Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Abuse of Power (Jack Hatfield)
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

VINE VOICEon August 16, 2011
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Before I begin, this is a review of the book not the author. If you're someone who hates the guy and will just do everything they can to give the book bad reviews, consider for a minute if you'd like to see that happen to a Keith Olbermann if a bunch of right-wingers wanted to punish him for his politics. Don't be that guy. If you're not interested in giving this book a fair shake on its own merits then please just stop reading and go away. If you're one of Savage's listeners who likes everything that he does you might as well stop reading now and just buy the book because you're going to anyway.
------------------------------
I've read one of Michael Savage's previous books, political zoo, and found it mostly entertaining. So when I got a chance to try out an advance copy of this book I jumped at it because I was pretty curious if the guy could actually pull off fiction. If you want the short version, sort of.

The novel follows a reporter named Jack Hatfield who's life is loosely based on Michael Savage's. Jack was kicked off of his TV show for controversial statements, was banned from entering Britain, and has a general feeling that the government is overlooking the activities of Muslims out of political correctness. He ends up being a first-hand witness to a botched car bombing and from there his digging for the truth leads him on a multi-continent mission to try to stop a terrorist attack.

For me at least, the first couple of chapters were really hard to get into. I found the way the author introduced back story to be confusing and hard to read. I consider myself conservative, but I grew a bit fatigued being beaten over the head repeatedly with political views. However, once things moved on to focus on the people behind the botched bombing I really started to get into the story. The only problem being that his digs at enemies like George Soros, the UK government, and others keep creeping back. If you like seeing those or can filter it out you're good, if you can't then you'll want to avoid the book because I can tell you now that you'll just be annoyed too often.

As I read along I had to do a fair amount of skimming over and filtering out of details that seem to be filler and much of the political stuff, but what was left was an intriguing story that plays off of events in the news. Unraveling the conspiracy and seeing how far it went was well done with just enough revealed at a time to make you want more; the false revelations that led to some twists kept me guessing. At a certain point in the middle I actually lost track of time and found I'd been reading for a couple hours instead of the twenty minutes I'd planned. In short, the story was a little slow to pick up but after it got going it was quite enjoyable and worth the read. Though I won't spoil it, I thought the ending was a bit over the top and implausible.

I assume you realize this, but I'll mention it anyway, if you're expecting any kind of realism in the story you're going to be disappointed. Like most of the suspense novels you're going to have unrealistic last-second near misses, allies and enemies who behave just perfectly to allow the hero to succeed at a certain goal, "flesh wounds" from bullets that still allow the hit person full mobility, and people who believe or disbelieve a story in just the right way to add suspense. This can be said about just about any "thriller" book, but I felt some of the characters were a bit one dimensional compared to other books I've read and I would have liked to actually care about more of them.

This isn't the greatest book you're ever going to read, but if you can get past the politics or if you just enjoy them then it's worth a look, though maybe after it drops in price a bit. If not, you're better off skipping it.
1616 comments|198 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon August 25, 2011
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Anyone who has heard of Michael Savage knows that he is ultra-conservative; you can also tell that he is a conservative by reading the page that tells about the author. Also, most, if not all authors who are writing political thrillers are conservative so I feel that is unfair to give a bad review just because you do not like this author's politics.

The book was very hard to read and for me to get interested in because there was too much filler at the beginning. After the first two or three chapters, it gets better, but there are more rough patches. Jack Hatfield is a reporter who has been blacklisted by most news organizations for the controversial views that he aired on his talk show, which has fired him. Most of his former colleagues and friends who were his government contacts will not speak to him and he has been banned by the British government and cannot travel within the U.K...

When a friend of his is killed while trying to diffuse a car bomb, he realizes that there is something wrong with the story that the FBI is giving out during the press conference. When he questions them on the misinformation that they are relaying to the media, the FBI spokesperson tells Hatfield that not everything that happens is because of Muslim extremists. However, before his friend was killed trying to diffuse the car bomb, he told Jack the story that had been told to the police so he knows there is a cover-up going on. As he starts investigating the story, people who are involved start dying; in what appears to be accidental deaths. His home is broken into and threats are made against him, but he is not the type to back down and is determined to find out what is happening and why.

The book is ok, but it could have been so much better (easily 5 stars) if the author had spent more time on character development and motivation (especially the characters at the end of the book) and story development. I felt that he rushed the ending, which did not seem feasible when he could have made the book longer and the story much better if he had done so. It's possible that he had to meet a deadline and that is why it is not a good as it could and should have been.

