Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Baby Sale

The Above Joshua Tree 20th Anniversary edition

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 10, 2007 1:18:04 PM PST
Just want to be certain before i order the above, i am not sure but you haven't listed the rest of the dvd tracks which i hope are on the dvd too. Here goes: "Bullett The Blue Sky" Running to Stand Still, With or Without You, Party Girl, 40. A 40 minute doco
entitled "Outside It's America", With or Without You music video
and Running To Stand Still also music video, both alternative versions, please confirm?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2007 9:48:30 AM PST
bass boy says:
Let's hope the DVD is a complete concert plus extras, and not just the 13 tracks listed. If it is the entire concert, two CDs and a nice book, I'm going to fork over 47 bucks with a smile. I hope they did a nice job on all three.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2007 12:42:26 PM PST
The DVD has about 18 songs. But it is not the entire concert, there were 4 cover tunes that U2 played during that concert including the Beatles "Help" that are not on the DVD but all 18 U2 songs of that concert are there including "With or Without You" which is not listed on Amazon. Also no one is mentioning what the aspect ratio is (its not specified on U2's website whether it is 4:3 or 16:9, I would assume 4:3 based on U2's past releases prior to 2001 nor whether Dolby Digital 5.1 or 5.1 PCM is present, again I assume the worst and that only 2 channel audio will be present).

I'm also looking at the internet to see if there are any pre-reviews of how the re-mastering sound is on the regular disc. Is it worth it? We don't know. I bought the Springsteen Born To Run 30th anniversary Box and was dissappointed with the new remastering. So I'm holding my breath here.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2007 10:30:29 PM PST
Daniel good point, i must admit with the original Joshua Tree on cd
in '87 i thought the production at that time was very poor, if you compare it to the amazing production of the killer Def Leppard's "Hysteria" now that was state of the art and having bought their
20th Anniversary edition it's superb, and with modern technology,
and all other aspects it really should be if you will pardon the pun
"even better than the real thing" and some cd's now are mixed in
surround sound. But at least one good thing we get a double cd and a live in concert dvd a huge improvement on their first edition, but i am with you it hopefully will sound great and hopefully they have put a lot of effort into the new edition.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2007 10:53:49 AM PST
bass boy says:
The Joshua Tree wasn't a bad-sounding CD, except in the bass department. It's also kind of a "quiet" CD, hence the era before CD compression and remastering.
Let's hope the new one sounds great, without sounding completely different from the original vinyl LP. Thank goodness they restored the original (great) artwork to this masterpiece. The old CD cover was horrendous (the band was squashed and almost pixellated on that cover). :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2007 9:45:56 AM PST
El Grande says:
I have already written a review of the super-deluxe set for Amazon, but since it hasn't posted yet, I'll give you the quick and dirty:

The CD sounds better, but not drastically so. It's less murky and has better-defined bass, but it isn't a leap forward.

The DVD is in 4:3 with no DD/DTS track. The concert is very good but I am a bit miffed that they didn't remix the audio.

