5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent laptop
Excellent Price, the laptop is faster than expected , the screen is perfect if you want to work with two ore more Windows at the same time. Win 8 has some issues but it is a Microsoft problema.
Published 13 months ago by Arturo Ramirez

The good:

-Arrived as scheduled (shipped overnight coast to coast)
-No dead/bright pixels
-ASUS packaging is nice and simple.
-It's big enough not to feel flimsy but slim and light enough to be portable.
-It's pretty good looking. The design is simple but classy.
-For a 'budget' laptop, it's a more than adequate replacement for my 4...
Published 11 months ago by jacqui

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent laptop, October 7, 2013
Arturo Ramirez (miami, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ASUS X550CA-DB31 15.6-Inch Laptop (OLD VERSION) (Personal Computers)

3.0 out of 5 stars Great budget laptop, with one annoying issue right out of the box., December 5, 2013
The good:

-Arrived as scheduled (shipped overnight coast to coast)
-No dead/bright pixels
-ASUS packaging is nice and simple.
-It's big enough not to feel flimsy but slim and light enough to be portable.
-It's pretty good looking. The design is simple but classy.
-For a 'budget' laptop, it's a more than adequate replacement for my 4 year old Toshiba.

The bad:

-Mine has a faulty space bar. My google-fu reveals that this is a known issue and I will be contacting ASUS about a repair/replacement keyboard immediately. The space bar requires being pressed in a 'sweet spot' in the middle or it doesn't work. Although I do not do a lot of typing, just in writing this review I experienced a frustrating amount of having to go back and insert spaces. I suppose I could live with it if I had to, but if I was still in school and doing a lot of writing, it would drive me insane.

-A minor note is that the AC adapter (the part that plugs into the wall) is a big square like the old Apple adapters. This makes it hard to fix into most plugs and power strips if anything else is plugged in. The tradeoff is that the AC adapter is very small and light compared to other laptop adapters I've owned.

Overall:

Aside from the annoying keyboard issue, I really like this computer. Windows 8 is HORRIBLE but with 8.1 and a few tweaks, it's OK to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Laptop!, March 4, 2014
I have bought Several of these models for my office. Asus is the best PC brand out there and this laptop is no exception to the quality of their products. This is the best bang for your buck for both Performance and Price.

5.0 out of 5 stars great for work, June 15, 2014
Great laptop for work or business. Not the best for any high intensity games but videos/movies etc are nice. You can customize for a more efficient windows 7 hybrid if work requires upgrade...

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!, June 16, 2014
So i have read & heard about horror stories about installing windows 8.1 on just about most laptops from different manufacturers but in my case, it went very smooth. About 3-weeks after i bought and installed all updates, i got notification about upgrading to Win. 8.1 on the Microsoft app. Proceeded with caution and after several re-boots, the system seems faster. After powering up and entering my password, the system takes about 30 to 35 sec. to get to the desktop. I like the touch screen & my only advise is to learn & be patient with windows 8...I am still learning.

Screen is just the right size...the laptop is light and thin. The only problem i ran into was a non-responsive touchpad but a call to customer support took care of this issue.

I plan to install an SSD once i learn how to do this. Let me know if you guys have any other questions...thanks, Rick

1.0 out of 5 stars VERY Poor Service, December 14, 2013
Bought this computer two months ago to skype with our grand-kids.
The internal microphone did not work.
Sent to repair facility and all they did was return it with a new OS load but no fix for the microphone issue.
Sent it in again where it has been sitting for 2 weeks with no ECD status.
Numerous calls to ASUS support center with no positive results.
Bottom line: one should not expect to have a new computer which cannot be used for its intended purpose for over 2 months and counting.
ASUS brand claims high quality and great support. Well I'm certainly not seeing that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 15, 2014
very good

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 7, 2014
great product

3.0 out of 5 stars Windows update nightmare, but otherwise a nice laptop, June 7, 2014
I didn't buy this laptop through Amazon, but I figured I'd leave a review anyway.

After picking this up at a large box store, I brought it home and booted it up. The initial Windows 8 setup was pretty quick. A few minutes after getting used to the new Windows interface, Windows wanted to update. I saw that there were approximately 100 updates to be applied, so I decided to just do it and get it over with. Hours later, the updates were finally installing and then the dreaded "Failure to update Windows" green screen of death came up. A call to Asus customer service told me to reinstall the O/S and try again. That took hours and hours.

I came home from work the next day and tried again. Same thing. Another call to Asus customer service and this time the guy at least explained that Windows was trying to force updates for Windows 8.1, which I should download. He also suggested that I turn Windows Updates off, but I really didn't feel like that was a good idea. I tried to download Windows 8.1 from the Microsoft store, but of course Windows wouldn't let me do this until I updated. I figured I'd give it one more shot. It took forever, but Windows finally updated, I downloaded Windows 8.1 for free and now everything is fine.

I've only had it for a few days, but it's working flawlessly. Nice touch screen. No hangups or slowness. I really like this laptop, but I can't give it any higher than 3 stars because of the Windows update issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, March 21, 2014
Excellent product. Faster, and good warranty. It can be use with heavy programs and its solid disk permit a faster use

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›