4.0 out of 5 stars A Review Of The Book Not The Author

3.0 out of 5 stars "Good" for a first try
Published on August 22, 2011 by R. Smith

4.0 out of 5 stars A Review Of The Book Not The Author, August 16, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Before I begin, this is a review of the book not the author. If you're someone who hates the guy and will just do everything they can to give the book bad reviews, consider for a minute if you'd like to see that happen to a Keith Olbermann if a bunch of right-wingers wanted to punish him for his politics. Don't be that guy. If you're not interested in giving this book a fair shake on its own merits then please just stop reading and go away. If you're one of Savage's listeners who likes everything that he does you might as well stop reading now and just buy the book because you're going to anyway.
------------------------------
I've read one of Michael Savage's previous books, political zoo, and found it mostly entertaining. So when I got a chance to try out an advance copy of this book I jumped at it because I was pretty curious if the guy could actually pull off fiction. If you want the short version, sort of.

The novel follows a reporter named Jack Hatfield who's life is loosely based on Michael Savage's. Jack was kicked off of his TV show for controversial statements, was banned from entering Britain, and has a general feeling that the government is overlooking the activities of Muslims out of political correctness. He ends up being a first-hand witness to a botched car bombing and from there his digging for the truth leads him on a multi-continent mission to try to stop a terrorist attack.

For me at least, the first couple of chapters were really hard to get into. I found the way the author introduced back story to be confusing and hard to read. I consider myself conservative, but I grew a bit fatigued being beaten over the head repeatedly with political views. However, once things moved on to focus on the people behind the botched bombing I really started to get into the story. The only problem being that his digs at enemies like George Soros, the UK government, and others keep creeping back. If you like seeing those or can filter it out you're good, if you can't then you'll want to avoid the book because I can tell you now that you'll just be annoyed too often.

As I read along I had to do a fair amount of skimming over and filtering out of details that seem to be filler and much of the political stuff, but what was left was an intriguing story that plays off of events in the news. Unraveling the conspiracy and seeing how far it went was well done with just enough revealed at a time to make you want more; the false revelations that led to some twists kept me guessing. At a certain point in the middle I actually lost track of time and found I'd been reading for a couple hours instead of the twenty minutes I'd planned. In short, the story was a little slow to pick up but after it got going it was quite enjoyable and worth the read. Though I won't spoil it, I thought the ending was a bit over the top and implausible.

I assume you realize this, but I'll mention it anyway, if you're expecting any kind of realism in the story you're going to be disappointed. Like most of the suspense novels you're going to have unrealistic last-second near misses, allies and enemies who behave just perfectly to allow the hero to succeed at a certain goal, "flesh wounds" from bullets that still allow the hit person full mobility, and people who believe or disbelieve a story in just the right way to add suspense. This can be said about just about any "thriller" book, but I felt some of the characters were a bit one dimensional compared to other books I've read and I would have liked to actually care about more of them.

This isn't the greatest book you're ever going to read, but if you can get past the politics or if you just enjoy them then it's worth a look, though maybe after it drops in price a bit. If not, you're better off skipping it.

4.0 out of 5 stars NOT THE BEST IN THIS GENRE, BUT NOT AS BAD AS SOME HAVE RATED, August 25, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Anyone who has heard of Michael Savage knows that he is ultra-conservative; you can also tell that he is a conservative by reading the page that tells about the author. Also, most, if not all authors who are writing political thrillers are conservative so I feel that is unfair to give a bad review just because you do not like this author's politics.

The book was very hard to read and for me to get interested in because there was too much filler at the beginning. After the first two or three chapters, it gets better, but there are more rough patches. Jack Hatfield is a reporter who has been blacklisted by most news organizations for the controversial views that he aired on his talk show, which has fired him. Most of his former colleagues and friends who were his government contacts will not speak to him and he has been banned by the British government and cannot travel within the U.K...

When a friend of his is killed while trying to diffuse a car bomb, he realizes that there is something wrong with the story that the FBI is giving out during the press conference. When he questions them on the misinformation that they are relaying to the media, the FBI spokesperson tells Hatfield that not everything that happens is because of Muslim extremists. However, before his friend was killed trying to diffuse the car bomb, he told Jack the story that had been told to the police so he knows there is a cover-up going on. As he starts investigating the story, people who are involved start dying; in what appears to be accidental deaths. His home is broken into and threats are made against him, but he is not the type to back down and is determined to find out what is happening and why.

