1,397 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Unabashedly Happy Families
From Richard Curtis, the creative soul who gave us "Notting Hill" and "Love Actually," we have an R-rated romantic comedy that satisfies our need for the occasional outing that features unabashedly happy families, solid marriages and well-loved children. Plus, it boasts the most hilarious wedding reception I think I've ever seen.

A young man inherits a family...
Published 13 months ago by Jay B. Lane

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointingly predicable yet heartfelt
The jokes are poorly constructed and seem contrived, on the level of a situational comedy (sitcom), and the laughs are definitley forced but hidden at the end of this film is a heartfelt reminder that life is beautiful for it's randomness and uniqueness. You'll walk away feeling like you've watched a decent film with a great message and forget just how bad it truly was.
Published 8 months ago by Stephen T. Patterson

5.0 out of 5 stars Unabashedly Happy Families, October 18, 2013
This review is from: About Time (DVD)

A young man inherits a family trait that allows him to replay key moments in time and change them to his advantage. We come to laugh out loud whenever he says "Would you please excuse me for a moment?"

It features:
* Domhnall Gleeson ("Anna Karenina") is Tim, the fellow who can manipulate time, but who can't foretell some of the results. You can see the warm intelligence in his eyes.
* Rachel McAdams ("The Vow") is Mary, the object of his affections. This Canadian actress is no stranger to relationships with time travelers ("The Time Traveler's Wife"); but we laugh when her Mary insists she won't take her panties off for Scotland! (You'll love the scene.)
* Bill Nighy ("Blow Dry") is Bill's father. Dad is a cautious veteran of this phenomenon. This character is droll, wise, and a great father.
* Lindsay Duncan (LOTS of British TV) Her sweetly ferocious Mum fooled me. I actually thought I was watching the French actress Julie Delpy!
* Lydia Wilson (British TV) is Kit Kat, Tim's rambunctious sister who causes a LOT of turmoil.
* Mitchell Mullen ("RED 2") is Mary's father, Fitz, who is mentally out to lunch much of the time.

The plot becomes fairly complex so it can become a challenge to follow if you have any hearing problems because much of it is either murmured or whispered. The script is witty and warm but there were times I needed captions; I know I'll LOVE my DVD! Yes, I'll order this one from Amazon as soon as it's available.

Important Note: You'll be happy to know one of your colleagues contacted me and both the DVD and the downloadable (is that a word?) version have closed captions! Yippee!

5.0 out of 5 stars Favorite movie, November 20, 2013
This review is from: About Time (DVD)
I can't remember a movie that has ever touched my soul like this one. I laughed and cried. Wonderful movie

5.0 out of 5 stars SUCH A GREAT MOVIE!!! SEE IT!, December 4, 2013
This review is from: About Time (DVD)
LOVED this movie!! In my opinion there haven't been any good chick flicks out for a long time- either they're really crass or lacking endearment- both in regard to characters and plot. With that in mind this movie came thru where others have fallen short. Not only were the characters memorable and easy to root for but the plot itself was creative, funny, sweet and tear-inducing. I especially liked how the actor who played the main character is a normal run of the mill guy- felt like someone I'd know in real life (well aside from the time traveling of course...hehe). A definite must see!! I highly recommend :)

PS- My husband went with me (gasp b/c he doesn't like chick flicks) and he even teared up at the end and said it was "good"... that right there carries more weight than what I wrote above ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Unique and Quirky Tale with Heart, January 19, 2014
This review is from: About Time (DVD)
It's rare when a movie comes around that defies normal classifications. Here in "About Time" we have a romance mixed with a bit of fantasy mixed with a dose of sci-fi and the end result is magic. The story follows Tim, played by Domhnall Gleeson, who finds out from his father (Bill Nighy) on his 21st birthday that he can travel in time, something all men in his family are able to do. Of course, not fully understanding the ramifications of time travel he accidentally erases the recent chance meeting he had with Mary, played by Rachel McAdams, and as such he no longer has her contact information and she will no longer remember him at all.

It is fascinating to watch Tim move through events in his life with the realization that he could go back and fix them if he said or did something wrong. From the scenes where he goes back in time to his first crush to the scenes of his and Mary's "first time" we get to see a character in Tim with a lot of heart. The ability to move about in time could be used for some many nefarious reasons, but Tim ends up almost exclusively using it to try to make Mary happy and to check in with his father.

The bottom line is this is a movie that just needs to be seen. It really is part chick flick and part sci-fi which should make most everyone happy. One of the most original films I've seen in a long, long time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Richard (Love Actually) Curtis light romantic comedy, November 6, 2013
This is a charming romantic comedy with a message: value your life, family and friendships.

It's another movie from Richard Curtis, who specialises in this kind of feel good romantic comedy- "Love Actually", "Bridget Jones' Diary", "Notting Hill", "Four Weddings and a Funeral" were all written by him, and he directed "Love Actually" as well.

He is an expert in developing these types of stories in an engaging manner, as well as having a message.

