Absinthe Cocktails
Format: HardcoverChange
Price:$17.01 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was thrilled to come across this book. I had always loved absinthe as sort of a cultural obsession and I had quite the supply personally imported during the forbidden years here in the States. But it honestly never occurred to me there was much you could do with it except drink it straight or with water and/or sugar. But there are over 50 recipes in here!

When I know about something, I am kind of a snob about it, so I was cynical about the historical and cultural content of this book, but it was well done and well written and I may have learned something after all. It's a well put together, neat looking book that just begs for attention from your coffee table - enticing pictures and interesting designs throughout. Fun to look through for any fan of a good drink.

And the drinks are good. But this book is definitely not for everyone:

In preparation for this review - and my own curiosity - I counted my liquor this morning. I have literally 144 different liquors and liqueurs in the house that I brought back from all over the world, and I can only make a couple of recipes in this book exactly as the author describes. There are even a few things I hadn't heard of before. The drinks have been fantastic without much need for reapportioning or anything like that, but it astounds me just how much my bar is missing. It will cost quite a sum by the time I get all this stuff, but the research and shopping will be fun, indeed. But only if that kind of thing is for you.

Some of the less common mixers asked for frequently in the book are Peychaud's bitters (you can get them here on Amazon), Cherry Heering, Creme de Violette, St. Germain, Benedictine, and Ginger Liqueur.

Also note that these are all drinks for people that like good cocktails. There are no recipes in here for college kids who want everything to taste like pineapple juice (thank God). And please don't buy artificially flavoured versions of the mixer liqueurs...

Oh, and quite a few recipes require egg whites for frothiness. I absolutely love 'em, but some people don't, I suppose.

All in all, a great book ...if you're into that sort of thing.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon February 9, 2011
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
When I open a book of drinks recipes the flavor of a drink is subjective but there are some important things I want to see which are not. These include does the writer make the drinks sound fun? Do they seem to be writing for me and not some elite club in darkened hallways with secret handshakes and is it possible to approach the drinks for experimentation without having to lay out lots of cash? Thankfully in Kate Simon's "Absinthe Cocktails" the answer to all these is yes.

For those who don't know absinthe, it is a very potent, licorice flavored, green liquor that was popular with the `in crowd' of artistic communities, most famously in Paris, during the `belle epoch.' Having the good fortune to hit Paris as the cocktail was being invented and the French wine industry was cursed by blight it became the in drink for many people but it fell out of favor and was banned due to cheaper production causing brain lesions and a resurgent French wine clique putting pressure on the culture. It is now enjoying something of a revival in a new, safer version.

Absinthe Cocktails explains this in more detail without being pretentious and manages to keep a sense of humor about the whole thing. After all this is about drinking. More than just the history of the liquor and the horrors its faux impostors created, Simon explains how it acts and why many recipes in an Absinth book have only a trace amount of the liquor.

When it comes to the drinks themselves anyone with a halfway decent bar set up will be able to start experimenting right after getting a bottle of absinthe. Beyond the recipe themselves Simon includes a few words on the history of the drinks and suggestions for altering them slightly if you don't like the taste.

Some of the drinks do have some expensive ingredients and a few odd mixes, but she provides recipes for some of the more obscure mixers and gives ideas how to get around some of the more off beat ingredients. The bottom line is that you can experiment without a massive outlay of cash and if you like it and want to get further into the subject, you're enjoying yourself enough to be willing to pay this.

The book is nice to look at with good pictures of the drinks and easily read instructions, a co-worker who doesn't drink even enjoyed leafing through my copy because it was so attractive, but the black pages with white lettering have the disadvantage that you can't really make notes on them about what you liked or didn't. since this is my only real quibble with the book and many people may not mark up their cook books it really doesn't affect it.

