5.0 out of 5 stars Great product for the price
[...]

One of my criteria is to have built-in speakers. I don't have external speakers nor do I like more tangled wires. The speakers sound better than my old Viewsonic VA1912wb I replaced. That is a welcoming fact. Initially, there was a lot of waviness on screen. The troubleshooting guide suggested video connection as the issue. Turns out that it was my...
Published on July 26, 2009 by J. Lam

3.0 out of 5 stars Good monitor; bad anti-glare
Apart from the anti-glare (that due to not being mentioned in the specs on any site, I was unaware was on this monitor), it's an excellent monitor. The annoying part about the anti-glare (for those that don't know) is that it makes the monitor look like someone has sprayed it with water or smeared grime all over it. When watching movies from afar, you won't notice it;...
Published on May 23, 2012 by Tyler

‹ Previous | 1 2 329 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars EVO Monitor -- nothing more needs to be said, November 27, 2012
This review is from: ASUS VH236H 23-Inch Full-HD 2ms LCD Monitor (Electronics)
After seeing all of the negative reviews, I wanted to weigh in with my own experience.

First of all, if you're buying this monitor, it really should be for one purpose and one purpose only: to play games. This monitor's claim to fame is the lack (not total, but about as close as you get with LCD technology) of input lag. This is crucial for video games that rely on timing your button presses within certain frames of animation. Street Fighter, for example, has plenty of 1-frame links. This means that in a 60 frame per second game, you have 1/60 of a second to time your button press. If your inputs are lagging behind the display, things get far more difficult and any timing you practice is not going to be the same timing as if you were using a lagless CRT monitor or playing in an arcade. So that's where the EVO monitor comes in. It's called that because the EVO Championship Series, which is the biggest fighting game tournament in the country, had exclusively used this model monitor to ensure as lagless of an experience as possible for their competitors.

I bought this monitor for a good price and happened to purchase it right around the time a rebate was active. I submitted the rebate according to the instructions and about 8 weeks later it came. To the person/people complaining about being ripped off by rebates, the best advice I can give you is this: WHENEVER you submit a rebate, always photograph each of the components you are sending in, with documentation filled out, and the envelope stamped with the mailing address written on it. That way, if there is any issue with them saying you did not comply with the rebate terms, you have photographic proof and are not bound by what they told you they received. I haven't had that happen to me, but I still take pictures just as a precaution.

Make sure you're not going from a digital to analog source or vice versa, and make sure the monitor is set to game mode. That's how you'll get the best results.

It's not the premier monitor for watching movies or for gaining productivity with your work machine. If you want something like that, you're in the wrong place. It's also not the best monitor if you're just casually playing games or aren't really into fighters/shooters/anything else that requires strict timing. Accept it for what it is and know what you're buying before you click purchase. If you do that, there's no reason you should anything less than a good experience with the monitor.

5.0 out of 5 stars life-like color and crystal clear display, June 23, 2012
This review is from: ASUS VH236H 23-Inch Full-HD 2ms LCD Monitor (Electronics)
Bought it for coding and games. Its fabulous.

To use the native 1080 HD display, you have to use a HDMI or DVI cable, the VGA wire doesn't have sufficient signal bandwidth and produce blurred image. After switching to high capacity HDMI wire, the 1080 HD display looks crystal clear.

The 1080 HD display allows me to have 3 to 4 windows on the screen simultaneously, making my programming life much easier.

While gaming, the color is life-like and the 2ms LCD responds really fast and do not leave shadow traces, good for action games

The built-in speakers are lame, don't count on them for movies or music, they are only sufficient for internet calls. Sound quality is even inferior to my also-2Watts mini USB powered speaker.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it great for students., June 16, 2012
This review is from: ASUS VH236H 23-Inch Full-HD 2ms LCD Monitor (Electronics)
This is a very good product so far. I have used it for like 3 months and have been very satisfied. Here is what i think its very useful for:

1. Education: I listen to all my lectures, view all my powerpoints etc... by hooking my laptop up to the monitor and just watching video on this monitor while taking notes on my laptop. The volume goes extremely loud. Just having to share laptop while watching videos and take notes is extremely time consuming and this monitors makes my life 100 times better. Sometimes i have these huge excel sheets to memorize and this makes it so much easier to see everything on the excel sheet.