The other extras are nice, but unless you're an uber-fan like myself, you can get by with either the 1-disc or 2-disc versions of this reissue.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2007 11:12:37 AM PST
Thanks for the review. I might want to trade the deluxe edition in for the 2CD one and get the difference refund back regarding the deluxe edition, Its here and I haven't opened it up yet. Very dissappointing. This is the one and only time will I ever buy any deluxe issue or best of U2 CD's. Talk about the all-time Sell-Out band. They and the record company should be ashamed of themselves. I suspected this from the onset when the technical specs were not listed on U2.com. They should look into what their best pal Sprinsgteen does. Though the Born to Run CD remastering was so-so, the Documentary DVD and the that 75 London concert is Dolby 5.1 and 16:9 widescreen were the gems. You know Bruce paid a lot of money to the techs guys to culmuate all the foootage and get the best quality audio. A message to U2, stop being cheap and fleecing the fans, spend some money on R&D and get qulaified studio technicians.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2007 8:41:39 PM PST
DT says:
I just got the delux box, so I can answer your questions.
The CD audio quality: I'm not a professional, but the sound seems a lot more clear and crisp - with a "fatter" bass compared to the previous releases.
The DVD audio/video quality: not the best but I guess it`s OK for a bonus DVD. It also seems that both the concert and the documentary footage were produced for TV, hence the limitations in their quality.
The DVD includes: 1) the July 4th, 1987 concert at Hippodrome de Vincennes, Paris, France, 2) "Outside, it's America" documentary, 3) "With Or Without You" (alternative take) and ""Red Hill MiningTown" videos - and 4) an unannounced bonus.
The concert is as good as any other Joshua Tree stadium concert gets, the video and audio quality are OK (not Dolby, true, but definitely better than your average bootleg VHS to DVD transfer - after all, it`s a bonus DVD, not a separate DVD release, so it's OK, I was quite satisfied). The DVD contains pretty much the whole concert (18 songs) except for a couple of cover songs U2 played that night. So, Amazon listing is incomplete: Bullett The Blue Sky, Running to Stand Still, With or Without You, Party Girl and 40 are all there. Some people are surprised that there is no "Where The Streets Have No Name" in the concert - well, that's because, believe it or not, it wasn't played that day - which makes it one of the "noncanonical" Joshua Tree concerts (most of the Joshue Tree concerts started with the song).
"Outside, it's America" is sort of a band home video while on Joshua Tree in the US. I guess it was some of the "Rattle and Hum" footage which didn't make the cut. This 45 minute documentary is great for U2 fans - though, it may be not as exciting for casual listeners of the band. Among the scenes in the documentary are shooting and the canonical versions "Where The Streets Have No Name" and "I Still Haven't Found" videos as well as the rare "In God's Country" and "Spanish Eyes" videos, plus some scenes from the road: flying, buyng cowboy boots and hats, shooting for the "Time" cover, rehearsals and playing some americana in what looks like a pub in Houston, Texas.
Now, it's not in the main menue but if you fiddle with your DVD player remote you can access an unannounced bonus: The Dalton Brothers support performance in Los Angeles on November 18th, 1987. Who the heck are The Dalton Brothers, you ask? Why, Alton, Luke, Duke and Betty Dalton? It's a prank U2 played in some of their concerts: they dressed up in silly wigs, cowboy gear and dark glasses - Adam wearing a skirt, of course! - and pretended to be their own support band. The video/audio quility is not great, but it's still such a nice surprise for the fans of the band.

bass boy, it is indeed 2 remastered CDs, the (almost) entire concert plus some videos and a documentary, and a nice book (and some more photos) in a classy box - in my opinion, well worth the money (and I`m a poor graduate student :)).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2007 12:10:47 AM PST
abe says:
Is this an oversized package/box or will it fit in a normal DVD shelf?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2007 9:46:22 AM PST
bass boy says:
Hey guys, the box isn't much taller than a DVD box, if at all, but thicker than the your standard DVD case. It's more like a book. I bought one but I haven't had a chance to check it out. Can't wait. Best album of 1987, and one of the best four records of the 1980s.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2007 2:46:26 PM PST
A. Nawawi says:
Darechka~

Thanks for the tasty review here. I admit to being a crazy U2 fan so deluxe addition ...come to mama. LOL.

Looking forward to the Dalton Bros.

Again, grateful for this rocking review/preview. Can't wait for my mail carrier to show up!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2008 12:54:37 AM PST
" ...The CD sounds better, but not drastically so. It's less murky and has better-defined bass ..."

Which at times drowns out the vocals and makes the guitar tracks seem less vibrant. Sorry folks.

I purchased this item as I am a huge fan, but maybe someone, somewhere will get a hold of the original masters and give this album the treatment that it deserves.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2010 4:49:41 PM PST
I was trying to locate "The Dalton Brothers" performances on my dvd today, but I can't find it. Where is it? How do I view it? It seems to be very well hidden. Help please!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2010 5:53:04 PM PST
Lemme know if you find this tidbit. I'll listen to this next chance I get. I think I may have it paced away in a box in storage though.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  9
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  Nov 10, 2007
Latest post:  Feb 2, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions