5.0 out of 5 stars Great Laptop
Bought this from another retailer with the i5 processor, which was more than enough speed. I hadn't had any slowdowns even before I upgraded certain items. Windows 8 takes a bit to get used to but so far I like it. I'm getting more used to the app OS's like Android so the mixture in Windows 8 is becoming more convenient.
I still like the 15" size over the smaller...
Published 16 months ago by Masslfe

2.0 out of 5 stars Keyboard issues = big problem
Published 14 months ago by EmElle

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Laptop, March 9, 2013
Masslfe (Falls Church, VA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ASUS Ultrabook S500CA-DS51T 15.6-Inch Touchscreen Laptop ( Black ) (Personal Computers)
I still like the 15" size over the smaller sizes so this was the way to go for me. I also find it convenient to have a keypad on the laptop since it cuts some inefficiency when doing a lot of accounting work. I also felt that if I were to get a new laptop with Win 8 I'd have to go touchscreen and that, I feel, has been a great advantage - makes surfing the web and other tasks much quicker than using a mouse.
I'm used to an ASUS UL50VT so the screen was no drop off and thus I was still used to the 1366x768 resolution, some may find it lacking but for the price, you've gotta expect some shortcomings - I'm tired of seeing people posting how the screen is terrible when you're only trying to spend $500-700 on the thing.
I'm not sure about the other touchscreen laptops (from my research many of the others are difficult to upgrade in the ultrabook sizing) but it's easy to take off the bottom cover to add RAM (I added aCorsair Vengeance 8GB (1x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Laptop Memory (CMSX8GX3M1A1600C10) bought off Amazon for $40 - NOTE: many stats say you can only add another 4 GB but I've found others using the S400CA were able to upgrade up to 12 GB instead). This allowed me to push(through the BIOS) dedicated graphics RAM to 512 MB. I also replaced the drive with a SAMSUNG 830 Series 2.5-Inch 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-7PC256B/WW. The hard part was reinstalling an upgraded windows (Windows 8 core which this comes with lacks support for media center) which required putting the Win 8 Pro iso on a jump drive (adding an ei.cfg file stating
[Channel]
Volume
[VL]
to the sources folder) and turning off secure boot in the BIOS. Make sure to also download all the drivers on the ASUS website. The only thing requiring a specific install order is the IRST and Express Cache installation.
The touchpad can be a bit annoying sometimes but once I get used to the click points I'm sure it'll be fine.
I also wanted to add bluetooth since mine didn't come with the wireless so I added the Intel Network 6235AN.HMWWB Centrino WiFi Card Advanced-N 6235 Dual Band Bluetooth Retail for $22 which worked out perfectly. It would've been nice if I didn't have to replace some of these things but at the price I got my S500CA for, it was well worth the additional hassle. If you can find a better 15" touchscreen laptop with the ASUS warranty for these prices please let me know. Also with ASUS brand quality. I don't think there are any new ones at this price (refurbs may come close).
I believe the mSATA drive could be upgradeable if I took off the anchor removing the drive but I didn't want to fully void the warranty (the drive is located to the right of the black plastic covering under the MB ribbon).
Finally, I'm a bit old school so the only game I really play regularly is CS:Source and this laptop was good enough to run it at 60 frames/sec on mid level settings, even better than my UL50VT.
Overall it's a great laptop with quality build and I'd recommend it for anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so Perfect!, April 1, 2013
Overall:
Fast, responsive, lightweight, solid.

Screen:
720p is off-putting after being used to 1080p or better. I overlook it because I knew those were the specs when I bought it.

The touchscreen aspect is solid, no lags, very responsive.

HDD:
Before I replaced the hard drive, I thought it was really fast. The use of the 24GB mSATA is key here. I don't think the ultrabook would be any use without it.

HDD upgrade to SSD:
And I thought the hybrid aspect was fast, this baby is blazing. 5 seconds or less to get this baby running, 5 seconds or less to shut down. I loaded Win 8 without all the bloatware, it's amazing. Very easy, the BIOS seems to have kept my Win8 license key, so the install of the OS was easy with a USB DVD drive.

6GB RAM:
Plenty of memory for what I need it for: browsers, word processing, pic/vid viewing, skype, eReader, etc. I might upgrade eventually, but so far so good. Windows OS handles RAM a little differently since VISTA. More free RAM isn't necessarily a good thing anymore. Win8 handles everything very efficiently.

WIFI:
Just had to update the driver and most problems go away. I still ordered the Intel Centrino Dual-band N wifi card because I have randomly lost wifi connection a couple of times. Not a big deal for me though.