2. Entertainment: connected to roku box via hdmi. And I get free local channels on this monitor. radio stations etc...

3. Annoyance: my neighbor used to listen to music VERY LOUD when ever i am sleeping. So now when ever he is sleeping I listen to music VERY LOUDLY with these speakers which are built into the monitor. Now i do not hear his speakers anymore and i even got comments saying that ohh you got a new speaker system, from him. :D

4. Price with rebate i got it for 138.

the screen is very nice. It looks great and its really big better than a laptop screen. I highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good moitor, especially for the price, June 1, 2012
This review is from: ASUS VH236H 23-Inch Full-HD 2ms LCD Monitor (Electronics)
EDIT: I recently watched another movie with the built in speakers and what I originally said about the audio distortion after a cretin range is incorrect, what I experienced was mostly due to low quality audio from the file I was watching; with the higher quality audio it was quite distinct and dialog was understandable from 5-6 ft away, I can't say anything about further then that because the room was smallish. Audio quality was still mediocre, and I'd still compare it to the built in speaker on an iPod. The speakers do have that same issue with low quality audio files, and my laptop was still better able to reproduce the sound on those files more distinctly then the monitor.

A few years ago I owned a BenQ "Full HD" monitor that I got for ~$450 (then low end for HD) and I figured that by now I'd get a similar image from this. When I got this display I was slightly disappointed, the image on this isn't as clear and the colors seemed off and kinda washed out, comparatively. After doing a couple Windows display calibrations and tweaking the displays settings I was a bit happier, but it's colors are still not as sharp as something more then twice the price. After about a day of using it I got used to its "look" and I can say it is totally capable of displaying amazing visuals in games, movies, etc. It's a great monitor for the price, and I doubt you'll have any issue with the image unless you're a hardcore gamer with a $3000 rig. I have to say though the speakers are crap; on par with laptop speakers or the speaker on your phone or iPod. I use headphones 90% of the time and have windows routing sound out my computer speakers, as many of you probably do, so this is a non issue for me, honestly I didn't even know it had them when I ordered it, I never use built in speakers; it's not a buying point for me, I'm just happy they are not visible. I have had one experience with them I can share. Last night I used it to watch a movie off my laptop and chose to use the built in speakers as they are somewhat louder then what my 11" laptop can output, however the extra volume gains you less clarity in dialog to the point where we had to sit ~3 ft away from it in order to understand what was being said. There was a distinct cutoff point around there where if we schootched our chairs back it would become incomprehensible, and the louder the volume is up the worse this effect got. It wouldn't be so bad with loud music, but with voice it is definitely an issue if you plan to use the built in speakers. Built in speakers are always crap, so this is to be expected. If you were at a desk in a quiet room watching youtube or listening to Windows make its alert sounds I doubt you'd have an issue.

Nit picks:
-No DisplayPort (if you don't know: it's like an HDMI alternative)
-No audio out/headphone jack
-Stand only tilts
-Menus are not intuitive to navigate
-Power button is orange and I think it clashes with the slick glossy black bezel, it is SUPER easy to find though.

TL;DR
-I would choose this monitor for a sub ~$1500, mid range gaming rig, as response times are fast and while I found the colors slightly "muddy" while viewing hi-rez landscape photos I use for wallpaper the colors are quite vibrant and well suited to gaming, producing fantastical visuals free from graphical anomalies (ie tearing).
-I would also choose this to do homework, word processing, email, spreadsheets, and web surfing on; it is cheap (although there are cheaper, if all you are doing is surfing and office stuff pick up a 1080p $110 acer if you can) simply because of the screen space and low price point. Having built in speakers also means you won't have to spend $18 on USB speakers to hear the funny cats on youtube or windows boot up.
-I would also choose this if I was planning to use my computer as my movie/TV watching device, as long as I got a $50-$100 desktop sound system to accompany it.
-I would not choose this monitor if my main use was to edit photos, video, etc or utilize the built in speakers expecting high quality audio you'd expect accompanying the "Full HD" viewing experience. You're going to have to buy something expensive for all of that.

