4.0 out of 5 stars IT'S ALL RELATIVE

2.0 out of 5 stars Worth less than advertised
Published on December 1, 2007 by Chen Sun

4.0 out of 5 stars IT'S ALL RELATIVE, January 24, 2008
This review is from: Ab Rocket Abdominal Trainer (Sports)
As a person who, 25 years ago, could do over 2000 sit-ups in 1 1/2 hrs. I now find myself with much less energy and a more sedentary job and 60 years old. I have shunned all the other "hide-under-the-bed" exercise scams. I took a chance on this one and must say that the construction and theory are not bad in practice. For someone who wants to watch TV/listen to music/meditate while springing back-and-forth, I notice positive ab muscle tensioning. It's easy to sit there and rock; and before you know it you're rocking more and more, and easier and easier. Since the abs are the key to lower back muscle strength how can this tiny device, at a mere $100 hurt more than the first few days? This item will NEVER be under my bed. I'll wear it out and ask for one made from stainless steel! I think it's the best ab device available, if you need a device to motivate you to do ab exercises. Apt dwellers, this I recommend for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars great for really "out-of-shapers", March 25, 2008
K. Pruitt (Rome, New York United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ab Rocket Abdominal Trainer (Sports)
My husband wanted the ab rocket to help with his middle age "spare tire". I was more than happy to order it for him. It was reasonably simple to assemble and it ended up in the middle of the living room floor in front of the TV. It turned out our son and I always use it too, just cause it there, and it's fun. I'm one who never did sit ups because I could never keep my neck and shoulders in the right position. The ab rocket supports the neck and has handles to help pull up until you get those ab muscle strong enough to do it on their own. I'd also like to comment on the springs... I have seen reviews where folks were disappointed because the springs provided very little "resistance". I was under the impression that the spring with the most tension was there as an aid for the beginner & really out of shape (like me) and the more muscle you build in the abs the lighter the spring you would use... Anyway, our family has found the ab rocket a fun way to firm up our "core".

Additional comments a year later... One of the plastic brackets on the back of the ab rocket broke, so if you don't keep your legs out straight, the whole thing tips over. I'm afraid the thing just sits in our closet. I find the small bender type ball works just as well for me now. I still think ab rocket is a good idea and we did get our "money's worth" out of it before the bracket broke. The manufacturers just need to replace those plastic brackets with something more durable. Who knows, maybe they already have...

2.0 out of 5 stars Worth less than advertised, December 1, 2007
Chen Sun "WebAndNet.com" (Houston, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ab Rocket Abdominal Trainer (Sports)
This product does work the abs, as it facilitates sit-ups. But the upright backside with the rollers is nearly worthless. As I understand it, the backside with its rollers are suppose to massage the the back. This backside's frame's curvature will probably not fit a majority of users. So, these rollers will basically softly roll over your backside. Not my idea of a massage, and due to its fitting, only one roller ever touches my backside during actual use, and that roller doesn't do much for me. As compared to regular sit-ups, the product's seating design is effective; particularly, if someone has extremely weak abdominal muscles. Product is worth about $50. If you like a vinyl roller softly rolling across your back, product is then worth $100. I tried comparing it to an ab lounge. I believe Ab Rocket works the abdomen better, but the ab lounge exercises and stretches more parts of the body.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the Ab Rocker, December 17, 2007
DJM (Huntington Station, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ab Rocket Abdominal Trainer (Sports)
I love this product. The only reason for not giving it 5 stars was when I changed the "tension" setting I had to wrestle with it. Other than that I love this machine. I am trying to get back in shape after 2 pregnancies and hypothyroidism. Even my son (6) who struggles with sit-ups uses it...we take turns counting for each other! I would buy it again tomorrow. I own 2 pieces of equipement an elliptical, and this. Beats the gym and fits under my bed. LOVE IT!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not made for everyone, July 24, 2008
This review is from: Ab Rocket Abdominal Trainer (Sports)
I really can't rate the effectiveness of this product because I had to return it. But my recommendation is to NOT buy this product unless you are under 5 foot 10 inches tall. The instructions said it was very important to slide your butt back as far as it will go against the back cushion AND that your head must be against the cushioned head rest. I am 6 foot 3 and the head rest fell about even with my lower neck (if you position yourself in the seat according to the directions). In order for me to get my head against the head rest, I had to slide my entire butt off the front of the seat. I hope this helps potential buyers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective for creating abdominal strength, July 20, 2008
This review is from: Ab Rocket Abdominal Trainer (Sports)
I am not a paid reviewer, that's for sure. I looked at the Ab Rocket with a lot of skepticism but with the simple hope that it would work as advertised. This product does work if you use it right. Initially, I approached it from a typical sit-up perspective, but that wasn't the right way. This is good for crunches, not sit-ups. It makes them easier and definitely more fun. Watch the accompanying video and they'll show you how to use it correctly. Actually, I didn't get it till I saw my wife using it, then the light came on. So, first off - it does work. The other good thing is it really is lightweight and relatively easy to set up and move around. It's true as some have said here - the resistance coils do take more effort to change than I would prefer (I needed to use a pliers, actually). But I've had all kinds of exercise equipment and they've always been heavier, bulkier, and more difficult to manipulate than made to appear. This only weighs 10 pounds, so thankfully, this isn't like them. Is it worth $100? I say yes, because it isn't about the value of the materials so much as it is about the value of its effectiveness. Can you get anything else this effective for even near the same amount of money? Not that I've seen. So, if you want an effective way to create abdominal strength then I say this is worth the money they ask for it.