Bluetooth:
Works as expected. My mouse connected perfectly. EDIT: at first it did but it's having trouble staying connected. I'm working on figuring out if it's the mouse, the OS, or the hardware. will update hopefully

Touchpad:
Takes a while to get used to, but once you "get it" you're good. There are two types of clicking, soft-click, which is like a traditional pad, and hard-click, where you physically depress and release the touchpad.

Battery:
I get about 3.5 hours with this baby full charged. Not bad for me, but I also haven't done an official test with it yet. I think I can get 4 hours of use if I wanted though. My power settings for battery-only are optimized to not sacrifice processing power, but other things like brightness and sleep-logic.

Other:
HDMI port works flawlessly, tried it out on my 50" PLasma for Game of Throne season premiere. 3 USB ports are plenty these days. I haven't tried out the LAN and SD card inputs yet. Will update when I have made any other upgrades.

Disclaimer:
IF you plan on buying this device, and don't swap out any of the parts, be sure to UPDATE YOUR DRIVERS ([...]. Additionally, ASUS has some bloatware that does more harm-than-good, I believe the power-something utility is the worst. Just uninstall it and then your device is good to go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Affordable ultrabook-like traits with a 15.6" size screen, March 27, 2013
First, I didn't get this laptop at Amazon, but from another retailer (for $600).

The reason why I chose this laptop is because it's portable (it meets intel's requirement for ultrabook specification) and meet all of my specification as a school's laptop. I debated for a long time between a touchscreen laptop (portable) versus a laptop that has superior processing capability with a good video card (a dinosaur). However, I realized that I wanted something to be able to take to a café or a library and be able to do my homework and other work.

So from this point on, I'm just going to write my review based on what information that I find useful in the buying process.

LOOKS
Smooth edges all around, aluminum all around with the exception of the bottom panel, which is a smooth-rubberized finished. Screen is glossy and contained mostly glass, so it is a good idea to invest in a typical clear screen protector. There's none at the moment, but you can find by a third-party seller on ebay.

OPERATING SYSTEM
Get retroUI or startdock version to bring the "start" button back

HARDWARE
This laptop has a 4GB built in ram with one additional ram slot. This model comes with 6GB so there's an additional 2GB stick in the slot. Speakers are on the bottom (they sounds great by the way! I would say it's louder and clearer than the typical speakers and "beats" brand on HP's envy line). SD slot is there but your card will stick out like a sore thumb.

TOUCHSCREEN/TOUCHPAD
Navigating on the touchscreen is smooth and doesn't produce that much lag when you're zooming in or out. The response is quick and accurate. The touchpad too, is responsive. The thing I like about the touchpad is that it is not raised above or below the hand-rest area (it's also a bigger than most touchpads). If you press down firmly in the center, it'll do a right-click.

UPGRADES
I'm waiting for my SSD to come in next week so I can have it run all SSD instead of the slower 500GB HDD. There's a lot of guides out there explaining how to upgrade if you are interested. However, since I don't have a windows 8 installer cd (yeah I know fresh install is better), I usually use Acronis to clone my SSD (I did this with my other two laptops and it works fine after minor adjustment post-cloning).

PROBLEMS ENCOUNTERED
I had an issue with my wifi not working after updating windows, installing avg and updating asus update utility. I couldn't figure which of the three caused the problem in the first place so I tried doing a system restore. Of course, that didn't work, so I was forced to do a factor reset since the laptop was pretty new anyway. After updating windows update again, I didn't install avg, but rather avast, and I haven't update the asus update utility yet. So far I don't have any wifi issue and I've backed up all of my files, just in case.

Check out my other images of this laptop, it might be helpful!

UPDATE 4.09.13
Just installed a Samsung 840 series 250GB SSD (7mm) this afternoon and everything is running fast, very fast. Boot and shut-down time is significantly reduced. I wanted to get the crucial m4 version but I couldn't find the "7mm" version on sale so I had to go with the Samsung.

No problem(s) at the moment.

UPDATE 3.30.13
I had some issues with smart gesture not working. It would automatically disappear after I resume and reappear after I restart the laptop. It already happened twice, so I went and uninstalled the old driver and updated it with a new one from ASUS website. So far it's working fine and I noticed improvement in the touch response Ex. two finger touch (to bring up menu) is quick and more accurate compared to the older driver.

The keyboard protector in my pictures can be purchased by a third party if you search for keyboard for ASUS K55A-DH71.

4.0 out of 5 stars Powerful Specs in a Gorgeous and Affordable Package., April 6, 2013
Pros
+ Bang for your buck--you get a fairly powerful machine with great features for not lot of money.
+ Gorgeous design--this thing is beautiful to look at on or off (all my friends want one).
+ Fast--performs well and boots up very quickly; the instant-on feature is awesome.
+ Portable--while large, this thing is very light. The power brick is compact, too.
+ Glass screen is not only very pretty, but makes the touch-interface a joy to use.

