Able to install on multiple computers? Just asking.. Will 1 package be able to be installed on multiple computers?
asked by CC on June 25, 2009
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 36 answers
A
votes
What happens if I buy and install this, but later I upgrade my PC? Will it not let me install it again because it thinks it's a different computer?
Michael answered on June 25, 2009

A
votes
No, it is licensed for a single computer. Multiple licenses are usually for corporate accounts and the discount usually isn't this deep.
. answered on June 25, 2009

A
votes
Usually, with an upgrade version it does not ask for a CD key, it asks for a CD. Also, they usually go back farther than they claim. For instance, the XP Upgrade disk says on the package that any version of Win 98, ME or 2k qualifies. But I used the Win 95 CD and it worked.

To install with XP you have to do a clean install. It doesn't let you upgrade directly from XP to Win 7. It will probably work like other clean installs using an upgrade disk. If you boot directly to the DVD (not CD anymore) with a clean hard disk it will ask you to insert the install disk that qualifies for the upgrade. In other words, you boot from the Win 7 DVD, and it will give a message that you must insert the XP CD. Once you insert the XP CD it will eject that and continue with the install. So, just having the XP key probably won't work. That is how previous upgrade disks have worked.
Joseph T. Reinckens II answered on June 26, 2009

A
votes
This isn't true. It was true for XP, but changed with Vista upgrades, and now 7. It won't ask for a disk, you need to have a valid XP/Vista installation on your target partition. There was a shortcut for fresh installs with Vista (basically install Vista w/o entering your serial, then reinstall with your upgrade key and it worked), but you need an installation on the target drive, even if you are doing a clean install.
Justin Nolan answered on June 26, 2009

A
votes
You must have purchased the Windows 7 Home Premium Family Pack. The package includes two disks only. One that has the 32 bit version of Windows 7 and one that has the 64bit version. You do not get seperate disks for each install. Instead you use the appropriate bit version disk one each of the 3 computers you are upgrading. I recommend starting with the 64bit disk. Then if it says it isn't compatible try the 32bit disk.
BW answered on February 15, 2010

A
vote
I've gone through 4 HDD on 2 different computers all using the same XP retail cd--I've just been calling the automated line for a new key on each install. Will this change with the Win 7 upgrade cd?
M. A. Burbach answered on June 27, 2009

A
vote
@kalip I would get another upgrade of Windows 7 and upgrade both the laptop and the other system. Homegroup and the enhancements to Networking make it worthwhile to have all your systems running Windows 7.
BW answered on November 22, 2009

A
vote
I want to install windows 7 on my XP desktop using the same disk I upgraded my VISTA laptop with. What do I need to do? Any information/help would be greatly appreciated.
Gary D. Lackey answered on December 20, 2009

A
vote
not legally, there isn't.
Private Joker answered on November 3, 2009

A
votes
yes you have to have a valid Xp or Visa witch have been activated on the computer your installing windows 7 on.
Spencer Tennant answered on June 26, 2009
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   Next ›