4.0 out of 5 stars So far, it's great for my specific needs.
I got this at Best Buy a week ago and have had no problems whatsoever with it(knock on wood). I bought this to use when I travel at work, I am an IT salesman and hate carrying a full size laptop on trips. I'll start with the good:

Windows 8.1 is better than the old 8 on a few different levels but I won't get into that as I'm reviewing the tablet.

I...
Published 12 months ago by Kingfu72

2.0 out of 5 stars Loved it but returned it
Loved it after the long first time battery charge, worked great for a couple of weeks, then the screen stopped rotating no matter what I did. Ended up deleting the video driver and downloading and reinstalling, work after that. Next the sounds slider appearing on the screen that show up when you use the toggle switch on the side of the screen, which I never used but had...
Published 12 months ago by Nikon Addict

4.0 out of 5 stars So far, it's great for my specific needs., December 4, 2013
This review is from: ASUS Transformer T100T Notebook PC (Personal Computers)

I can charge from 0% to 100% in about 4 hours or so with the included USB brick, I also have a Jackery Bar 5600mAh that will almost fully charge the ASUS (90+%) in about 6 hours.

I tried to use a standard phone usb charger (not 2.1A) and it did nothing over 8 hours, so make sure you have the right charger.

Included Office 2013 installed and runs perfect, also had work IT dept install VPN and outlook and it all works fine.

All apps have installed and work perfect.

Surfing the web or navigating the tiles is fine and is up to standard for a device of this size.

No problems with wireless connectivity on home or work networks.

I hooked it up to my home TV to give a mock Power Point and it worked great, make sure you get a micro HDMI to HDMI adapter.

Touch screen is responsive I would rate it above average. Nice and Bright too.

Pretty fast for an Atom processor compared to older netbooks I have used.

SD card slot is handy and ASUS gives 1TB free storage.

Now for the not so good:

Trackpad is not that great, sloppy and not the best response, but tolerable.

The case of the tablet itself is very thin plastic, I'm not sure if this makes a difference but I bought a hard shell carry case to make sure it doesn't get damaged.

But all in all it's a great little tablet/laptop for the price point.

I would recommend this to others as a nice little tool.

5.0 out of 5 stars iPad Killer!, December 10, 2013
This review is from: ASUS Transformer T100T Notebook PC (Personal Computers)
This is an outstanding tablet with fully functional desktop operating system, memory expansion slot and USB 3.0 port that surpasses Apple's iPad. To top it off, you recharge this tablet's battery with micro USB cable that you can find most anywhere.

Watch out Apple! Finally Intel and Microsoft has come up with a very good product combination to respond to iPad craze (Intel Atom BayTrail CPU + Windows 8.1 operating system). I own 2 iPads and I don't even look back.

This is a fantastic tablet with fully functional desktop operating system (Win8.1) that you can run most any desktop software and you're not limited to bunch of watered down "apps" found on ipads.

The included docking keyboard with trackpad detaches easily and is useful when you want to get some serious work done like typing a term paper, or multiple pages of emails. All for this with the state of the art Intel Atom BayTrail CPU and Microsoft Office for around $300 is an amazing value. We're talking about a fully functional, real computer stuffed in a tablet here. Even if it didn't include MS-Office or docking keyboard, it's still better than iPad Air.

I bought this tablet from a local store (BB) on sale at $299 and it includes activation CD-Key license for Microsoft Office Student 2013.

Recently released Intel Atom (Bay Trail 3740) CPU with built in GPU makes HUGE performance improvements over previous generations and exceeds Apple's A7 chip performance*.

I'm able to run full version of Internet Explorer with Add Block Plus (ABP) that allows me to view my favorite websites the same as if on a fully functional desktop computer all meanwhile blocking advertisements and popups. I can install all sorts of browser extensions for internet explorer and Google Chrome browser. Good luck doing that with an iPad. The apps such as web browsers on iPad are not designed to support browser extensions, so in the end you get watered down version of the software on iPad.

