Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Sixx AM Fire TV Stick Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

Format: Paperback|Change

on January 3, 2011
This was not in fact the first CYOA. The first was 'The Cave of Time' by Edward Packard.
So why is 'The Abominable Snowman' being shown as the first in the series? Well... R?A. Montgomery (the author of this book) co-founded CYOA with Edward Packard. They were the Lennon and McCartney of CYOA, if you will (there's a good Wikipedia article about its history). Sadly, somewhere along the line the two went their separate ways and Montgomery, when reviving CYOA, seems to have written Packard out of the series' history. It's like McCartney deleting all Lennon's songs from the Beatles back catalogue!
If you are interested in acquiring the REAL first CYOA title, the classic 'Cave of Time', as well as other works by the author many regard as CYOA's best, don't bother with these CYOA re-releases. Instead you will have to go to Packard's 'u-ventures' website, where they have been repackaged, revised and expanded by Packard himself, and turned into really neat iPhone apps. Check them out. I definitely recommend them over the Montgomery titles - including this one.
55 comments|17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 5, 2010
Downloaded the Kindle version as a fun bedtime story for my child. The first couple pages had typos "...climbing in South American", "but what is is?" Further, the instructions say, "If you don't like your choice, press PREVIOUS PAGE to go back and decide again." When we selected PREV PAGE, it went to a different thread of the book instead of the choice page, as it should have done. Improvements would be great as these were really fun stories to read when I was a child, but the problems with the Kindle version put a damper on my enthusiasm.
on December 16, 2009
Back in the middle ages when I went to school the Choose Your Own Adventures came out. It was a perfect time for me and our school library couldn't keep the books on the shelves. This is the first book in the series and it is a joy on the Kindle. The navigation was easy, the pictures were all there, and the feeling of reading the book remained. I'm not sure I'll be buying the other books on the Kindle though. This was a kind of kitsch purchase for me. A fun walk down memory lane, but like other children books, not something I need to re-read or spend a lot of money on.

If you're like me and read these books as a kid and have a Kindle as an adult it's worth the couple of bucks to snag one. If you can trust your kids with a Kindle then they will probably enjoy this as well. And lastly, if you want a history of interactivity, then you would want to buy one of these as well.
Growing up as a reader in the 80’s, I naturally found and read some of the Choose Your Own Adventure Books. In fact, I’ve still got a few in my garage somewhere. I was thrilled recently to learn that they have been updated and are back in print for a new generation. I’ve read one of these updated books, The Abominable Snowman, and these books are just as fun as they were before.

If you’ve never read a Choose Your Own Adventure book, there are some things you have to know before you begin. First of all, you are the star of the story and the main character. Also, you can’t read this book straight front to back since the story jumps around the book. Every page or two, you will be presented with two choices. Decide which one you want to pursue, and then flip to that page to find out what happens next to you. Just keep going until you reach “The End.” Don’t like that ending? Back up and try again.

In this book, you are a mountain climber, one of the best in the world. You and your best friend Carlos have decided to go to the Himalayas and find proof of the existence of the Abominable Snowman, also known as the Yeti. Carlos arrives a few days before you, and by the time you arrive, he can’t be reached on the radio. What do you do? Choose carefully because your choices could make your career with proof of the Yeti, lead to an encounter with poachers, get you kidnapped by aliens, or give you a new blissful home in Shangri-La.

There are a total of 28 different outcomes based on the choices you make, so I’ve just given you a small sample. As you can see, this book clearly crosses into the fantasy realm, but that is much of the fun. You never quite know what will happen based on the choices you make or where you will end up.

When I read these books as a kid, I would stick my fingers in at various choices, using them as bookmarks so I could easily backtrack. After all, I had to be sure I read everything. I found myself using the exact same method as an adult. If it’s not broken, don’t fix it, right?

Of course, reading the entire book in one sitting can lead to whiplash at times. A character who is your friend based on one set of choices becomes your enemy based on another set. I don’t remember having that issue as a kid, but it was a good exercise in flexibility for me as an adult.

This series is the one time I’ve read a story in second person, present tense that actually makes sense. After all, the story is driven by what the reader decides to do. I never even thought about how unique it was as a kid, and it felt just as natural to be reading it as an adult.

The book is just under 120 pages, and it has pen and ink illustrations on some of the pages, which adds to the fun.

I didn’t think I’d read this book as a kid, but a few of the endings seemed familiar to me. I guess that’s what happens to books you read 30 years before. Anyway, I can’t speak to changes or updates to the story directly, although I did notice you are taking pictures on a digital camera. I know that wasn’t the case in the original version. There’s nothing here that is dated at all, so the updates were successful.

Reading The Abominable Snowman was a fun trip down memory lane to my childhood. If you are looking for something unique for the special kids in your life, pick it up today.

NOTE: I was sent a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
on July 8, 2014
I think I settled for reading this Choose Your Own Adventure book because it promised to be at least vaguely science fiction-related, being that it was about a mysterious creature and I expected to get to see it in my travels. This was another book where the endings were just sort of weird, and there were some strange stereotypes (you know, because if you're in Tibet, of course you're going to end up dealing with monks!). I don't mean that the endings were weird in a good way; they were just sort of disconnected or random. But at least there were a lot of DIFFERENT outcomes, and some of them didn't actually involve the abominable snowman himself so it actually sort of conveyed the feeling that he WAS a bit elusive.
I used to love Choose Your Own Adventure stories when I was younger, I love that my own kids can now enjoy them. This story allows the reader to choose what happens in the story - death, adventure, you choose. There are 28 total endings, which means basically 28 total stories! I have been reading this with my 8 year old and he loves that he can choose the ending that he wants depending on his mood!

What I really like about the book is there are a few blank pages at the end titled "Adventurer's Log" and a 10 question quiz - which for parent's is great to see how your children's comprehension of the story went. There are even pictures throughout the book.

In the book:
Secret lands visited 3
Catlike aliens 4
Dancing Yeti 5
Mountain peaks 6

I received this book to review in exchange for sharing my honest opinion.
on March 28, 2006
The Choose Your Own Adventure series is excellent to motivate your children and students to read. The book lets you make your own choices and find out what happens to your character. Kind of like a video game in a book. This particular one The Abominable Snowman is one of RA Montgomery's best and will be lauched on DVD in August of 2006. Imagine being able to make your own choices on DVD and in a Book that effect the outcome of you as the main character.

If you choose to lauch you adventure in reading, go to page 5.

If you choose to miss the biggest thing since Harry Potter, go to page 36.
on July 7, 1999
Back in its heyday, the "Choose Your Own Adventure" series was one of the best, most exciting series for kids there was. Especially good were the ones by Edward Packard. His colleague R.A. Montgomery wrote less successful efforts. This one displays his fondness for negative and often arbitrary endings, as well as for a sort of new agey bizarreness. Ace illustrator Grainger is always good, though I wonder to think that anyone would ever pay for a hardcover of this light text, when a paperback would do.
on December 30, 2014
As I loved this series as a boy, I bought the Kindle Version for my son, but had to return it. It claims to be fully interactive, but is in fact simply a scan of the old paperback pages. Completely unusable in this format, and probably should not even be offered by Amazon.
on February 28, 2011
--Characters--
Runal & the Yeti are well developed. They seem real, a sign of good character development.

--Artwork--
Excellent. The pictures of the Yeti are scary, and even the picture of Runal makes him come to life more.

--Story--
Excellent. Almost all of the endings, good or bad, are very entertaining. One thing that bothered me was that a few of the endings had nothing to do with the Yeti. Another of the endings was a little too unbelievable. But considering the overall quality of the story and endings, these are minor flaws that can be overlooked. Easily one of the best "Choose your own adventure" books I've ever read.