4.0 out of 5 stars Some drawbacks, but a solid product
I ordered this netbook because I wanted the functionality of a notebook with some of the features of a tablet (most notably, for reading and highlighting PDFs and the like). This little Asus has impressed me so far on both accounts.
Published on July 19, 2011 by Amazon Customer

The manufacturer commented on the review below
1.0 out of 5 stars Major Ripoff - Lost All Respect for ASUS Name
I finally thought I would take the time to let people know about my experience with this ASUS product.

Published on October 16, 2012 by T.J.V.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some drawbacks, but a solid product, July 19, 2011
This review is from: ASUS Eee PC T101MT-BU37-BK 10.1-Inch Convertible Tablet - Black (Personal Computers)
I read the reviews of the folks with the Win 7 starter/ 1GB RAM version, and must say I have not had any of the problems they have had with performance. The touch screen works well enough, although when I updated my video driver it stopped working, so I had to roll back. There are a few spots at the edge of the screen where it gets a little less accurate, but on the whole I find it works the way I need it to.
The biggest problem I've had with the machine is, unfortunately, the charger. It ran very very hot for about a month, and now, not at all. I'm writing this with less than an hour left on my battery, and until a replacement charger gets to me (ordered separately- I have not been able to get through to Asus warranty support, so there goes that last star) I will not be able to use the computer, which is a pity.
Good machine at a better price, but you're not paying for great customer service.

4.0 out of 5 stars I like this machine...a lot!, October 8, 2011
There are Wintel tablets out there, but they cost about $1,000. And did I really want a pure tablet with no keyboard?

This is the replacement for my Asus 1008HA. It's a small computer, which I like. However, a lot of people don't care for the size of the keyboard, finding it too small. I don't mind it. More important, I like its feel much more than the keyboards of the two 1015PXs and 1018HAs that I tried on my way to this computer. The 1015PX purchased only two months ago as the best of the lot has been passed on to my son.)

I chose this version of the T101MT because I wanted the 2GB of memory, the larger hard drive, and Win 7 Professional. I could have bought the less expensive version and upgraded the memory and operating system myself, saving a few dollars in the bargain, but I was happy to avoid the headache and have Asus do it for me. Also, I wanted that larger hard drive.

What can you do with a touch screen and Windows? Much of what you can do with a mouse or trackpad. You can click and and you can drag, but instead of doing it with a cursor, you do it with either your finger or the built in stylus. I'm far from being expert here, though. My reason for getting it was to be able to do everything I could do with my 1008HA AND comfortably read PDF documents on a flat surface. I am not disappointed.

The biggest downside, and reason for 4 stars rather than 5, is its weight. The T101MT is 3 lbs 1 oz compared to the 1008HA's 2 lbs 5 oz. While the T101MT is only one-third again as heavy, it's the difference between knowing you're carrying something around and hardly noticing it at all...at least for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little device, January 2, 2012
Overall, I'm pretty dang happy with this device. I need something portable that I can take serious notes on during meetings and that can work offline. Tablets aren't there yet, but this netvertible meets you in the middle. It's Missing the finesse of a tablet, but delivers on productivity where a tablet just can't.

The device feels sturdy and well-built. My 3 year old got hold of it yesterday and I found it with the screen at a strange angle which made me think she'd broken the hinge, but it had held up just fine. Went right back into place.

The keyboard isn't too loud for typing in a meeting. Boot-up time is negated by the ability to put it to sleep for extended periods of time by simply closing it.

Don't expect to be awed by the screen or the battery. The touch experience and the viewing experience are both just average. I get about 3 solid hours of constant note-taking time before it cries for it's power cable. Works for me because it charges back up pretty quick, but may be too little for others.

Happy buyer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely LOVE this Netbook its in a class of its own so DONT COMPARE IT TO ANY OTHER!!!, March 11, 2012
Hello All,

if you all remember, this netvertible is the first of its kind!!! its not a traditional netbook, and not exactly a tablet! DO NOT COMPARE IT WITH ANY OTHER AS THERE IS NO COMPARISON!

now for my review...

This is a wonderul laptop.
This is a wonderful touchscreen netbook
This is a wonderful touch screet tablet!

I am a Technology Consultant who only needed a lightweight notebook to travel with, and i saw this. i was in the US at the time. When i did, i bought one immediately, and before i recieved it, i had traveled out back to Nigeria, so i had it shipped out to me there. I ordered another Tm101MT for my wife when i got to Nigeria, when mine arrived, i immediately set it up and started to use it, but noticed that the touch function was not available on the taskbar at all, so i assumed it was design! the second one arrived a month after (so i was out of return period) now this one had a flawless touch screen, and exactly the same specs as mine!

