5.0 out of 5 stars A MODEL QUINTETTE, August 4, 2010
This review is from: It's About That Time (Audio CD)
The Hot Club of Detroit takes its inspiration from the great gypsy guitarist Django Reinhardt, but the line-up itself distinguishes the group from the QHCF. So instead of three guitars, violin and bass we have broadly two guitars, reeds, accordion and bass. Furthermore the HCD has cast its net wide for material, drawing not just on manouche sources, but embracing also Charles Mingus, Miles Davis, and Chopin. In addition there are compositions by lead guitarist Evan Perri, accordionist Julien Labro, and saxophonist Carl Cafagna. The result is an individual sound which is by turns thrilling, passionate and lyrical. Recording balance and sound quality is superb.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Hot Club CD Yet, May 5, 2010
This review is from: It's About That Time (Audio CD)
This is my favorite Hot Club of Detroit recording. The energy of the music is both infectious and captivating. Highly recommend...

4.0 out of 5 stars Looking Backwards, August 19, 2010
Michael E. Nader (Northville, Michigan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: It's About That Time (Audio CD)
The Hot Club of Detroit respects and understands some 1920-ish, 1930-ish music and recreates it with a kind of modern flair. Savvy, foot-tapping music by accomplished musicians.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gypsy jazz at it's best!, March 14, 2013
This review is from: It's About That Time (Audio CD)
I've meant to review this cd for a while. It's About That Time is my favorite of all their work.I've seen these guys live 4 times now and they just keep getting better. Evan and Julien are amazing writers who respect the era and feel of this music like they were born 75 years ago. It just grabbed me the first time I heard it and I appreciate it more as time goes on. All of their music is 5 Stars in my book. This one is 5+!!!!

It's About That Time
It's About That Time by Hot Club of Detroit (Audio CD - 2010)