5.0 out of 5 stars Great protection for up to 3 computers
My daughter managed to download a virus on her computer while having McAfee anti-virus protection installed. I had to take it to a computer repair shop to remove it. Of course that was expensive. The repair shop advised me to switch to even the free version of AVG anti-virus protection. They told me they find it more effective than other more popular programs. I...
Published on February 9, 2011 by Gadgetgal

3.0 out of 5 stars Improvement over the Free version, but not without flaws
I have been a Free version user of AVG software since about version 2, but I have started getting tired of the product. With version 9 (or even 8 but not sure), AVG started an ad-ware campaign for the Free users. They have always tried to up-sell, which makes sense since they are a business, but when it was embedded in the management screen and in pop-ups, it became more...
Published on April 1, 2011 by Edward Walker

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but currently best of the bunch in anti-virus software with a clear lead over competitors, May 15, 2011
This review is from: AVG Antivirus and Antispyware 3-User 2011 [Old Version] (CD-ROM)
Over the years we've used Norton, Trend Micro and McAfee antivirus programs. Due to various unsatisfactory issues with these other programs, since 2007 we changed to (initially the free and then the pay-for versions of) AVG mainly because of its user-friendly menu interface and the fact that once installed and running, it's virtually trouble-free and very effective. We updated the AVG program in 2009 and it's been installed on four busy small-networked computers which variously run Windows7, XP and Vista OS with no problems encountered on any of them. The program is light on system resources and doesn't slow everything down as some AV programs are prone to do.

The 3-user, 2-year licence represents good value. Be aware that the 24-month clock starts ticking when the program is activated on the first computer, even if you install the program on the other machines at a later date.

Some notorious installation issues are commonly reported with AVG software but if you follow this procedure, you should be OK:

1. Don't use the disk. Instead, download the current version of `Internet Security 2011' from the AVG website. This will save you the tedium of having to subsequently download and install a ton of post-installation online updates issued by AVG since the disk was manufactured in order to get the program up-to-date before you can actually use it

2. `Register' the program online and when prompted, submit the `sales number' on the sticker inside the disk-box. AVG will email you a 'Key' to use when you install the program: best to print this email and keep a hard copy with the disk for use on subsequent installations on other machines

3. De-install ALL other anti-virus software from your hard-drive, including any previous version of AVG, and re-start your computer. You need to do this prior to installing the new version of AVG, as said new version will not do the job for you nor prompt you to do it, and the presence of older versions, or competitor programs, will cause problems with the new installation

4. Install your just-downloaded current version of AVG IS-2011 and, when prompted, enter the key number you received by email from AVG on registration

5. NB the `Quick' installation option is in fact not `quick' at all, but a FULL INSTALLATION. You may choose not to install the browser toolbar (unless you actually want to use the AVG browser as your default) or the search tool, as they will just double-up on tools already available in other programs

Then all being well, off you go.

Some users claim you need an up-to-date version of MS Office (including Outlook) for AVG 2011 to work properly, and that they encounter problems with earlier versions. However, we have encountered no such problems with our 2003 version of MS Office: it all works fine.

The 2011 version keeps the user-friendly menu interface of AVG 2009 and offers:

* Licence
* Online Shield
* Resident Shield
* Update Manager

If the component is up-to-date and active then a clear, simple green tick-box is shown next to that component. If you need to de-activate a component - for example the firewall - you simply move your mouse over the icon, right click and open it. You then have a list of options including de-activation or `emergency mode - block all internet traffic'. If you choose to de-activate the firewall, the program menu-interface warns you with a big red banner headline that you're `Not Protected!' until you return the firewall to default function, but otherwise doesn't interfere with what you choose to do. It's clear and unambiguous, easy and intuitive.

Extra features like `PC Analyzer' are available. You'll need to download this separately from AVG but it's free once you've registered and paid for the program, and quite useful. It then shows up in the menu-interface control panel with the other components.

You can set intervals for updates and scans to suit yourself, or initiate them manually at your convenience. Neither update installations nor system scans intrude into the normal operation of the computer, though if your computer has a none-too-powerful processor then the web browser might slow down a bit when the AVG program is scanning.

Overall I think AVG remains the anti-virus program of choice and despite some minor issues with installation (especially troublesome if you try to use the disk without de-installing previous versions of AVG or competitor programs), when installed and running it's trouble-free, light on system resources and very effective.

3.0 out of 5 stars "Installation Cancelled Due to Higher Version Installed", March 29, 2011
shaxper (Lakewood, OH) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been using AVG's free antivirus software for two years now and have always been pleased with it, so I was curious about trying the full version and seeing if it was worth the upgrade.

I guess I'll never find out.

I've attempted to install the software three times now and keep receiving the same error message of "Installation cancelled due to higher version installed". Apparently, it considers my free version to be superior.