2.0 out of 5 stars looks good but disappointed, January 12, 2008
Lucas (Great Lakes, MI) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ab Rocket Abdominal Trainer (Sports)
The actual item looks good and the idea is great, but we were really disapointed with the quality of how it works. It comes with 4 different tension springs from lightest tension to hardest tension, and there clearly just is not enough tension in the springs to accomodate it. we are pretty much normal size people and when you go to " rock " backwards it should hold you so that it rocks back smooth. we used the hardest tension adjustment and it still dosnt hold you, it just goes straight back down. So we returned ours and waiting for a refund. you might want to try the AB LOUNGE SPORT which is supposed to offer a better complete Range of Motion. That is what we are going to try next & the price is a bit cheaper. (seen on sale for $79.00 at kmart website)hope this helps!

5.0 out of 5 stars It Works - If You Work with It Correctly, January 21, 2009
This review is from: Ab Rocket Abdominal Trainer (Sports)
What the Ab Rocket is suppose to do- and does, is help you do an ab crunch correctly, without putting undo strain on your neck, shoulders and back.

I fast-forwarded though most of the DVD (haven't had a chance to look at the Pilates section yet), and then simply work out while watching a Netflix - flick. As with anything else, you must pay attention to your form and do the movements correctly - or you're wasting time and effort.

I use the strongest of the springs (like some others, I wish they had another level higher) and do 50 crunches at a time - normally going to 500 total. It might seem like a lot, but doing them this way is so much easier on my back, shoulder and neck, that I don't mind putting in the extra effort. And yes, I do feel it!

The unit went together in under 5 minutes and I don't bother 'hiding' it between uses. Besides, this is another place the cats have taken over to sleep on when not in use.

I use the Ab Rocket in conjunction with the iBslender rocker. And as I mention in another review I have some physical health issues that need to be catered to: Fibromyalgia, scoliosis, asthma, and a shoulder that needs surgery (stretched out ligaments, it dislocates).. oh and I'm 51 too.

This unit allows me to work out, improve my health and not hurt myself further. I'm happy.

Strong Idea iBSlender Aerobic Stepper

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money!!!!, November 10, 2007
This review is from: Ab Rocket Abdominal Trainer (Sports)
First and foremost, this item is not worth the one hundred or more dollars. The 3 resistance stretch coils did not offer any or very, very, very little resistance. I was able to bend easily all the way to the floor no matter which resistance coils I was using. Truly disappointed. Also, after bending backward, you will use your own strength to bend forward, no matter how far up you want to go. The resistance coils will offer nothing by way of resistance no matter what your weight is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Good...Do Not Agree With Negative Reviews, February 29, 2008
This review is from: Ab Rocket Abdominal Trainer (Sports)
My husband and I purchased the Ab Rocket to tone up a bit. We are both very happy with it. It helps target the abdominal muscles without straining the neck or the back. I actually enjoy doing sit-ups again! It was easy to put together...the springs were not difficult. I would recommend this product to any one.

Ab Rocket Abdominal Trainer