Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

Style: BlackChange

on December 23, 2001
Okay, so you've got your four-line, 2.4GHz Digital Spread Spectrum cordless phone with 100-number memory and built-in answering machine. And then the power goes out. Or you loose the handset in the couch cushions. Or you forget to charge it. Or you can't even figure out how to turn the darned thing ON. That's what the Trimline is for. It's a cheap, reliable, easy backup phone. The adjustable volume makes this thing really loud, and the backlit keypad is a feature somehow missing in my expensive cordless. And I like having a phone that's tethered, so I always know where to go when it rings. The memory works, but I don't think the people who buy a phone like this will use it much (I have only one number in mine, plus the emergency numbers.)
77 comments386 of 391 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 3, 2004
I'm amazed by the number of people these days who own nothing but cordless phones. Now, I like cordless phones; they're an indispensable part of modern life. But, unlike a simple phone like this Trimline, most cordless phones don't work when the electricity goes out. This phone requires no battery or AC power, and has a lighted keypad, and a ringer on/off switch--all of which make it a nice bedroom phone for emergencies. The sound quality is good, and the volume is adjustable.
1010 comments372 of 381 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 2, 2003
The box says the AT&T 210 Trimline is the best selling phone of all time, and I can see why. It's reliable and doesn't have a bunch of complicated instructions and programming to follow. It has good clear sound, and the handset has adjustable volume, which makes it good for the hearing impaired. Cordless phones seems to be gaining in popularity, but everyone needs at least one corded phone in their house for in case of a power failure. This simple, inexpensive little phone is an excellent choice!
0Comment183 of 186 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I recently bought this phone for my father who likes his phones simple and easy to use. This telephone by AT&T works better than other, much fancier phones, including two expensive cordless phones with extra handsets, when I had to get a new phone for my new home. The construction of this telephone reflects great engineering; and it's very, very reliable for a price that's very inexpensive these days for a phone. Yes, it is corded; but when all you really need is a basic phone this really does the job.

The phone has back lit buttons which are desirable for those of us who are elderly or in any way sight impaired. The buttons could be brighter but the back lighting does improve upon no lighting. The phone offers well known features including "last number redial," and allows you to set the phone up with your telephone company so that you can use this phone with features like call waiting and three way calling. The phone has a mute feature, adjustable ringer volume and more. These functions never disappoint me. It also has a small knob that lets you switch between touch tone and pulse (rotary) dialing. I use touch tone dialing as most people do. I am particularly impressed that a phone in this price range even has a twelve number memory feature for speed dialing. Cool!

I highly recommend this telephone for people who need a basic phone at a cheap price that still has a few "frills" to like including memory speed dialing and call waiting. The extra features give you all you truly need to make this a well constructed telephone at a ridiculously inexpensive price. Sure, the back lighting for the buttons on the phone could be brighter; but overall this is still quite a good phone for the price. The phone takes up little space and it can even be wall mounted to completely save counter space in a kitchen or any other room.
0Comment111 of 113 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 18, 2005
I have two. I was pleased with the first one for a year and a half, but now the ringer works only when it is in the mood to. I have tried reprogramming it and double-checked that the ringer is switched on. Some days it just won't ring. The second one, I picked up a few weeks ago. It would be great if that one would allow me to dial the number nine, especially since the one number I want to be able to dial quickly from any phone is 9-1-1. I am not happy. Also, sometimes when it's on touchtone, it will only dial via pulse, so when I tried to do telephone banking, I had to run to another phone. No amount of toggling back and forth will get it to switch over to touchtone.

I was suspicious about the quality of this phone when I noticed the tricky marketing ploy: the phone has the AT&T logo - from the old American Telephone & Telegraph from which we could expect better quality, but AT & T has licensed its logo out to "Advanced American Telephones." These "American" telephones are made in China likely under the sorts of working conditions that would explain the shoddiness. I miss the days of quality manufacturing.

