5.0 out of 5 stars Just came in last night!
Published 5 months ago by Steve W.

1.0 out of 5 stars Please read if you are using with Intel core i7 4790k CPU!
You may want to choose another board if you are using the following components:
CPU-Intel core i7 4790k
Corsair Vengeance 16g DDR3 1600

Published 2 months ago by M. Beirn

5.0 out of 5 stars Just came in last night!, May 17, 2014
This review is from: ASUS Z97-A ATX DDR3 2600 LGA 1150 Motherboards Z97-A (Personal Computers)
A little background history about myself, I've worked in a computer company building workstations, file servers, and PCs since 2002, joined the military in 2008, and just within the last year, started working on computers again. Of the last 12 years, I've personally owned many motherboards from Abit, Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, and DFI. Two of those brands are now defunct, but Asus has always been the board of choice for me. Starting last year, I've built a htpc based around an MSI z87-g43 that was just a get the job done board and my personal PC using an Asus Z87-Plus. The Asus Z87-plus has been an amazing experience. It's AI Suite for setting power management, and fan control is excellent, and after having my i7 4770k overclocked to 4.6Ghz without a single hiccup for the past 7 months reminded me why I love Asus Boards.
This board was purchased for my girlfriend's new pc. I haven't received the cpu yet for it, but I do have the rest of the parts laying around. I pulled the 4770k from my z87 pc and bench-tested this new board just to verify everything's good. Immediately I was surprised.
The new EFI BIOS is extremely well laid out. The first page tells you everything you need to know clearly. It's evolved from prior Asus EFI bios to a much nicer looking, more intuitive interface. The Advanced Mode still gives you all of the good old overclocking settings, but the best part is the refined EZ Tuning Wizard. In a step by step guide it asks you what type of applications you'll use your system for, then it goes to ask if your cooler is a standard hsf, "tower" hsf, or waterblock. After answering those questions, it informs you of a "target" clock and proceeds to tune your system. The waterblock settings provide a 30% overclock attempt to bring a 4770k to 4.5Ghz, which my chip does easily. Temperatures still seemed pretty good, and I do love how the Hardware Monitor keeps a plane on the right side of the Advanced window. As for more tuning, That will have to wait for later when I get the new chip and have my girlfriend build the computer herself since it's her machine.
As for layout, this thing's a beauty where pics do no justice! Some Z87-A and Z87-Plus owners complained how the right hand side of the board is a little flimsy when installed because those boards are a little too short to reach the right most standoffs. This board is about a 1/2" longer allowing the board to be mounted and supported by the standoffs. Awesome implementation since that will provide more support for the EATX power connector.
CPU VRM is still an 8-phase setup when compared to the Z87-A, and identical to my Z87-Plus. That should still provide plenty of overclocking headroom on 4670k and 4770K cpus. I have little doubt this will overclock identical to my Z87 if not better.
RAM VRM appears to be a 2+1 phase design. The inductors are a good deal larger than what's on the Z87-plus, also the circuit does have a couple additional capacitors for the additional phase that's missing from the z87 parts. I would imagine this will allow wonderful Ram or BCLK headroom for overclocking!
Audio is powered by the ALC892 still. I'm not a fan of onboard audio on motherboards since there's often a significant amount of noise induced. Asus tackled the issues by implementing 4 nicicon capacitors, an EMI shield over the ALC892 chip, thicker traces and implemented a Ti OP amp that's pretty far away from any ic on the board. I'm sure it's a step in the right direction, and honestly, it isn't a bad audio processor. Yes it's old, doesn't do that sound blaster cinema or all of the new features, but who really cares? They spent some time on improving a tried and true design, and more importantly, You still have an optical out to use for your DAC if you so choose. I'm happy with that.

Overall, this is a great level of refinement and improvement over prior Asus z87 boards. The Intel NIC, M.2 slot, SATA Express, improved UEFI BIOS, improved RAM VRM, and other features I'm sure I'll soon discover makes this an excellent choice for most haswell builds. Honestly, I'm thinking about swapping my board in my case for this one and hope my gf doesn't notice. Sure it's not an ROG board, but how many people actually gain any benefit from additional phases on haswell since it's a crapshoot with the integrated VRM and crappy TIM under the heat spreader? Almost nil unless you have a cherry-picked Engineering Sample chip. In that respect, buy this board, you'll be happy.

