Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

on October 30, 2006
I highly recommend this for people who may feel in the beginning stages of wrist fatigue or experience soreness after computer usage. I thought I would try a product to help alleviate some general and lasting soreness I was experiencing.

First, it is VERY low profile. most people don't even know I'm wearing it. Secondly, I estimate i use my wrist 75% less now that I wear this product. It's cusp encourages you to let your hand rest in a nutral position and I quickly began instinctively to lift at the elbow while using my mouse and keyboard instead of constantly lifting with my wrist alone.

If you have REAL PAIN.. I would suggest a device that immobilizes... but if you just want to improve your ergonomics... give it a try.
on January 25, 2006
I have been using this product in an office setting and it seems to be helping with my carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS). I haven't owned it for a long time, but it seems sturdy enough to last.

The CarpalMate does help to keep my wrist in a healthful position while I type on a keyboard. It does not do so very forcefully, however. It also puts pressure on the inside of my wrist, which is exactly where my CTS causes the most discomfort. I have to wear the CarpalMate loosely, for this reason. It gives me better support when fitted tightly, but then the nerve discomfort starts instantly.

I have a large, heavy brace that extends halfway up my forearm. This is much more effective than the CarpalMate. On the other hand, I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing this monster during the day, in the office. The CarpalMate is small enough that I don't feel like a hospital patient while I wear it.

So, I use the CarpalMate every day. I have not found anything better for daytime use. I have tried to enumerate all of its faults, but I do find it very useful.
on September 1, 2004
I've been using the CarpalMate for probably 3 months now. It does help carpal tunnel syndrome; keeping you from bending your wrist in unfavorable positions.

It's probably one of the most comfortable wrist orthotics I've seen. Your fingers are free to use a mouse, track ball or the keyboard without hassle. It's even pretty easy to write with it too.

All in all, the CarpalMate is a fairly inexpensive investment that is worth the money. It's far better than your fingers falling asleep every couple of minutes.
on December 6, 2010
I have been using the Carpal Mate since 2001. I was able to get one at a local medical supply store back then. I used the same one for 6 years before buying another off Amazon. And now, I am getting my third after 3 years, just to have as a backup. In a word, it's an 'essential' item if you use computers on a daily basis. I say this because I can use it for hours on end without it being cumbersome or painful. I don't have carpal tunnel but before I got this I would suffer pains in my wrists after extended computer use. I didn't want to continue with the pain since I knew that the end result could turn into surgery. Since using this product I have never had issues with my wrists hurting. I've tried other braces and support devices but they are usually large, awkward, and/or painful to wear for extended periods of time. Most people never notice me wearing the carpal mate, it looks like an inconspicuous sports band from the top.

Care is easy, simply wash it from time to time and it works and feels like new. My only gripes would be that it does have a soft fabric palm rest and that can get gross after several weeks/months if you don't wash it (and use it all day every day like I do). It will also develop wear spots over time under the palm rest, but that is the eventuality of using a product like this day in and day out for years on end.

Overall it is a fantastic product and I hope to be able to have this as long as I use a computer.
on June 24, 2010
Not sure if I have carpal tunnel syndrome or de Quervain's tendonitis (more likely), but whichever it is, this wrist support has taken the strain off the area at the base of my right thumb, where I've been developing tendon &/or nerve pain over several months.

Easy to put on, easy to take off quickly, hand-washable. Leaves me with full range of motion of my fingers, so I can type, stretch my fingers (good exercise after working at the keyboard, tie ribbons (part of one of my jobs), stock wine bottles in horizontal racks (part of one of my jobs), and anything that puts a strain on the tendon(s) and the nerves around the base of my thumb, like twisting jar lids, grasping any item tightly or just grasping something heavy, like a mixing bowl, when unloading the dishwasher, etc.

I have two of these now, so I can leave one at work and have one at home. I wear them most of the work day and take them off when I'm relaxing or sleeping. The brace supports nicely.
on February 10, 2007
I'm a computer drafter and I spend 10 hours a day working with my carpal mate and it works great. I have been using one for over four years now. I pick up a new one every year or so. I like it because I can put it on and take it off easily and it adjusts easily.
on November 25, 2014
The pkg insert recommends wearing the wrap 24/7 for two full weeks in order to identify whether your issue is chronic or caused by a temporary flareup. I did this and discovered my pain was gone by the end of the 2 weeks. Have had carpal tunnel in the left wrist for over 20 years, so getting relief from a simple wrap was quite a surprise.
It also trained me on what Not to do in order to prevent flareups again, ie don't tilt your wrist Down > most articles I've read have recommended the Reverse, ie don't tilt your wrist Back/Up, so this was Bonus Info.
Very easy to navigate with it on, and very quick to remove for hand washing, etc. I even washed the entire wrap in my machine with the rest of the laundry (inside a mesh bag to prevent the velcro from snagging on clothing), and then air-dried it, wundebah!
on March 31, 2007
My wrist support arrived quickly. It is much more comfortable than one I have with a long metal splint. (That's the one my dr. recommended, but if I don't wear it, it doesn't do a lot of good.) I can wear the Carpal Mate on whichever hand needs support at the time and it doesn't restrict my finger movements. Since I often need the support when sewing, being able to use my fingers is great! I would recommend this product.
on April 24, 2014
I have mild carpel tunnel and hoped this would work to keep my hand straight working on a keyboard. Unfortunately, the design only keeps your hand from dropping down and I am returning them. Wrist has full action unlike a full hand brace that keeps the wrist from twisting. So I'm not sure this helps with someone that has carpel already. Too bad - it's low profile, not so noticeable and seems sturdy.
on June 27, 2015
I've bought over a dozen braces over the years, for bi-lateral carpal and cubital tunnel compression. These is no perfect brace. All I expect is some relief, some of the time. I get better results rotating the different styles, left and right. This design is unique, and is one I use daily for several hours. It really does let you "work about" better than most others.

Surprisingly, it is one of the few braces that give me some relief (carpal only) when I go to sleep.