5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Budget e-IPS (midrange) Monitor
First off to address the complaints of "graininess" observed by some owners due to the matte finish: Lower your brightness! The pearly shimmery effect is only noticeble at the maximum 100% brightness which is around 270 cd/m2 (~20 cd/m2 higher than advertised). However, at the max brightness level, most users would find it uncomfortable to use for more than 30 minutes...
Published 20 months ago by Dawen Shen

3.0 out of 5 stars Great product, but marred with panel issues
I was convinced to purchase two of these recently launched monitors after searching for a cheap IPS monitor. It also helped that there was only a $20 price difference (at time of purchase) between this and the similarly sized VS228H-P.

After receiving them, set up was simple. There are some preset brightness/contrast settings, but I typically leave them off...
Published on November 8, 2011 by questquecest

‹ Previous | 1 2 345 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars ASUS has horrible customer support, dead pixels not covered, December 12, 2012
This review is from: ASUS VS239H-P 23-Inch Full-HD LED IPS Monitor (Personal Computers)
My monitor arrived and had a stuck pixel in the center of the screen. The pixel would always stay green, no matter what image was being displayed. This was especially annoying while coding on terminals with black backgrounds. I called up ASUS technical support, and they told me that they could repair the pixel. I shipped the monitor out, and I just got it back now (4 weeks later!!) with the same stuck pixel. They don't ship their products with 2-day or priority shipping. They use standard ground which took over a week. Once my monitor arrived, they didn't look at it for several days. Once they looked at it, they sent me an email saying they couldn't do anything with it (despite what the phone rep told me). I explained my situation but no dice. They were sending it back. The only problem was that they let it sit in their repair center for over a week before they shipped (with standard ground once again). So 4 weeks later, I'm out a month w/o my product, and a stuck pixel. Thanks to their slow service, I cannot return it to Amazon, and I cannot use my extended 3rd party warranty until after a year. I will never buy an ASUS product again. Horrible, horrible customer service. Aside from the fact that they require 3->5 dead/stuck pixels all within 3 inches of one another before they will fix it.

TLDR: Horrible customer service, won't fix dead/stuck pixels, don't recommend ASUS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Monitor! 1 failed after 13 months, but then awesome warranty service!, October 19, 2012
I bought 2 of these and received them both on time and in flawless condition. No dead or stuck pixels. Although I don't have any color calibration equipment I am very pleasantly surprised at how well these monitors perform when running through a few online monitor-calibration web sites. I am upgrading from a Samsung Synchmaster 2232BW and this monitor outperforms or equals in every respect. Also, both of these monitors display colors/brightness/gamma extremely similarly right-out-of-the-box, so there was VERY little tweaking needed for me to get them to match up.

To be honest, I'm completely clueless as to what people are talking about with regards to the "Film" problem. It was the one big worry I had, but now having two of these side-by-side in front of me I am 100% satisfied.

The only minor quibble I would have is one with regards to space. All of the cables plug in perpendicular to the back plane of the monitor (instead of down or to the side). This means that your cables add the the effective depth of the monitor. Meaning that if you were hoping to put these right next to a wall, you would be out of luck because the cables are protruding from the back. There are solutions, of course: Cables to Go 03152 6 feet/1.82 Meters 18 AWG Universal Right Angle Power Cord IEC320C13R to NEMA 5-15P - Black or Belkin Pro Series DVI-D Dual-Link M to M Cable (10 ft.)

Luckily for me, I have plenty of space away from walls.

UPDATE 1: 11/20/2013
Today one of the two monitors failed after only 13 months. Most of the left side has pink lines and sort of a "burn in" image look to it. The monitors have never been moved or jostled post-installed. The ambient temperature in my house is 70 degrees +/- 4 degrees. There are no environmental reasons for this monitor to fail, it failed because its manufacture quality was deficient. I docked 2 stars from my otherwise 5 star review due to the short life span.

UPDATE 2: 12/2/2013
HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN! I RMA'd the monitor. The whole process was EASY and cost about $15 for shipping and packaging. I received a packaged-like-new replacement, including new cords and instructions etc 7 days after I sent the broken one in. This is BY FAR the best warranty experience I've ever had. The new monitor is flawless as far as I can tell. It perfectly matches my other "old" unbroken monitor. BACK TO 5 STARS due to AWESOME SERVICE.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great entry level IPS monitor, December 19, 2011
This monitor is great for those who want to experience the experience of an IPS panel. The colors are sharp and the accurate and the viewing angles are absolutely great! To those that are skeptical of the stand mount, it's not cheap plastic but steel with glossy plastic casing, Tilting the monitor up and down takes no effort and moves smoothly. If you really want pivot and swivel for this monitor, you can attract it to a VESA mount as well.

Though it isn't perfect, for one this is a edge lit LED lit panel, which can be prone to some back light bleeding. My monitor had a small bleed at the lower left corner, but I'm not losing sleep over it. It's honestly not distracting unless my screen is completely black and I'm looking for it.

Another con I found with the monitor was that the blacks had a weird maroon tint till I had it calibrated.

Pros:
Great color quality and picture
low price
VESA mount compatible

Cons:
Chance of back light bleeding due to it being an edge lit screen
brightness needs to be calibrated for accurate blacks
tilt adjustment is the only movement possibly

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic monitor, with only minor concerns., November 17, 2012
This monitor is fantastic. The color, viewing angle, speed are all excellent. I was coming from a 20" TN monitor, so this was a definite upgrade, and I can tell a significant difference, as I still have both running side-by-side.