It did take Amazon a WEEK to sip this out (guess they were out of stock), but I was notified of the ship date at checkout. Shipping/delivery was on time, even to Hawaii and FREE! Best thing about Amazon. Especially living in Hawaii where New Egg only offers 2-day FedEx air witch would have cost me at least $50 more for this purchase. This monitor was on sale ~$10 less over there that week, but the shipping would have killed me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Bang For Your Buck Gaming Monitor, September 26, 2011
This review is from: ASUS VH236H 23-Inch Full-HD 2ms LCD Monitor (Electronics)
When the price is right for this monitor, it's a great deal. Don't be fooled by misleading GTG numbers with no standardization between manufacturers. Instead, read reviews from people who do what you want to do with the monitor. This monitor has been used in a number of gaming events and done well. It works great for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT/AMAZING for Gaming and everything else!!!, September 15, 2011
This review is from: ASUS VH236H 23-Inch Full-HD 2ms LCD Monitor (Electronics)
I had bought the asus ve278q a couple weeks ago, the input lag on it was very low but not quite enough, i couldnt get used to it (coming off of a CRT TV) it also had weird streaking issues when moving in games where black streaks would show on the in game objects(motion blur?), so i returned it and researched some better monitors, I came across this one the vh236h, being that it is the monitor MLG and EVO uses, i thought that it must be good, and researched some reviews stating it was near 0 ms input lag. So i ordered this baby, and it just came in earlier today and i absolutely LOVE it! I honestly cant feel a difference between this and my CRT TV, i play Call of Duty on insane (10) sensitivity, so im very sensitive in noticing the slightest bit of lag. The monitor has great colors and contrast. I HIGHLY recommend this monitor to any hardcore/casual gamer, its perfect for fast-paced games. I may do a video review of it soon.

4.0 out of 5 stars ASUS VH236H 23 Inch Widescreen LCD Monitor - Black, April 6, 2012
Zaha (Raleigh, NC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ASUS VH236H 23-Inch Full-HD 2ms LCD Monitor (Electronics)
Got the monitor for $150-$20 rebate.
Great monitor for the price.
It met all my requirements like inbuilt speaker and multiple option for input.
I use HDMI to connect this to my laptop. Good for work + watching movies.
The speaker on the monitor is also good for casual movie viewing.

Following cables was included in the package: VGA, DVI and male to male audio cable.

Initially I connected the HDMI cable but there was no video. Problem was I have to
manually select the video input using the menu. Default was VGA.

Then had sound problem. It was not delivering sound through HDMI.
I tried using the audio cable and still no sound.
I was able to get audio onto external speaker using the audio cable.
Read some reviews online and found, audio cable input will be disabled when you connect using HDMI. This
is to avoid receiving audio from 2 sources.
I was able to resolve my issue after selecting appropriate driver on the laptop.

5.0 out of 5 stars ASUS VH236H LCD Monitor, October 30, 2011
This review is from: ASUS VH236H 23-Inch Full-HD 2ms LCD Monitor (Electronics)
Saw this monitor in action connected to my grandsons PS3 and I had to have one. Connected it to my PS3 and it made playing games (BFBC2 & BF3) a lot better, I could see things that I could not see on a LCD tv, graphics are awesome. If you are looking to replace the monitor connected to your PS3, get this one, makes all the difference in your game play.......

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Monitor for Gaming, July 5, 2011
This review is from: ASUS VH236H 23-Inch Full-HD 2ms LCD Monitor (Electronics)
My first monitor came with two stuck pixels, and Amazon quickly sent a new one so kudos to Amazon's customer service. Hopefully I just got unlucky and Asus' quality control is better as a whole, but it is one data point to consider.

The ASUS VH236H contains a TN panel but it performs very well for its price. Picture quality is good, but it does look a bit washed out on the standard settings. Perhaps that can be fixed through calibration, but it's still a concern for the casual consumer that doesn't have calibration tools (i.e. a colorimeter).

While the picture might not be comparable to more expensive products, it's hard to find a better setup for competitive gaming. The ASUS VH236 is very responsive and has practically no input lag (less than one frame) and has good pixel response time (less blurring). It's no surprise that the monitor is used in some of the biggest gaming tournaments (EVO and MLG).

Lastly, I appreciate that the monitor includes some functional (but weak) speakers, and the headphone jack doesn't emit an annoying constant static noise like my other monitors. I bought an extra HDMI switch and the setup works perfectly for my Xbox 360 and PS3.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product for the price, March 4, 2011
This review is from: ASUS VH236H 23-Inch Full-HD 2ms LCD Monitor (Electronics)
It looks very sleek on my desk and is extremely easy to start up and go. Works fine with Mac products. Sometimes it reverts to lower quality dpi; I'm not sure why or how. Other than that, no complaints.

‹ Previous | 1 2 329 | Next ›