THIS HAS BEEN THE COMPUTER WITH BEST BALANCE HAVE EVER USED!

its a smooth, fast (4 core processor) machine with immence power. i have tested it with Windows 8, Ubuntu Linux 11, Android 4.03, and it has perforned admirably with all operation systems. The touch screen is responsive, yes you need more pressure (its a resistive screesn) but it delivers my needs! it runs on an intel Atom processor (which is designed for low power condumption, yet it outperformes my Acer centrino!!. i have found myself working witn this a lot more.

On battery power, this little wonder has had me working 6 hrs in Airport waiting lobbies before remembering to plug up! there are a few things people need to know about maximizing battery power. there are factors like screen brightness, wireless radio, external USb devices, 3G devices, all these things work off your battery and are not factored in when battery life is calculated, EXCEPT WHEN EXPLICITELY MENTIONED!!!

PLEASE! in tablet mode, don't compare it to an IPAD! or anything else. its like comparing a 4 door BMW 330i (a high performance everyday car) to a Honda NSX (a two seater sports car) yes they are both very fast, but obviously one can take the whole family of 4!! with an IPAD you still need another computer! please don't get me wrong the IPAD is the most beautiful technology aparatus ever conceived. but its NOT a laptop and its not a replacement for a laptop. if an IPAD will do all the things you need, then you did not need a laptop in the first place!!!

The T101MT does everything i need for a mobile computer, as well as a tablet. i am "writing" this review not typing, as it enables me do that. These days, l don't type So much anymore as I Can simply "write" what i need, and have my netbook converts it into text! l will willingly purchase a replacement screen for my first netbook and have both netbooks in this Shape!! I Just have not found where to get another acreen, as i am in Africa, NOBODY wants to ship to me! STILL LOVE THE NETBOOK EVEN WITH THE SCREEN!

Oladipo

4.0 out of 5 stars The Netbook for Students and Readers, May 2, 2012
I am reviewing this netbook from the view of a college student, and I have to say, I am impressed with this netbook. I wanted a device that had the portability and battery life of a netbook, the functionality of a laptop, and the ability to take handwritten notes in classes. The ASUS Eee PC T101MT-BU37-BK was the answer.

The product features review:

(1.) Intel ATOM N570 CPU: This processor seems to do the trick. I had very few problems browsing the internet, running multiple Microsoft Office 2010 programs (self-installed; does not come with PC), or playing a few low-end games. If you read around on some forums and are somewhat tech-savvy, you can even improve upon the power that you get from this processor.

(2.) 2GB DDR2 RAM: This is adequate for this device, but I personally think it could have benefited from 4 GB of ram. It can only take up to 2 GB.

(3.) 320GB HDD, 5400 rpm: This is a nice size hard-drive in a netbook. I had room for my (very extensive) music collection, some movies, all my school files, and then some more. If you need more space, I recommend purchasing an external hard-drive. It's always good to back up your files to multiple storage devices.

(4.) 10.1-Inch Touch Screen Display (Multi-Touch): The reason this netbook stands out above the rest. This is a pressure-sensative touchscreen that recognizes both hand and non-WACOM stylus input. The netbook comes with a stylus and has software integrated to recognize it as an input device other than your finger. I will say, however, that people who are use to touchscreens similar to those on smartphones or tablets may be disappointed. This screen is not based on the same technology and is not as accurate if you want to use the stylus a lot. I definitely recommend taking some time to practice writing in a program such as Evernote or Microsoft OneNote 2010 though. On the good side, this technology allows this netbook to have a superior battery life (up to 6 hours for me, low settings, tweaked CPU). Plus, the screen can swivel around and lay flat against the keyboard so that it LOOKS and FUNCTIONS like a tablet. I loved watching the look on my friends' faces when I would swivel the screen around and start typing away while they pulled out their wireless keyboards to use on their tablets.

(5.) Windows 7 Professional (32-bit) OS: Wait, what?! A netbook that doesn't come with Windows 7 Starter?! This is awesome! I can actually personalize my netbook to look however I want it to look without editing all kinds of system files! This was one of the main reasons I also decided on this netbook over others out there. I personally hate Windows 7 Starter Edition even though I understand it's great for things like netbooks. But trust me, this netbook can handle the awesomeness of Professional (32-bit).

Okay, the bad news then?

(6.) No optical drive: This can be a pain, especially if you have a lot of music on CDs (if you're old skool like that) or like to install a lot of retail software/games. But let me put it to you this way: this netbook is not designed for that because it's a work/school productivity device. If you want a gaming or multimedia laptop, you can find some nice used ones on Amazon for about the same price as this one. But if you must have an optical drive, it's not a bad investment to purchase an external CD/DVD-RW optical drive. With three 2.0 USB ports, there's plenty of room for a mouse and jumpdrive too.

So there you have it. Hope this helped you make a decision! I highly recommend this netbook for high school or college students that need a simple productivity netbook. It's also great for avid readers who can't justify spending $100-$200 on a dedicated ereader; just swivel the screen around, load up Kindle for PC, and read away!