4.0 out of 5 stars ASUS does it again, June 6, 2014
I have used ASUS motherboards for a long time. Each time either it is a Workstation, Premium or Deluxe variant of the given chipset. Since I never required two Ethernet ports, built-in Wifi and too many expansion slots. So this time I decided that let me go with simply Z97 board minus the frills but with 8-phase power for stable system even with overclocking as must.

This Asus z97-A perfectly fits the needs with great value pricing. It has the ASUS famous 5-way optimization and other valued added features that are part of the higher offerings but fewer expansion slots, one Ethernet port and no wifi. Hence the cost benefits.

The specs of my newly built rigs are:

ASUS z97-A motherboard
Intel core i5-4570 processor
Sapphire R9 270X, 2GB DDR5 with OC version
Corsair Vengeance Pro series 1866MHz 16GB kit
Crucial M500 SSD 120GB boot drive (many other HDDs as well)
Thermaltake 750W PS
Corsair mini ATX casing

Windows 8.1 and all my softwares installed with every single patch and updates without any single issue. The system is very responsive and a pleasure to use. I did not OC it so far. The UEFI BIOS seems very nice generally and feature loaded for OC.
I did not used the advertised Crystal Sound as I put my old Audigy 2 X sound card in it.

The motherboard performed as it is advertised and the built quality is top class that always goes with ASUS. I highly recommend this MB to anyone looking not to compromise on performance and quality but like to save some bucks.

My only reason for a four star rating is the MB came with just 3 GATA 6 cables and one header for connecting chassis connectors. May be this is to save cost but how much the company would save on it? Like to take half star out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Z97!, June 2, 2014
Build - Top notch Asus build quality, feels very sturdy, and has a great weight to it. The colors of the heatsinks are very different in the photos, it's a very nice soft gold, and a light silver at different angles.

Overclocking - I've got my 4670k running at 4.6ghz on 1.230v, paired with a Hyper 212 EVO. It tops out at 67c, and is very stable.
(This may vary with your CPU)

It has 3 PCI-E slots, and is capable of three-way SLI/Crossfire, but I wouldn't use the 3rd lane as bottlenecks the bandwith. The Asus quality is just amazing, and the BIOS is the best I've seen. If you are looking into a board that does what it does, but does not have all the blingy features, this would be the perfect board for you. Would buy again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Came in exactly as expected, works as expected., August 19, 2014
This product came in exactly as specified, and in the expected condition, which is to say, pristine and untouched. Came with all of the expected components. As for features, this thing has a ton including power management and fan control, which I cannot say I use, but that's because I don't need them right now. I can, however, confirm that they are there. Two PCIe slots, lots of SATA ports for those looking to brag at the speeds with which they transfer data, although it only comes with three SATA cables so if you're looking to connect more than a DVD drive and two hard drives to your motherboard, and they're all SATA interface, you need to buy the cables yourself. My only complaint? Can't figure out where the 'HD Audio' pins are for the front panel of my PC, but the back ports still work as expected, and I'm sure I will figure out that issue eventually.

A warning for potential buyers, however: You may have heard that this series of motherboards comes with a built-in wifi adapter. They do. This specific motherboard, however, does not. I knew this going in, but some people may think that they can get away with not buying a wifi card by purchasing this product. I can tell you right now, writing on the same computer the motherboard is installed in in: You either buy a wifi card, or you plug your router into the LAN port. There is no native wireless capability.

4.0 out of 5 stars ... by Thursday afternoon - Amazon Prime shipping is the best. I purchased this motherboard because I wanted to ..., September 26, 2014
I ordered this on Tuesday and had it by Thursday afternoon - Amazon Prime shipping is the best. I purchased this motherboard because I wanted to run 3 monitors simultaneously in Linux (LinuxMint 17). After reading the specs on the video capabilities of the board I determined this was doable. Three monitors isn't a huge feat, however, I wanted to run two monitors (workspaces) in Landscape and the third in Portrait (document viewing/e-books) -- Very successful!! I am very pleased with this motherboard so far, albiet that I have had it up and running less than 24 hours.