I can seamlessly share files between my Laptop and this tablet PC using Microsoft's Skydrive online storage and I can browse through and store files on this tablet PC using a real file manager and share them between different apps. Good luck doing that using an iPad.

This tablet has built in Intel WiDi technology (Wireless Display). Last night I was able to connect to my HD TV without any wires, and used my TV as a secondary computer monitor at FULL HD resolution while watching YouTube, etc.

In summary; You get full performance of a laptop in a tablet computer that is superior to any iPad on the market today. Intel and Microsoft has been late to the game, but with Atom BayTrail CPU and Windows 8.1 WinTEL have finally surpassed Apple's iPAD.

* When Quad cores are utilized: Benchmark results for both processors have similar performance, but benchmark for Intel ATOM is running on a fully functional desktop operating system while benchmarks for A7 are measured while running on a limited function tablet operating system(iOS 7).

4.0 out of 5 stars Great improvement over last year's Atom, November 5, 2013
This review is from: ASUS Transformer T100T Notebook PC (Personal Computers)
I bought mine from Office Depot. Never shopped there, but it was the only store carrying it. Other stores were projected to have it by the end of November, so I am grateful.

Pros
* Good size for using Windows 8
* Baytrail processor upgrade is very noticeable
* Much faster than previous atom processors (the tablets were basically unusable with the slow processor)
* No issues on installing programs
* Programs run fine
* Windows 8.1 is better than windows 8
* Keyboard included
* Unbeatable price for what is included
* Asus included cloud storage
* Function key to turn off trackpad
* Beautiful screen and display
* Snap feature
* Could not find a good video editor in the store, so I downloaded Nero and Windows Movie Maker which both run fine on this device; now we are in business!

Cons
* Device was dead out of the box, so I had to plug it in to set it up
* Slow charge time (possibly because of micro-usb)
* Short usb cable (this was inconvenient while doing the setup)
* Keys on keyboard is small, but I am getting used to typing on it
* Only 32 bit where I am used to 64 bit
* My device has issues
> When I restart the computer after updates, it does not automatically restart; so I wait a few seconds and then try to manually power it on, but it will not power on; this happened twice; the first time it was in the case, so I took it out of the case and it powered on; the second time it was in the dock and uplugged, so I plugged it up and it powered on
> The function key to turn off/on the trackpad is faulty; I hit it to originally turn it on, but I could not get it to turn off (BTW, there is a turn off trackpad feature built into the 8.1 settings, but it isnt available on this device); after try several things, including undocking and redocking the keyboard, I gave up on it; suddenly the trackpad turned off, but now I can't turn it back on
> These issues may just be my device, so I am returning it to see if this is the case
Overall:
There is a lot to like about this device. For the price, some of the cons can be overlooked. I see this to be a really promising device. I used the Surface 2 (RT) for a couple of weeks as well. That is also a good device and this one is just as good (possibly better) for a much cheaper price. Plus this runs my programs. I haven't thrown anything major at it (like photoshop) but I am really not planning to use it that way. The good thing about the RT is that I did not have any of the issues that I have with this one. But, we will see if it is just the device or not. I will update this review at that point.

5.0 out of 5 stars You can spend more and get less, but you can't spend less and get anywhere near to the performance/quality of the T100TA., February 10, 2014
This review is from: ASUS Transformer T100T Notebook PC (Personal Computers)
This is a slick piece of kit! I do wish I could have found a 64GB version, but they are going for $100+ more than the 32GB, which makes it just not worth it. The unit does have a miniSD slot, so I can extend my storage that way.

Let's start with the trick bit, the tablet dock. Basically, the T100TA is a Windows 8.1 Tablet PC, but it comes with a keyboard dock. This isn't a flimsy/floppy dock either, it's quite solid and the docking mechanism feels fairly robust. The tablet locks into place and can only be removed by pressing a release button, which takes a little bit of effort to depress. When docked, it's basically a small netbook, although I do wish the screen would tilt back about 5-10 degrees more. However, when in the full back position, the weight difference between the tablet part and the keyboard is apparent, and it gets a bit top heavy. Unlike some more expensive units, there are no hard disks or batteries in the dock, just a keyboard and a single USB 3.0 port.