We are coming toward the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks and unfortunately once again many Americans have become complacent, thinking that we have made the country safer and nothing like that could happen again. Anyone who listens to the news knows that while there are safety measures in place, they are by no means foolproof. There is no way to know how many sleeper cells are already here and how many of them contain members who were born in this country. We are only fooling ourselves if we believe that there are not white Americans in these cells with others of different ethnicity. Not all Muslims are terrorists and we should not blame all of them for the actions of those they have no control over. We dismiss the attacks on Americans and other non-Muslims that happen overseas; we say you take that risk when you travel or live in another country. Until all countries can provide education to all it citizens, that is not dictated by ultra radical Imams, teachers and leaders who want to kill everyone (even other Muslims) that do not believe as they do, no one will be safe anywhere.

3.5 Stars
on July 2, 2013
It was light reading and the purpose of the book was to expose the truth and he accomplished that. I did not like the gratuitous sex or the swearing. I don't really think it added anything to the book and kind of reminded me of a pulp fiction type of venue. I bought it because I wanted to read Michael Savage because I listen to his talk show sometimes. I think he nails what is going on in the world with pinpoint accuracy and is an independent conservative which I find refreshing. He does not sidle up to the other talk show hosts who seem to think there is hope in the republican party. I have lost almost all confidence in any real change in our government unless we get the RINOS out of there as well as the destroy America democrats. Seems to me both parties are socialist and only have different names. Savage does not pull punches so this is why, other than a reasonable cost, I chose to read this book. Would I buy again, probably not. I was going to get "A Time for War" but I am concerned about the characters living lives not in keeping with the values I have. Conservatism has to have with it the founding fathers' morals and adherence to the Bible. Our nation was built on biblical principles so I think we need to be consistent in showing support to our Constitution and the precepts it was founded on.
VINE VOICEon August 22, 2011
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Since many others seem to have given most of the story away, I will not re-iterate. Dr. Savage does a good job for his first suspense novel, but in my opinion, not a great job. His character backgrounds and motivations are underdeveloped. Unlike a Clancy novel, he does not spend enough time developing the story and the characters. The book did keep me reading, so I give it 3.5 stars. Near the end, it is very obvious that Dr. Savage got tired of writing and moved into an unbelievable series of events and moved to the "suspend disbelief" ending much too quickly. The book should have been at least 150 more pages. Dr. Savage does bring a lot of his own experience into the book, and takes you into his stomping ground of San Francisco nicely. He does make George Soros, (Lawrence Soren) out to be the truly nefarious guy he is in real life. Very little development of the co-conspirators and their plans and their motivations. He surprisingly lays off President Obama, making it seem that the president is nothing more than a pawn in the hands of his extreme left wing handlers. Makes you wonder if he is right.....
If Dr. Savage is willing to take enough time to write another suspense novel, I would buy it and read it. I am not sorry I took the time to read his first suspense novel. I recommend that you buy it.
1414 comments|44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 3, 2013
Being an author of thrillers, I found Michael's first attempt in this genre compelling. Jack Hatfield is a believable character and, with all of his flaws, memorable. The only thing I felt a little weak was Jack's blindness toward Sara. He couldn't see passed her beauty and self-declared passion, so I found myself just waiting for that other shoe to drop.

If you like a story with non-stop action and filled with lots of bad guys, at least from a western perspective, "Abuse of Power" delivers. There are plenty of people to both cheer and jeer. This novel is both timely and informative in its insight into radical Islam, blending it seamlessly into the plot. A good read, overall.

Author "Born to Make the Kill"
on January 23, 2016
I didn't think that Michael Savage could write such a detailed and fast moving story. The book had sprinkles of current events, but did not make the story side with either a conservative or liberal bend. My only question was how the title of the book represented the contents of the story.
on July 11, 2015
First let me say that this is not my usual genera of reading. After listening to Mr. Savage's radio show I decided to give his book a try. Wow I was blown away. Fantastic story line, Jack Hatfield is an exciting character. Very edge of your seat reading. Also note that much of the story is very realistic to our current events. ended up buying all three books in this series and all very exciting .
VINE VOICEon August 10, 2011
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Controversial, conservative radio talk show host Michael Savage has penned his first novel. Forget where you stand on the political spectrum, and read this page turner for what it is - a rip roaring thriller a la Tom Clancy.

Jack Hatfield, a disgraced former television talk show host finds himself involved in a web of intrigue after a routine gang initiation car-jacking reveals a possible terrorist attack with far reaching implications. In this maze of intrigue no one is who they seem to be, and the terror plot may be located within the highest echelons of various governments. Cloak and dagger violence, loyalty, betrayal, sex and love are all mixed in as Jack races to unmask the plot and bring the culprits to justice. 'Abuse of Power makes great light reading.
33 comments|52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 8, 2012
I'd never heard of Michael Savage before I read this book, so I had no biases going in.

It just isn't a very good book. It's not often that I read a book and then wonder why I totally wasted my time doing so, but in this case, that's exactly what happened. There are far better thrillers, spy novels, action novels, etc. than this one.
on July 28, 2015
Another resounding success for Dr. Michael Savage. This was his first attempt at fiction and his character development was magnificent. I saw many reflections of the Obama Administration's abuse of power/