Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on April 8, 2012
First, be sure to install the DD-WRT firmware (note that the "B1" hardware version, what you will likely receive, does NOT work with Tomato firmware as of Apr 8, 2011).

To install the DD-WRT firmware on this router, look up the router on the DD-WRT Supported Database [...]. On this router, there are two files that need to be installed:
1. factory-to-ddwrt.trx
2. asus-rt-n10plus-ddwrt-webflash.bin

Using your laptop/PC and assuming a Windows OS as well as DHCP, using your browser, go to 192.168.1.1 (username and password = "admin"). Go to Administration and upload the factory-to-ddwrt.trx file. Once that completes, wait about 5 minutes and unplug your router and plug it back in.

You're done; just configure your router as you would any other router (visit DD-WRT's website for help if needed). Note, the firmware is quite comprehensive and can turn this little router into a thousand dollar device if desired. For most, the default settings plus wireless security is all you'll like need.

Remember, Tomato is currently unsupported on the "B1" version (the previous non-B1 version is supported). If you tend not to read material like me and try to install Tomato, you will brick your router as I did.

To unbrick your router:

1. Change the DHCP network setting to Static and set the IP Address to 192.168.1.15 (the "15" is critical, this is the IP Address this router is expecting on a firmware flash). Make sure your gateway is set to 192.168.1.1

2. While power is on your router and an ethernet cable is connected between your router and laptop/PC, depress the Reset button on the router using a paper clip. While holding the Reset button in, unplug the router - wait 10 seconds - plug it back in and continue to hold the Reset button for about another 10 seconds until the WPS light starts to blink (the router is now in recovery mode). Note, the router will not accept a ping at this point in case you're checking.

3. If using Windows, download TFTP2.exe from [...](or google and download from elsewhere). Note, if using Windows 7, you'll need to go Control Panel > Programs & Features > Turn Windows Features On (in LHS panel) and check "TFTP Client".

4. Run the downloaded TFTP2.exe program and set the Server = 192.168.1.1; leave Password blank; and use the factory-to-ddwrt.trx file to reflash your router.

5. Wait 5 minutes, unplug and replug your router.

6. Change your network settings back to DHCP (wait about 1 minute before going to the next step).

7. Using your browser again, once again visit 192.168.1.1. Change your username and password and click Save. Then, go to Administration and upload the asus-rt-n10plus-ddwrt-webflash.bin file. Once that completes, wait about 5 minutes and unplug your router and plug it back in. Your router should be working fine now.

Just a note: I previously was using a Linksys WRT54GS router with Tomato (rock solid). I bought this Asus wireless router for the purpose of extending the wireless range and for the gigabit file transfer speeds (I have a NAS on my network). One thing I noticed with this Asus router is that my web pages render faster than with the Linksys router which was a pleasant outcome.

For the price, not a bad little device. Like others have pointed out, it is cheaply made. But, for the money, the value is hard to beat. As for longevity, time will tell.
77 comments| 64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 21, 2013
My old router was way overdue, many years have past and I was looking primarily into grabbing a router with Guest SSID so I can give out wifi access to guests who come to our house and not worry about leaving my whole network wide open. Once I started my research, I was faced with all the nice fast and high cost routers. I asked myself, really? Do I need this or that? Sure, having the best router was nice and having all the features available was great but do I need that? Ultimately I went looking for a low cost and less featured router and found the ASUS RT-N10+. The ASUS allows me to do what I wanted to and more, also comes at a great price. I see no drop in speeds over wifi and it meets the needs for me so I see no real reason to pay more, especially over a hundred for bragging rights on some of the latest / fastest routers.

If you are looking for a router, see what your immediate use and needs are, and go from there. No use buying an expensive router because the features sound nice to have, just in case. The industry and manufacturers are constantly introducing new features and models, you may end up wasting money on more expensive routers with features you never use.

8/16/14 UPDATE: Over the last month or two, I have been noticing something strange with the router. Overnight, the wifi does not work even if the device and router shows connected. This only happens on the Guest SSID. The standard SSID which my notebook is connected to and have access to internet and network, works fine without issues. It's the tablet and smartphones which I only allow internet, that have the problem. A reboot of the router and all is working again. Noticed also a glitch where the WPS light is on even when in the settings, WPS is disabled. This also requires a reboot to turn off the WPS light.

I've tried a number of settings in the router to see if anything works but have not been able to resolve the problem. Will try Asus support to see if they have a clue with the Guest SSID issue.

UPDATE 8/20/14: Ok, still haven't contacted Asus for troubleshoot but I've made some changes and so far the wifi signal has not dropped overnight. The changes I made were reducing the Fragmentation Threshold to 2306 and RTS Threshold to 2307, lowering the Beacon Interval to 50, I also disabled the b/g Protection box. These from some of the many suggestions from a PCMAG article by Samara Lynn (10 Wireless Router Features You Should Be Using but Aren't). So far so good, not sure which had an effect but I will update if the wifi breaks in the future.