Performance wise, the little Quad-core Baytrail Atom processor is really surprising me. True, it's no power hungry power house, but it sips juice from the battery while turning out an enjoyable web browsing, media consuming experience. Heck, it plays Tiny Death Star just fine, and with the addition of Bluestacks it's running Android games as well.

The screen: OMG how is this the same size/resolution as my old Samsung G-tablet? This is amazingly bright, really sharp, and the viewing angles are excellent. No complaints here, although it is reflective so full light viewing will suffer.

Sound: At reasonable volumes the speakers sound surprisingly big, and by that I mean they sound like a lot better speakers than two tiny piezo electric flat waffers. At higher volumes, yeah, it's crackly, but for reasonable volumes it's really good.

Keyboard: Egads it's small! Only a 10.1" screen, so the keyboard is a bit tiny. Key feel is solid, though, and once you get used to the smaller form factor it's quite usable. The touchpad is meh, nothing particularly wrong with it, it's just not deep enough. I've pretty much reverted to using the touchscreen at all times anyway.

Windows 8.1: Ah. This. The 1000lb Gorilla in the room. I'm... reasonable impressed. I can see what Microsoft was TRYING to do, and honestly the 'Metro' UI works pretty darn slick on a touch screen environment. It's less clunky than I expected with a mouse, but it's not optimal. I'm not a fan of how it just vomits anything and everything installed into a grid of tiny icons, as the program density increases it gets hard to find what your looking for at times. Especially if it's something you don't use a lot. Also, the 'charm menus' need to die a horrible screaming electric death. Whomever thought that hiding menus off the screen with no indication they are there, really wasn't approaching this from a usability standpoint. At the least a little 'Hey, click here!' tutorial would have been nice, instead of just throwing you at it. There was a 'hint' window that kept opening, and it took a google search to figure out where the hidden touch point was to turn it off (top left). That said, Windows 8.1 itself is a decent enough OS, it's snappy, loads quick, and I do like the search feature. Want to uninstall a program? Open search and type, 'Uninstall', then click 'Uninstall program'. Of course, that's only because it's so much harder to get to the darned thing via menus in Windows 8, so maybe that's more of a wash.

Best way to describe Windows 8? Gimmicky interface on top of a solid OS. Which is sad, because under the hood it is stable, lightweight on system resources, and quick.

Final verdict? I like this little thing! For under 350.00 for the 32GB, it's hard to beat. You can spend more and get less, but you can't spend less and get anywhere near to the performance/quality of the T100TA.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful new little ASUS laptop/notebook/touch-screen gem!, December 1, 2013
Judge Marc Mogil "Marc Mogil, J.D." (Sunny Isles Beach, FL, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ASUS Transformer T100T Notebook PC (Personal Computers)
This is my first review of any computer product I've ever owned. I was looking for a reliable tiny laptop, ultra-light and ultra-small screen, for primarily writing while on the road. This little ASUS, is excellent! Great touch-screen, detachable tablet, decent keyboard, WIFI, Microsoft Windows 8.1 and Office included (!), many APPS and the ability to download many more, and great maneuverability within the system. It charges quickly, and the batter lasts from 11-15 hours based upon how much graphics you use this for. Screen visibility is excellent, and flash drives can be used here, along with many other ports. A great buy for anyone who wants the quality and workability of an i-5 or 7 computer, at a THIRD the price. ASUS does it again!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Hybrid PC for the Price, November 12, 2013
This review is from: ASUS Transformer T100T Notebook PC (Personal Computers)
This tablet PC is great for the price. Using an intel based CPU instead of the RT model makes this tablet capable of running and software that would work on regular desktop PC. We recently bought these to replace the Asus Vivotab RT because of the all problems involved with that model.

