5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Korean Dramas ever
This drama has no sex, violence, or even foul language. But it is one of the greatest romantic dramas you will ever see.

Published on February 13, 2007 by Jaewoo Kim

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Sad
After sitting through 12 episodes and crying in each one, I decided to check Wikipedia to see how it ended. I could not sit through the remainder if the ending was sad. Sure enough, it was extremely sad. This movie, in my opinion, was a real downer. I deleted all the episodes.

If you want to see a thoroughly entertaining and funny movie, watch "Pasta",...
Published on July 18, 2012 by CaroleJ

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Korean Dramas ever, February 13, 2007
This review is from: AUTUMN IN MY HEART KOREAN DRAMA w/English Subtitles (DVD)

It was a huge hit in Korea, Japan, China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Phillipines, and even North Korea (smuggled in through China). This drama almost single handedly started the Korean Wave (Hallyu) throughout asia and has led the way for other Korean Dramas gaining a huge fan base and viewership.

Although this drama is now over 6 years old, the theme of this drama is eternal. You can watch this drama many times without being tired of it, which to me, is one of the best tests of a good drama.

The music of this drama is heartwrenchingly beautiful. The soundtrack of this drama was also a big hit throughout asia.

So what makes this drama so special?

I believe the producers went through great lengths to depict true love. For example, the producers filmed the drama in a remote village where people have a strong sense of community and humanity. The village is surrounded by beautiful trees, clear rivers, and wide open spaces. It is not so surprising a love of innocence and purity can be formed between two people in such a surrounding.

The child actors in this drama were unforgettable. They were even better than their adult counterparts!

This drama propelled its 3 main actors into stardom in Korea. It also propelled one child actress (Moon GeunYoung) and one supporting actress (Han ChaeYoung) into stardom. Song Seung Hun (Joon Suh), was the veteren actor at 24 at the time. He was by far the most polished of the actors. Won Bin (Tae Suhk), who was only 22 at the time, also acted well. Song Hae Gyo (Eun Suh), who plays the main female character, was only 18 and it was her first role. Her lack of experience on center stage was little bit apparent in many scenes. But she still did a commandable job since her role was a very demanding and complex one.

Contrary to popular opinion, I do not believe this drama is overly sad. Although you will cry throughout this drama, it is only because the happy moments are so touchingly beautiful, and when sad things happen to people who were so happy, the sadness becomes more compellingly felt.

4.0 out of 5 stars Painfully beautiful drama depicting a Korean love, February 13, 2013
This review is from: AUTUMN IN MY HEART KOREAN DRAMA w/English Subtitles (DVD)
Autumn In My Heart is a profoundly sad and deeply moving story of one man's love for another woman amidst circumstances that continually drive the two apart. The overall plot contains cultural implications of incest even though, technically, no incest exists. This creates deep dramatic tension as the conflict evolves from a secret to common knowledge between family and friends. Romantic interests become confused and the relationship between main characters begins to deteriorate. The final resolution to the story's main conflict parallels the concept of fall acquiescing to the inevitable stillness of winter, which brings natural closure to the life that once was spring and summer.

My wife is Chinese and she first saw this series while living in Nanning, China before coming to America. She and her sister lived together while raising her sister's daughter, who was too young to follow it at the time. She tells me it is perhaps the most painful story she has ever watched and she and her sister cried incessantly through the sixteen episodes. Sometime later she watched it again, which proves its staying power in holding up with repeated viewings. My wife is not one to watch the same show over and over.

After arriving in America, she introduced me to Korean dramas. I was skeptical that I would actually enjoy them but found that some of them are really quite good. I've watched a number of them, my favorite are all of Yoon Seok-ho's installments, of which Autumn In My Heart is one.

Autumn In My Heart is the first of four serial dramas Yoon Seok-ho created in his Endless Love tetralogy. Each follows the seasons both thematically and symbolically. Along with Autumn In My Heart (2000), he also created Winter Sonata (2002), Summer Scent (2003), and Spring Waltz (2006).

It had been a number of years since my wife has seen this series at the time that I played the first episode on Netflix. When the first episode started and the opening theme song began, she put her little hands to her delicate lips and said, "Oh tian a!" ("Oh my God!") as her eyes began welling with tears. Just hearing the opening theme, which she had forgotten, had caused her to react. She remembered all the painful emotions attributed to this longsuffering series. We watched every episode together and she cried her way through it once more.

