5.0 out of 5 stars Portable, Robust, & A Power House
Published on March 13, 2011 by spikenick

Please note that this is the notebook version, it not the laptop like the title that Amazon put on. There is not CD/DVD drive come with it. If you order today, Memorial day, the price is $649.00. Couple days ago, it was $699.00.

Published on May 30, 2011 by Phi Doan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Portable, Robust, & A Power House, March 13, 2011
This review is from: ASUS U31JG-XA1 13.3-Inch Laptop (Black) (Personal Computers)
Have only had this laptop for a week but it is awesome. Love the ability to switch between NVidia performance GPU when I have it plugged in and then be able to switch to the 2D Intel mode on battery. The second day I had this laptop I used it for a full 10hours for classes and homework before needing to charge it, and it was still only at 15%. I loved being able to the first weekend throw it into performance mode and play games in high quality graphics mode.

I came from previously owning a 15.6" HP dv6700z laptop. This is a huge improvement at a mid-line price. I love the way the LED screen just pops color at my compared to the old screen. I am now able to go to classes and use my laptop without hunting for plugs and the size is perfect for a mobile laptop that still feels big enough that you aren't leaning in to look at the screen.

I find that the dual core i3 with hyperthreading is perfect even when it is under-clocked on the battery mode.

No gripes yet but will update as my experience with the product grows.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good value, April 21, 2011
Overall, this is a very good value for the price you pay and what you get. Stat wise the power from the i3 CPU and the nvidia 415M gives you more than enough for general email use, video viewing, gaming, etc. which is what I use this laptop for. It runs Steam with no problems, it also runs league of legends at 60fps with no problems (very smooth).

the stated battery life is of course an exaggeration. there is no way you have 10hours of actual usage. you can count on anywhere from 3-4hrs to 4-5hrs, depending on what you are doing at the time. there are 4 power settings on the laptop, high performance, entertainment, quiet office, and battery saving. these settings have been pre-configured to limit the CPU's max and min processing power, screen brightness, etc. I only use high performance and quiet office. the battery saving mode requires a soft reboot of the systems (almost like hibernation) to kick in, and once in battery saving mode, the laptop will turn its screen off every 2-3 mins if you don't move the cursor (even during video viewing). So battery saving becomes more of a nuisance than anything else.

the biggest downside to me personally would have to be its AC adapter. this thing is bigger than my dell ac adapter, and the cords are too long and too thick and the band they give you is not good enough for you to pack the cable and adapter together effectively. but this is more of a pet peeve than anything else, might not bother other people.

*side note, it says it has a backlit keyboard, as far as I know, it DOES NOT have a backlit keyboard

4.0 out of 5 stars Powerful, fast and inexpensive laptop, May 10, 2011
I needed a new laptop and my husband did a tremendous amount of research before we settled on this ASUS. We were looking to balance speed, weight and price. This one is perfect. It is lightning fast, the keyboard is very comfortable, and I can easily tote it anywhere I need to. It does not have an internal drive, which suits me fine since I usually only use the CD/DVD drive a few times a year. And the drive would have added a lot of unneccessary weight. We purchased an external DVD drive that plugs in easily to the USB port. This is our second ASUS computer (our teenage son has a refurbished one at college) and we are very pleased with the quality for the price. Outstanding laptop!

4.0 out of 5 stars allaround notebook, June 26, 2011
I have this laptop for only 4 days, after 3 month of reading alot of reviews. my favorite computer was the hp-dm1 and I still recommend it to everyone that want small computer with good performance and also good features. I decided to go for this one because I couldn't buy the hp from there website and from amazon I preferred to add like 120$ to get this asus u31jg with better cpu and good graphic card.
I already explored it in 4 day, to give you this review.
this is my first laptop so I cant compare this to others.
this is a notebook with 13.3 inch screen, just the right size for a portable notebook and not too small.
I must start with the built quality:
my notebook as a defect in the frame of the screen, the frame in the lower screen area is disconnected from the screen, and that could cause some problems in the future, in overall the built quality is not so good and i give it a score of 5/10.