I hated windows 8 on a desktop but the touch interface makes it a lot more streamlined. It doesn't have any lag switching between screens or applications at all. The battery is great. I had a video stream going for about 4 hours and it only used about 50% of the battery life. Having Home/Student MS Office included is a bonus as well.

Only cons I have about this device is the lack of decent app support from Microsoft. This is easily avoided by using desktop apps as needed. Also, the touchpad is hit or miss with it's accuracy when using it. I found myself reaching to use the touch screen more often than not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good tablet/netbook hybrid, January 11, 2014
This review is from: ASUS Transformer T100T Notebook PC (Personal Computers)
The T100TA-B1-GR is a good device that both fulfills the needs of a tablet user and someone who wants to have more of the laptop experience. For the features you get with it, the price point can't be beat. There are however a few things that keep it from being absolutely perfect.

Asus has installed the new Intel Atom Bay Trail Processor, which is a quad core and is 64 bit.
The performance it gives nearly matches up to my full size, two year old Sony Vaio laptop. I say nearly because there are times when the tablet lags on the beginning of video playback in the metro apps. Desktop apps to not seem to be showing all that much difference.

Windows 8.1 has been installed on the device and is a another great selling point. You'd be hard pressed to find other tablets at this price that will offer the full Windows experience. In fact, Microsoft's own Surface 2 which is close in price to this only has Windows RT. The reason you may want full Windows vs RT version is for the use of x86 apps. In other words you can install regular Windows programs with 8.1. RT restricts you to apps made for metro. The installed version of Windows 8.1 is 32 bit though and does not take advantage of the 64 bit processor (although with just 2 GB of RAM installed 64 bit Windows is not needed).

Microsoft Office 2013 Student edition is pre-installed and a license key is included for using the product. This version of Office comes with Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Pretty good deal to have these bundled but if you don't like it LibreOffice and OpenOffice are free alternatives.

The screen can be plenty bright and vibrant if turned up to full and adaptive brightness is disabled. When you do it is almost as vibrant as a Surface tablet but not quite. You would also have the side effect of cutting the battery life drastically (which rates at 11 hrs). The resolution at 1366 x 768 is not full HD and the screen is basically a 720p one. 720p is still HD, just not as good as 1080p...truth be told though most users looking at the 10.1 screen would not be able to tell much difference between the two formats if side by side. You will need a much bigger screen to really tell the difference of the two formats. For the price, the screen resolution is fine for the screen size. The touch responsiveness is quick and smooth and I have noticed no lag. The glass is Gorilla Glass 3 so it should hold up well to resist scratching. You may still want a screen protector but I personally did not use one.

For expansion ports you get 1 mini hdmi port (for sending the signal to a bigger screen), a micro usb port for charging (charging cable and plug included), one USB 3.0 port (it is located on the keyboard dock), and a microSD slot for more storage. The keyboard dock is a nice addition to the package as competitors force you to buy a keyboard separately. The tablet is docked with two guide slots and the actual port. It goes in nice and easy and to remove press the button and pull (that part is the tougher part but not terribly so). Another great thing about the dock is that the keys are nice and responsive, although the layout is chiclet style. People with bigger hands my have some trouble adjusting. The touch-pad is decent but due to the gesture features (which can be adjusted) and the small size you can accidentally do the wrong thing while simply trying to move the pointer. The T100 also supports Bluetooth though so you may want to use a Bluetooth mouse or USB mouse instead.

One less impressive stat of the device comes in the hard drive capacity of 32 GB. You only have about 12.6 remaining on the drive with all that is pre-installed (recovery partition takes around 14 GB). With the above mentioned microSD slot you can expand to 64 GB more space (which I recommend if this will be your primary system). I would at least get a 32 GB card if you can if not the 64 GB. You are going to need a lot space to install your programs and store files. I don't recommend putting them on the internal HD if you can help it. Ultimately there is a 64 GB version of this tablet you may want to consider but it is a bit pricier.

