Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jessy Lanza Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS

Format: Paperback|Change

on June 7, 2005
Lauren Child strikes again with another witty and wonderful read-aloud. In the same way Charlie and his little sister Lola endeared themselves to fans of I WILL NEVER NOT EVER EAT A TOMATO, parents and kids alike will delight in this comical plot.

Drama arises when Lola is not convinced she needs to go to school. "I probably do not have time to go to school," she says. "I am too extremely busy doing important things at home." Instead of ridiculing her, big brother Charlie takes the time to tackle her fanciful excuses with his own inventive scenarios.

When Lola says she doesn't care to learn to count above ten, Charlie replies, "What if eleven eager elephants all wanted a treat. How would you count up how many treats that would be?" Lola's still not quite sure.

She doesn't need to learn to read, she says, because "I've got all my books in my head." Again, Charlie counters with the possibility that she may HAVE to read a bedtime story sometime to an ever-so-angry ogre who won't go away unless she does.

Page after page, the textured illustrations and vibrant narrative technique are pure delight. I imagine teachers, parents, and librarians breathe a sigh of relief when Lauren Child's books are chosen for storytime. Each phrase reads like a poem, not a word out of place.

Unlike many works where brothers and sisters don't get along, the relationship between Charlie and Lola is precious. I'd recommend this book to anyone needing to help a child overcome apprehension of visiting someplace new: the dentist, church, relative's house, etc. Having a little friend like Soren Lorenson to tag along is a gentle way to dissuade those imaginary fears of childhood.
on August 7, 2004
This is one of the best childrens books I have read in ages! The illustrations are amazingly inventive and the dialog between the brother and sister is really witty and memorable. I read this to my 3 year old son and he wanted to read it over and over. This is definitely a must have for the house!
on November 17, 2015
Charlie and Lola books are great. Similar if not exact story lines to the TV shows. My daughter loves them. Strong visual imagery. Good price point for the quality. But note there are different sizes in books sold by Amazon
on June 11, 2006
My kids both love Charlie and Lola! I have only recently discovered them, but found this book just before my daughter started kindergarten. This book looks at some of the things that kids will worry about when they start school (especially for the first time, but also as it turns out for starting a new grade!) and helps ease many of those worries in a way that is gentle and humorous. I love how gentle and easy-going Charlie is with his little sister, and how refreshing it is to see a sister and brother pair who genuinely love each other and even when they're frustrated with each other, they manage to work it out. My daughter and her little brother will have richer lives for this series of books. I can't recommend them highly enough!!!
on August 27, 2005
This book is perfect for kids who are nervous about starting school (and it's fun, even for those not starting school). Charlie and Lola are endearing characters, Lauren Child's writing is clever, and her illustrations are imaginitive and colorful. My 3 year old son absolutley loves all of the Charlie and Lola books, and I never get tired of reading them!
on January 20, 2013
My daughter and I love the Charlie & Lola books! This is one of my favorites because it helps address some of the apprehensions kids feel about starting school. My daughter is almost 3 and we've been reading this and talking about what it will be like to go to school one day. I think this will help a lot because when we read "But Excuse Me That is My Book" she learned all about the library and when I took her she was totally prepared! I'm hoping this book will do the same for her with school and make the transition easier on her.

This is a soft cover book but the pages are super heavy and glossy. They do not tear easily. And the book itself is really big! Don't forget to look for Soren Lorensen, the invisible friend. If you hold the page just right you can see him there! That was an exciting discovery!
on November 30, 2004
Charlie & Lola first starred in "I will not ever never eat a tomato" which was a hysterically funny book we loved.

In this new adventure, Lola's parents feel she is ready to go to school - Lola herself is not so sure (ergo, the title), and with funny turns of phrases has us all laughing while Charlie patiently coaxes her into going.

With lots of bold & bright colours on every page, and using the collage technique, this book is another winner.

Lola is delightful, and Charlie the perfect elder brother, he finds her most amusing and is keeping a sharp eye out for her when she does go to school. Thank god some kids interact like this! I also feel this book is encouragement to children to relate in a more positive fashion.

The text is always dynamic on the page - from twisting & dancing across the page to curling around the telephone (which Lola likes because it's "more friendly & straightaway")something we all must feel in this age of email & immediacy.

One of the funniest moments is when Lola is convinced to go to school, relieved she doesn't need to wear uniform & decides Alligator gear is the perfect outfit to don!

Charming & funny, it's a great book to own.

kotori 2004 - ojadis@yahoo.com
on March 23, 2006
I have recently discovered the Charlie and Lola Lauren Child books and I (and my kids) can't get enough of them. The relationship between brother and sister is gorgeous, and the insight into a small girl's mind is spot on. The Language and phrasing is something that all kids can identify with. When I read these books all my children (12, 10, 6 and 5) stop and listen. This one is particularly entertaining as it contains Lola's imaginary friend Soren Lorenson. Amazing illustrations and wonderful story.
on July 19, 2005
I was looking for a book for my 5yo who was suddenly "nervous" about kindergarten. We looked at several books, read the first page or so, but when she saw this one she couldn't put it down. She recognized Charlie and Lola from TV and she could definitely relate with the imaginary friend, although hers doesn't visit very often any more. This book is fun and imaginative. Clearly this author knows the minds of children.
on December 29, 2012
My 4 yr old was very nervous about pre-k last year. Purchased a few beginning school books and they helped so much. We still read them and this book was VERY helpful. It calmed his anxiety about starting school. Definitely recommend :)