaying pdf's, websites, the attribute tables for the layers so they don't block the display of ArcMap, etc. It works perfect for tasks and software that is better used with two displays. I wasn't expecting to use this as a main monitor and since it is usb, I just unplug it and put it away when it is not needed to save space on my desk.

People, don't expect this to be the high quality of a full fledged monitor with a power cord to the wall and all the fancy technology that comes with a dedicated display. This is designed to be a on the fly second display that can be carried around and reach a target price of $140. For what it is intended to be used as, it works and I'm very happy with my purchase.

About the display falling off the stand, I use an Amazon basics 10'' tablet holder that is like $7 bucks. It works great holding it in landscape and does the job for portrait. Just use care not to bump the display or table hard as I can see it easily tipping over in portrait mode.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, May 12, 2014
The Product is awesome, just what I needed for on the go data-analysis, programming and multi-document work. I even gave up using my extra monitor at home because this was so easy to set up and use.

It has the slightest lag and obviously eats away at your battery faster if you're not attached to a power source. and I may have noticed a slight slow-down on my processing(but my laptop is 5 yrs old), but overall, the monitor is amazing and it hasn't diminished my slow-down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best portable screen on the market!, April 18, 2014
I'm a freelance website designer and online marketing consultant and spend a LOT of time in clients offices and coffee shops working and this screen is really easy to set up and plug one cord in and the HD resolution matches up with my laptop resolution perfectly so when I move windows back and forth between the screens there is no contrast in the size of things. You notice this especially in internet browsers. Anyways, if you are on the market for one of these... This IS the one you want.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent enough for my needs, March 27, 2014
T. Pettus (Jacksonville, FL) - See all my reviews
I bought this to go along with my laptop, since while onsite at a client, I often need two monitors. The display is decent, but not as bright as my laptop screen. It doesn't get very bright, but it suits my purposes. I'd wanted to get the 1080p version of this (MB168B+), but they were out of stock, and I needed it for a business trip.

All in all, it does the job, but I'd probably get the higher-end model if I had to do it again.

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor Monitor, March 22, 2014
This monitor has a very noticeable lag on it even when connected via USB 3.0. Also, the carrying case is nice but it fails as a stand because of its poor stand design. It can only be viewed properly at very limited angles; any other angles it is very hard to see. The only good things about this monitor is that it is thin and has a nice display. There are much better portable monitors than this.

Edit: Upon further investigation, I found a solution to the lagging problem. Just download the latest version of the DisplayLink software from [...]

Rate and Discover Movies