Another less than great thing is the apparently build quality of the tablet casing itself (the dock seems pretty solid though). The tablet casing is plastic and it feels like if you pressed too hard you could crack it. It otherwise doesn't feel like it's going to fall apart but since it feels so light in my hands I feel as if I need to be really careful with it.

In conclusion I really like this Tablet, but since it's not perfect I'd give it 4.5 (I rounded up to 5 since I couldn't). If you get this you'll be happy as long as you realize that the plastic construction of the tablet is not going to make it extremely durable and that you're going to need a micro SD card for more space. For the price you can't beat the value.

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive tablet that will likely fit the bill for light to moderate PC users., December 10, 2013
This review is from: ASUS Transformer T100T Notebook PC (Personal Computers)
I bought mine at Best Buy for $299 USD before tax. Worked right out of the box. Comes with very little documentation so expect a little bit of a learning curve if you are not familiar with a Windows 8 touchscreen. After powering on I had 14GB of free storage available. With the detachable keyboard with a USB port and a microUSB port, one could easily attach an external hard drive or flash drive for additional storage. You may also use ASUS's cloud storage which is free for one year. All factory installed applications launched and ran with very quick speeds. Browsing was fluid and text was easily readable. Playing YouTube videos in 1080p was flawless and looked very sharp and crisp. Sound is decent in quiet areas but lacks depth. Keyboard is useable but trackpad feels kinda "cheap." Touchscreen is very accurate and did not require much precision when selecting items and opening and closing applications. Case feels firm and when paired with the keyboard provides a sense of screen protection and something firm to hold onto.

PRO: Inexpensive, responsive touchscreen, surprisingly fast and responsive, sharp and crisp screen, fast boot-up time.
CON: Keyboard feels cramped for heavy useage, USB cord is very short ~3 feet, no indicator on charging cord to indicate which way it plugs into tablet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Low-price "real" Windows Tablet: Worth every penny., December 9, 2013
James Osterhage (Villa Hills, KY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ASUS Transformer T100T Notebook PC (Personal Computers)
This is an outstanding tablet that's worth any price under $400 (for the 32GB SSD, $450 for the 64GB SSD). This is the second Transformer-series tablet I've owned (I bought a TF300T Android tablet last Christmas that was subsequently stepped on by my toddler) and it exceeds the high expectations I'd built from the first one. The touch screen is more responsive and accurate than the previous, the case feels more solid and resilient, and the included keyboard base-station makes this useful enough to be worth buying. The only downsides I've seen so far:

o The initial charge takes forever. I actually thought the battery might have been defective at first because it showed 0% charge after being plugged in for almost an hour.

o The physical layout of the keys is a little weird to me. Up until this system I've always gone for laptops that are at least 15" because I have fairly big hands and sausage fingers, so the mini-keyboards are a little odd to me. I'm slowly getting used to it. It's not so much a downside as it is a minor inconvenience until I get used to it.

o The wireless had a bunch of really bizarre issues until I updated the BIOS, the drivers, and Windows.

o I can't get it to run Civilization 5. I went out of my way to buy a tablet with an x86 processor and full Windows 8.1 (not RT) specifically so that, in addition to having a mini-mobile work platform, I could play some of my favorite games on it. Fortunately, it looks like it's a problem with DirectX 11, not the tablet.

Bottom line: If you want a low-price tablet with "real" Windows you're not going to find much better than this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Win 8 tablet for the money, February 18, 2014
This review is from: ASUS Transformer T100T Notebook PC (Personal Computers)
I've had this tablet for over a month now and I don't think I've ever been so pleased with an electronics purchase. The perfornance is great and the battery life is phenomenal. It is necessary to run asus live update and then windows update, though.

The fact that the dock is included is at this price is unbelievable. There is simply no tablet out there that comes close to the price\performnce ratio you get out of this. It also includes full windows and MS Office Home\Student.

The display is lower rez than I'd like though (720P). You can improve display quality, though, by running the windows color calibration and reducing the gamma setting.

ASUS Transformer T100T Notebook PC