Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Above Us Only Sky: Essays
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

100%

on May 11, 2009
This book by Marion Winik is wise, funny, and fantastic. Just a great read overall, and because it's a series of short pieces, it's easy to stop anywhere in the book when one is interrupted! Love her thoughts on motherhood!
on May 6, 2013
As a former 7th grade English teacher, I must admit the word "essay" brings back some memories of pretty rough reading! I had long forgotten the beauty and simplicity of the genre....Marion Winik is a master, and she re-ignited in me the passion for writing with "Above Us Only Sky". I live in the Austin area, so she also brought back some great flavors of my region. I have since ordered several copies to share with friends. THANK YOU MARION!
on October 2, 2012
Above Us Only Sky by Marion Winik is a MUST READ! Marion Winik is the perfect combination of thought provoking and hilarious. I love the title essay, Above Us Only Sky set in Austin, Texas in 1981. It is a great lesson in the pitfalls of youth. I also loved Reading this Essay Will Make You Look and Feel Ten Years Younger. I happened to be reading it in the waiting room for my annual mammogram. Sitting in the waiting room with several 50 plus aged women in fluffy white bathrooms added to humor! Marion Winik uses words like Van Gogh used paint strokes. I am completely hooked!

Above Us Only Sky: Essays
on December 15, 2005
Marion Winik is one of those rare and brilliant writers who makes the brave leap from real life experience to the written page with grace, humor, style, and enough grit to make it all surprising. My favorite chapter is the title chapter, Above Us Only Sky, which has about a thousand layers and levels of of emotion . . . just like people. Winik captures us at our best and worst, but also at all the in between places, those gray corners where most of us live, most of the time. This book throws a lot of bright hot light into those corners.
on February 16, 2008
Marion Winik sure has her sh&% together. I just love her, and the book made me feel so alive. Thanks Marion!