Please click YES if my review have been helpful to you, it will encourage me to continue writing and updating my reviews, and leave a comment if you have any questions, I will be more than happy to answer if I can be of help.
on October 24, 2011
As a networking guy for a school, I have bought a lot of routers over the years, but found a gem I when I picked up one of these. It is easier to use and less hassle than any high dollar router I've ever purchased (I've bought from Apple, Netgear and Cisco). We currently have six of them in use. The great thing about these routers is they give you every feature you really need at a price that makes them nearly disposable (not that any have broken on me yet).
on July 5, 2011
I purchased this to replace an ailing Linksys WRT54GL router. I was looking for a DD-WRT compatible router because with the right hardware, this firmware will run for several years without the need for a reboot. Well, this seems to be such hardware. The Asus gear works very well with the DD-WRT firmware and has not needed a reboot since we installed it.

The router is not only solid but it is attractive as well.
on October 25, 2011
I bought this router from a local store about 6 months ago, to replace a Buffalo router with a failed wireless board. I wanted to make sure I got a router that was explicitly supported by DD-WRT, since that is what I was running on my old router, but I decided to give the ASUS firmware a chance first. Configuration was easy enough, but the wireless connection was inconsistent and kept dropping, even though my laptop was 10 feet away. Sometimes it wouldn't reconnect automatically, which forced me to reboot the router once a day on average. I gave up after a week and installed DD-WRT, and it has been solid ever since. So while this is a good inexpensive router, in my opinion it really needs DD-WRT installed to make it reliable.
on May 16, 2013
I flashed this unit with DD-WRT and run it from solar panels. Putting DD-WRT on it was easier than any other device I've tried. It turns out this router will accept a really wide voltage; you can power it from batteries or solar panels. It draws about ~170ma.
on November 25, 2012
I have two of these. At $25 each they are worth the money. IMO you have to install DD-WRT; with mfr. firmware they are strictly 2 star routers.

Pros:
Cheap
Fast
Dd-wrt compatible

Cons:
Wireless signal goes off 1x/minute
Mfr firmware instructions are very minimal

I have installed dd-wrt on one of mine largely according to the instructions in camera shy's review from apr 2012. That has solved the periodic connection dropping issue - it is a genuine always on connection now. However, only half my devices can connect to the dd-wrt network. The iOS devices and the windows pc are fine, but the macbook pro and the kindles cant even see the dd-wrt router. Not yet sure what is going on there.

UPDATE: The MBPs want the DD-WRT wireless security mode set to TKIP+AES, not AES only.

UPDATE: May 2014. I just upgraded to a faster router. As of the time of shutdown, the RT-N10+ had been continuously up for 255 days running DD-WRT. The only adverse event was that the http server for the DD-WRT gui crashed and had to be restarted via telnet once.
on September 18, 2011
Like many, I wanted to exhaust connectivity options for my home theater gear (Panasonic plasma, Blu-Ray player, WDTV Live) before running ethernet cable in my walls, patching drywall, texturing and painting. Just before going the wired route, I bought the ASUS (RT-N10+) 150 for it's repeater mode. It's been weeks and I'm thinking this might be one of the best values out there.

Setup was easy. The various mode options (router/bridge/repeater) are not only obvious but simple to configure. I'm using mine in Repeater mode which essentially rebroadcasts the wireless signal but the killer feature here is how the four ethernet ports are enabled and can be used to connect to non wifi enabled devices; my TV and BRD player. How cool is that?

Regarding throughput, it seems to fall halfway between wireless G and Cat5e cable; much like N does but I think this might be better than embedded N in components. The higher end power line ethernet devices are likely still better but only in optimally wired homes which mine is not.

Prior to using the ASUS, I was relying on the embedded wireless G on a Mac Mini to stream HD video from the embedded wireless N on a different and newer Mac Mini. Before rolling out the ASUS, I was limited to 720p and it was often choppy but now buffering has been nearly eliminated and streaming compressed 1080p video is now possible. Again, this setup still lacks the performance of wired but it's a winning compromise.

Okay, now let's talk value. Many wifi adapters for flat panels and BRD players cost $80 and provide connectivity to one device each. The ASUS provides 4 ethernet ports which could save hundreds if one has a lot of components. I plan to eventually move to an internet capable AVR or surround processor/pre-amp and I won't need to concern myself with connectivity.

It really does deserve 5 stars.
on January 11, 2013
So the GUI provided by ASUS on this thing for setup is terrible. I work on computers all day and this was bad enough that it confused me as to what it was doing. It tires to do a lot and has a lot of nice features but the whole thing is too much. I also started having some weird connectivity losses after installing this as my router. I am not ready to blame this strictly on the router since I am not 100% sure this caused the issue.

That said if you are tech savy this router can easily be flashed to the DD-WRT firmware and after that setup and everything else is a breeze while still offering the same or better features as the OEM firmware. Once I flashed it everything has been great, one issues with drops (again that could have been my ISP anyway) and performance has been great. If you have flashed a router before or have the technical chops to do so I would recommend this because of the low cost.
on April 9, 2013
I needed a router to bridge into my Verizon Jetpack wireless modem/router. This was looking promising judging by reviews. And it sure was.

Installing DD-WRT software was not exactly painless. I followed instructions from their website. But I had to google for some answers too. Main problem was - "apply" feature or dd-wrt software didn't immediately worked in Firefox browser. Strangely, I had to switch back and forth between IE and FF, to be able to do all the updates. Thanks google for solution, otherwise it'd take me years to guess to do that.

After software installed - it just works. Good range, and doing the bridge thing well. I.e. now I have two routers (verizon jetpack and this one) on the same wireless network.