A couple caveats :
- I purchased the Intel I7 4790K (4.0Ghz) processor to go with this. Works very well... My only concern is the Stock Intel CPU cooler - When installed it can be relatively easily pulled up off the CPU and out of the MOBO holes when the pins are locked; It also does not exert much pressure onto the CPU as my experience with most older motherboards of the Pentium days. Numerous times while assembling I found myself concerned about the security of the pins into/thru the motherboard. I do not believe this to be a motherboard issue, but an issue with the CPU cooler. For peace of mind I am considering a 3rd party cooler that I hope will feel more secure when attached.
- M.2 connector : Not ALL M.2 connectors are the same. I found this out when the 64GB M.2 module I also purchased (Transcend TS64GMTS400) was not recognized by the motherboard. After a couple hours of research I found that the M.2 socket can be one of two interface types : SATA or PCIe. This motherboard has a PCIe Type M (x4 lane) interface. The module I purchased, even though it did plug in as expected, is SATA. From my research (on Amazon) the SATA modules are very plentiful and less expensive than their PCIe counterparts. The PCIe is faster than the SATA (from all that I have read).

I will update this review as I get more time with it. I thought I would post the M.2 information ASAP to help any other buyers of this board so they get the proper M.2 module.

1.0 out of 5 stars Please read if you are using with Intel core i7 4790k CPU!, August 14, 2014
You may want to choose another board if you are using the following components:
CPU-Intel core i7 4790k
Corsair Vengeance 16g DDR3 1600

This board has driver issues (bios) This is the 4th PC that I have built and the 1st that told me my PCI graphics was incompatible after the bios screen. I searched the forums and found quite a few people who had a "black screen" after configuring the bios. I tried a number of settings and would reset the bios each time with no luck. I even tried using the on board VGA and Dvi connections (after removing my video card) and they did not work. I am returning z97-a board but in the mean time, I purchased another board (Asus Hero VII) and installed all the same components (ie CPU and fan, ram, ssd, power supply, DVD player within the same case) and it booted and I installed windows on the new board in 15 minutes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Manages to satisfy even the most demanding with its versatility and received value for the money, July 3, 2014
ASUS Z97-A is latest addition in their family of DDR3 LGA 1150 motherboards which though not the cheapest on the market, manages to satisfy with its versatility and received value for the money.

Speaking first about its design, users can be assured that ASUS once again delivers high-quality board both in terms of colorful visual look and quality of build. The board doesn’t look cheap and it’s not too light, you will not have to worry about breaking it while e.g. installing cooler.

Speaking about performance, I tried it with two processors (4660k and 4570) and two different cards GTX 750 and GTX 770 together with Corsair Vengeance RAM and it worked stable RUNNING Windows 7 and without any problems encountered.

The most pleasant surprise is new UEFI BIOS which leads users through series of questions to most recommended clock setting in order to tune your system to the optimal value providing interface more pleasing to the eye.

Given all the above, ASUS Z97-A is a board that can be recommend due to numerous reasons and useful features even for the most demanding users.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great system board for major PC upgrade, June 25, 2014
I researched upgrading a family member's "gamer PC" and landed on this platform for the best price/performance solution. Coupled with the Intel Core i7-4790 Processor and Corsair Vengeance memory, this thing screams!! Easy Bios setup, and GREAT performance are the result. It has been installed about 2 weeks now, and I have received nothing but praise for the upgraded PC ever since. I am a master PC builder, and this one is very representative of the final solutions provided. Highly recommend Asus motherboards for performance builds!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast!, July 14, 2014
Great board easy to set up, always a fan of ASUS and their products.

Only ran into one little issue when I built my new PC with this board...couldn't get past the POST because the switch for overclocking (which should have been off by default) wasset to the power setting (which apparently my set up didn't like)

Took me a couple hours to figure out that the switch wasn't set right (i never looked to check it because I wasn't going to use the feature) Once I put it back to the default off I was good to go and haven't had an issue since.

Great fast board with the latest intel i7, GTX 760, and a SSD to complaints here!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, July 30, 2014
Well this motherboard is just amazing for being a motherboard, love all the USB 3.0 and SATA Express slots, great sound system as well so no need for a soundcard. It's ATX so it should fit in all cases designed for ATX boards and brings all the great features of ATX boards like 4 slots of DDR3 or the multiple PCIe slots and even brings some PCI slots if your reusing some with some age to it. Works amazingly with my new pc build for around $700 as I already own an OS.
Specs: