5.0 out of 5 stars A different Christian film.
When I asked my gang what they thought of this new film starring Kevin Sorbo and Samuel Davis, they unanimously said, "It was different from other Christian films." And they mean that's a good thing. Abel's Field was well written, well acted and entertaining to boot.

Published 19 months ago by Allen R. Wachter

2.0 out of 5 stars A new movie staring Kevin Sorbo!
Published 19 months ago by Katie Garvin

5.0 out of 5 stars A different Christian film., February 23, 2013
This review is from: Abel's Field (DVD)

Among many good messages in this story, I was particularly touched by Seth's dedication to his younger sisters. My kids also pointed this out as one of the things that made Abel's Field stand out. So often, even in Christian media, brothers and sisters are portrayed as annoyances to each other. It was a nice change to see an example of what siblings should be to each other.

Allen liked that Abel, the Christian lead in the film, was not a perfect saint. He was portrayed in a very real way that all of us can relate to. Just like the average Christian, Abel was struggling to overcome his past and gain victory over the sin in his life while trying to live out God's will, share the Gospel and be a good example to those in his life.
Typically in Christian films we start with someone who is obviously lost and living a life full of sin... alcoholism, adultery, drug addiction, theft, anger... the list goes on and on. As things get worse the rebel comes to the Lord and he cleans up his act at last. In stark contrast, Seth is a good kid, working hard to do good things. His life, even in the absence of parents, is full of great character traits. But he is still lost and in need of a Savior. That is a message our world needs to hear. Even "good" people need to know the Lord.

5.0 out of 5 stars These films are getting better..., February 24, 2013
This review is from: Abel's Field (DVD)
I purchased this DVD simply out of a sense of obligation. If the Body of Christ fails to support faith-based films, every time we go to the megaplex it will be nothing but Naked Girls Part 2 and Blowing Things Up Part 3.

Using my incredible powers of deductive reasoning which are never wrong, I examined the cover and classified this movie as a rehashing of one of those Yoda and Luke Skywalker films. The angry kid learns important life lessons from a wise groundskeeper or trash collector or whatever.

Boy, was I wrong.

This time, Luke's anger management issues pale in comparison to the baggage Yoda is carrying. The story is complimented almost perfectly by the location. The small Texas town setting gives the film a "Friday Night Lights" kind of feel.

I won't name names, but I have sat through some truly awful faith-based movies. But "Abel's Field" is one of the best I have seen.

2.0 out of 5 stars A new movie staring Kevin Sorbo!, January 28, 2013
This review is from: Abel's Field (DVD)
I've seen Kevin Sorbo in at least two other movies, and enjoyed each of them a LOT. But, unfortunately, Abel's Field wasn't a movie I grew to like. I kept watching, waiting to grow attached to the characters or the story plot...but couldn't. The idea behind the story was a good one, but sadly it just wasn't done very well--with the story plot, screen writing, and even some of the actors.

Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought that Abel's Field was a Christian film. And while there a few times when Abel is seen in a field in what we assume is prayer, there isn't much praying until the very end when Seth finally prayers for God to fix everything And, above all that, I just couldn't grasp what kind of town/church/friends would let this young boy try to raise two little girls on his own. I mean, he was only 17! I would have thought the state would be all over this case. And it just didn't seem realistic that Seth could leave the two girls alone for such long lengths of time---he was working 3 jobs at one time!

As for mature themes, there wasn't much that I feel like I need to mention. The romance between Seth and Katie was sweet and cute. Katie's outfits were rather low and revealing in a few shots, but what surprised me the most was the plunging neckline the elderly lady at the convenience store wore. In my opinion, it wasn't at all attractive and something I would have rather not seen. So, be forewarned when those scenes come up---even though they were pretty humorous!

There were just too many aspects of this movie that I didn't understand or enjoy very much. My younger siblings like it, though, and it had good music. :-) As I said before, the idea of the story---a teen boy trying to care for and keep his sisters together no matter what---was really sweet. Seth's dedication to them was really commendable, and there are a few lessons that you can get out of this movie. It just didn't gel with me all the way. But I will be keeping this movie in the family library and, I have little doubt, my sisters will be re watching it sometime in the future.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes the heroes are on the sidelines ~ Abel's Field, January 27, 2013
Sunday, January 27, 2013
DVD Review Abel's Field

Left motherless by tragedy and abandoned by his father, high school senior Seth McArdle (Samuel Davis) faces enormous pressure as he strives to support his younger twin sisters. At school, he endures the daily bullying from members of the football team. At work, he struggles to earn enough money to make ends meet. At home, he has no one to turn to.
When Seth fights back, he's singled out for punishment and assigned to an after-school work detail under the supervision of the reserved groundskeeper, Abel (Soul Surfer's Kevin Sorbo). Seth is surprised to discover that Abel understands his struggles ... and his dreams. Abel encourages Seth to ask out popular Katie and even steps in to babysit so Seth can go out on the date. Yet as dark circumstances lure Seth toward a desperate decision, a reluctant Abel could be the one person who points him back toward the light.

Abel's Field
Kevin Sorbo, Samuel Davis
Sometimes the heroes are on the sidelines.

