Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

on October 18, 2012
This AT&T landline phone with answering machine is great. The display is large, easy to read and very informative. It has numerous special features that you will love, e.g., recording detailed calls, announcing calls, speed dialing, etc. I highly recommend buying this phone. It is a very good product for the price. The best feature is that it does not require extra batteries for the base unit like other phones.
11 comment| 118 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 19, 2013
I purchased this phone system to replace an older AT&T phone and answering machine and separate caller ID box, that I have had since the mid-1990s. The older equipment actually still works. The reason that I bought this was because my mother had bought a similar system, but with all cordless phones (no corded phone in base). That system's caller ID will audibly (verbally) announce who is calling so you do not have to look at the phone. That is really cool! Since I actually had another off-brand phone that went bad, I decided to replace that with my old AT&T phone, and get this one because we like to have at least one corded phone in the house. Also, our old phone's speaker phone ran off of the phone line power, and has not been working as well since we use a VOIP carrier phone system that does not put as much power out to always power the speaker successfully. So here's my list of mostly pros and some cons:

PROS
- All-in-One corded phone with answering machine, caller ID, and cordless phone base (saves space from older separate devices)
- Large caller ID display and number keys on base phone makes it easy to read
- Voice announced caller ID and personal phone number directory (says what you enter in for known phone numbers)
- Plug in power provides a strong speaker phone on the base
- Digital answering machine is easy to use and announces the caller ID associated with the message
- Cordless phone displays and announces caller ID
- Can check answering machine messages from cordless phone
- Voice Mail symbol display on phones if you have a voice mail message on a separate voice mail system with your carrier (as we do)
- Cordless phone has a speaker built-in
- Can add many more cordless phones (purchased separately)

CONS
- No headset jack in the cordless phone, nor a belt clip (my other cordless phones have a jack to connect a headset for hands free use, including a belt clip)
- Speaker on cordless phone does not sound as clear as my other cordless phones (Uniden)

Overall, I recommend this phone system. It provides a lot of functionality for the money.
However, due to the 2 cons that I mentioned, I can only give it 4 stars.
11 comment| 89 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 25, 2012
I love having a corded phone in addition to a cordless. The phone is always there and you never have to worry about a dead battery. To me, this is the best phone scenario. The phone seems well built and good quality for the price. I'm delighted with this purchase.
22 comments| 64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 29, 2012
One of the best phones I've come across. So many helpful features. Worth every penny. No wonder everywhere i looked online for a cheaper price, it was never under $40 unless it was used...you won't regret it. The only reservation I have about it, is that the sound sounds a bit clearer on the base than the handset...but again u have the option to set it to treble 1,2, bass or natural sound. (I know, amazing)!!
on November 29, 2013
I was looking for a cordless phone/answering machine to replace our 10-year-old Panasonic (which was interfering with our microwave and wifi, had poor sound quality on the recorded message playback, and lacked features like caller ID announce). Since sound quality was important to us, I first went to Consumer Reports and found their most recent testing of Cordless Answering Systems (from October 2011). There was an AT&T model (84100) listed as excellent (top rating) for sound quality on both voice and message playback. When I typed this model into Amazon's search window, it offered me the chance to "See newer model of this item". Following that link led me to the CL84102. Since it had newer features that we wanted, and I couldn't imagine AT&T deliberately scaling back the sound quality on a replacement model, after reading mostly positive reviews here I bought it.

Having used it for six weeks now, it's clear that either (a) AT&T has indeed pulled a bait and switch on sound quality from the old model to its replacement or (b) sound quality in the land line phone industry has regressed so drastically over the past decade despite advances in integrated circuit technology (perhaps because they figure most people use cell phones and these things are just "backup devices" for the hopelessly luddite), that this level of "quality" is now the best of a bad lot. In any case, while the sound during message playback is somewhat better than our old (horrible) Panasonic's, the voice sound on the cordless unit is so bad that it's almost unusable except in speakerphone mode. Imagine a poor cat down in a 200-foot well purring out his last breaths and you've basically got it. That's on max volume. I can't imagine what possessed AT&T to consider this acceptable.