preformance:
this is fast laptop with the fastest i3 cpu of intel. also the laptop come with nvidia 415m GPU and the optimus technology that works very well most of the time.It has hdmi port and I was surprised to see that it run 1080p very smoothly and also runs smoothly civilization 5 on 1080p with medium settings.
score: 9/10

battery:
great battery with alot of time using without need of charging. for regular use of internet and stuff this battery lasts about 5-6 hours in average. with gaming and so this will lasts like 3 hours or more.
the downside is the ac adapter that is very big and very heavy, which reduce the benefit of this light laptop.
score: 9/10

keyboard and touchpad:
in overall, this is a good keyboard with a little bit flex and some minor problems.
the touchpad is worse than the keyboard. the sensitivity is fair and the buttons are horrible. also the features of the touchpad are not so useful and not working very well. I recommend you to buy mouse, and specificly the logitech anywhere mx.
score: 6/10

design:
this laptop is well desgined although some problems I had with it(like magnet of dust and fingerprints).
score: 7/10

screen:
average glossy screen and nothing more(also some problems that I mentioned above).
score:7/10

some more issues:
-speakers are just as you except from a laptop (but no so bad...)
-alot of crap programs installed on this computer, make sure you dlelete most of them to get better performance
-it has realy easy access to replace the memory cards or HHD

in overall the asus u31jg-xa1 has good price (I bought it for 650$) so i will recommend it for midrange users thats don't want to spend more than 700$ (make sure you check the A1 model that has 2 years warranty with the same specifications and similar price...)

total score: 7/10 (i gave 4 stars because of the good price/value)

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice laptop for light work, June 5, 2011
So far great, I've been using it for three weeks. Small and light weight, just what I need as a student, works very well with office 2010 and internet. The battery is another useful thing, it may last the 10 hour it says if you use the Super Hybrid Engine, but you will need to disable as much as you can (specially wi-fi), anyway, it can last for about 6 or 7 hours just with SHE. It's totally quiet and the speakers are pretty good. The design is pretty cool and the keyboard is very comfortable. I haven't tried any game yet or any other graphical program but i don't really expect too much, after all, it has a core i3. The Nvidia Geforce GT415M sounds strong but as i said, i haven't test it.

Totally recommend it for home or office work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Asus 1 week usage review, May 2, 2011
This laptop is so amazing. It loads webpages, videos, and other multimedia instantaneously. It's ultra thin, light, and packs ridicules 8 hour long battery (closer to 6 hours for normal use,3-4 for heavy use). I constantly multi-task with it, having music playing, 8 webpages, and word documents and pdfs open and they run smoothly and quietly. The laptop heats up very little. I've gotten compliments from practically everyone who has seen it, and my friend has fallen in love with it even though he hasn't even used it. It feels sturdy yet ergonomic and light. The only criticism I can think of his the keyboard flexing a little in the middle, the surfaces being a finger print magnet, and the load of bloatware. These are extremely negligible issues though as the keyboard doesn't feel at all fragile despite this. And when you wipe down the surfaces carefully, it looks absolutely amazing. If you are a college student looking for a quick, useful laptop that you don't have to lug a charger around with, and one that can serve moderate entertainment purposes, you will not be disappointed. I haven't tested any heavy ended video games on this, but I have no doubt it can handle some pretty demanding gaming usage. That's pretty good for a computer that was never designed for such a purpose. I've gotten something way more valuable than I could have asked for and will update if any issues come up.

4.0 out of 5 stars Light and powerful, June 15, 2011
This ASUS laptop is quite light for the performance that offers. I looked up some similar laptops and can't found one light and gaming powerful like this. In general a good choice.

Pros:

Light (Really for me)
Good Nvidia quality for actual games(better than U36)
Not so hot. Only hot when I play a game.
Two operative system options (win7 and Asus ExpressGate(Linux like netbook fast boot. Nice for basic use))
Beautyfull cover, elegant
Soft keys
Good software included.
Battery life >5 hours in normal use and >8 hours in very light use (office works with a little use of wireless)

Cons:
Speakers dont feel the bass and have low volume. but no distorsion.
No DVD drive
Big AC Adapter
The included software are a bit heavy for the boot in windows7, but the software quality is good.
The wireless switch are by software not phisical (really a feature but does not matter for me)

Conclusion: A light laptop and powerfull, very inexpensive choice for gamers and students. Good battery life. No dvd is a sacrifice vs the light weight.

Recomended.

Update1:
After using about 1 month, the batery does not charge. I dont know why, but i will take it to my nearest ASUS warranty service. I`ll comment about the answer and the posible solution.

Update2:
I'd leave the laptop in the tecnical service in my country. The revision takes 1 or 2 weeks, i'll wait for it, and then i publish the response.