While she intensely loved this series, I liked it. I'll give you my perspective, as an American male. I've seen all four of the Endless Love installments. After seeing each one, to me, Autumn In My Heart seems less polished all the way around. The production quality increases as you work your way through the Endless Love series. My favorite was Spring Waltz, which I thought was excellent. My wife's favorite was this series, Autumn In My Heart.

With that said, I don't mean to downplay this series. It is very well done and a groundbreaking series in the world of Korean drama. It has many deeply moving scenes that will pull at your heartstrings. If you're moved by emotional serial dramas that are driven by love and relational conflict, then this series is worth viewing. If you like it, then you have three others to enjoy that, in my opinion, build wonderfully on the production quality, directing, character development, and acting. The soundtrack for each of Yoon Seok-ho's dramas is very well done and each has been released on CD.

Autumn In My Heart is a study in human emotion under intense emotional duress. It analyzes the deepest depths of the human condition and the feelings of personal loss. Profound and moving, it is a series that set a new direction for Korean serial dramas.

4.0 out of 5 stars what my mom said, November 25, 2008
This review is from: AUTUMN IN MY HEART KOREAN DRAMA w/English Subtitles (DVD)
got it in about a week, so great service. gave it to my mom. she said it was okay but not great, something to watch but not over and over like she did winter sonata.

5.0 out of 5 stars Autumn in my Heart, December 8, 2012
This review is from: AUTUMN IN MY HEART KOREAN DRAMA w/English Subtitles (DVD)
This series started it all for me...I've never seen or watched any korean drama until Autumn in my Heart and now I am forever hooked. The series was beautifully done...really sad at the end. But the love that they have for each other is truely what inspired this series. Wow, I wish I have two guys fighting over my love, lol. And also the love of the parents are so sincere and heart warming especially the mom.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Movie, November 25, 2012
This review is from: AUTUMN IN MY HEART KOREAN DRAMA w/English Subtitles (DVD)
Cried like a baby. This movie was terrific. I love subtitle movies. I recommend it to people who love to watch love stories and subtitle movies.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Sad, July 18, 2012
This review is from: AUTUMN IN MY HEART KOREAN DRAMA w/English Subtitles (DVD)

If you want to see a thoroughly entertaining and funny movie, watch "Pasta", another Korean movie. The actors are wonderful, there are many funny moments, and best of all, the ending is so satisfying and happy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Show, July 10, 2012
This review is from: AUTUMN IN MY HEART KOREAN DRAMA w/English Subtitles (DVD)
So, I have watched lots of K-drama's and have used the Korean verison of Boys over Flowers as my benchmark of a true 5 star show. I give this one a solid 4 out of 5. Since it is the typical young girl in love/ rich boy story line, I really liked it. It is very sad from the get go and remains that way. It's more realistic than the typical K-dra story line. I would recommend for any K-dra fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Autumn in my Heart, May 25, 2012
This review is from: AUTUMN IN MY HEART KOREAN DRAMA w/English Subtitles (DVD)
By far the BEST Love story I have ever watched EVER. Song Seung Heon was fantastic; so charming, so emotional, a romantic & just electric. I could NOT keep my eyes of his every line in the movie. I cried through out the entire movie. Thank you so much for the English subtitles. USAfan.

3.0 out of 5 stars this Korean drama was ... dramatic, July 19, 2010
Evan (Kapolei, HI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: AUTUMN IN MY HEART KOREAN DRAMA w/English Subtitles (DVD)
I thought Id give one of these Korean dramas a whirl for my wife. We also have a couple of boys 7 & 13 at the time. We were all hooked, and enjoyed watching the series. However, somewhere around disc 7 or so, the drama got a little too dramatic; too many barely missed connections, too many tradgedies, too many misunderstandings. Perhaps if you are a fan of these thats what its all about. The great thing for us is that we have new family soundtrack! Its amazing how many simple situations in life can become quite entertaining when accompanied by a few hummed bars of the Autumn in my Heart theme. Miss the bus? run deperately behind it arms outstreached while humming. Goldfish died? da.. da-da-da de da... etc, etc. So, Im probably not going to watch this again, but Id probably buy it again if I had it to do over. Your tastes may vary...

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, June 5, 2007
This review is from: AUTUMN IN MY HEART KOREAN DRAMA w/English Subtitles (DVD)
I loved this TV drama. It had it all-joy,sadness,love,and just all the emotions that make a show awesome. I would highly recommend this one to anyone who loves a good love story/drama.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›