The book is ok, but it could have been so much better (easily 5 stars) if the author had spent more time on character development and motivation (especially the characters at the end of the book) and story development. I felt that he rushed the ending, which did not seem feasible when he could have made the book longer and the story much better if he had done so. It's possible that he had to meet a deadline and that is why it is not a good as it could and should have been.

We are coming toward the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks and unfortunately once again many Americans have become complacent, thinking that we have made the country safer and nothing like that could happen again. Anyone who listens to the news knows that while there are safety measures in place, they are by no means foolproof. There is no way to know how many sleeper cells are already here and how many of them contain members who were born in this country. We are only fooling ourselves if we believe that there are not white Americans in these cells with others of different ethnicity. Not all Muslims are terrorists and we should not blame all of them for the actions of those they have no control over. We dismiss the attacks on Americans and other non-Muslims that happen overseas; we say you take that risk when you travel or live in another country. Until all countries can provide education to all it citizens, that is not dictated by ultra radical Imams, teachers and leaders who want to kill everyone (even other Muslims) that do not believe as they do, no one will be safe anywhere.

3.5 Stars

3.0 out of 5 stars "Good" for a first try, August 22, 2011
R. Smith (Crown Point, IN) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Since many others seem to have given most of the story away, I will not re-iterate. Dr. Savage does a good job for his first suspense novel, but in my opinion, not a great job. His character backgrounds and motivations are underdeveloped. Unlike a Clancy novel, he does not spend enough time developing the story and the characters. The book did keep me reading, so I give it 3.5 stars. Near the end, it is very obvious that Dr. Savage got tired of writing and moved into an unbelievable series of events and moved to the "suspend disbelief" ending much too quickly. The book should have been at least 150 more pages. Dr. Savage does bring a lot of his own experience into the book, and takes you into his stomping ground of San Francisco nicely. He does make George Soros, (Lawrence Soren) out to be the truly nefarious guy he is in real life. Very little development of the co-conspirators and their plans and their motivations. He surprisingly lays off President Obama, making it seem that the president is nothing more than a pawn in the hands of his extreme left wing handlers. Makes you wonder if he is right.....
If Dr. Savage is willing to take enough time to write another suspense novel, I would buy it and read it. I am not sorry I took the time to read his first suspense novel. I recommend that you buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Forget Where You Stand on the Political Spectrum. This is a Real Page-Turner., August 10, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Controversial, conservative radio talk show host Michael Savage has penned his first novel. Forget where you stand on the political spectrum, and read this page turner for what it is - a rip roaring thriller a la Tom Clancy.

Jack Hatfield, a disgraced former television talk show host finds himself involved in a web of intrigue after a routine gang initiation car-jacking reveals a possible terrorist attack with far reaching implications. In this maze of intrigue no one is who they seem to be, and the terror plot may be located within the highest echelons of various governments. Cloak and dagger violence, loyalty, betrayal, sex and love are all mixed in as Jack races to unmask the plot and bring the culprits to justice. 'Abuse of Power makes great light reading.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the time, June 8, 2012
I'd never heard of Michael Savage before I read this book, so I had no biases going in.

It just isn't a very good book. It's not often that I read a book and then wonder why I totally wasted my time doing so, but in this case, that's exactly what happened. There are far better thrillers, spy novels, action novels, etc. than this one.

2.0 out of 5 stars Formulaic Scenes, September 22, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
From a base in San Francisco, this novel has scenes in such places as Paris, London, Tel Aviv and Sofia. It contains Arab Islamic terrorism, exploding bombs, murders of course, and criminal and treasonous high offcialdom. It therefore qualifies as an international suspense thriller.

Reasonably grammatical and otherwise technically adequate, the novel's prose is not fluid or otherwise felicitous, and it contains no delightful or original insights. It's storytelling is more a collection of discrete scenes without close connection from one to another and is thereby too harsh to be enjoyable.

It thus follows a crassly formulaic effort at marketability and has no redeeming virtues. This isn't one I'd recommend.

