5.0 out of 5 stars AT&T Rises from the Ashes (Albeit in Chinese)
5 stars for the ATT 1740. It's perfect. (I paid 17 bucks at Radio Shack,
but I see that it's even cheaper here.) I was particularly thrilled because
there were a number of Amazon reviews that panned its predecessor,
the ATT 1739. All the bad stuff they said about the 1739 is groundless.
1) The sound quality is superb, 2) the setup and button layout...
Published on April 29, 2012 by Bob Blum

3.0 out of 5 stars Works, but...
We replaced an AT&T 1738 with this model. It records correctly, sound quality varies from good to so-so, but generally good. There are 2 main differences from the earlier unit, both of which are biggies for me:

Published 22 months ago by K. Whitfield

5.0 out of 5 stars AT&T Rises from the Ashes (Albeit in Chinese), April 29, 2012
Bob Blum (California, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: AT&T 1740 Digital Answering System with Time/Day Stamp Landline Telephone Accessory (Office Product)
5 stars for the ATT 1740. It's perfect. (I paid 17 bucks at Radio Shack,
but I see that it's even cheaper here.) I was particularly thrilled because
there were a number of Amazon reviews that panned its predecessor,
the ATT 1739. All the bad stuff they said about the 1739 is groundless.
1) The sound quality is superb, 2) the setup and button layout is easy, 3) you CAN intercept calls
(that is, YOU CAN DO CALL SCREENING - that's a key reason to have an answering machine),
4) the unit's interaction with my telephone is flawless (no feedback). This is all based only on
my unit, but it's so good, that if it were to stop working in 6 months, I'd just go buy another one.

My main telephone is a 20 year old ATT 1545 Speakerphone + digital answering machine.
It served me well for 2 decades (it outlasted my marriage). It is built in the grand old style
of the Bell era monopolies. I've got it connected to a handset lifter and remote Plantronics
headset. So, when the digital answering machine board in the old phone went bad,
I was not about to replace it with any cheap, modern substitute.

The solution is just to turn off the answering machine internal to the old ATT 1545, but still use
it to make calls. But, I connect the ATT phone to my new 17 dollar ATT 1740 answering machine.
Works like a charm!

Yes, ATT no longer makes this product - it's actually made by "Advanced American Telephones,"
but so what. The Chinese need to eat. A word of advice to AAT and every other company making
products reviewed on Amazon. If you give a hoot, respond to every single negative review.
(My main goal is to improve humanity before the robots take over; see my articles on robotics, AI,
and cognitive neuroscience at bobblum.com (all free).)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Answering machine, May 29, 2012
T. Tourand (United States) - See all my reviews
The AT&T 1740 is crystal clear in all respects. My recorded greeting, and all of the messages received are clear as a bell. For the price, this answering machine will be very hard to beat. It uses spoken instructions and spoken message stamping. It's Super easy to set up, it only took me about 2 minutes. It day and time stamps every message (i.e "Wednesday at 3:12 pm"); - but no date stamp is available, which is not a deal breaker for me; since I don't need date stamped messages anyway. I'm very pleased with the overall performance of the 1740, and would recommend it highly for people that want a good machine at a good price.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works, but..., September 22, 2012

*As another reviewer mentioned, this unit automatically turns up the volume to Level 2 when a message comes in. That so few mentioned this tells me this is a welcome feature for most people, but for me, it was awful. We use our machine to collect messages silently; the last thing we want is messages blasting into our dinner or our sleep. Turning down the volume doesn't help--up it goes to Level 2 whenever a call comes in. Turning off the announcement monitor doesn't help; we don't hear the announcement, but we do hear the message. Fortunately I'm married to an electrical engineer who promptly opened up the unit and installed a switch on the speaker so we can turn it off and on. Not sure what I'd do if I didn't have that option...put it in a drawer? Put something over the speaker to muffle the sound? Hide it in the basement?

*It's difficult to see the blinking light on the new model. The highly visible on/off button doesn't blink when a message is left, just the number, which is inset. The old model was visible across a room; with the new model, I have to walk all the way up to it and look down into it to see if there are any messages. We solved this by placing a wedge beneath the unit, tilting it up on an angle to make it more visible.

I hate voicemail, and I'm not fond of the answering machines which come built into phones; we find the answerer dies first, and then you have to replace the entire phone, including any extra handsets if you can't find that model anymore (which is usually the case.) There are very few standalone answering machines left out there, so I'm willing to work with what I can find. You could certainly do a lot worse than this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars An answering machine that still beeps! Finally!, July 9, 2012
We had an answering machine that didn't suit us very well. There was no beep to alert for messages. The red flashing button was so dim you could hardly see it and there was no display to show if there were calls or not. So, I decided to get another that would beep. That appeared to be a bigger feat than I imagined. I didn't realize so many answering machines no longer had that option. I did some research and found this one from AT&T actually beeped. I was sold.

