Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg Address Illustrated
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Hardcover|Change

on May 4, 2010
Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg Address Illustrated does what most history books (even great treatises) never manage to do - It captures the power and poignancy of the moment Abraham Lincoln rose to deliver what is one of the world's greatest statements on democratic governance and the human character.

Through Lincoln's own words and telling contemporary photographs, Jack Levin captures the raw emotion and historically charged atmosphere of an era when America was literally tearing itself apart. He goes beyond the commonplace telling of how Lincoln's address came about and what it came to mean, and gives us the sensory and emotional experience of an eye witness to momentous history in the making.

This book should be a cornerstone in every American's education about the times and events that have made us the nation we are today. It is also a telling reminder of what each generation must fight to preserve in order to give to future generations the legacy of American exceptionalism.

I can't recommend this book highly enough.
22 comments| 107 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 4, 2010
I cannot do this book justice with just some words on a screen... I am 27 years old and it takes alot for me to get a lump in my throat, but this book has done it as I sit here at work paging through this treasure. Over my life, I have read the words that Lincoln spoke at Gettysburg, but none have so deeply penetrated the depths of my soul as the format of this book. With each turn of the page comes another powerful line accompanied by another powerful image that reminds us that the Civil War was not some fable that took place in Ancient History. No. Jack E. Levin shows us that America, OUR America, OUR country, is not merely a geographical "place" on the globe, but rather an idea, a mindset, a unique human experience and that our history is one of uniquely AMERICAN character. This book should be required reading in ALL public schools. This book is not someone's subjective point-of-view passed off as fact. Quite the contrary. 'Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg Address Illustrated' is the words of one divinely-inspired President, accompanied by the incredibly detailed photographs of past Americans who carried out and who died for the belief in humanity's ONLY opportunity to live as God intended, freely. With this book, Mr. Jack E. Levin has created his second masterpiece - his first being the American Hero and Patriot, Mark R. Levin.
2424 comments| 77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 4, 2010
An outstanding tribute to a seminal event. Jack Levin's selection of hauting photos coupled with the immortal words of Lincoln should be required in all classrooms. Although I'm ashamed to admit it, I hadn't read the entire Gettysburg Address since high school. This book renewed my interest in the Civil War.

Also featured is a moving prologue by Mark Levin.
VINE VOICEon May 6, 2010
It is abundantly clear to me that the Levin Family has embraced liberty, freedom, and patriotism. Would that we all do this in our respective families!

This illustrated version of Lincoln's Gettysburg Address is remarkable in that it causes the reader to pause and reflect on Lincoln's words. Indeed, a reader who cherishes this nation will do so without much thought as to why, while a reader who does not value that which has been sacrificed will merely glance or gawk at the carefully selected pictures and art, and then proceed to pass judgment based on their prejudice of the preface's author.

The images and drawings bring Lincoln's words to life, and in equal measure remind us of what horrors await if our nation is torn asunder, and separated from our Constitution. Those that would have us adopt a new path based on some foreign model will utterly miss the poignant reminder that discarding the wisdom of our founders can only have one horrific outcome.

This is an excellent supplemental book for any family with children studying the Civil War or Lincoln. Those that enjoy Mark Levin's radio program will enjoy the window into his upbringing and the story of his father (and this book's creator), Jack Levin. Thank you both for your time and dedication to our great country! And a special thank you to Jack Levin for illustrating this important moment of history that staves off the erosive qualities of time.
on June 4, 2010
First, let me qualify this by stating that I am a huge fan of Mark Levin, his show, and KSFO radio. Just before Memorial Day I was listening to his show and he mentioned his dad's book. I was thinking I should buy the book for my 17 year old son, who somehow considers himself a socialist. Let him see what many thousands of others sacrificed for this country was my main reasoning. Shortly after the book arrived I decided to read it too. With all due respect to Mark Levin, who I think is one of the more brilliant conservative minds, I thought the book too juvenile for adults. Very large type words of the short Gettysburg address and some Matthew Brady photographs were pretty much it. For whatever reason, I thought the book would be a short study on the Battle of Gettysburg - what led up to it, the thoughts Lincoln may have had at the time, and the thoughts Lincoln had while writing and delivering his famous speech. What did others say or think afterwards? What was the Southern response to the speech? None of that was in this book. It was just a bit of Mr Levin's background and the large-type speech with a few Brady photographs - the end. I think I finished it in 5 minutes, and I'm a very slow reader. If I had to do it again, I think I would probably not buy this book and I give only an average rating.
on May 23, 2010
A very nice tribute to one of the greatest speeches of all time. The book vividly captures the spirit of the address, suffering of the divided country, and the enduring principles under which our nation was founded. I appreciate the work put into it and the careers of both Levins. I would have really liked a little more detailed summary of the battle than what is included, rather than an intimate preface and forward by the authors (which I appreciated too),(Seems like Mark described the battle in detail on the air, but I don't think that it's the one from the book), but it was very well done.
on May 12, 2010
President Lincoln's Gettysburg Address helped unify the United States, refocusing its citizens on freedom for every person, charity, and godly compassion. That's why radio talk show host Mark Levin's father, Jack E. Levin, created Abraham Lincoln's Gettusburg Address Illustrated.

