Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Beach House $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Learn more

on November 18, 2013
I'm a current student of 3D arts and computer animation. I am currently using two monitors for my projects but I felt like I should get another one as a third monitor. I'm traveling around all the time and I also having some sort of portable external monitor like this would be a big plus. So I bought this Asus Mb168B as my birthday present. I have tested this device on both 3.0 USB and non 3.0 and I felt no difference at all. It's slim. It's light. It's really HD. I had NO PROBLEM WITH THE COVER AT ALL. By the way, I have made a video tutorial about how to use the case for this External monitor right here

[...]

I don't understand these many people giving bad reviews about this cover/stand. I think it's kind lame. Even if you read the manual, it's gonna show you how to use it. This for sure is the best External Portable Monitor EVER MADE ON EARTH (so far).

There's no lag. I have also tried playing my games on it. IT WORKS PERFECTLY. The brightness, color and overall display quality are excellent to work with photoshop. Maya. 3D Max. Adobe Suite in general. I highly recommend it for everyone working with Computer Animation and 3D arts.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 9, 2013
As an external auditor, I travel from client to client. As such, I was looking for a lightweight portable monitor. Well, I can easily say I found it. This monitor does just what I need it to. It is very portable and easy to set up, no matter where I am working. I even set this monitor up while I am cuddled up on the couch studying for the CPA exam. This portable monitor easily enables me to increase productivity and comfort while working with multiple applications. To top it off, the monitor is Mac compatible (just install displayLink) driver and viola! All and all a great addition to my tech inventory.

Note: The USB connection at the monitor is not the best connection, minor jostling will cause the cable to become slightly disconnected. This is a minor irritation and not worth lowering my overall rating. I just want other buyers to be aware of this flaw. All you have to do is re secure the connection and things are right again.
on April 15, 2014
I have owned this portable monitor for a few months carrying it in a briefcase to and from classes. During this time the monitor was always inside its case and I was always careful to avoid any unnecessary risk. Unfortunately since it is impossible for things not to move inside a briefcase while walking my screen, though inside its case, broke. With this product being marketed towards portability, I was expecting much more when its came to its durability. Before this the screen worked as intended except for having a loose cable port on the monitor itself. When I called ASUS about my dilemma I found out that the screen is not covered under the warranty, and would cost a flat $90 +80% of the original cost of the item. In this case that comes to $230 or about 25% more than the original cost of the item. While I have enjoyed this product I am very disappointed in its construction and durability, as that it does not meet the requirements of even gentle travel nevertheless being fully portable. I would not recommend this to a friend

Also note the monitors stand/case is not very sturdy, and after finding out how fragile the screen is I would be very cautious.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 4, 2014
I got the monitor on Saturday as a secondary display at home when I work with ESRI ArcMap. I have my main monitor running the program and use the usb monitor to display secondary information that I might need. Things like displaying pdf's, websites, the attribute tables for the layers so they don't block the display of ArcMap, etc. It works perfect for tasks and software that is better used with two displays. I wasn't expecting to use this as a main monitor and since it is usb, I just unplug it and put it away when it is not needed to save space on my desk.

People, don't expect this to be the high quality of a full fledged monitor with a power cord to the wall and all the fancy technology that comes with a dedicated display. This is designed to be a on the fly second display that can be carried around and reach a target price of $140. For what it is intended to be used as, it works and I'm very happy with my purchase.

About the display falling off the stand, I use an Amazon basics 10'' tablet holder that is like $7 bucks. It works great holding it in landscape and does the job for portrait. Just use care not to bump the display or table hard as I can see it easily tipping over in portrait mode.
on January 25, 2014
Installation instructions:
1) Download the latest version of DisplayLink for MacOS which is compatible with OSX Mavericks.
2) Restart your computer.
3) Plug in the monitor to your Macbook via the provided USB cable.
4) Enjoy having an external monitor on-the-go.

Pros:
1) Much, much better resolution than I had anticipated for a USB-powered monitor. It is the perfect for placing chat windows, browser windows, file windows or anything else that you aren't actively working on but would like to retrieve or glance at occasionally.
2) You can view Youtube and other flash-based videos on it with little to no lag.
3) The monitor is very thin, light and portable. It has a very sleek design.
4) Comes with a case that doubles as a stand.

Cons:
1) Cannot adjust the brightness when connected to a Mac but honestly that is not even an issue with this monitor. The brightness is perfect as-is.