The bottom line is that Simon has produced an attractive and informative book that will let the inquisitive explore the world of the "Green fairy" easily and without too much outlay. Whether or not you like the flavor is subjective, that Simon has written a book that is approachable is not. Her tone is light and avoids being ponderous and since the ultimate aim is to have a drink and a good time, isn't that a good thing?
VINE VOICEon February 3, 2011
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I got this book to supplement some existing books I have on the subject of cocktails.

Though I doubt there are hoards of anise-flavored spirit lovers out there, I happen to enjoy Absinthe. My first impression of the book was that it was a very attractive volume, suitable for display on the coffee table. Rich with photos, the book doesn't disappoint on visual appeal. There is a nice historical context presented about Absinthe, and tips on brands and glassware.

As with most cocktail references, there are some hard-to-find and/or expensive ingredients listed in some of the cocktail recipes, so it pays to be selective about what you want to experiment with. You will need to know up front that Absinthe is not going to be cheap, and don't expect to mix cheap ingredients with it. My local liquor store had Lucid and Pernod brands, as well as La Clandestine and Koruba, amongst others. I ended up getting Distillerie Vinet Ege Absinthe Le Tourment Vert, for whatever reason.

That said, I did try some of the recipes, starting with the classics (Sazerac, etc). I have to say that I am as impressed with the recipes as I am with the gorgeous book. If you are looking for a great reference book on Absinthe...this is it!
VINE VOICEon January 10, 2012
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
There are a few things to know about this book.

First, it is a coffee table book more than it is a practical manual of "mixology". This is evident from the beautiful photos and the fact that more attention is paid to style than to substance. In part, this is probably due to the fact that most people are more familiar with absinthe as a stylish drink than they are as a viable spirit.

Second, absinthe is still a little faddish. This goes with the first. Realistically, if you tell people that absinthe is your favorite spirit, they're likely to think that you're either a poser or that you're a lush. In reality, the complex flavors of absinthe mean that (for those inclined to spend money) it is as reasonable a drink to enjoy amongst company as a fine Scotch. While I have tried a few of these cocktails, I vastly prefer absinthe mixed with something simpler, like Tarhun (a tarragon-flavored soda) or with water. I roll simple, but deep.

With those things in mind, it's not really that surprising that I don't really think that actually MAKING the cocktails is the point. Rather, you are supposed to put this book somewhere obvious (preferably near your absinthe glass and spoon), and have people marvel at your worldliness. Then, when they suggest a recipe to try it out, you mention that you're just fresh out of a few of the ingredients. In this way, your bluff isn't called.

If you ARE forced to actually make some of these cocktails, though, there are two things to keep in mind.

First, many of the ingredients in the book are relatively expensive. If you are willing to drop a significant amount of money, you can try most of the recipes. Many of the liquers required were things that I have never even heard of. Most of them were things that I've never tried. Be prepared to use a lot of things only once, and be prepared to spend. As such, you should perambulate and dodge it as long as possible.

Second, due to the obscure nature of absinthe, most of the cocktails don't really USE absinthe. They involve glass rinses, and a few drops of absinthe. Does that get the flavor in there? Probably a little. But often times, unless you're drinking top shelf, the delicate flavors of absinthe are not going to come through. You might as well just grate a little fennel into your rye and call it good. And if you're dropping stacks on top shelf for every ingredient, well...I guess that you have the dime to spare to buy this just for satisfying your curiosity. But, if you are avoiding making these, as I have suggested

As a reward, though, if you do have to mix one of these, the recipes are generally very interesting sounding, they usually look beautiful and have luscious, exotic names (like Necromancy or Sazerac), and the few I've tried are pretty decent. That said, as Eric C. Sedensky said, substitutions would have been welcome. But, it is important to recognize that this is not really a recipe book so much as it is to showcase the purchaser's sophisticated palate and interest in the forbidden, so I can't over-fault the author for providing a book that Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar would be proud of.