It arrived overnight! I was delighted with the sleek design and small footprint. It has everything I was looking for and more. It has a bright red light, a loud beeper (you can turn off the beep if you don't want it), a 60 minute message, and announces the calling phone number both when listening to the message and when screening calls.

One note: it comes with only one modular plug in. The cord to the phone outlet is hardwired and only about six foot long. If you need it longer you might want to purchase an adapter and a longer phone line.

I have been using it only a week but so far - so good.

UPDATE: After two weeks I have gone back into my settings and changed the announcing caller numbers both for incoming and on left messages. I found this to be annoying. It will be announcing the entire number as you are trying to answer the phone. It does not stop when you answer.

We have ours set to record a message after the fourth ring. It does not stop the answering machine from continuing if you answer after that fourth ring. According to the manual it is supposed to disconnect if you answer but so far it does not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great machine, great price!, November 13, 2012
As a lot of people have stated in their reviews, it's very hard to find a stand alone answering machine. I read the reviews for this one, but they were so mixed I wasn't sure what to think. I decided that for the price, it was worth the risk. So glad I took a chance. I just received it and it took me less than 5 minutes to connect to my phone and set up.

Once you get the wires connected, there's a large button that says SETUP. You press that and it guides you through everything you need to do. You can choose how many rings before the answering machine picks up. There's a date, time AND year stamp. If you want to hear the phone number of the called before you hear the message, you can do that, too. All the options are offered in an on or off format. I think other reviews may not have realized all the options they had available with this machine. As long as I have the volume off, you can't hear the announcement or the caller's message. If you turn it all the way up, you can hear it rooms away. The sound quality seems fine to me, too. I've had my husband call to test it several times.

You do need to start listening to the message before you erase it. I believe that's to ensure you don't erase a message in error. You only have to hear about a second of the message before you can delete it. It's not really an issue for me.

I definitely suggest you take a chance on this machine. I think it's really worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love My Answering Machine!, August 29, 2012
I purchased this answering machine because I don't use voice mail through my phone line. I like the features of this machine. I can hear who is calling if I want to and that makes it easy to screen calls. I can also turn that feature off if I want to. I like that it has a time/date stamp, it will also tell you the number that called if you like. I really love the versatility it offers for the price. I recommend this answering machine to anyone who needs one.

2.0 out of 5 stars Does what it promises..or so I thought., June 25, 2012
Elphy 2 (Kingston, WA) - See all my reviews
***This machine replaces a Panasonic that replaced another Panasonic...but the recent one did not "beep" to let me know I had messages as did the first one. As the machine is at the end of the house in the office ..too large to have in a living room....it no longer served it's purpose...and it has always been difficult to understand messages left. This little machine was a perfect replacement. It sits nicely alongside the phone in the family room...easy to set up...beeps when there are messages...and those messages are easily understood. So far I find nothing wrong with this product and everything right.

***the above was my original review....but later when I got more than a 20 second messasge left on the machine the static came in and drown out the message. I read the maufactuer's comment but I have a clean line and no network to cause the static...it has to be internal. Unfortunately I did not discover it in time to return it to Amazon for a refund or replacement. Bummer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works better than some of the more expensive models., February 3, 2013
The audio it is clear and easy to understand, I've had some that I paid a lot more for they did not work as well. You can set it so it will ring up to seven times before the machine pics up, which is great if like me you tend to be slow getting to the phone. The only improvement I would like to see them make and I would be willing to pay more for, would be a battery backup capability so you don't have to reset the time and date every time the lights flicker on and off.

Bob Blum (California, USA) - See all my reviews
5 stars for the ATT 1740. It's perfect - all the more because I bought it today for 17 bucks at Radio Shack.
I was particularly thrilled because there were a number of Amazon reviews that panned its predecessor,
the ATT 1739. All the bad stuff they said about the 1739 is groundless.

I was not about to replace it with any cheap, modern substitute.

Works like a charm!

and cognitive neuroscience at bobblum.com (all free).)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little machine!, July 6, 2012
My husband and I are "old-fashioned" in that we would rather have an answering machine than voice mail. Our old machine was also an AT&T and it lasted for 17 years before our phone line got struck by lightning and destroyed it, so we went with AT&T again and are again very pleased. Very easy to program (a voice walks you through it), great value, small and light, message time/date stamnp, and it also has a default outgoing message that you can change to your own personal message or just keep on the default. Playback of messages is very clear. Very happy with our purchase!

Rate and Discover Movies