Overall I am highly satisfied with this purchase. I will update in the future to comment on its durability.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 11, 2014
I was looking for a travel monitor so I can still use dual monitors while on business trips. This monitor definitely fit the bill. The only thing I regret is not getting the higher resolution model, but that is my fault. The product works well, is plug and play, and, despite other reviews, the case doubles well as a monitor stand. You just have to use the little lip on the inside of the case instead of setting the monitor on the outside of a closed flap.
on February 28, 2015
I bought this as a replacement for an AOC model that broke when something heavy shifted on to it in the trunk of my car. There are several reasons why I chose this because of AOC features that I did not like. I expected ASUS to be superior in those respects and it is:
1. CABLE: the cable is longer and more flexible that what AOC provided. AOC's was short and rigid.
2. CONNECTIONS: The connectors at both ends fit firmly in to place and stay connected. AOC's fit poorly and disconnected easily if the hardware was moved or jostled. Particularly aggravating was the fact that the AOC connection to the monitor was configured so that gravity worked against it when it was in the vertical position like I typically need it to be. With the ASUS the connection works with gravity because it's pointed downward when the monitor is vertical although the connection is solid enough that it probably would hold well anyway.
3. CASE: This is definitely superior. It's more solid, secure, and professional looking that the AOC sack. One negative is the elastic loop arrangement to hold the cable. It's a bit fussy to deal with when I am packing up and I wonder how long it will last.
4. FINISH: I carry my laptop and extra monitor between two offices that I manage. The mat finished bezel and the metal looking back have a much more professional look and supress the fingerprints that always marred the shiny black of the AOC.
5. STAND: This is why it only gets 4 stars. The AOC comes with a kick stand that conserves the use of space. The ASUS uses the carrying case as the stand. It might be nifty, but it hogs a lot of real estate and it is very difficult to use in one of my locations where the desk is small.
TAKEWAY: I would choose this again over the AOC for all the reasons stated above, but I now have to find a smaller stand. That's an added expense and one more thing to carry unless I buy one for each office and one for the car when I travel to an off-site location like visiting a client.
on February 18, 2014
Go:

1. Nice looking, lightweight design
2. Protective sleeve/stand included
3. Works with Mountain Lion after disc install (MacBooks with no optical drive will have to look online for driver download) -- other reviewers say will work with Mavericks
4. Good pricing

No-Go

1. Cannot turn up brightness using adjustment buttons on monitor (Mac monitor maxed; and no, ASUS Customer Reps, this is not a power management issue on the Mac itself. Your monitor loses its brightness control functionality when used with a MacBook Pro. Many other buyers have reported this issue.)
2. Appears I may not be able to return as I recycled packaging (my bad)
3. Seller slow to address (5 days) my request to return in Amazon box with bubble wrap etc.
4. ASUS customer service unreachable after calling 3 numbers (including a number specifically for monitors) and holding a total of 25 minutes

I want to like this monitor. I work in a design studio with lots of sunlight. Not being able to turn up a monitor from a very dim default setting is a non-starter.

I will post this review and wait for the ASUS Customer Loyalty generic cut-and-paste response so I can receive a case number and then I guess waste more of my time trying to find out if there is a way to a) make this display work or b) get a refund. I would prefer a).

On that note, it is claimed that the MB168B+ will have better brightness? Does that mean the adjustment settings will work?

My guess on this is that USB 3.0 does not provide enough power to brightly light an LCD / LED display. I would gladly plug in an AC cable if I could get more candlepower out of this product.

My final vexing question is: Why are there adjustment buttons on a display/monitor if I can't use them?
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 22, 2014
This monitor has a very noticeable lag on it even when connected via USB 3.0. Also, the carrying case is nice but it fails as a stand because of its poor stand design. It can only be viewed properly at very limited angles; any other angles it is very hard to see. The only good things about this monitor is that it is thin and has a nice display. There are much better portable monitors than this.

Edit: Upon further investigation, I found a solution to the lagging problem. Just download the latest version of the DisplayLink software from [...]
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I have a Surface pro 3 and I have a couple of interesting observations.

First, the stand/case is absolutely awful. Not even worth carrying. The only way I got it to work with by leaving the leatherette flap open, and setting the edge of the monitor into one of those little tabs on the inside of the case.

Second, the monitor does with with the SP3. I needed to install the DisplayLink drivers for Windows 8.1. You might have Windows 10 by the time you read this, so I will spare you hyperlinks and just have you search.

Third, the "HD" monitor only does 1366x768 resolution. I know, the 'HD' refers to dots per inch, but still, sheesh. If you want 1920x1080 you need the MB168B+, which is about $50 more. I don't have it, so I am not certain it works with the SP3.

Fourth, the cable that comes with it doesn't work. I got a Y cable as recommended (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L1K1OIA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00) and it doesn't need the extra power - just the better cable is good enough.

Sounds like I hate it, but I don't. I am disappointed. I wanted something better for the money, but I guess I just caught the tech during a changeup. Don't make the same mistake!

S