(Finally, I am taking a star away from this for the recipes that say, "Coat the glass with absinthe and discard the excess." Never discard absinthe. Ever.)
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
In some ways, this is a very good book for the basic absinthe enthusiast, with lots of good information on buying and serving the once-forbidden liqueur. And many of the basic recipes for absinthe-based cocktails are excellent and can be whipped up by someone with a basic bar set-up.

However, in chapter four, which takes up half the book, it gets bogged down. This features lots of cocktail recipes from upscale lounges and formulated by swank bartenders, and frequently these drinks will only be something you can fantasize about. They frequently will either call for specific varieties of absinthe or for esoteric ingredients that will force you to drop a packet at your local specialty liquor store...if you can find one. And some only call for a drop or two of absinthe, or only enough to coat a glass. A few too many are merely drinks where absinthe is a minor flavoring agent rather than something truly incorporated into the drink, which may be an issue for some. It could be seen as an economizing measure but many of these drinks also have expensive ingredients so if you're going to drop a ton of cash on those esoteric ingredients you're really not saving much by rationing the absinthe.

I'd still recommend this to absinthe fans, but it's of limited usefulness.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon February 17, 2011
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I realize that this will sound odd but even though I'm a teetotaler (almost allergic to even the smell of alcohol) I've been fascinated by absinthe ever since I saw Lana Turner's Madame X drown her sorrows in la fée verte on late-night TV when I was a kid, so much so that for several years, I've been on the Oxygenée mailing list. I jumped on Kate Simon's Absinthe Cocktails because I not only wanted to see what else could be done with absinthe other than serving it in the traditional manner (sugar cube, spoon, fountain filled with icy water) but because I suspected (correctly, I was delighted to discover) that this book would be a proper release rather than yet another uncorrected proof. :)

First, let me say that it was a PLEASURE to be offered the opportunity to review such a well-written work; I was able to pretty much shift out of editor/proofreader mode into overdrive, and a smooth ride it was, too. Kate Simon not only has possesses exactly the skills needed for excellent food writing but she has a real feel for her subject as well. She manages to cram a lot of lore into the pages between the recipes, all of it fascinating. I wish she'd mentioned that "verte," as it ages, metamorphoses into a beautiful golden topaz color and I also wish that she'd called a spade a spade when she cited the proliferation of the bogus product being sold online for what it almost always is: Czech-made "absinth," a vile abomination marketed to ignorant consumers who think absinthe (which, technically, has never really been illegal here) is supposed to be an hallucinogenic. Perhaps this was considered non-PC, perhaps she didn't know. Well, now everyone reading this does.

Many possible treatments of absinthe are covered, including the aforementioned traditional spoon-and-fountain. Mercifully, the flaming sugar cube (another Czech affectation) is given the short shrift it deserves--it is evident yet again that Ms. Simon has done her homework. And Lara Ferroni's photographs are absolutely delightful--beautifully composed and shot, they show off The Green Fairy to her best advantage. I don't think there's anything I'd change.

If you have any interest at all in this legendary spirit, don't hesitate. Ms. Simon's and Ms. Ferroni's collaborative efforts will grace any bookshelf, serve as an engaging conversation piece, and will undoubtedly prove useful for readers who--unlike myself--actually drink.
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This book is absolutely the most exqusite book on Absinthe in the world !

Personally I wish it had been publised several years back when I was exploring the subject myself for a food interest.

The author here has certainly done her homework and prepared for the exam.

The photos in this book are gorgeous , wonderful and elegant. They'll pretty much take your breath away .

Now, keep in mind that Absinthe is not the cheapest bottle on the shelf....and that the additional mixing ingredients are not the easyist nor the lowest cost on the shelves either...........but for those that wonder , desire or may I even say DEMAND the fine , the unusual , the expensive , the hard to get , the top shelf....the best......then look no further.

It will be found in ABSINTHE Cocktails.

I give this book the highest recommendations available.