Rating: PG for thematic elements, brief violence, and a smoking image
How do you know the right way? (Seth)
It's usually the hardest. (Abel)

My Review:

"If I've learned one thing, it's you have to be honest when you're talking to God. Otherwise you're just going through the motions." --Abel ~ Abel's Field

Get the popcorn ready and settle in! This hometown can be changed by one person who decides not "to treat everyone alike." For not everyone is alike.
Put another senior boy in Seth's place. Fix supper, help two little sisters with homework, work two jobs to put that supper on the table, heat the house and keep the lights and water on. Listen to the little sisters ~ keep those pretty little smiles on their faces. Laundry. Senior paper. Grieve for your mother. Long for your father.
Let's add all the senior boys. For one day. Take turns for the month. What if this was your hometown? Would you see Seth?

Okay. Let's watch the movie. The scenery is wonderful, the townspeople real. You are swept up in this moving story of survival and obedience. Doing what you know to do; doing what you have to do. Seth and Abel are two unlikely friends meeting under unusual circumstances. Both being in the same place at the same time, doing what needs to be done. Mentors ~ for each other. Seth is working so hard at staying together with his little sisters. They are joyful. He is doing a good job. Against all odds, he is staying alert and following through. This movie storyline is deep and could actually be happening. Seventeen years old. Decisions to be made. Choose life.

This movie is very well made. The story is like watching life all day consistently moving. Marveling at Seth in high school, wondering how he gets everything done. A story to share; a story to treasure.

Abel's Field (Official Soundtrack) itunes
Facebook: Abel's Field movie
Cast & Crew: abelsfield

Kevin Sorbo and Samuel Davis play Abel and Seth, the two lead characters who strike up an unlikely friendship in Abel's Field.
Kevin Sorbo got his big break as Hercules, a widely-watched TV show.
Samuel Davis is an up-and-coming actor and a student at the University of Texas in Austin.

~*~ ~*~
A great film with a great message is a great way to engage your church's youth ministry. Ideal for a High School Movie Night or a Family Movie Night, Abel's Field will remind teens of the importance of making the right choices and having an adult they can trust to talk to.

Movie License Required for Public Showings
A license is required for any group showing outside of personal home use, whether admission is charged or not. Abel's Field is not covered under any umbrella license program (such as CVLI).
~*~ ~*~

*** Thank you to Flyby Promotions Blogger Network for sending me a DVD copy of the movie, Abel's Field. I received this product for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising." ***

5.0 out of 5 stars Breaking the rugged individualist, August 23, 2013
Wuchak (Eastern USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Abel's Field (DVD)
What a great drama "Abel's Field" is! Released in 2012, the story revolves around 17 year-old Seth (Samuel Davis) whose mother is dead and his father is no where to be found. He's forced to be the parent to his twin 7 year-old sisters. His cold half-brother is following in his father's alcoholic footprints. Seth is bullied at school by the football team and their bossy coach (Richard Dillard), but finds solace with a popular girl at school, Katie (Nicole Elliott), and -- surprisingly -- with the school's loner maintenance man, Abel (Kevin Sorbo).

Like all great dramas, "Abel's Field" captivates your attention in the first act and you find yourself in the world of the characters. As the story progresses we discover why Seth is mistreated at school, but it's thankfully not spelled out (it has to do with jealousy, rivalry and sectarianism, the moronic "Your not one of us" mindset). You'll notice, incidentally, that the players only confront & attack as a group and never alone. It's a microcosm of the mob mentality, not to mention they're too cowardly to attack one-on-one.

Three relationships are the focus: Seth's fatherly relationship with his sisters and his developing relationships with Katie and the mysterious Abel. Speaking of Abel, Sorbo is excellent here in an atypical role. His likable joie de vivre is completely absent in favor of a quiet, brooding spirit.

The message of the film is A+ all the way and the overt references to God and faith are refreshing, but they're not so overt to turn-off those who don't believe, so don't let this factor deter you if you're amongst the latter. This is simply an inspiring film for everyone, except maybe atheists (or perhaps them most of all, lol).

Those looking for a faith-based film that shows a conventional family environment might want to steer clear (not that there's anything wrong with those types of films; check out the excellent "Cutback" for a quality film of that sort). "Abel's Field" shows the awful truth of broken & dysfunctional families in the modern Western world and the negative repercussions thereof. Thankfully, that doesn't mean that there isn't any hope; but the proud individualist must be broken, both for Seth and Abel.

I also like the fact that the film shows that the mentors we stumble across in life are there to mentor us in one way or another, but we shouldn't make the mistake of idolizing them, no matter how great (or small) the mentor is, he or she is still a flawed human being who just so happens to be further on in their spiritual journey, at least in the area we need help in.

Another thing I liked: Just because someone's in the "mentor" role doesn't mean the "mentee" can't mentor the mentor in one way or another. And a worthy (humble) mentor will receive from the mentee when applicable.

One reviewer referred to Nicole Elliott, who plays Seth's potential girlfriend, as "overweight." Wow, nothing could be further from the truth; in fact, this isn't even remotely true. Check her out in the film and see for yourself. It's idiotic statements like this that drive women and girls into anorexia and it totally ticks me off! If anything, Nicole could stand to gain some weight. Regardless, she's uniquely beautiful, a refreshing alternative to the stereotypical hot blond cheerleader type.

