5.0 out of 5 stars A great K-8 Resource
Published on February 10, 2004 by Stephen Armstrong

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh, I had to buy it for a class. Would not have purchased if I had a choice
The book was required for a Master's methods class and as such covered basics including lots of activities.

However, many of the activities seemed more like eyewash to impress parents and principles instead of getting to the point and moving along through the curriculum. Were I to use this kind of 'entertaining' lessons, I would never finish the required...
Published 18 months ago by Oldretiree

5.0 out of 5 stars A great K-8 Resource, February 10, 2004
Marilyn Burns' 23 years' experience teaching math is found in this great resource book. The first section is organized in NCTM strands: measurement, probability and statistics, geometry, logic, patterns and functions, and number. The second section (a little less than half the book) is about teaching arithmetic: number concepts, place value, addition and subtraction, mulitplication, division, fractions, decimals, and percents. Each concept has whole class lessons, independent activities (menu), and assessing understanding.
This is a teacher resource, not a curriculum book. Burns' approach is half-way in between the two poles of math education: algorithmic math and conceptual math. Her point of view is "practical," with the teacher in mind.
...

4.0 out of 5 stars About Teaching Mathematics, April 8, 2000
By A Customer
This book is required reading for a class I am taking called "Diagnosis and Remediation of Math Learning Disabilities" at Teachers College. This is a very nice book. Sometimes, I think the professors here make us buy too many books, but I have actually read and used this one. It has many fun games and activities for grade K-8. These activities engage their interest and/or make abstract concepts more concrete. I have used the activities as extra-credit projects for my 9th grade math class. Some of the activities are challenging, even for a ninth grader. If you bought only one book for the class, this would be it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource!, July 21, 2000
By A Customer
I just finshed a Marylin Burns week long workshop and was given this books filled with hundred of activities. I was impressed with the high level of math that could be pulled out of what at first impression looked like simple activites. These hands-on lessons required very little prep time and can be used at a variety of grade levels. This is the direction math is heading in our district and this resource is worth every cent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Math is fun?, September 30, 2004
I never liked math. I didn't really know how to teach it either. After reading this book, I feel more confident about teaching math and I actually enjoy it. I love this method of instruction and my students love it too. But be careful, after reading this one you will want the other mathsolutions.com publications! Burns rocks!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars About Teaching Mathematics, February 8, 2008
This review is from: About Teaching Mathematics, 3rd Edition, Grades K-8: A K-8 Resource (Paperback)
I love this book! It is a great resource with ideas for getting kids interested in math and what questions teachers should ask themselves as they teach. It also points out common mistakes students make and their thought processes for getting there. It is divided into sections by mathematical topics and also has dozens of lesson plan ideas, both for full lessons and those quick time-fillers. This is the most reader-friendly textbook I've ever had to read for a class--it's so easy to read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Worth the Money, October 9, 2010
My daughter is homeschooled . I did o.k. in school--But math for me got alot harder after 5th grade. I really needed a book that would give me info. on not only WHAT to teach but, HOW to teach. This book is going to be such a big help for me. My daughter was in the talented & gifted program at her old school. I want to make sure that she keeps on getting the straight A's that she was getting. This book takes some of the pressure off of me by giving me ideas, activities, and (really important to me) ways to assess my daughter's understanding of new concepts. Because if she doesn't understand it, she will in no way excel. Anyone that homeschools, that didn't get straight A's in math will benefit from this book. I paid $38 for this book and after reading it I would have paid alot more! Marilyn Burns is great!

5.0 out of 5 stars about teaching math - great, January 18, 2009
K. Perez (Bradenton, FL, USA) - See all my reviews
Marilyn Burns is spending this portion of her career thinking about intervention strategies. This edition, while not the most recent, still gives teachers the math background necessary to listen to students as they talk and write their way into understanding. Deep understanding of the math is critical for teachers, as well as the notion of a menu of math activities that will allow teachers to assess conceptual understanding, for students to choose math activities that engage them and record their thinking - both for themselves and the teacher. It is all about knowing what the student does with the instruction. We are charged with developing a generation of problem solvers, and this book sits with me every day as I coach teachers in their lesson planning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get this, get math understanding!, March 16, 2009
T. M. (Nevada, USA) - See all my reviews
A gem that helps students acquire math understanding! Fun games that are easily produced, help children build their own conceptual knowledge of math so they can apply it to real-life situations.

I'd throw out every math text book ever created & use this instead! We'd have a country of children with much stronger math skills!

I use this book a lot in my teaching! It, along with De Walle's book, are my mentors & partners in giving my students conceptual success!

5.0 out of 5 stars About Teaching Mathematics Resource, October 10, 2007
This is a timeless treasure of mathematical understandings generated by Marilyn Burns and her associates. These activities, coupled with hands-on training for teachers, can make a tremendous difference in the mathematical understanding of elementary and early middle school teachers. Most important in this edition are the addition of Burns' revised thinking on Teaching Arithmetic (part 3), and her compilation of discussions for 40 activities (part 4). These two additions have rounded this meaningful math resource into a powerful tool for on-going staff development.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good book on how to teach math from a problem solving point of view, October 14, 2005
Mark J. Miller (Belize, Central America) - See all my reviews
This is a good basic book for any primary school teacher of mathematics, or student wishing to become a good math teacher. Easy to read, I definitely recommend. It has become a good resource as I teach Math Methods to my university students.

About Teaching Mathematics, 3rd Edition, Grades K-8: A K-8 Resource