Customer Discussions > Absolute V for Vendetta forum

Absolute V for Vendetta

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 5, 2009 6:33:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 5, 2009 6:36:40 AM PST
Jem says:
What's special about this $100 version:

"With the Vertigo classic V FOR VENDETTA set to be published as an Absolute edition in August, DC Comics is pleased to announce that this acclaimed title by Alan Moore and David Lloyd will be expanded by an additional 100 pages at no additional cost.

This new material includes all of David Lloyd's silent art pages from the original comic book series, which were not included in the collected editions and have not been seen since the series' original publication by DC Comics in 1988-1989. In addition, an expanded version of the sketchbook section from the hardcover will be included, as well as all of the back cover art from the original issues.

Along with these new pages, the Absolute edition features the improved production values and coloring from the 2005 hardcover edition for optimum enjoyment of the stunning art and story that the Portland Mercury called, "Perhaps Moore's most powerful work."

Along with Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns V is often held to be one of the 'holy trinity' of modern, graphic novels which re-invented the medium for a mature, adult audience. Written as a response to the right wing politics of the 1980s it remains extremely powerful - Moore's story of a political anarchist, Codename V, illustrated by David Lloyd as a cloaked man in a Guy Fawkes mask attacking a totalitarian, fascist British state may be set in the 80s, but it speaks of oppression and the fight for personal and societal freedom in any era and culture.

DC, hardback with slipcase, 296 pages, published August 2009 "

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2009 11:11:01 PM PDT
Gavin Lees says:
There will be an all-new colouring job (previews of which have been posted on David Lloyd's blog) which looks superb, plus sketches, original covers and, of course, lovely glossy paper, oversized artwork, hardcover binding and slipcase.

I don't think the purpose of the Absolute editions is to have more content, as opposed to being an archival edition for collectors with the best possible reproduction. Like the Subterranean Press editons of novels, or Criterion Collection DVDs - it's all about quality.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2009 3:16:42 PM PDT
DC ripped us off again. There is no glossy paper.

Posted on Sep 12, 2009 3:12:46 AM PDT
Watchmen, crisis on infinite earths, long halloween. None of these absolutes have glossy paper, yet no one else in any of the reviews seems to take issues with this fact. Just because paper isn't glossy doesn't mean its of inferior quality. The book wasn't originally printed on glossy paper, and was most likely colored accordingly. If anything the 60-100 dollar price tags are what you should be complaining about... not a lack of gloss on the pages....

Posted on Sep 21, 2009 9:19:43 AM PDT
good point. I wasn't trying to complain. I hadn't thought of TLH or Watchmen. The paper quality seems different even from those, maybe I'm wrong. It is nice to have the larger format. I don't see the point in complaining about price, DC is, I feel, very unlikely to ever change how they price these books unless it's to raise the cost.

Posted on Sep 22, 2009 3:10:21 PM PDT
I got mine today. Honestly, I couldn't be happier. The coloring is great; you notice that right away. And the large format and slipcase are great as well.

Posted on May 7, 2012 8:59:45 PM PDT
Boozenblues says:
Only complaint I have is the smell the pages give off when opened.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Mar 5, 2009
Latest post:  May 7, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Absolute V for Vendetta
Absolute V for Vendetta by Alan Moore (Hardcover - September 8, 2009)
4.8 out of 5 stars   (15)