4.0 out of 5 stars One of Nickelodeon's Better Efforts
This animated series from the mid nineties still stands as one of Nickelodeon's better efforts. It's not on the same level as the first season of Ren & Stimpy, but it's got nothing to be embarrassed about either.

Published 17 months ago by Theo

1.0 out of 5 stars Quality of product
the product arrived in poor condition
Published 2 months ago by Aval

4.0 out of 5 stars One of Nickelodeon's Better Efforts, July 16, 2013
Theo (Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aaahh!!! Real Monsters: The Complete Series (DVD)

The basic premise of the show is that there's an entire secret underground of monsters who live to scare humans. The show is centred around a group of three young monsters at a live-in academy where they've been sent to learn this skill. If that sounds like a rather prosy premise (and let's face it - it is), this is a show that nevertheless manages to make it work: mainly by virtue of its own densely grunge aesthetic. It may not be Ren & Stimpy, but it ain't Harry Potter neither.

For serious film and animation buffs, there's a lot to take in. For example, in a recurring role as Simon The Monster Hunter, Jim Belushi reveals himself to be an extremely talented voice actor. Tim Curry does the same in his role as the bug-like monster Zimbo. For those more specifically interested in animation, Charlie Adler, arguably the pre-eminent voice actor of the era, appears in what is essentially the show's starring role as Ickis.

Perhaps most interestingly, serious animation enthusiasts will notice a definite similarity in the music used in this series, and that of the adult animated series Aeon Flux. Not surprisingly, that's because the two share a common composer: Tim Blake. The unique sound he provides - a kind of absurdly operatic cacophony - contributes much to this show's twisted aesthetic.

Like any cartoon from days gone by, Aaahh!!! Real Monsters will doubtless pick up a certain number of sales from pure nostalgia. Fair enough. But even from a strictly grown up perspective, it does have more going for it than that.

It is a show you can watch for the first time as an adult, and still grow to love.

Theo.

4.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant surprise for the Halloween season!, November 25, 2013
This review is from: Aaahh!!! Real Monsters: The Complete Series (DVD)
First of all, let me just say that I am very happy that Nickelodeon and Shout Factory are basically releasing what I can sum up as love letters to us nostalgic nerds who grew up with the station and had fond memories of these shows when they were on the air. First, Rocko's Modern Life, then Angry Beavers, and now this, one of the classics from Klasky-Csupo's heydays.

Truth be told, I almost forgot the show, only remembering bits and pieces from it, but I like the fact that I now have a collection of the series to watch at my discretion and catch up. And just like the other two DVD sets before, it's presented perfectly. A simple open and shut case, with a flipbook style presentation for each of the DVDs. And on the DVDs themselves, there were no annoying advertisements that plague so many DVDs nowadays. You know what I mean - you have to sift through several ads for upcoming movies before you can watch what you want, as if you're not paying for the DVD already. Shout Factory does not have this problem, and I am so grateful for it.

As of this writing, I currently have all three DVD collections lined up on my shelf, eagerly awaiting the Danny Phantom Collection coming out in January. Shout Factory, keep up the good work, and please, don't change a thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Teenager LOVED it!, February 24, 2014
This review is from: Aaahh!!! Real Monsters: The Complete Series (DVD)
This is the entire series of the Nickelodeon animated show, "Aaahh... Real Monsters". It was a blast from my teen's childhood. She said that she actually enjoyed it more now than when she was little. Great purchase!

5.0 out of 5 stars Yep Real Monsters, February 20, 2014
This review is from: Aaahh!!! Real Monsters: The Complete Series (DVD)
My son loved this cartoon when he was little. I had to buy it for him even tho he is a grown man now. We'll have to share it with his children.

5.0 out of 5 stars My best friend got me this series for christmas, January 10, 2014
This review is from: Aaahh!!! Real Monsters: The Complete Series (DVD)
I'm glad I'll be able to pass on my childhood with this dvd with my 2 1/2 year old daughter now because today's cartoon suck in comparison.

5.0 out of 5 stars Before Hermione Ever Conjured a Spell..., January 22, 2014
This review is from: Aaahh!!! Real Monsters: The Complete Series (DVD)
Classic ensemble cartoon, which never got enough airplay. Good plots, memorable characters and enough grossness to appeal to tween and adult alike. Has a lot of Zagreb in it, which makes sense, considering the writers and animators.
I just pray they don't try to 3D it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great series, January 3, 2014
This review is from: Aaahh!!! Real Monsters: The Complete Series (DVD)
Received this series with no defects or damages. Best price on the net.Brought me back to being a 90s kid. They don't make cartoons like this anymore. Glad I have this to add to my collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, October 13, 2013
This review is from: Aaahh!!! Real Monsters: The Complete Series (DVD)
I preordered this dvd and it came on the release day! It was in perfect condition and was one of my favorite cartoons growing up. A must have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ahh!!, March 10, 2014
This review is from: Aaahh!!! Real Monsters: The Complete Series (DVD)
Great TV show, product came packaged neatly, and in excellent condition. Definitely a blast from the past for me, and something fun and new for the younger kids. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars smooth transaction. love the series, November 29, 2013
This review is from: Aaahh!!! Real Monsters: The Complete Series (DVD)
so glad I finally found the complete series I am an adult stuck in the 90s :) I cant wait for my son to enjoy real cartoons

Aaahh!!! Real Monsters: The Complete Series