I've never listened to this author's radio show and this was no indictment of his politics. This was simply a book lover's review of an attempted suspense thriller.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good First Fiction Book by Doctor Savage, September 12, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Having listened to conservative radio talk show host Michael Savage a few times and liking his style I decided to read his first novel "Abuse of Power," a political action thriller. Looking up Michael Savage I found he has a lot of non-fiction books already published that are political and conservative in nature. These leanings are not something I disagree with. However, I decided to write this review based on not what I think of Michael Savage and his views but on his merits as a new fictional writer.

So what is the novel about? You can read the many other reviews to get this information. But if you have not, than here is the basic story line of the novel "Abuse of Power."

A former TV news commentator, Jack Hatfield, while doing a free lance story on the SFPD bomb squad, is on the scene when an accident involving a gang initiation carjacking reveals an interrupted car bombing attempt. Hatfield becomes entangled in a terrorist plot to rival that of 9/11 as he looks for the truth in what he believes is a cover up by the FBI as to who is responsible for the attempted car bombing. Hatfield will not let it rest. At a news conference Hatfield questions why government officials take the path of political correctness and avoid mentioning that Muslim extremists may be behind the attack. Those who try to help him uncover the truth begin dying as he probes deeper into why the misinformation is being disseminated to the public. Tracking clues across the globe Hatfield discovers a maze in which a conspiracy is hidden.

To sum up, this first fiction book by Michael Savage was intriguing political thrillers that was not difficult or as painful to read as some debut novelist tend to be. I felt a little cheated by not knowing more about why the conspirators were hatching this plot. Also, Hatfield's friends and acquaintances of friends seemed a little to contrive. From hackers able to infiltrate firewalls of secure government agencies, amateur spies with amazing abilities and a plethora of ex-military buddies at a moment's notice. Although Michael Savage has written other books I base my rating of 4 stars solely on this novel, and consider him an inexperienced fictional writer who did a good enough job but not a terrific one in his debut novel.

4.0 out of 5 stars First Time Savage Reader, February 3, 2013
This review is from: Abuse of Power (Hardcover)
Being an author of thrillers, I found Michael's first attempt in this genre compelling. Jack Hatfield is a believable character and, with all of his flaws, memorable. The only thing I felt a little weak was Jack's blindness toward Sara. He couldn't see passed her beauty and self-declared passion, so I found myself just waiting for that other shoe to drop.

If you like a story with non-stop action and filled with lots of bad guys, at least from a western perspective, "Abuse of Power" delivers. There are plenty of people to both cheer and jeer. This novel is both timely and informative in its insight into radical Islam, blending it seamlessly into the plot. A good read, overall.

Author "Born to Make the Kill"

3.0 out of 5 stars Fairly Typical of the Genre, October 17, 2011
Ratonis (Lincoln, Nebraska) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Abuse of Power (Hardcover)
Michael Savage's "Abuse of Power" is a fairly typical example of the "thriller" genre, blending an intriguing plot with heroes warding off some terrible disaster and fighting corruption and terror. Thankfully, Savage does not fall into the crutch, seen in some books, of relying on the "F" word or its variants to create tough-guy impressions. As is most of the thriller books written by authors like Steve Berry or James Rollins, there are implausible escapes and other situations, like when Jack and Sara both survive electric shock torture. Jack, despite torture (which would exhaust any person) is able to overcome his captor, rescue Sara, and escape, then shortly thereafter they are making love (based on nothing really substantial in their relationship except mutual capture by the same villains).

Some of the book reads as if Dr. Savage is really interested in writing a travelogue or tour book for San Francisco, complete with restaurant recommendations. Of course, local color is important, but I thought that the proportion of such description is a bit much for the total length of the novel.

In spite of these criticisms, I enjoyed the read, especially insofar as the author avoids smarmy political correctness. It is also interesting to speculate on the real-world models for some of his characters. All in all it is not a bad venture into fiction for Michael Savage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Suspenseful and exciting!, September 28, 2011
This review is from: Abuse of Power (Hardcover)
I usually don't read suspense novels, but I am a fan of Michael Savage, so I bought it. I honestly didn't expect to like it much, but wow, was I surprised. The book kept me up late a few nights because I couldn't put it down! The writing is well done and the storyline is intriguing. I'm almost finished with the book and can't wait to see how it ends!
As for those reviewers who are saying they don't know anything about Savage, but then have harsh criticism for the book: who do you think you are kidding?! Give credit where credit is due.

Abuse of Power
Abuse of Power by Michael Savage (Hardcover - September 13, 2011)
Used & New from: $0.01