4.0 out of 5 stars Aveda Pure Abundance Hair Potion
A very strange but cool product. When applied to your roots (they can be either damp or completely dry), it's supposed to add volume and texture to your hair.
Published on July 10, 2009 by Lauren Williams

2.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, not good
Published on April 11, 2011 by N. See

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Aveda Pure Abundance Hair Potion, July 10, 2009
The first few times I used it, I hated it. It's a powder in the bottle, but it liquefies on your hair and fingertips. It's sticky, and accidentally using too much leaves my fine hair clumped together and greasy-looking. The only solution I've found for that is to re-wash my hair and start over.
Used properly, it does add volume and gives my hair a "just been to the beach" appearance.
The bottle dispenses product through a single hole. I've found that trying to apply the powder directly to my roots often leads to the sticky, clumped up mess described above. Instead, I activate (i.e. liquefy) a tiny amount of powder between my thumb and one finger. I then pinch small sections of hair and smudge the product into my roots. The less on your fingers, the better. Like I said, it takes some practice to get it right.
I've read several reviews that cautioned against shaking the bottle. The product will liquefy in the bottle and then there's no going back. People seemed really worried about that, but the label states that liquefied product does not affect performance. Using my application method, it makes no difference whatsoever. I actually shook my bottle on purpose and now it's less prone to clogging than it was in powder form.
The bottle is tiny, only .7oz, but since you need so little it actually lasts a looooooong time. It's not inexpensive, but I think it's worth the price per use.
Overall, a great product if used correctly. My hair is very long and fine and this product gives me volume that I would not have otherwise.
I've heard it also doubles as a dry-shampoo, but I've had better luck in that area with baby powder.
Very much worth the trial and error required to master the tricky application.

5.0 out of 5 stars Aveda Pure Abundant Hair Potion Is Pure Abundant Magic, December 7, 2011
This review is from: AVEDA PURE ABUNDANCE HAIR POTION .7 OZ (Health and Beauty)
This is seriously the best hair product I have EVER found. I'm not one for fancy mousses or serums (however I probably should be), but this is one thing I really can't live without. I just stumbled upon it about a month ago when I was getting my bangs trimmed at an Aveda Institute.

Description of My Hair

My hair is super fine, the kind of fine you can't get away from. That, combined with my incredibly oily face and scalp, is just a disaster. I literally have to take a shower every day, sometimes twice a day if I'm going out, I've tried the every other day thing and my hair becomes absolutely disgusting. My hair is also embarrassingly thin- I'm twenty years old but I already use the shampoos meant for older women with thinning hair. So, of course, my bangs are also terribly embarrassingly thin, and become extremely oily by 6-7 pm everyday.

How I Use the Product/Product Results

A tiny, TINY, TINY sprinkle of this (as evenly distributed as possible) straight onto my bangs and combed through makes it look like I just finished drying my hair- NO- like I just left a salon. It makes my bangs soooo much thicker and super clean; the oily/separated look is completely gone. Granted some people don't like that effect, but when it gets later in the day for me it is absolutely perfect. WARNING though: too much of the products will make your hair look very oily and clumpy, especially on clean hair, so I normally save it until I need it. Your hair will also probably stick out at strange angles if you sleep with the product in, so if you're intending on spending the night and want to look presentable in the morning, I'd save the product for morning vs. night- at least until you can actually wash your hair.

As completely cheesy as this sounds, I really cannot stress this enough: this Hair Potion is literally magic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bye Bye flat hair!, April 11, 2008
Katherine L. Turner "fun gran" (Wolfeboro, NH United States) - See all my reviews
While I would guess that this product is not for everyone, it has been life altering for my baby fine, poker straight, flat hair. I wear my hair short and I apply it with the Aveda mousse on damp hair. I then blow it dry and style. I have had so many compliments. Even on a damp day, I can come back inside and fluff it up a bit with my fingers and I look decent.
Yes, it does make my hair feel different. Maybe a little sticky. You be the judge - feel silky and look flat or feel a tad sticky and look great.
I'm hooked.

4.0 out of 5 stars Strange and Excellent, May 12, 2009
The effects of this potion are excellent, long-lasting and impervious to both dry and humid conditions. Sprinkle the stuff here and there on the roots of your hair, rub a bit and you have volume. Not oily like pomade or crunchy like gel or hairspray. The texture is gently squeaky. And a little goes a long way (yes, its pricey in general, but all Aveda products are premium-pricey, right?).

The stuff is fascinating. In the bottle, its a powder, shake or touch it and it liquifies. Therein lies the only problem I have with this: dispensing it is tricky. You are supposed to shake the powder out through one very small small hole in the top, but two shakes clogs the little hole with the semi-liquidifed product. Much like a salt shaker in the summer! I found if you apply two shakes to your hair, then just squeeze the bottle lightly while upright to "poof" out the gooball in the hole before you shake again, you are good. A small workaround for great results!

4.0 out of 5 stars A little goes a long way, February 27, 2008
It's true that there's not a whole lot of product for the price you pay, but a little goes a looong way. I agree that it does make your hair feel a little sticky. I lift sections of my hair and sprinkle it right on the roots, then rub it to activate it. This stuff is more for special occasions - the volumizing tonic is much better for every day use (and doesn't feel so yucky).

4.0 out of 5 stars Aveda hair potion, December 14, 2007
I have baby fine straight hair and this does a great job giving volume. It's important to style hair first then sprinkle and 'scrunch' especially around the roots and wherever you want hold. Go light on the ends or rub in hands and use fingertips on curl. It's great for giving a 'pouf' at the crown. A little bit goes a long way. I have blonde hair and it does impart a matte finish which is fine for light hair. It's fun to work with. You can style by sprinkling in strips of hair and then 'crunch' to chunkify. A three prong comb helps to style. I'm addicted to it. Don't try to comb out as you may lose precious strands of hair. I wash out and then comb thru with conditioner.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best stuff for fine hair., August 17, 2011
This review is from: AVEDA PURE ABUNDANCE HAIR POTION .7 OZ (Health and Beauty)
This works best when your hair is a little dirty because it dries your hair. Only use a litlel and don't shake the bottle. I love this stuff and have used it for years.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, not good, April 11, 2011
This review is from: AVEDA PURE ABUNDANCE HAIR POTION .7 OZ (Health and Beauty)
This product is different from any other I've used. It's a powder that turns to liquid and that makes it hard to figure out how much you're using. It worked well the first couple of times I used it but after the 3rd or 4th time, my hair felt dry and strawlike. I don't think you can use it everyday. Just once or twice a week. I wouldn't recommend it. Too much money for something that doesn't work consistently.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT!, August 1, 2010
This review is from: AVEDA PURE ABUNDANCE HAIR POTION .7 OZ (Health and Beauty)
This is one of my favorite styling products. I recommend talking to a stylist about how to make it work best with your hair and what look you're trying to get. A little goes a long way and it's true....don't shake it. When used correctly, it give great results that last all day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Miracle in a bottle, December 11, 2007
I have thin and very flat hair. My hair dresser introduced this product to me and I am hooked! You can try teasing, hairspray, mousse, but nothing compares to the works of this potion. I highly recommend it for people that have thin/flat hair like me!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›