Nitpicks
- Let's all agree that Windows 8 is a tragedy.
- Mechanical HDD--while they're cheap and you're given a lot of hdd space, they're fragile and always precarious in notebooks.
- Low resolution screen--hey, they had to cut back somewhere to make this so affordable, but nothing I'm not used to (coming from a Asus UL50VT, which has the same resolution). Still, the colors are vibrant.
- Touchpad mouse is disobedient. It works, but sometimes it's not very responsive--especially the smart gestures.
- Subpar keyboard--it's functional, but there's flex and the travel distance is too shallow.
- Stretches the boundary on "ultrabook."
- Shameful battery life.

Let's be clear, for the amount you're paying, you're getting an absolutely gorgeous laptop that packs a punch for very little money--which is why I jumped on this as soon as I learned about it. I see this machine as the successor to the absolutely awesome UL50VT, which was a great machine for the price. I am glad to see that Asus has continued the tradition of offering powerful, feature-rich machines for the fiscally conscientious.

This machine is able to keep up with me as a multitasking "poweruser" (I'll watch movies and open about thirty tabs in Chrome while I write stuff in Word). The 6GB of ram really goes far in offering smooth performance. The i5 processor is fairly beefy, too, and is able to handle just about everything I threw at it without complaint. While this machine has no dedicated graphics card, do not let that fool you; I was genuinely shocked (and happy) that I could run Starcraft II: Heart of the Swarm well on "medium" settings.

The glass screen is both gorgeous and makes the touch screen a joy to use. The colors are surprisingly vibrant, and it's actually hard to tell sometimes that the screen is not 1080p, but for a 15.6" screen, the resolution is still quite low--though, I am used to this because my old UL50VT had the same issue. Also, the speakers are actually pretty decent thanks to the SonicMaster technology they employ.

The notebook is also very light, which makes it very easy to transport. However, its size does stretch the boundaries of what an "ultrabook" is. While easy to transport for its weight, its large size is a little unwieldy for what I'd consider a truly "go-and-compute-anywhere" experience. As well, the battery life is actually shockingly bad. I could squeeze 9 hours of battery life from the UL50VT, whereas this thing gets a little over 4 and a half hours at best, which feels like a step back. This also hinders portability in that you don't get terribly long to use it off the cord. At least, however, the power brick is small and highly portable--though I wish it were a tad longer. Ultimately, this machine is a lot more portable than the UL50VT that I had.

My one true disappointment is the keyboard, which as I mentioned above, has a far too shallow travel distance. Typing on this machine, therefore, is functional (my wpm has not been affected) but far from a pleasant experience--something about it just feels off.

Bottom line, this is just a great machine that can't be beat for the price. Other notebook computers with similar specs cost a lot more than this. Couple great performance with beautiful design, and you get an affordable ultrabook that's frankly hard to beat. Sure, there are drawbacks here and there, but for what you are paying, you won't be disappointed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Keyboard issues = big problem, May 9, 2013
I was so excited when my computer arrived. I glanced at the directions, turned it on, and was ready to be impressed. It is a really nice machine, seems well-built, and I got through most of the initial set-up with no problems. The real problem began when I tried to type full sentences. The space bar, despite being fully pressed, would only register about half the time. This is absolutely not going to fly. I can't imagine a scenario when I would need a computer without a working keyboard. I had read in reviews of other Asus laptops that there were issues with the keyboard, but assumed that those complaints were not the norm (they very well may not be, but my experience indicates otherwise).I am now in the process of returning my computer.
I will say, though, that the packaging was great and the computer arrived really quickly. The return policy seems fair, so hopefully this review will be followed by one singing Asus's praises.

1.0 out of 5 stars A lemon, October 5, 2013
There's a certain standard of quality I expect, even for a lower-end model.

The product itself is easy to use and looks nice, but its quality is awful. Within six months of owning this machine, I had to send it back to ASUS for service because the machine was constantly crashing (blue screen every 10-15 minutes).

The product was returned in a timely matter and ASUS even managed to save my data. I'm willing to chalk it up to a bad hard drive and wouldn't have much of a complaint about this minor inconvenience.

This is, until it started to happen again, six weeks later. This time, completely locking me out of Windows because of a critical system error.

After running into countless walls on the ASUS site, I finally got a representative on the phone, where the only solution proposed was entirely wiping my hard drive, removing every file (mp3, video, photo of my child) and all my programs.

I've owned this machine for eight months and had two MAJOR problems. Now, I have to start from square one, and I can confidently say, wiping the hard drive isn't going to solve the hardware failings this machine is having.

I blame myself for not backing up my data. I should have been more careful after the first episode. This is what I get for trusting ASUS after the initial warning signs.