This reproduction of the elder Levin's slender book begins with a preface by his famous son, Mark. Here, Mark tells us a bit about his father - a man of modest means who has achieved a great deal in his lifetime. The elder Levin, we learn, had the Civil War come to life for him while watching a parade where a single Civil War veteran in full Union attire appeared. Later, Jack Levin became a working artist. Wanting to bring American history to life for others, he conceived a book that would reprint Lincoln's famous speech along with period photographs, illustrations, and maps.

Jack Levin's succinct, original introduction recounts why Lincoln gave his now famous speech. It also offers details about various versions of the speech and why the author chose the particular version reprinted in the book. (Because it's the only one Lincoln signed.)

Then, in large lettering, the rest of the book reprints the speech, overlaying the text upon actual photographs of Civil War battlefields, paintings of the Founding Fathers, maps, period drawings of battles, and period newspaper clippings.

The original speech, in Lincoln's own writing, is reprinted at the end of the book.

What I Like: Some will complain you can find the Gettysburg Address all over the Internet for free. But there's little doubt that having visual images to go along with text helps readers see the greater meaning of the speech. Perhaps such resources are available online, but I'd always rather have a book to hold and keep.

This volume, with it's mostly large type and full page period illustrations, is a good way to learn about one of the most important speeches ever made in the United States. Some of the illustrations are quite moving - authentic photos of the dead on the battlefield, for example, and men in uniform going about the daily business of the Civil War.

The speech is still relevant today, too, as Lincoln reminds us our country was founded upon God and liberty, and that Americans should strive to protect the union and each other or risk having "this government of the people, by the people, for the people...perish[ing] from the earth."

What I Dislike: True enough, most of the original sources for illustrations are in black and white, but some are in color (a painting of the founders, and a flag background, for example). Although it's nice to have an exact reprint of this 1960s book, some added color would have been an excellent addition.

Overall Rating: Very Good.

Kristina Seleshanko
Christian Children's Book Review
on November 5, 2014
(Re-posting my review I wrote on Goodreads)

A very short book. The preface by Mark. R. Levin is actually longer than the rest of the book. But that's not a problem here.

This book consists of the text of Lincoln's Gettysburg Address, which is a fairly short speech, originally delivered in only two minutes. The text is presented in large type, devoting one or two pages to each significant clause of each sentence. This text overlays period photographs and artwork, illustrating the specific points Lincoln makes with those clauses.

The result is a book that, although a very quick read, is able to bring to life much of the horrors of the Civil War that was fresh in the nation's consciousness at the time.

This should be read by all children learning about the Civil war, and by their parents.
on September 17, 2014
After purchasing Jack Levin's new book Malice Toward None: Abraham Lincoln's Second Inaugural Address, I had to pick up a copy of Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg Address Illustrated; I'm very glad I did. The selected pictures, in conjunction with Lincoln's poignant Address, leaves the reader with clearer, more vivid understanding of the sacrifices made by these men. Having read this, as well as Jack Levin's other books in the series, leaves me feeling, as in the immortal words of Lou Gehrig, considering myself the luckiest man on the face of this earth. It leaves me feeling so very lucky that my Great, Great, Grandparents made that long ocean voyage over 100 hears ago. That I may know, that I lived in the United States of America, when she was great. I pray, that when my daughters are my age, they'll be able to say the same. I pray.
on October 9, 2013
President Lincoln is one my favorite Presidents. Which is why I gave it a five star rating. I felt as if I was there at Gettysburg standing in that crowd in anticipation. I was not disappointed! The illustration was beautifully presented. I would highly recommend this book to your customers!