Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: ABLAZE! The Mysterious Fires of Spontaneous Human Combustion
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

on July 6, 2009
Many self appointed experts try to debunk everything unusual without scientific fact at their disposal. I was called in as an expert witness in 1999/2000 for a court case where the head of the LA Fire Department Investigation for Residential fires stated that the only explanation was SHC for a residential fire in Long Beach. As the only engineer on the Defense team, I reviewed over 160 photos of the fire scene along with many depositions from witnesses and fire department reports. I sat through the court case and gave testimony. The victim was an elderly bed ridden woman. The fire lasted less than 4 minutes and was centered around her knees and thighs. In that time, over 5 million BTU's per minute were released cremating her lower body, melting the window glass in the room and collapsing a steel bed frame with evidence it was over 1,500 degrees in a narrow 3 inch area. The 8 foot tall flame self extinguished, but the fire department had the room hosed down 5 minutes after ignition. There wasn't enough oxygen in that room to release that much heat no matter what the "fuel" could be. We found no fuel source. A broken gas main could not do it. The floor was burned through three layers of heavy vinyl flooring spalling the concrete. A 20 lb. aluminum casting at the foot of the bed melted onto the floor. There is no explanation under normal scientific means. I could not replicate the fire using any non-nuclear means. It is still a mystery.
44 comments|20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 3, 2000
As a scientist working for the United States Government during the 80's I must applaud Larry's effort here. After aquiring my PHD in Chemistry I started working for the government during the Reagan Administration doing basic research into possible explanations for the paranormal. While defunking most of them, SHC was one of the more interesting to me. Larry provides clear insight using mostly interviewing techniques to elaborate. I may be biased due to my previous experience here, but I enjoyed this book as a scientist.
Ed
on March 25, 2012
I am a full-time firefighter and fire investigator and felt obligated to read this book. It was very interesting and informative but some stuff was a little complicated for me to understand or believe. The question of spontaneous human combustion is not absolutely proven at the conclusion of the book but plenty of food for thought. Also a very thick book requiring a little extra time to read.
on December 8, 1999
If there's one key element (besides fire) that this book by Larry Arnold is filled with it's FACTS! This man has dug into old archives and libraries, has interviewed not only people who witnessed these bizarre cases of flaming humans, but he also has interviewed SURVIVORS of SHC! Amazing and well documented throughout, Ablaze is a fascinating read! To an avid researcher of stange phenomena such as this, it is a welcome gift to us all because Larry has already done the work for us, and he covers aspects entirely unthought of by other researchers... the cartography of SHC and more! Mr. Arnold, and his book, is by far the BEST in the world of SHC!
on January 29, 1997
Larry Arnold drove my school bus for years. He was a very interesting person, using breaks in the school term (summer holiday etc.) to explore remote corners of the globe. He is a man with a passion about his subject and it's clear in reading this book.

The book is great. The man is great. I recommend it highly.
on February 5, 2015
I am in this book, and I can attest to the fact that it DOES happen. I still have no idea what happened to me, but I live with the scars and the fact that it did. I am not even sure I want to know. The mind blocks things for a reason. I was 19 years old.
on September 30, 2006
Larry Arnold asks the right questions and provides readers of his book a real window into the "twilight zone." It doesn't matter if one is a "bus-driver, butcher, baker or candlestick maker" what matters is that intelligent, research is done. Logical questions are asked and those who would dismiss spontaneous Human Combustion as nothing more than a "cigarette fire" are left with a feeling so uncomfortable they either drop the book in alarm or read and learn. Fascinating and thorough and it left me asking what really is going on? We may have answers in Physics, who knows. What I do know is that Larry Arnold has written a very well researched and entertaining book and he has taken "heat" for daring to write about a subject the debunkers would rather have people not look into. Spontaneous Human Combustion does happen and it happens to people who have lived through it! Read this and prepare to have your brain turned around to consider how these cases can happen especially when you find out how extremely hot a crematorium oven has to get inorder to consume a human body even then, some bone fragments are still left and have to be "ground" into powder. Fine paper wasn't burned next to some of these bodies that were reduced to "powder" while sitting in a chair. Why????
on January 9, 2013
PEOPLE/THINGS GOING UP IN SMOKE WITHOUT AN EXPLANATION. INVESTIGATION BY ARSON SQUAD FROM THE FIRE DEPT. NOT EXPLAINED. GREAT DOCUMENTED STORIES. SCARY TO THINK IT COULD HAPPEN TO ANYONE.
on September 6, 2007
I'm so very impressed with all the "cases" Larry has reviewed... He even found a little known one from my own hometown that has never been mentioned before in any publication I've ever read. Nan Mann
on August 9, 2015
Everything was fine thank you