The voice quality on the (corded) base unit is pretty good, but has an unwelcome new aspect to it that we didn't experience in our old Panasonic. Your end of the conversation seems to frequently be in a kind of "voice activation" mode. This means if you breathe wrong into your mouthpiece, it cuts out the incoming sound completely. I have no idea what this technology is doing on a base unit, which should require no digital communication between your microphone and the actual phone line. I guess they tried to implement a two-way (duplex) call on a one-way (simplex) circuit EVEN on the base (corded) unit. Very annoying. I guess I'll learn not to breathe whenever I'm listening. It's interesting how technology sometimes trains us rather than the other way around.

The caller ID announce is nice to have, but I would guess we can only make out what it's saying well enough to guess the caller about 70-80% of the time. Still, that's 80% of telemarketers flouting the do-not-call registry that we don't jump up to answer now, so it's a step forward.

The 14-minute recorded message storage space is on the very short end of the range these days (according to the CR article I started my search with), which makes it especially disappointing that this model doesn't have a way of telling how much space you've currently used. Our old Panasonic had this - did someone un-invent that very simple capability too?

One more step backward from our tossed-aside Panasonic: after you've played any new incoming messages once, to hear them again you have to start from the very first stored message and cue forward until you get to the last one. On our old unit, you could simply hit the "back" arrow key from the outset, and it would play the last call.

I suppose at this point I sound like the guy whining to his partner "why can't you do these things that my ex- whom I unceremoniously dumped could do?", so I guess I should note the things I like about our new phone. Um... it doesn't appear to be interfered with by the microwave, and I'm pretty sure it's not messing with our wifi. Though I have to point out that I don't think any newer model will, since the industry has moved to a different spectrum region. Um... the black and silver looks super cool? Oh! The visual presentation on the base set is eminently readable with big buttons and big clear high-contrast font on the LCD readout (very helpful for 50-year-old eyes). Now if only the buttons weren't so wobbly when you pressed them that you're afraid you're entering the number twice. On our old Panasonic...

Oh heck. I'm trying here. Maybe our old Panasonic wasn't so bad. I wonder if she'll take us back if we plug her in again and beg her forgiveness?
33 comments| 59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 11, 2012
This phone is very good. It has very clear reception. Easy set up as long as you go step by step with the manual. What I like most is that the cordless phone that comes with it does not need to be plugged into a phone jack. It plugs into any electrical outlet so you can put it anywhere. The only dislike is that I wanted to mount the main phone on the wall but it does not fit flush to the wall because the back does not have a cut out to fit over the existing wall jack but I was able to make it set OK for my needs.
on July 19, 2012
I seem to have a talent for misplacing our handets! We were down to one, and I ordered three new ones. I could not be more pleased. You need only pull them out and set the new handet onto the base and it syncs it right into the existing system! Quality phone, quality set. I would recommend these phones to anyone. If I wasn't convinced before, this did it. I had only to charge it and they are all up and going! It didn't hurt that the price is very fair. I thought that perhaps I could get a cheaper phone from Ebay, but not even close. After all my research, this price was still the best.

***added*** Came upon my review by accident and noticed I mentioned my exhaustive search and the price being the best. It is now, as of 3-28-14 listed as $21.51, when I made that comment I had paid $18. So, as to whether that price is still best, I don't know. Might be worth a check on your own. It was the best price by a landslide when I purchased it. On the bright side...phones still going strong!
on October 18, 2011
This AT&T extension phone was easily added to the system and works great. The price was good also compared to stores and the phone was in stock.
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on November 12, 2013
A total piece of junk. I ordered this twice as I could not believe AT & T could manufacture such junk. The first phone had a bad handset, sounded like speaking into a tin can on both ends. Amazon replaced phone with another one and the 2nd phone had the same problem. Unfortunately life got busy and I missed the return date by one day so cannot return. It's a terrible phone. Do not waste your money.
on August 7, 2013
I have only had this phone for a week but I am very please with the quality of sound, looks and price. It seems to do everything I need it to. It was important to me to have one phone that wasn't cordless for security purposes such as mentioning acct. numbers and one that was so I could take it with me around the house so I would not have to go back to the base phone. Very pleased so far."

This is an update on this phone: I am still very pleased with this phone after having it longer. I love that it announces who is calling and the big screen. It is clear and crisp and I am happy that I purchased this product. I bought a longer handset cord because I felt the one that came with the handset could be a little longer to give you a little more movement and flexibility.