Regardless to say, I can't recommend this product or this company. My next laptop will be another Lenovo. It might cost me a little more, but my previous two laptops were extremely durable and reliable.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good laptop, keyboard is terrible, April 17, 2013
Summary:
Responsive, solid build, lightweight, bad keyboard

Keyboard:
Uses a chicklet style keyboard that looks aesthetically pleasing. Keys are not responsive and require the press to be hard and directly in the center to register. Pressing the key on a corner (even to the point it looks fully depressed) will not register. Not at all suitable for heavy typing work.

Touchpad:
Large and responsive. With two finger scrolling and enhancement, I found myself using the mousepad far more than the touchscreen.

Touchscreen:
Responsive, but honestly not nearly as useful as I anticipated. In almost all situations, it's easier to just use the pad for clicking/scrolling than reaching over the keyboard to press something. I did not use any illustration software, but the multi-touch capability seemed responsive. Honestly, if I were go through the purchase process again, I'd go for something without the touchscreen.

Performance:
Works fast, but still a little slower than I anticipated. I chalk it up to the extra power needed for the touchscreen. Also had it randomly shut off on me without warning a couple times at 50%+ battery power remaining.

Battery:
I can get anywhere from 3-6 hours depending on use. A single word document at low brightness gets me 6 hours, while multiple browsing tabs/programs or video only gets me 3.

WIFI:
After reading other reviews I made sure the first thing I did was update drivers, so WIFI has worked great for me. In some cases it seemed more responsive than my desktop that I keep plugged directly into the router.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hate it, March 13, 2014
I used to love my laptop in the beginning and now a few months later it gives me nothing but problems.. I had to send it into ASUS tech support 4 times already. Touchscreen will stop working, I would get booted of the internet when all other devices would be running fine. The laptop will crash at unexpected times with no warning.. Definitely wasn't worth the $600+ that I spent.

1.0 out of 5 stars No Bluetooth, December 22, 2013
Gerard (WEMBLEY, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I purchased this product from Mirrorsymmetry. and they advertise ASUS Ultrabook S500CA-DS51T 15.6-Inch Touchscreen Laptopthat as the follow

Black/15.6-Inch HD (1366*768) LED + Touch/Intel Core i5-3317U (1.7GHz) Ivy Bridge with Turbo (2.6GHz)/6GB DDR3/Intel GMA HD/500GB 5400RPM + 24G SSD/No Optical Drive/Windows 8 (64 bit)/802.11BGN/0.3MP/Bluetooth 4.0/1YR International/1YR Accidental Damage/30-Day Zero Bright Dot/2-way FREE shipping/24-7 tech support

There is No Bluetooth, No 1YR International/Accidental Damage warranty, they lied to make sales.

So, look around before you purchase from Mirrorsymmetry.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, December 15, 2013
Let me keep it simple;

Performance - I'm used to tablet speed, this laptop's performance is OK, sometimes it is slow.

System boot speed - Awesome, thanks to solid state drive, this laptop is up and running in 30 seconds

Display - OK. If you can afford it, I would recommend you to get one with higher resolution. Touch screen is good.

Sound - Good

Camera - Year 2003 like camera in 2013 laptop, bad.

Keyboard - It is different. I don't type a lot in this laptop, I don't have any problem with it and no issues with space bar either. (I use my right thump for space bar)

Touch pad - Good, but it will drive you nuts until you disable these options - zoom, rotate, all 'three finger' options and 'Edge gestures'. Left and right clicks are stiff.

Wifi - Stable, full signal. My router is like 20ft away from me, there are two walls in-between, no drops so far.

Windows 8 / 8.1 - I couldn't update to 8.1 immediately, had to install updates for 8 first. But windows updates did not work for me, tried lot of fixes and it finally worked and then I upgraded it 8.1. Total time spent for this process - 10+ hours. I'm using traditional desktop mode, so it is kind of similar to windows 7. (If you are a technical person - windows 8+ allocates memory like there is no tomorrow)

Design - I like it, it is thin and light weight.

Battery - 4.30 hours for normal browsing (news, YouTube, social networking and etc)

Running temperature - A little bit warm near the screen ( fan vent is there) and warm near the battery when it is charging. You won't feel it until you purposefully check it.

Noise level - It is normally quite, but heavier operations like virus scan make the fans sound like a mini hair drier. Sometimes there is a clicking sound from hard disk (click - wait 10 seconds - click - wait 10 seconds - click and on). It stops after few minutes. Internet says it is normal for Hitachi disks, I have to wait and see.

Finger print magnet? - Yes and Yes. Especially the dark lid area behind the screen, clearly visible.

Value for money? - I think so.

It has been four days since I started using this laptop, I'll update if I find anything new.

Rate and Discover Movies