Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jessy Lanza Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation

on November 9, 2013
As an external auditor, I travel from client to client. As such, I was looking for a lightweight portable monitor. Well, I can easily say I found it. This monitor does just what I need it to. It is very portable and easy to set up, no matter where I am working. I even set this monitor up while I am cuddled up on the couch studying for the CPA exam. This portable monitor easily enables me to increase productivity and comfort while working with multiple applications. To top it off, the monitor is Mac compatible (just install displayLink) driver and viola! All and all a great addition to my tech inventory.

Note: The USB connection at the monitor is not the best connection, minor jostling will cause the cable to become slightly disconnected. This is a minor irritation and not worth lowering my overall rating. I just want other buyers to be aware of this flaw. All you have to do is re secure the connection and things are right again.
on November 18, 2013
I'm a current student of 3D arts and computer animation. I am currently using two monitors for my projects but I felt like I should get another one as a third monitor. I'm traveling around all the time and I also having some sort of portable external monitor like this would be a big plus. So I bought this Asus Mb168B as my birthday present. I have tested this device on both 3.0 USB and non 3.0 and I felt no difference at all. It's slim. It's light. It's really HD. I had NO PROBLEM WITH THE COVER AT ALL. By the way, I have made a video tutorial about how to use the case for this External monitor right here

[...]

I don't understand these many people giving bad reviews about this cover/stand. I think it's kind lame. Even if you read the manual, it's gonna show you how to use it. This for sure is the best External Portable Monitor EVER MADE ON EARTH (so far).

There's no lag. I have also tried playing my games on it. IT WORKS PERFECTLY. The brightness, color and overall display quality are excellent to work with photoshop. Maya. 3D Max. Adobe Suite in general. I highly recommend it for everyone working with Computer Animation and 3D arts.
77 comments|110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 4, 2014
I got the monitor on Saturday as a secondary display at home when I work with ESRI ArcMap. I have my main monitor running the program and use the usb monitor to display secondary information that I might need. Things like displaying pdf's, websites, the attribute tables for the layers so they don't block the display of ArcMap, etc. It works perfect for tasks and software that is better used with two displays. I wasn't expecting to use this as a main monitor and since it is usb, I just unplug it and put it away when it is not needed to save space on my desk.

People, don't expect this to be the high quality of a full fledged monitor with a power cord to the wall and all the fancy technology that comes with a dedicated display. This is designed to be a on the fly second display that can be carried around and reach a target price of $140. For what it is intended to be used as, it works and I'm very happy with my purchase.

About the display falling off the stand, I use an Amazon basics 10'' tablet holder that is like $7 bucks. It works great holding it in landscape and does the job for portrait. Just use care not to bump the display or table hard as I can see it easily tipping over in portrait mode.
on April 15, 2014
I have owned this portable monitor for a few months carrying it in a briefcase to and from classes. During this time the monitor was always inside its case and I was always careful to avoid any unnecessary risk. Unfortunately since it is impossible for things not to move inside a briefcase while walking my screen, though inside its case, broke. With this product being marketed towards portability, I was expecting much more when its came to its durability. Before this the screen worked as intended except for having a loose cable port on the monitor itself. When I called ASUS about my dilemma I found out that the screen is not covered under the warranty, and would cost a flat $90 +80% of the original cost of the item. In this case that comes to $230 or about 25% more than the original cost of the item. While I have enjoyed this product I am very disappointed in its construction and durability, as that it does not meet the requirements of even gentle travel nevertheless being fully portable. I would not recommend this to a friend

Also note the monitors stand/case is not very sturdy, and after finding out how fragile the screen is I would be very cautious.
77 comments|49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 19, 2015
I have a Surface pro 3 and I have a couple of interesting observations.

First, the stand/case is absolutely awful. Not even worth carrying. The only way I got it to work with by leaving the leatherette flap open, and setting the edge of the monitor into one of those little tabs on the inside of the case.

Second, the monitor does with with the SP3. I needed to install the DisplayLink drivers for Windows 8.1. You might have Windows 10 by the time you read this, so I will spare you hyperlinks and just have you search.

Third, the "HD" monitor only does 1366x768 resolution. I know, the 'HD' refers to dots per inch, but still, sheesh. If you want 1920x1080 you need the MB168B+, which is about $50 more. I don't have it, so I am not certain it works with the SP3.

Fourth, the cable that comes with it doesn't work. I got a Y cable as recommended (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L1K1OIA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00) and it doesn't need the extra power - just the better cable is good enough.

Sounds like I hate it, but I don't. I am disappointed. I wanted something better for the money, but I guess I just caught the tech during a changeup. Don't make the same mistake!

S
review image
on January 25, 2014
Installation instructions:
1) Download the latest version of DisplayLink for MacOS which is compatible with OSX Mavericks.
2) Restart your computer.
3) Plug in the monitor to your Macbook via the provided USB cable.
4) Enjoy having an external monitor on-the-go.

Pros:
1) Much, much better resolution than I had anticipated for a USB-powered monitor. It is the perfect for placing chat windows, browser windows, file windows or anything else that you aren't actively working on but would like to retrieve or glance at occasionally.
2) You can view Youtube and other flash-based videos on it with little to no lag.
3) The monitor is very thin, light and portable. It has a very sleek design.
4) Comes with a case that doubles as a stand.

Cons:
1) Cannot adjust the brightness when connected to a Mac but honestly that is not even an issue with this monitor. The brightness is perfect as-is.

Overall I am highly satisfied with this purchase. I will update in the future to comment on its durability.
33 comments|20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 18, 2016
I bought this for my MacBook Pro running El Capitan. While the driver allows the screen to be viewable, it appears nothing else was considered for the Mac. No rotation, as advertised, no brightness adjustment. Manufactures should not be advertising this for the Mac as compatible - it is not. If your advertised features won't work, then this should not be allowed - it is FALSE advertising.
on November 5, 2015
I was searching for a third monitor to place on my desk - far away from the computer - so that I could mirror my screen to show to clients without the bulk of a traditional desktop monitor. I came up with this portable monitor as an affordable solution. The monitor comes with a combination stand/case which looks great and works well, and a short USB cable. I purchased a separate, long cable which I ran under my desk so that it would not be in the way. The cable I purchased was Cable Matters® SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Type A to Micro-B Cable in Black - 15 Feet. I simply plugged one end of the cable into the monitor and the other end into the back of the computer. The cable provides both visual data and power to the monitor. I then adjusted the resolution on the computer. The resolution doesn't match the other monitors, which is annoying, but I have gotten used to it. The display is crisp and clean. The monitor is easy to move around my desk so that clients can move it as close to them as they would like. It looks professional and sleek. Note that I purchased this as "slightly used" from Amazon but there was nothing wrong with it. Very happy with this purchase
review image
on March 11, 2014
I was looking for a travel monitor so I can still use dual monitors while on business trips. This monitor definitely fit the bill. The only thing I regret is not getting the higher resolution model, but that is my fault. The product works well, is plug and play, and, despite other reviews, the case doubles well as a monitor stand. You just have to use the little lip on the inside of the case instead of setting the monitor on the outside of a closed flap.
on March 22, 2014
This monitor has a very noticeable lag on it even when connected via USB 3.0. Also, the carrying case is nice but it fails as a stand because of its poor stand design. It can only be viewed properly at very limited angles; any other angles it is very hard to see. The only good things about this monitor is that it is thin and has a nice display. There are much better portable monitors than this.

Edit: Upon further investigation, I found a solution to the lagging problem. Just download the latest version of the DisplayLink software from [...]