BTW, when I went to request a return number from DynaDirect (the company that ships this product), I was not pleased that the form that needed to be filled out was not a secure form. It asked for way too much personal info not to be an https site. I can't return the phone since after a week I threw out the box only to then discover that I had not yet dialed a number that contained a nine in it.
1414 comments238 of 251 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I recently bought this phone after several two more expensive models failed; his telephone by AT&T and Lucent works better than the other phones I bought when I had to get a new phone for my home. The construction of this telephone reflects great engineering; and it's very, very reliable for a price that's very inexpensive these days for a phone. Yes, it is corded; but when all you really need is a basic phone this really does the job. Besides, the fact that this is corded means you'll never misplace the cordless handset!

The phone has back lit buttons which are desirable for those of us who are elderly or in any way sight impaired. The buttons could be brighter but the back lighting does improve upon no lighting. The phone offers well known features including "last number redial," too. The phone has a mute feature, adjustable ringer volume and more. These functions never disappoint me. It also has a small knob that lets you switch between touch tone and pulse (rotary) dialing. I use touch tone dialing as most people do. I am particularly impressed that a phone in this price range even has a twelve number memory feature for speed dialing. Cool! However, as another reviewer correctly notes, when you program the phone to remember frequently dialed numbers, you need to actually dial the number--so hang up fast if you don't intend to speak with that person at just that moment! I don't care for that so I will take off one star for this.

If you want to take a nap without the phone ringing, just turn the ringer off by using the knob at the base of the phone. That's an incredibly useful feature!

I highly recommend this telephone for people who merely want a basic, inexpensive phone that still has a few "frills" to like including memory speed dialing and mute. The extra features give you all you truly need to make this a well constructed telephone at a rather inexpensive price. Sure, the back lighting for the buttons on the phone could be brighter; but overall this is still quite a good phone for the price. The phone takes up little space and it can even be wall mounted to completely save counter space in a kitchen or any other room.
55 comments127 of 135 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 9, 2000
There are no bells and whistles here---just a solid, reliable, phone that will always work when you need it to. No batteries run out, no annoying buzz in the background, no phones lost in the bed, under the couch, etc. Just a great phone. I've been using mine for five years and prefer it to my cordless by far. The only problem with this model is 1. the cord that connects the receiver to the part you speak into is way too short (buy a 25 foot cord to replace it) and 2. the 25 foot replacement cord always gets tangled up. But this isn't really a big deal.
11 comment89 of 94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 10, 2002
This is a magnificent little phone for the price. The sound is crystal clear. This phone is simply made and doesn't have a lot of complicated features that can make it difficult to use or tear up. This is just a standard old reliable phone. I also like the classic design. Everyone needs at least one corded phone because cordless phones do not work during a power failure. This AT&T 210 is an excellent choice for a corded phone. The lighted keypad is also a plus. I keep this phone in my bedroom, and it's so handy for waking up in the night and needing to make a call. I would definitely recommend this phone for any household.
0Comment47 of 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 6, 2005
I had no trouble programming long-distance numbers, and even my calling card number, into the phone (yes, the calling card number required two of the pre-sets, one for the phone number and one for the PIN, with a manual pause in between).

When I made an error during the programming phase, I had the same experience as the person who couldn't get it to program. The key is to press (1) program/mute (2) memory (3) the preset assignment (4) the telephone number (5) program/mute.

My intuition kept trying to override and press program/mute or memory in between the preset assignment and the telephone number, which caused the phone to both dial, and then not have retained the programming.

Hopefully if the person with the programming trouble tries once more, it will work.

My ONLY complaint about the phone is that I can't turn the volume quieter than the "normal" setting, the opposite of the phone it's replacing.
0Comment34 of 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 11, 2012
People, when you read others comments about the cheapness of this phone. Believe it!

I did not....I thought how could the ole ATT phone I grew up with be such a pile of junk.....BUT IT IS....

Returned the next day and Amazon refunded my money right to my account before I even shipped the package to them.

Problems:
TOO LIGHTWEIGHT/FLIMSY

LIGHTED BUTTONS TOO DARK

COULD NOT HEAR CALLERS NO MATTER WHAT LOUDNESS SETTING CHOSEN

Please do not waste your time. If you are over 35 years old this is not the phone you remember.
0Comment31 of 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse