Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 66 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 15, 2009 12:29:15 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 15, 2009 7:26:51 PM PST]

Posted on Feb 15, 2009 6:56:00 PM PST
I think that uptight is a bit of an understatement. While this novel will probably be terrible, I think that the idea is both funny and interesting. Please explain to me how this work destroys the original work? It is not as if all versions of Austen's novel will now be this one. It is simply taking the existing work and adding a ridiculous twist to it. While it may not be the same level of creativity as writing a new novel that is completely your own, this is a remarkably creative idea. I expect to see more like this in the future.
I love the works of Austen. What I don't love is people who think that art should be kept in a sterile environment and never touched again. Lets lock it up in a glass case so that it can be the same way forever, interpreted the same way forever. How dull. How simple. These works are living things that should be looked at in different ways, even going so far as adding zombies. Why not? Why wouldn't you want people to experience the novel from a new angle, with new ideas? I guarantee that, if you brought yourself low enough to read this, you would experience the book that you know and love in a different way, and that you may even get more out of the original because of it.

Most of all, quit being so offended by the world not doing things the way you think that they should be done. By being annoyed less often you will also be less annoying...often.

Posted on Feb 16, 2009 2:30:00 PM PST
Thanks Nathan. I agree with everything you said, except for "this novel will probably be terrible." "Probably" is (probably) too strong a word. I'd give it a 50/50 shot at being "terrible," tops.

Posted on Feb 17, 2009 8:11:29 AM PST
Paulo Leite says:
I absolutely agree. I haven't read the book yet, but it is a truly wonderful idea: take a classic and rewrite/rework/reenvision it in a totally new way. Just like you would do in a parody... and here it goes the horror way! Jane Austen will ALWAYS be Jane Austen. Mr. Grahame-Smith is NOT trying to pass for Jane Austen. This is not a rip-off nor the destruction of a classic. It is just a new idea.

I hope this does not become a new genre in itself (take a classic and add zombies to it) because this idea can easily exhaust itself into a formula if suddenly everybody try to add zombies into those classics. Or gore. For example: "Dracula" with more sex and gore. Or "Frankenstein" with more violence. I hope editors everywhere will show some restrain before 12 different authors from 12 different publishers try their luck with "Dracula"... because the market for original material is very tough. Imagine how it will be if everybody suddenly think they can redo any classic.

So I think Mr. Grahame-Smith had a great idea... and I'm very curious about the outcome. And I do not feel anyone should be offended by this.

Me? I cannot wait to see Oscar Wilde with zombies.

LOL

Posted on Feb 17, 2009 4:29:49 PM PST
J. Louis-Kie says:
I Really think Jane Austin would've written in Zombies if she knew she could have gotten away with it... Don't you?

Posted on Feb 18, 2009 7:10:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 18, 2009 7:10:44 PM PST
Mike says:
"I Really think Jane Austin would've written in Zombies if she knew she could have gotten away with it... Don't you? "

Not really. Bronte, maybe.

Honestly, I think this looks terrible. Using the original text borders on lazy at best and outright plagiarism at worst. You could at least re-write the thing. Failing to do so is incredibly hack writing and will leave the book riddled with inconsistencies of tone. A great re-write of a classic story was Tromeo and Juliet, for instance. That had Troma flair from start to finish.

Is this self-published?

Posted on Feb 19, 2009 5:29:03 AM PST
I have a BA in English, and I've suffered through the classics, and I know for a fact that about half a dozen of my former professors have already preordered their copies, as have I; though I'd kill for an advanced reader copy.
I've seen a lot of discussion for this novel, and truth be told it's one of the most original ideas I've seen come down the pipeline in ages. I'm trying to convince a friend of mine to use this in a class next fall for his American Lit class; it's definitely a genre-bender, and something that will undoubtedly make a great read, and a great teaching tool.
And if there were one author who would've put zombies into a novel...well, I think it would've been Edith Wharton. "The Age of Undead" has a nice ring to it, I'd say.
I want to say let's reserve judgment until we see the product, but, I'm already saying this is going to be a great read.
And as for this being plagiarism...no, I daresay that this novel is public domain and, quite frankly, no different than all of the current remakes gracing Hollywood.
Kudos to you, Mr. Grahame-Smith.

Posted on Feb 19, 2009 6:43:22 PM PST
I love Pride and Prejudice, and I love zombies. I don't think it's lazy to use the original text- I think it's genius. I think (I hope) it will work, and when it does? It will be a masterpiece, because you will have the original genius AND the new zombie genius, all in one book.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2009 10:52:33 AM PST
Alexis Coxon says:
I have to concur -- I love both Austen and zombies, as well, and I think this is going to be hysterical. I can't wait for it to come out!

Posted on Feb 23, 2009 12:20:54 AM PST
Jasmine says:
As much as I can't wait to read this book, I really can't wait to see the eventual film. It very well could be the perfect date movie.

Posted on Feb 24, 2009 5:41:25 PM PST
E. Chrol says:
This is a perfect, seamless thread, since it's rife with pride, prejudice and zombies.

What I don't get is how the indignant posters have insinuated themselves too lazy to read the book and gain an informed opinion, but are industrious enough to get worked up publicly months before the release date. Bless the interwebs.

In honor of those who've pre-bunched their panties, I've pre-ordered three copies.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2009 7:20:25 PM PST
Well, you know what they say about a lack of brains during a zombie apocalypse.

Posted on Feb 25, 2009 6:33:48 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 25, 2009 6:34:52 AM PST
Glenak says:
Leave it to Americans to take a classic British literature and turn it into Zombie pop trash. What's next? Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet and Zombies? Or perhaps, Hamlet and Zombies.

No, it's not a great idea. It's a brainless idea. If this bloke wants to write a zombie novel, by all means, do, but can't he write it and leave the classics out of it. It probably will suck anyway; after all, he is a screen writter who wrote and is producing Wonder-years-meets-Superbad for MTV (does this idiot actually know "original if it hit him in the face???)

Yes, I expect to be flamed by all the bunch of Americans on this forum. Yes, I expect you all to come at me and say, "You're taking this too seriously," yada yada yada. Bring it, mate. Unlike the OP, I'm not deleting my post and I'm running nowhere. We are all allowed to have our opinions. Yours: it's going to be the greatest piece of literature eveeer! Mine: (see above).

Posted on Feb 25, 2009 6:50:14 AM PST
You know, a lot of people are shirking away from the "classics" in literature.
To me, this is a way to make classic novels accessible...how many of us were forced to slog down Austen and Bronte in our youth, only to develop a seething hatred for all things Victorian?
How many students today don't even read these classics, and are losing an understanding of language, grammar, and writing?
If it will get kids--and, sadly, adults--to read, then we should not condemn; we should praise. Too often do people forget that reading isn't simply educational--it's entertaining.
If Mr. Grahame-Smith did what I assume and write the zombie parts in a Victorian, Austen-esque way, then that is something to be commended. If he wrote it in a modern way, that too is something to be commended...but that former, that would be a great challenge.

So, is it an American thing? No. It' s a cultural thing; everyone assimilates. There are no new thoughts or ideas, just twists. After all, "Romeo & Juliet," to paraphrase a modern author, is nothing more than a tale of parental neglect and teen suicide. All the great themes have been written about; it's just how we choose to reinterpret them.

Posted on Feb 25, 2009 7:54:16 AM PST
Alexis Coxon says:
Pssst ... Austen is actually Regency-era, not Victorian ;)

But I agree with your assessment that if adding zombies gets people to read classics, then great. "A Tale of Two Zombies," anyone?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2009 8:42:34 AM PST
Yeah...I really, really hated that period in English literature...I imagine all my professors shaking their heads in disgust at my error. Good thing I'm not using my BA to teach.

"War and Peace and Zombies" should be next, followed by "Anna Karinidead," and "As I Lay Decomposing."

I would totally read "A Tale of Two Zombies." Class warfare at its finest...and tastiest.

Posted on Feb 25, 2009 9:23:02 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 25, 2009 9:23:19 AM PST]

Posted on Feb 25, 2009 9:29:29 AM PST
MyPark says:
I had a chance to read a part of this book(about 30 pages) and I loved it. All I can say about the book is... just a little change, but huge difference. :)
(and I majored in English literature)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2009 2:33:10 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 25, 2009 2:33:46 PM PST
Glenak says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2009 2:47:25 PM PST
Sorry. I can't believe Brits won't find this humorous. After all, they gave us Shaun of the Dead. And Monty Python. And The Office. And Ricky Gervais.

I won't argue that it's not pop, but it's pop culture, not Pop American Style.

Posted on Feb 26, 2009 5:45:43 AM PST
A reader says:
I love this concept! I adore Jane Austen but am most definitely not one of the purists who is shocked and appalled by anyone who dares attempt a new twist to the works of their beloved Jane. I've read the first few pages available here for preview on Amazon and I laughed out loud several times. And the cover art is sublime. I can't wait for this to be released!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2009 5:32:42 PM PST
D. Dunmore says:
Just so you know, "geeky, nerdy crap" is fantastic. Our obsession with Zombies, Aliens and Vampires, is what makes me proud to call myself American. Because I'm thankful to live in a country where we don't take our entertainment so seriously as to get our panties in a tight bunch whenever one of OUR classics (George Romero's Night of the Living Dead) is messed with by the British (Shaun of the Dead).

USA! USA! USA!

But really, lighten up. You'll be happier for it. :D

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2009 8:09:00 AM PST
Glenak says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Mar 1, 2009 6:17:53 PM PST
L'Autumn says:
I'm a sixteen year old Pride&Prejudice fanatic (oh, well) and love Jane Austen (and also agree that if Bronte had thought of zombies, she would have thrown them in there) and think that the idea to mingle zombies with P&P is hilarious. I though it was a joke when I first read it in People before I saw the page on Amazon. I also think that this will be a much-welcome break from the Vampire Mania that has recently overtaken the world.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2009 9:15:15 PM PST
D. Dunmore says:
Oh excuse me, not Night of the Living Dead. DAWN of the Dead. Damn near every zombie movie, book, music video (Thiller) borrows from those two movies.

Anyway, if you want to hate America, that's totally your choice. But taking out your frustrations on a book that you haven't even read yet it is not only childish, but as ignorant as you claim we Americans are. So we overdo parodies. Oh well. Go watch or read something else. I like that this guy is lampooning a classic novel by throwing in zombies. As a fan of surrealistic humor, that is absolutely hysterical to me (I can only hope and pray a British writer writes "The Great Gatsby and Zombies"). If it's not for you, then it's not for you. But there's no need to be an immature troll about it. :/
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  46
Total posts:  66
Initial post:  Feb 15, 2009
Latest post:  Aug 31, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Pride And Prejudice And Zombies
Pride And Prejudice And Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith (Paperback - 2009)
3.3 out of 5 stars   (813)