The color reproduction is fantastic. My pictures look like they have new life breathed into them. I didn't realize what a difference true color reproduction would have. I'm not professional, so can't talk to the technical aspects of color-delta, or whatever, but it looks fantastic.

The viewing angle is just so helpful. I can slouch while playing games and not worry about half the screen looking dark. No matter what, I can always see everything that I'm supposed to see.

The 'speed' as people talk about, with sometimes ghosting issues on IPS monitors while gaming has not shown itself to me at all with this, so that is also a plus.

Sometimes, I have seen a bit of backlight bleed around the edges, but never during times where I'm doing something where I'd say "oh, I wish that would go away". It's usually transition times, when the screen is completely black, then I notice it. So while other people may complain about that, It's never been an issue for me in practicality.

Cons
There are two small things as downside to this monitor, not issues for me, but may affect others, so commenting on them:
One is that the stability of the stand isn't perfect. It's good, but if I shake my desk, the monitor wiggles a bit, where my other monitor is rock solid. But 99% of the time this isn't affecting me, so not enough to take a star or not purchase.

Secondly, the design of the 90degree plugs in the back is silly. Not sure why any monitor manufacturer would develop such a good monitor with a thin design, then take away the benefit the thinness by making every connector come straight out the back, instead of down. For me, it's not so much of an issue, because I have room behind it in my setup, but if you are wanting/expect this to be very flush against a wall, it's not going to do that for you. But again personally, it doesn't affect me, so not removing a star for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars matching imac screen panel, July 14, 2012
I bought this monitor to place it next to my 20 inch iMac. First let me tell you that the monitor arrive on time and in perfect conditions it was very easy to put together no even need an screw driver. It looks really nice with a black piano finish and silver Asus logo. The size of it is also very nice not to big no too small perfect to go with the size of the iMac. the stand is not high adjustable so to be at the same level that the iMac I use an Vesa mount arm.

Now the performance, the response time is perfect for my use the motion is really smooth in most of the cases. The backlight is very nice spread and even on dark places I cant see any distracting backlight bleeding only a little bit on the lower right corner when looked at extreme angles. And now the colors the part where I think I'm going to help a bit, out of the box looks really nice but it doesn't match the iMac colors at all even after following the calibration software built in the OSX so here are my settings to do the magic.

Splendid mode: scenery mode
Color Temp: User mode R: 80 G: 87 B: 88
Sharpness: 50
Trace Free: 60
ASCR: off

Thats the closes you are gonna get and the colors are a bit more deep on the mac panel impossible to match off course maybe with a color calibrater you can but if you are happy with my settings like I'm you can safe 100+ dollars otherwise go for spider3 which after my research seems to be the best color calibrator option.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it!, September 26, 2012
The monitor is an great purchase! At first, I was wary of getting an IPS monitor due to the streaking that occurs when playing games, but this particular model has trace-free technology built in. I didn't see any streaking whatsoever in the time I've had it.

The screen has very wide viewing-angles as you'd expect since it's IPS. Plus, the image is crisp and vibrant. The only complaint I have (albeit minor) is that the screen can look a bit grainy when you look really close due to the heavy anti-glare coating.

5.0 out of 5 stars IPS VS229h-p vs VS228h-p (w/o IPS), April 24, 2012
I spend 10+ hours in front of computer screens.

I have a Dell XPS L502X notebook computer that has a high-resolution LED-LCD panel.

At first, I purchased the VS228 that had no IPS. The screen resolution was superior to Planar monitors I had previously used. However, the resolution was causing me eye fatigue -- particularly when the monitors were tilted at an angle.

Upon educating myself on the IPS technology, and careful research on it, I purchased the Asus VS229h-p that has it. It is the cheapest monitor in this size on the market.

Furthermore, Asus is fast becoming the Chinese version of Korean Samsung/LG. They started out making computer and electronic components, then vertically integrated.

The "VS" series has a 3-year warranty that allows for replacement of the monitor, superior to any other wsrranty for a similar product.

The IPS screen is immediately noted for its clarity, and color purity and authenticity. The monitors can be angled or pivoted on a dual monitor stand, and there is no fading or ghosting of the image.

I highly recommend it. The IPS feature has me sold.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice picture, light, good for home office, December 3, 2012
mcinniseast "mcinniseast" (Dallas, TX United States) - See all my reviews
Overall very nice display. Universal mounting on back was excellent. Had a bad pixel on each screen which marked it down one star. Not noticible once in use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent performance and value, October 30, 2012
I received the monitor in a well-protected package, overnight for $3.95. (Love Amazon Prime benefits.) This unit is a replacement for business use, and was easily installed with the connections already attached to the Samsung monitor previously used. I'm very happy with the images as well as the brightness.

If it continues to do well, I may consider other Asus products. This is my first purchase of hardware by Asus. Actually, nothing not to like.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Monitor, May 12, 2012
After searching for about a week trying to find the best monitor for my budget I decided on getting this one. This is a great monitor text is sharp and colors are fantastic. I currently have it connected to my computer with the dvi connection and my xbox 360 with the vga connection. It automatically connects to whichever is on. As other people have mentioned it does have light bleeding, but only in the corners and it's only noticeable when they're really dark. I would highly recommend this monitor, movies and games look great on this.

‹ Previous | 1 2 345 | Next ›