The film runs 104 minutes and was shot in Thrall, TX, which is about 20 miles NE of Austin.

GRADE: A

5.0 out of 5 stars WONDERFUL MOVIE!!, February 27, 2013
This review is from: Abel's Field (DVD)
I LOVED this movie! It is SO refreshing to see movies that show good values, people helping each other, & people learning to ask for help, & learning that they DO need others in their lives. And NO smut, profanity...just great entertainment & great lessons to learn! Kevin Sorbo has been one of my very favorite actors since his Hercules days...which I NEVER missed. How great it is to know, now, that he is also a Christian, & not ashamed of it! I don't watch TV anymore, as I'm tired of the junk. Don't want it going into my mind/brain. HOWEVER, I recently learned of GMC (which used to be Gospel Music Channel, but is now a faith-based network that is VERY much WORTH watching! And Kevin Sorbo is on there, as well as other Christian actors. And...Touched By An Angel is on this channel. This movie premiered on GMC, & although I had ordered & received it from Amazon, I watched it on GMC. I'm so glad that I now have this movie in my bookcase...it's a keeper!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiration and Hope, January 25, 2013
This review is from: Abel's Field (DVD)
I knew when the opening scene of Abel's Field was a high school football game that I would love it! Football is the only sport I follow and have loved since my high school days. And who doesn't love a good sports movie?

I will admit, I was not expecting a whole lot from this movie considering the fact that I'd never heard of it. I was so pleasantly surprised by the whole plot and the way that it played out. It was not predictable and it just flowed along at the perfect pace. I was instantly engrossed in this story and while I have never seen Samuel Davis in anything else, I was so impressed by his talent. You will see a side of Kevin Sorbo he doesn't usually show and I liked seeing him in a serious role.

Faith is something that people struggle with when they lose the people and things that are most important to them. Seth McArdle struggles with this as he just tries to get through every day. An unexpected ally comes along and Abel has unbreakable faith despite a mysterious troubled past.

Most people can relate to heartache and struggle and movies that are about real life like this have the ability to really touch you deep within and think about your own life and faith. Abel's Field made me laugh and made me cry and left me feel inspired.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Movie, February 24, 2013
This review is from: Abel's Field (Amazon Instant Video)
I highly recommend this well done, superbly acted movie which champions family values. It is a Christian movie with a message of faith, hope and redemption. Many Christian movies are not professionally done, but are low budget endeavors. This movie isn't like that, but is professional in every way. For me, the most touching part of the movie was the love Seth had for his younger sisters and how much they loved him in return. Enough of Christian movies with the siblings picking on each other. Also his very special girlfriend and how she treats Seth and his sisters was sweet. The fact that the young man did not give up under such trying circumstances, with one nasty blow after another was also very touching. But as one reviewer so rightly commented, "Even good people need the Savior." At the end of his own strength, Seth finds him. The part of Abel, who is a mentor to Seth was also very well done. I won't give the plot away, but let you watch the movie for yourself and find out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Second Chance! An Amazing Strong Drama!, February 3, 2013
J. Sheffield "Johh B Sheffield" (NEWTON-LE-WILLOWS, Lancashire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Abel's Field (DVD)
"Abel's Field" is a Truly Amazing Strong Movie, one that offers what all search for so often in life for a Second Chance, it is very rare that I will give a full Five Stars for a movie but this is fully deserved, from the really strong script, great production and two amazing performance from two actors! First the established Kevin Sorbo best known for the roles of Hercules in Hercules: The Legendary Journeys, Captain Dylan Hunt in Andromeda etc, who does not have a lot of words to say but his part is so pivotal to the two main characters and the position their lives have developed into. Second is Samuel David a young actor that I predict a very strong future for who showed his real potential in a movie titled "New Hope" released last year, which is well worth checking out for. Samuel's approach to his role in Abel's Field shows the depth of his acting skills, a name to really watch out for.

The producers used the setting of a small town in Texas Thrall and what a first class choice it added so much to this film, no film sets all locations which added to the strength of this movie, one that I fully recommend, the story is strong many of meet difficult times in our lives, we look for a second chance and redemption!

Check out "Abel's Field" you will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great movie with a great message!, January 27, 2013
This review is from: Abel's Field (DVD)
Abel's Field is a wonderful movie with an important message:That no matter what you've done,God can and will forgive you and will help you learn to forgive yourself. The two main characters,Abel(Kevin Sorbo)and Seth(Samuel Davis)are brought together under unlikely circumstances and end up teaching each other these valuable lessons,but not before Abel's secret and Seth's desperate action threaten to destroy their friendship.The performances by Sorbo and Davis are very good. For Kevin,this is a very different kind of role-he really wasn't able to put anything of himself in it as he has done with other roles because to do so would not have made sense. Abel is a loner who keeps to himself and doesn't say much when he is around people and that is what makes the bond between him & Seth so unusual! I strongly recommend this movie-it could teach you something about yourself!

Abel's Field