I suppose I could just uninstall the free version and then install this version, but the idea that it considered my free version "higher" actually troubles me. You see, this is NOT the top of the line full version of AVG's anti-virus software. The AVG Internet Security package offers far more protection and is the version that you upgrade to when you download the free version and upgrade to the paid version. This software isn't even an option there. I honestly wonder if this particular software bundle is as effective as the free version. It offers a few more bells and whistles, but both the fact that you can't upgrade to it from the free version and that it thinks my current software is superior makes me pause.

In the end, it never really made any sense to purchase a physical copy of this anti-virus package anyway. You can instantly download the free version from AVG and then instantly upgrade to the full version if you feel the need. I'm not sure I ever saw the point in buying a box and CD, and this little glitch I ran into makes the experience even less logical.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product...., March 19, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have been using the free version of AVG for 3 or 4 years, but this was my first use of the paid version of their product. The paid version has more functionality than the free version. I am well pleased with it, and would purchase it again in the future.

Unlike some other anti-virus software (such as Norton), AVG is not a resource hog. It runs quietly in the background. I am not a technical person, but AVG is simple to use and understand.

I don't care for the PC Analyzer. It is offered as an option, but it is not included in the price of the program. There is a free 15 day trial, or it can be purchased for an additional $30. A friend of mine also has this AVG program, and mistakenly bought the PC Analyzer option thinking it was required for the anti-virus function. For those that do not read the details carefully, it can be a little deceiving. This review would have been a solid 5 stars, were it not for the "bait and switch" method of selling the PC Analyzer.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am a fan, January 3, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am not the most computer savvy person on the planet, but I know when my system runs slow. I had been running the Norton antivirus that came with my computer and I simply clicked and paid when it told me to pay. But a friend of mine told me that Norton can slow my system. So I dumped it and tried this one. So far I have been quite pleased. I don't get as many annoying pop ups like Norton was always doing for nonsense reasons. Also, I do notice a HUGE improvement with the speed of my system.

I haven't been using this for a terribly long time so I am sure it may take time to discover any flaws or amazing features that I haven't yet found. When I do, I will update. Until then, I would happily recommend this product with those disclaimers attached. "So far so great" maybe?

P.S. I don't know what the crash issue is that another reviewer spoke about. However, if I had read his review before I installed this software, I probably wouldn't have tried it! I am going to research it and see if it has been fixed, patched or whatever they do to make us all sleep better at night. I suggest you do your own research--as you can tell, I am just a user not a techie.

UPDATE: Still not a techie, but am noticing a lot of improvements with this software over some of the others I have used. I love the internet security features. Everything about this is so simple to use and runs very efficiently. I am now an avid AVG fan!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine Product, But Difficult to Install, December 21, 2010
Stephanie De Pue (Wilmington, NC USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
AVG Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware 2011 comes to us as a fine product at a good price. AVG has been providing fine anti-virus protection for some time: on the recommendation of our local computer guru, both my husband and I had been using the effective free version until we installed this (after first deleting the free version, of course.) We had found that, in contrast to several brand name anti-virus programs I have tried, the free AVG did not gobble up a tremendous amount of memory, nor slow the machine down to an unbearable degree.

But the installation process has a few oversights. To begin with, during installation, the program totally dominated my machine--I could do nothing else. Beyond that, I, though no great techie, but a somewhat sophisticated computer user, ran into problems. First up was, user was instructed to tell the program whether the machine offered 32 or 64 bits. (If you have a new machine with Windows 7 you have 64 bits.) But this, folks, is information we don't all know: the program should have offered a button that explained the concept, and how to go about finding the answer. Then it demanded an HTML browser: and I doubt every computer user knows what that is. I use Mozilla: I had to somehow know - or guess-- that that required double-clicking on the relevant icon in the set-up. I needed the Mozilla to install the system, and then had to close the browser--extra work! And I understand it is unusual for a program to require an HTML browser to install. An informative button would have helped. In fact, the setup was somewhat difficult, and could easily thwart an inexperienced user: a satisfactory set-up should be self-loading and self-executing.

The system's registration process was also a bit difficult; it was tricky putting in the license number, and, once again, some information on what was happening would have helped. The program did, however, update itself automatically after registration; it was nice that this didn't have to be done manually. But, once again, a popup box explaining what was happening, where we were in the process, would have been helpful. Finally, the system will bug the user mercilessly to run an initial scan after the installation process is complete - just try doing something else! However, it seems, fortunately, that this new AVG product has the same virtues as the old: it hasn't gobbled up great gobs of memory, nor slowed down our machines. But inexperienced users might need help with the installation.