Overall score: 4.4 / 5

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Major Ripoff - Lost All Respect for ASUS Name, October 16, 2012

I had previously owned multiple ASUS computers; even a netbook in the Eee PC family, and had always been satisfied. I liked the netbook I had so much, I thought I would upgrade to the touchscreen model expecting the same quality. This product has failed in so many ways.

Where to begin..
-When you recieve the product (yes I know this is specified) it comes with Windows 7 Starter on it. This makes more than half the features unfunctional so be prepared to upgrade to a premium version of Windows.
-So I did just that, spending over $100 on Ultimate version of 7. After upgrading things became unreasonable.
-The lower half of the touch screen became totally unresponsive.
-I had to install all the drivers to make things work again, unfortunately the touch screen never did work again. (And yes the BIOS needed updated as well)
-Within 1 week the screen quit working, within 3 weeks the wireless card went out.
-The speakers are so quiet they're useless making headphones a necessity.
-The resolution is so low it won't support many programs (including Windows 8 so don't consider buying this to upgrade).

Now on to the customer service...
-The email service was a complete waist of time. They just had me install a bunch of crapware that made no difference in whether or not the screen worked.
-The phone service went through the same amount of tedious rigamoroll before finally concluding it was a manufacture problem and that I would need to send it back in for 3 weeks to get a RMA service.
-I'm a full time student as well as a hotel manager, I have no time to send my only laptop away for 3 weeks.
-After reading mutliple forms online, I found that this was a common problem with the device and that some people had multiple models replaced and still had the problems.
-After calling back and cancelling the RMA I asked if there was any way to get a refund on the device since it was clearly under warranty, they simply said no.

So there it is, I would not buy this model if I were you. There is literally a 50-50 chance that this thing will work properly, and the simple fact that they don't even ship it with an adequate operating system is outrageous.
Now I'm stuck with a terrible product that I couldn't even sell on craiglist for 10% of the price because it's so jacked.

Please take this into consideration.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Oct 17, 2012 1:02:38 PM PDT
Dear Valued Customer,

Sorry to hear that you were having problems with the touch screen. The reason why windows starter is installed is because the chip that is being used. If it was something higher such as the 900 series chip set then you will be able to upgrade to windows 8.

Regardsing about refund, we do not do refunds here that you will have to speak to Amazon.

If you have any questions or comments you can email me at cl-jeffrey@asus.com

ASUS strives to meet and exceeds our customer expectations within our warranty policy.

Regards,

Jeffrey
ASUS Customer Loyalty

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!!, July 21, 2012
This was a gift for my son who is a writer. He is very pleased with it and is using it to work on another book. I am happy for him.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Defective Tablet/Very Defective Customer Service, September 25, 2012
Save yourself headaches. DO NOT waste your money on this computer. One of the most attractive features of this system should be the stylus feature. It serves as a notebook and allows the user to write directly on to the screen. Well this does not work and cannot be callibrated. The inaccuracy makes it a useless function. I quickly call the seller, they referred me to the manufacturer. The manufacturer couldn't fix it on a timely manner and I end up lossing my chance for a refund from the seller. After three months of absolute torture, dealing with incompetent customer service-because it is an outsourced service, I now have to send them the equipment to see if they can fix it. I have had a bad piece of equipment since the very beginning and their only solution is for the client to waste more time by sending them the item?! Asus does not up-grade nor gives refunds. They are very unflexible with their customers and do not believe in pleasing the client. I lost faith in the machine and their response is "we will try to fix it". AGAIN, DO NOT BUY THIS EQUIPMENT!!!! There are plenty of additional options out there.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Sep 26, 2012 9:50:46 AM PDT
Dear Valued Customer,

Sorry to hear that the touch screen was not working properly. We usually give a 10-14 business day turn around time for the repairs being done for our units. If the turn around time was longer I deeply apologize. If you need to send the unit in for service just email me and I'll be glad to help.

If you have any questions or comments you can email me at cl-jeffrey@asus.com

Regards,

Jeffrey
ASUS Customer Loyalty

2.0 out of 5 stars OK Asus Tablet but didn't last a year, June 20, 2012
OK so i'm giving it two stars because although the tablet was great it did not last 12 months. it stop working after 10 months...

monitor went black in the middle of a virus scan and that was it... never again did it work.

I would not buy Asus again. thanks

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little computer - almost, June 10, 2011
Patrick (New Bern, NC, United States) - See all my reviews
The T101MT is a great little computer. Fast, lightweight (relatively) and with plenty of disk space. The only sour notes are: The ad in Amazon says 320 GB hard drive. The computer, however, tells me it only has 303 GB. Hmmm I can live with that quirk. It took me a full day of cursing to reclaim my files from the Microsoft Trusted Installer. What a pain, but I finally won out. Lastly, the lagoon screensaver doesn't work. Asus claims it isn't compatible with the video card. What else haven't I found yet... All in all a very good computer and well worth the investment, despite the quirks.