Update3:
After about 1 month, the laptop was delivered to me from the technician service. The problem was coused by the adapter, it sounds like a hard disk. The adapter voltage changes, was damaged the mainboard doing that the battery cant charge until the charge fall to zero. Then ASUS send a new mainboard replacement and the batery, and the local service in colombia change the adapter by another new. I personaly test the parts and work fine. Good ASUS support, my laptop is new again and 100% functional, no repaired parts, only brand new parts replaced by ASUS, like a new. ASUS global Warranty also works in Colombia.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Spot!, May 20, 2011
I just got the laptop today from Amazon.
My first thought was that "it's larger then i thought it would be.

The Good:
I'm loving the chicklet keyboard, its nice and smooth.
The Core I3 2.5 CPU is nice and snappy and can handle most any thing you throw at it.
The 4 GB DDR3 ram is enough most people and is easy to expand to 8 GB
the screan hit the sweet spot, not too small and not too big.
The power saving button feature is cool.
One SUPER good feature is that this laptopis THIN! less then 1 inch thing!!!
320 GB of HDD is more then enough
Battery life is excellent, i got it up to 6.5 hours
Sweet videocard for the price, this GF GT415M will play games at ow res. (hey, atleast you can play some)

The Bad:
I'm not liking the track pad it seems to have horizontal lines forcing your finger to go left/right and it kind of a pain to go up/down.

the bezel around the screen is a finger print magnet(good thing the laptop comes with a cleaning cloth)
The charger is huge!!!

I returned my DELL inpiron 14R beacuse is was too big and heavy.
This pc just blows the dell out of thi earth!

If you have the cash, BUY this laptop!

I'm giving it 4 out 5 stars (for the touch pad)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but could be better design and there is room for improvement., May 30, 2011

The notebook is light and look pretty. Much better looking than the big brother (ASUS U30JC-XA2 13.3-Inch Laptop (Silver). The trade off is it has only i3 core and 320 GB HDD. I found this configuration is far then good enough to do the day job.

The battery life is OK, despites the advetisement of 9 hours of battery session. Users have to do few trick to extend the battery hour like dim the brightness, set CPU to 50% of power horse. The battery last 4-6 hours with the normal use, and last 6-8 hourse if set to low consumming mode. I just feel that Amazon and Asus trick people by advertise 9 hours battery long.

This netbook is finger print magnet. It's easy to spot the finger prints all over the topcover of the screen. And boy, it does not look pretty. The resolution is to use the cloth to clean the netbook daily if you care about the apperience.

The netbook has auto logon feature, which actually use the webcam to do image comparision of face of the user and the pre-screenshot of a particular user. This only work correctly 1 out of 10 times logins. I have to select manual login option and enter the password. This is big disappointed feature. ASUS should have finger print scan feature for convenient login. The webcam login feature is just a marking toy idea to attract the buyer. It does not work!

The misplace of indicators of caplock, HDD use, ect. They put the blinking indicators underneath of the mouse pad. So if you want to know if the caplock is on or not, you have to move your hand out of mouse pad area to see the lights. This is such a bad design, since most of the time, the eyes angle stare at the creen and bottom screen.

The adaptor is bulky and heavy. should they make it smaller and more portable? since the idea of light and thin laptop should cover all the components of the laptop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesomw, March 20, 2011
Ive had this computer for about a week now and so far it has been great! The Optimus graphics work great-I play L4D2 with all the settings turned all the way up and everything runs smooth. I just use it for everyday stuff; web surfing, doing homework, occasional gaming and will eventually be dual installing Linux. Anyways its a great computer for the price. Screen isnt too glossy, viewing angles are great (Some other ASUS computers have this problem Ive heard), the mouse bar button thingy is easy to press, not hard at all, the wireless card picks up about 5-10 more networks than my eee pc did. I havent been able to get 10 hours of battery out of it yet, but I usually keep the screen brighter and download things in the background. If you turn the cpu down to 50%, dim the display, and were only say taking notes in class then I could see getting a solid 7 hours or more. Unfortunately most of my classes are boring so I rarely just take notes! Oh also the speakers are pretty good, plenty loud enough for listening to music in a 2 bedroom apartment or watching the Office while someone else is doing the dishes. One note, the HD is listed at 320 but the main partitions that come pre made on the comp are 202 and 74 which means that ASUS is taking up around 40 gigs for their stupid fastboot linux junk os. I highly doubt most people would use the fastboot OS and I plan on replacing it with something worth it like Mint or Ubuntu.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›