3.0 out of 5 stars Major "goof" from AVG, December 9, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I had such high hopes for this as I have been an AVG customer for years. Previously I used the free versions, last year I used a paid version and loved it so I selected the new 2011 version to "keep me current."

However, shortly before I received this in the mail an article came out saying how users that upgraded to a particular version of AVG had a rogue update that caused systems to not come back up. Terrified me because AVG was always a good company, but when software goes out and renders computers useless it makes me, as a professional IT guy a bit worried. I did install this new version of AVG on a test laptop I had to actually use it since I had it and I'll admit the software appears to work fine. But, I also have started looking for alternative solutions and found after doing a lot of testing that Microsofts Security Center which includes free virus protection actually offers enough coverage for my computers at home and appears to be a lot less overhead on the computer, plus like I said its free.

For me AVG lost some trust by having a major update problem which crashed computers right before I received my order. Because of that I looked for alternatives and unfortunately for AVG found the free Microsoft Security Center, and after testing it proved to work just as reliably as AVG. (As a computer guy I have viruses to put on a system to test software response and both Microsoft security center and AVG identified the virus quickly.)

If you want a paid anti-virus, AVG has always been a good company and I've always been happy and previously I've always recommended AVG. But going forward I have to admit that it's slipped on my recommendation list. It is however still far ahead of McAfee and Norton.

And if your curious about this "goof" I mentioned. It happened to mainly impact 64 bit versions of windows (although some 32 bit could have been impacted as well),

Here is a description of what happened:

"Update 3292, which was released on Wednesday evening, required a reboot after installing. The only problem being that if you were running 64-bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7, that reboot resulted in the well-known Blue Screen of Death (BSoD).

The problem occurs regardless of whether you are using the free or subscription version of AVG. It seems to stem from a file not loading (\Windows\System 32\DRIVERS\AVGIDSEH.SYS) resulting in either a BSoD or endless reboot loop."

And here is AVG's response:
Here is AVG's response that was published around 12/2/2010.

"It appears that the problems are most prevalent in Windows 7 64-bit systems. This is because a wrong update file is being served into the product. We removed the update immediately after the problem was identified and will release a program to ensure that the fix is completed automatically as soon as possible"

4.0 out of 5 stars AVG Wonderful, January 20, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I had seen other anti virus programs installed on my work computers. They were hard to use and understand. When it came to my home laptop, I needed something easy to use and understand that would protect my computer from all that is out there when I go surfing. When opening up the program it is easy to read and understand. The program initially scanned my computer and found plenty of threats. For the price, I would recomend this product to any internet surfer out there.

2.0 out of 5 stars Inadequate Customer Support, February 11, 2011
On the basis of many good recommendations, I purchased AVG Antivirus + 2011. After loading the program, the license number was rejected. An error message said that the license number was not recognizable. I tried entering several times, making sure to follow instructions related to dashes, etc. No luck! Since the licence number was not accepted, the progam was not installed. When I tried to get a phone number to call the company, none was available. There was no live chat or tech rep able to help oline. An email address was provided, so I described the problem and waited for a response. The first response simply acknowledged receipt of my email, and a follow up email turned out to be a survey of their service. The third email offered a solution to the problem by instructing me to enter the license number "correctly." They repeated the instructions I had already told them that I followed earlier. Needless to say, I returned the program the following day and had to plead my way to a refund. AVG may be a good program for IT people, but the average computer user will have little to no help if problems arise. A disappointing experience.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good but could be better, January 6, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
A few years ago I tried to use the AVG free antivirus program but had a bad experience with it crashing my system. Needless to say that I was hesitant to install this version of AVG after that poor experience. I also experienced a frustrating installation procedure the software wanted to download an installer from its website. After installation I found my computer slowing down, possibly from the software's inistance at downloading updates. I think I will stick with Kaspersky.

1.0 out of 5 stars BAD BUSINESS!, December 13, 2013
I was having a technical problem with the AVG so I called the company. The man who answered the phone was from another country with an Indian or Arabic accent. He was nice at first, I allow him to take over the computer on-line to fix it, as we talked on the phone. He wanted to sell me a $300.00 thing (cant remember exactly). I said no thank you so he proceeded to mess my computer up right in front of my eyes and I could not stop it or him. He fix it so I could not get into my documents or E-mail contacts then he put porn pictures on my screen, he had complete control over my curser/computer. Some files I found but could not open. To end the story, I had to buy a new computer. Nothing was wrong with my computer until this AVG rep. took control. Because of this, I will NEVER buy AVG again for fear I may need customer service again !!! That was an expensive call !!! I buy Norton now.

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

AVG Antivirus and Antispyware 3-User 2011 [Old Version]
AVG Antivirus and Antispyware 3-User 2011 [Old Version] by AVG USA Technologies Inc. (Windows 2000 / 7 / Vista / XP)
$39.99 $19.99