Buy it--because you will not be disappointed.
VINE VOICEon March 22, 2011
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Written by Kate Simon, "Absinthe Cocktails" gives present-day cocktail drinkers the opportunity to see what American imbibers have missed since the early 1920s. If you like Pernod, you will find a similar anise flavor in absinthe. Quite often, just a few drops of the liqueur are added to a complete drink such as the Dolores Park Swizzle. Some drinks, notably the Cherry Blossom Brocade, contain a large proportion of absinthe - combined with gin and ruby red grapefruit juice, which is delicious. For those who are not inveterate drinkers yet enjoy reading about cocktails (especially when accompanied by Lara Ferroni's colorful photographs), Simon's book will provide the ideal tonic.
on September 20, 2011
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
There are a handful of Absinthe cocktail books out there right now, this book by Kate Simon is my clear favorite of them all.

Allow me to elaborate why:

First the book is just really well made, a nice sturdy hardback, nice heavyweight glossy pages. It is tough to get the book to fold flat so you can read while mixing and the pages do show fingerprints very easily, so that is a tiny bummer. But over I like the way the book is made.

The primer and buying guide for Absinthe is well written and informative, there is something there for both beginners and for those who already think they know it all.

The recipes included in the book are divided into two areas "The classics" and the "The new guard" you can imagine which drinks go in which. The recipes for the classic drinks are very good and most often accurate to the originals, but occasionally altered a little when required. No crazy ingredients are needed or called for. Which means you should be able to make most drinks easily.

For the "New Guard" this book really shines. The author has found some really good recipes that either feature or uses just a dash of Absinthe for that little kick it can provide. And while there is often a call for a specific brand of absinthe, substitutions are offered. Which are greatly appreciated, since many other absinthe cocktail books are super specific on the brands you use, meaning you need $500 in absinthe to make all the drinks.

Overall I am very happy with the book, as I said before all the recipes are solid, both old and new. I am a big fan of the newer recipes as they really open up the world of absinthe for me, and they all tend to be quality drinks. If you are looking for a new absinthe cocktail book I recommend this one very highly.

If you have a question about the book feel free to leave a comment and I will try to get back to you. Thanks.
VINE VOICEon August 9, 2011
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The many cocktail books available run the gambit. Some are just thrown together by people cashing in on the classic cocktail resurgence. Others are well researched books put together by knowledgeable imbibers. Fortunately "Absinthe Cocktails" falls in the latter category.

The book starts out with a very brief history of absinthe, followed by a primer of various types available for purchase. As the alcohol market can vary, especially for a specialty product, there are links available in the book so one can be pointed in the correct direction to continue their research online. The final introductory section gives a brief description of other items a person may want to stock their (home) bar, and suggestions on how to approach making the cocktails in the book in an affordable way.

The next section of the book is dedicated to recipes, which are divided in to two sections: Classics and The New Guard. The classics section is well researched, gives each recipe a little history, or notes how the recipe may have been changed to fit the modern palate by great bartenders. The New Guard section has modern absinthe cocktail recipes designed by some of the top bartenders in the world. This is where it becomes apparent that the author goes beyond being knowledgeable about the subject, and shows that she REALLY knows what she is writing about. She gets recipes from some of the best bars in the US: Drink and The Eastern Standard in Boston. The Alembic, Heaven's Dog, and (of course) Absinthe Brasserie in San Francisco. Death and Company and Clover Club in New York. Well, those are the ones mentioned that I've been to, and all are among my favorites. The remainder of the list I'm honestly going to use to seek out good bars when I go to cities I have not been to yet like Chicago or New Orleans (or when I go to cities I have. PDT in New York? I can't wait to check it out!). Oh, did I mention the obvious; that the drinks I have tried from The New Guard are delicious? They are.

I highly recommend this book to go nicely on the shelf next to the books by David Wondrich ("Imbibe" and "Punch"), Jeff Berry ("Sippin' Safari"), and a personal favorite (if you really like going off the beaten path): Maks Pazuniak and Kirk Estopinal's "Rogue (beta) Cocktails". Cheers!