What gets this story moving is a father's revelation to his son that they have the power to travel through time.

There are some comedic moments based on this plot device, but the story moves on to be a conventional romantic comedy- including the element of "boy gets girl; boy loses girl; boy gets girl back again".

There are several subplots to keep things moving along.

The performances are generally good- Domhnall Gleeson is convincing as the time traveller, and Rachel McAdams is charming as his girlfriend. Bill Nighy puts in another good cameo as the father.

This is an enjoyable "feel good" romantic comedy- ideal for a date night DVD at home. It has a happy ending, with a Richard Curtis life message for you (akin to the ending of Love Actually).

Is it a great film? I don't think so, but it is a charming light entertainment. I doubt you would regret seeing it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing message within the story, November 4, 2013
If you love movies such as: (500) Days of Summer & Love Actually, you will adore this movie! It's witty, charming, funny, and heat-breaking all at the same time. The cast is incredible and kudos to the director, Richard Curtis, for capturing the story in such a beautiful way. Love all the shots of London and Cornwall.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great Richard Curtis movie, December 31, 2013
Like all of his other movies, Richard Curtis makes movies like no one else. I loved this movie! I loved that is wasn't the typical romantic comedy, it also focused on family and other relationships. I lost my father 4 years ago in a plane crash, so perhaps that is why the relationship between father and son held such interest for me. If only we did have time travel. Anyone who has lost a precious person, knows that given the chance, you don't wish for money, fame and things. You wish for one more day. That is all. One more day. So yes, I got this movie and I can't wait to see it again and cry my eyes out.

5.0 out of 5 stars "I Just Try To Come Back To This Day Deliberately, Like It's The First Day" - Tim, March 17, 2014
Sheryl Fechter (Northern Illinois, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: About Time (Amazon Instant Video)
This brilliant and lovely movie, written and directed by Richard Curtis ("Pirate Radio, "Love Actually"), was quite a surprise to me. I thought it would be a Romantic Comedy without really reading anything about it prior to viewing it. It does have romance in it and the same with comedy although not altogether, this has a really original concept behind it. Kind of, if you only had one day left to live, how would you spend it? This is not the theme of the movie at all, it was how I was viewing it after about the first fifteen minutes to half an hour. What, or better said, who are the important people and situations that you should be indulging with your time?

I found that the mundane things in life started to look not so mundane, but maybe taken for granted; what we say, think, spend our time doing, where we go. This movie got to the emotions in me while touching my heart and made me appreciate the life I have and why. And, for me, a must own for my viewing library. The scenery (John Guleserian) of England was gorgeous, and popped right off the screen added along with a sweet soundtrack (Nick Laird-Clowes) with its heart-tugging songs just brought tears to my eyes at times. I am never disappointed with the soundtracks chosen by Richard Curtis. This also gives more atmosphere to the people oriented and uncomplicated story. I found the more I went over the 'hows' and 'what ifs' of the story was merely myself trying to make it complicated, and took away from the touching ride which it really is.

Tim (Domhnall Gleeson) meets Mary (Rachel McAdams) in a quite unconventional way and immediately she is the love of his lifetime. As simple as that really. His father (Bill Nighy) lets him know a bit previous to this that he has a special and unusual ability which encounters the men in the family. He can use this for good or for complicating everything, he tries both before he is comfortable with the direction which he chooses. To say anything more is really too much. This movie is such a delightful treat and a new spin on the romantic comedy that I haven't met yet. One can easily see that this one is from the heart.

"And in the end I think I've learned the final lesson from my travels in time; and I've even gone one step further than my father did: The truth is that I don't travel back at all, not even for the day ...", as Tim quotes this, his life is on course for the happiness that came through all he has experienced. Tim and Mary are quite happy and in love.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't say enough about this movie..., February 1, 2014
Donna F. Smith (Hudson, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: About Time (Amazon Instant Video)
I own and watch many movies - but I don't post a review unless it's something that really stands out. About Time is one of those movies. I won't spoil a minute of it - except to say that it's an amazing concept and story and the actors are refreshing and their performances are topnotch (Oscar, why-oh-why did you overlook this gem?).

I can't recommend "About Time" enough. Delightfully wonderful - 5 emphatically positive stars!!!

p.s. I suggest you purchase versus renting because you'll definitely want to view it more than just once - yes, it's that good.

5.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL - POSSIBLY MY FAVORITE FILM. EVER., February 3, 2014
This film was such a surprise. I expected a RomCom kind of thing - I was SOOOO wrong. And very, very happily so. I absolutely love Richard Curtis - and this beautiful film exceeded my EVERY expectation. It was so beautiful with humorous bits in just the right places. Some very difficult decisions the protagonist must make - he is a young man who does the right thing. PERIOD.

The film explores all forms of love - the most pure forms of love. It's absolutely wonderful. I loved Curtis's other films, but this is my favorite.

Actors were SPLENDID. Writing and direction sublime. Music perfect. Sets and costumes - ALL of it was a joy. A very sweet joy.

About Time