4.0 out of 5 stars Yes. IT DOES WORK - Just be sure you understand it
I own this product and have done my own tests. Yes, your car does get hotter if it's parked in the sun. You have a lot of window surface area, so you have a lot of solar heat. Not to mention, the frame of your car absorbs heat as does the dark dashboard. What do you expect a little solar fan to do?

In my tests, I placed a thermometer/hygrometer in my car in a...
Published on June 15, 2010 by Conic Ellipse

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
I was disappointed that this highly advertised device basically had no impact on the heat buildup in my car. Lowering the window slightly does just as much good. There is virtually no air movement despite the spinning "fan" so it doesn't do what it claims to do. Save your money.
Published on July 30, 2006 by J. Ivey

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, July 30, 2006

1.0 out of 5 stars useless, August 7, 2006
Any claims made to the effectiveness of this product are blatant lies and false advertising. The makes of this product decided to use a cheap and small solar panel array that does not provide anywhere near enough power to run the fan properly. The solar panel only works if the unit is receiving 100% full direct midday sun. I have a thermometer in my car and I tested this, one day with my windows fully closed and the next day with the fan installed and the next with my windows cracked and no fan. Day one and two had the same result-about 110 degrees inside the car, day three had a result of 100 degrees inside the car.I currently have on order a similar sized but higher powered solar panel that I am going to use to replace the OEM and see how much better it will perform with an appropriate panel.

***EDIT***
This item will perform better if you replace the included solar panel with a larger, higher quality one. In order for this item to come anywhere near the advertised claims, you will need a solar panel the same size as the area that faces the car's window.

This review may only legally be shown directly on Amazon.com

1.0 out of 5 stars Do NOT waste your money!!!!!!, August 5, 2006
If I could give this product a 0 star I would. Not only does our local TV station do a "Does It Work" program that tested this product (and it FAILED). I have seen them up close and personal. Using them with automatic windows or tinted windows causes problems and they will not fit on every style window. You must shut the door slowly or it will fall off. It also breaks very easily.

What can I say, other than do not waste a dime on this product. It does not work. If you can get it onto the window and get it to actually work...then write a review and explain how you accomplished this enormous feat. No one I have encountered has been able to do this.

1.0 out of 5 stars They should call it Auto HOT!, August 6, 2006
I suggest that you do a search on this product on infomercial scams dot com.

Take a look at this review from Channel 2 (KDKA) in Pittsburgh, PA:

You've probably seen the ad on TV for auto cool - it's supposed to keep your parked car cooler.

But does it really do that?

Wouldn't it be great if there was a way to keep your parked car cool?

Diane Black knows all too well the misery of climbing into a hot car.

"I am a visiting nurse. I'm in and out of the car all day," Black said. "I hate using the air conditioning because it uses up all my gas. So I thought this little gadget for $14.99 would be the perfect thing."

After shipping and handling, $23 for Auto Cool as seen on TV.

The same sun that makes your car unbearably hot will keep it cool and comfortable thanks to a solar powered fan that blows the hot air out of your parked car.

But does it really do that?

On a hot day last week, we decided to find out. Inside the Auto Cool box, we get our solar powered fan and some weather stripping.

The only thing you need is a pair of scissors.

Now they tell you to check either the front or back window - whichever is getting the most sun.

We choose the back window and we're going to put the window down four or five inches.

The solar powered fan starts working the second the sun's rays hit it. No problem there. We hang it on the window, fan side in.

Next comes the weather stripping.

So we've installed Auto Cool. Now we are going to go inside, wait about an hour and check it and see if it's any less than 110 degrees.

While we are away, the thermometer slowly moves - in the wrong direction.

One hour later, it's 118 degrees inside that car.

We are stunned that auto cool didn't work at all. It just got hotter inside.

But just to be fair, we test one more car.

We make sure to start off the car is relatively cool. This time, it's 80 degrees.

We quickly install auto cool. By now, the temperature is 90 degrees.

While Diane is off doing hers, a patient visits. She says it will take about 20 minutes.

In the meantime, that solar powered fan is working we can even feel the hot air blowing out of the car.

Will it work this time?

Twenty minutes later - it's 110 degrees.

Maybe if we hadn't used Auto Cool, our car would have been 111 degrees instead of 110, but that high up, we don't care.

Not only does it not do that, this is the worst product we've tested so far.

Don't waste your money on this one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ours does not work AT ALL....., August 5, 2006
Our Auto Cool does not work at all -- the fan doesn't even spin and we left it in the parked car all afternoon. Please don't waste your money; we are wondering how much of a hassle it is going to be to return this thing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Auto Vent system, August 16, 2006
Must be in the window with direct sun. Cheaply made, very low air pull.

Best advertising campaign since salad shooter and chia pet. It will not perform to the expectations that the TV ad promises.

Glad that I did not buy more than one of them.

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't Work - tiny fan isn't strong enough, May 21, 2007
This seemed like a neat idea. I bought one and tried it out. It's got a wimpy little fan- you can't even feel any air movement on your hand. I ran it all afternoon in the bright sunshine with the car closed up. I even stuck a digital thermometer in the car to see if I could measure a difference. No measureable difference. I think it would ned a much larger fan for this to work.

1.0 out of 5 stars DON'T DO IT!!!, November 30, 2006
Don't waste your money. That's the short version. No stars for this P.O.S. Want more? OK - once you've fiddled around and fitted the rubber strips to your window, hooked on the device, rolled up your window (facing the sun, of course) you're now late for whatever it was you just parked to go do. Oh yes, and it doesn't do anything other than spin a joke fan that couldn't move a feather. I put my hand in front of it and felt nothing - no wonder my car still feels like an oven. We can't drive off with it on, as the wind noise is unbearable even after unhooking the unit. Why? Because of the 'sealing' rubber strip you've hooked over the top of the glass leaving a nice 4mm gap for the wind.

I thought I was smart going on ebay and buying two for the price of one. I would have been smarter spending the money on lottery tickets!

1.0 out of 5 stars Autocool is a waste of time and money, August 12, 2006
Moitozo "Bill" (Palm Springs, CA) - See all my reviews
The Autocool fan cannot cool an automobile. Think about it! If the fan is facing the sun so it can run, the sun is sending heat into the car through the very window out of which the fan is supposed to exhaust hot air. In any temperature above 70 degrees the sun wins and the fan(and the buyer)is the loser. Physically it cannot be proven by the manufacturers and the many sellers of this cheap piece of solar electronics in a plastic case that the item even works. For heaven's sake (and yours) dont try it in desert (i.e. Coachella Valley-Palm Springs) temperatures. BAD BAD BAD

Frankly, Amazon should have looked more carefully at this piece of marketing hype before offering it to anyone on their web site.

And be careful about returns - the "terms" of returns change form initial purchase to RMA request. UGH!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely worthless AUTO COOL System, November 8, 2006
Timothy J. Curtiss (Little Elm, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This product is absolutely worthless, especially in the hot Texas summer. The pitifully weak fan does not cool the car one bit. It is still blazing hot when you get inside. Don't waste your money on this over-hyped piece of garbage. Better to leave your windows down or park under a tree.