5.0 out of 5 stars Computer Basics At It's Best
Published on January 28, 2010 by Danny V.

3.0 out of 5 stars Gift
I gave this as a gift to my mom because she wanted to be able to figure out her laptop by herself. She as stated that she has tried some of the things in the book and they do not work like it says. She has however stopped asking for so much help from me so I guess it's helping her some. I would recommend this book for people who may need a general understanding of how to...
Published 7 months ago by Hazel

5.0 out of 5 stars Computer Basics At It's Best, January 28, 2010
Danny V. (Victorville, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Absolute Beginner¿s Guide to Computer Basics (5th Edition) (Paperback)
I have been repairing computers, tutoring adults and assisting with teaching children in a K-6 environment computers. When anybody asks me for help learning, I point this book out and start them off with it. It has all the basics you need to know. You can use it for quick reference and to learn how to get around on your computer. The book is WELL worth the money you spend on it. Now there is the 5th edition it is even better yet! The 5th edition has Windows 7 for persons buying new computers. There are 38 chapters and every chapter is fully understandable not packed with a bunch of "geek" terminology but simple easy to use format. We have purchased over 15 books to learn the basics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent PC Start-up Book, October 20, 2010
G. Max Gooding (Miami, Florida USA) - See all my reviews
Firstly this edition is recommended for Windows 7 and Vista users, if you have Windows XP you should purchase the 4th Edition of this book.

This book makes no assumptions concerning your knowledge of computers, there are a lot of helpful 'windows' on the pages that make sure that you don't miss areas of: Caution, Tips and Notes.

It is broken down into 7 parts:

[Part 1] Getting Started: 2 Chapters
[Part 2] Using Windows: 3 Chapters
[Part 3] Upgrading and Maintaining Your System: 5 Chapters
[Part 4] Using Computer Software: 5 Chapters
[Part 5] Using the Internet: 12 Chapters
[Part 6] Communicating via the Internet: 4 Chapters
[Part 7] Exploring the Digital Lifestyle: 7 Chapters

From the start, you will be assisted in setting up a new computer. Then the book also has numerous screen shots that will help you along the way as you learn Windows from the ground up and begin to personalize it. There are also a lot of web sites provided that cover a wide area of interests.

This reading material is systematic, well laid out logically and easy to follow. It is a sure fire and will get any newbie up and running quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Learned alot, February 26, 2010
I bought this book as a gift for my Dad who got his first computer. I read through it before I wrapped it and learned alot myself and had my computer running more quickly and efficiently in an hour. I'm buying another copy of this book for myself today!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent teaching tool, May 8, 2011
Mr Rick (Las Vegas, Nevada) - See all my reviews
I use this book for teaching seniors(age 55 and above)how to use the computer. It is an excellent resource for anyone who has a fear of using the computer. Very easy to read and follow and not a lot of technical mumbo-jumbo to confuse the Absolute Beginner. I highly recommend this book for any senior just learning to use the computer. I personally purchase this book for each of my students and they are thrilled to have a book they can understand!

5.0 out of 5 stars great book for beginners!, December 26, 2009
We took this book to Liberia to teach some of the locals how to use computers. It was laid out in a very logical way so that introductory computer users could follow what the authors were saying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Book that covers EVERYTHING!!, December 30, 2011
dhill544 (Richland, WA) - See all my reviews
I bought this for my Dad, that has literally never touched a computer, and has the I am going to break it syndrome, and I am very savvy and work for a large internet retailing company, so I struggle with dealing with teaching him the ins and outs, and this book broke it down to the very basics and talks in terms that are very easy to understand. It elaborates extensively on every part of a computer from the very basics from what to look for when purchasing to how to search the web and buy products safely online. It even gives a basic list of websites for general use. I was very amazed with the content of this book, I even learned some new tricks myself and I think I am going to by a copy just for myself as well! Recommend to anyone from completely computer illiterate or to the pretty savvy and just needing a handy reference.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good starter book for beginners, July 2, 2012
As a computer consultant I spend a lot of time answering questions for customers. One frequent question I get is "where can I go to learn more about my computer?" This book is one of my favorite answers to that question.

The comments I've gotten back from my customers is that they find this book easy to read and understand -- and it's understanding that is the most important part. For any self-help type of book to be useful folks need to understand what it is saying. My customers like the fact that they can take it at their own pace and not feel concerned that they will break the computer while they are trying new stuff.

Oh sure, I would love to make tons of money spending hours with my customers training them on how to use their computer, but most people don't have that kind of money these days. This book lets them get more enjoyment and use out of their computer investment.

One note, this book is written for Windows 7, so I don't recommend it for other operating systems.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for what it says it was definately worth $12., September 7, 2011
Absoulute Beginners Guide was an informative book for beginners. 5th Edition
I definitely learned from it. I have had a computer for a year now so I will order again from Amazon for further information concerning Windows 7.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute help for the computer impaired, September 7, 2011
Bought this book for my husband who was nearly clueless about the computer. It gives clear, easy to understand instruction on basic computer operation and more. Especially good for seniors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Beginner's Guide, January 20, 2012
The best purchase I've made since I bought the computer ! I started as a complete computer illiterate, but everything I read to gain a little knowledge assumed that I knew some basics. WRONG !!!! This book is a gem ! Read it cover to cover, or look up your question in the index...it's all written in language that the older generation can understand. The chapters are short, & at the end of each chapter is a quick guide to the info contained in that chapter. If you didn't get that info down, you will know to go back & give it a second look ! I bought 2 copies...one for me & one for my 88 year old father who got a computer for Christmas.

Absolute Beginner¿s Guide to Computer Basics (5th Edition)
Absolute Beginner¿s Guide to Computer Basics (5th Edition) by Michael Miller (Paperback - September 11, 2009)
$21.99 $15.27