5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most emotionally draining books I've ever read
I worked for the Denver District Attorney's Office as part of the Intake Unit. In the five years I was there, Denver filed an average of roughly 5,500 felony cases per year; I reviewed the vast majority of those cases - everything from murder to sexual assault.
After I had been with the office for several years, I read a case involving a young boy who had been...
Published on October 22, 2000 by Dan Lobnitz

3.0 out of 5 stars Abused Boys : The Neglected Victims of Sexual Abuse
This book is a welcome addition to our sparse literature about the sexual abuse of boys. It is well organized, easy to read, and the author is both knowledgeable and sympathetic. He emphasizes that there is no such thing as a "willing" victim and refuses to indulge in victim-blaming, as so often happens to male survivors
However, I strongly discourage survivors...
Published on January 13, 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars Harshly accurate and compelling., June 15, 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Abused Boys: The Neglected Victims of Sexual Abuse (Paperback)
This book is excellent. It was not condesending. It was open, honest, and appropriately uncomfortable. It made me face a lot of things that I had been trying to ignore. It helped me to realize that I wasn't alone. It wasn't whiny or filled with whiners. It spoke about real people and how there was hope and healing for them. My wife and I really enjoyed it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Useful Guide with a Major Caveat, May 8, 2009
Paul G. Bens, Jr. (Los Angeles, California) - See all my reviews
Reading through the various reviews of this book, I was interested in some of the more extreme reactions to it.

As a survivor, I personally found this to be an incredibly helpful in many different ways. First and foremost, it helped me understand the clinical aspects of sexual abuse in an easy, straightforward manner. It also helped me to understand the emotions I had been experiencing for years but never quite understood. And mostly, the personal stories not only made me feel as if I was not alone (as many stories had elements that rang true to my own) but made me understand that it was acceptable to feel what I had been feeling for so many years. Many in the book underwent abuse far more severe than I, but from their stories I always was able to take away something that explained myself to myself or sounded familiar. I never felt, unlike other reviewers, that those telling their stories were boasting. It all felt honest, part purge and part educational. They wanted and in some cases needed to tell their stories.

Helpful? I found it so. Is it gospel? No, it is simply another tool to help one during recovery and should never be substituted for the correct psychological care.

The one major caveat I must add is that if you are involved in a lawsuit over the abuse you suffered, or might be in the future, it is very important that you speak to your attorney before reading this book (or any book on childhood sexual abuse) as many attorneys representing perpetrators may attempt to use your familiarity with the book to cast doubt upon your claims.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book on Abuse of Boys, October 28, 2008
This is well-written and easy to grasp.

Mic Hunter gives a thorough and knowledgeable discussion of this long-neglected topic.

The last portion of the book is devoted to case histories and that was the least enjoyable part to read. While there is a lot of good information in the stories, they are just hard to stomach.

The first part of the book is more scholarly. That distance was useful in coming to a better understanding of the problems that stem from male child sexual abuse.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding read for Survivors and clinicians, March 3, 2012
This book will help you! Although this book was written 22 years ago it still remains as one of the top reference books in its genre. It is a must read for any male survivor or loved one of a survivor of incest and/or sexual abuse. Dr.Hunter specifically addresses male patients who have been abused by adult female predators - the quality of information in Abused Boys regarding this specific group remains unparalleled even 2 decades later. Abused Boys should be required reading for all clinicians, especially those caring for men in a psychiatric setting. Very informative and superbly tactful. Dr.Hunter remains one of the nation's leading experts on this subject and comes highly recommended by many professionals of psychiatry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Abused Boys: The Neglected Victims of Sexual Abuse, January 6, 2010
Michele (Atlanta, Georgia) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent, yet extremely sad and tragic book. It is extremely helpful to know that sexual abuse of boys is so common. Sexual abuse is such a taboo subject, and victims so often get blamed rather than perpetrators in our society that this book is a MUST-READ for any male and/or female survivors of sexual abuse - particularly child sexual abuse, and even for parents who are interested to acquire more information about the subject to assist children in recovery. I found this to be an OUTSTANDING book for those reasons. I recommend it 100% for those who are genuinely and sincerely interested in helping themselves and/or others in recovery.

4.0 out of 5 stars good book for counselors, November 24, 2009
This is an introductory book to CSA (Child Sexual Abuse). Not much literature is on sexual abuse with boys but much is beginning to emerge. This book is good, it begins to give you a clear picture of how sexual abuse affects boys and men as compared to women. This book is a must(among many others)for anybody wanting to work with sexual abuse survivers/victims.

5.0 out of 5 stars Abused Woman, July 31, 2013
A must read for anyone of any gender who has suffered sexual abuse of any kind.

For an abused woman, one would think there is a lot of therapy and self help options to be had and that is not so. I had been through many therapists and picked up and flipped through many self help books and nothing helped me. My story was too strange for anyone to listen to, too far from what they had dealt with before to counsel. All of the books I found on female abuse didn't help me either. I actually envied some of the stories in those books, they seemed easier to deal with and hear about and I would've liked that.

I had gone 20 years since the start of my abuse and 10 years since admitting it to a professional and I was far from healed. I found this book for a friend. He never bothered opening it, so I did and what happened next was beyond amazing for me.

I began to write. I began to blame. I began to heal.

So many times in life we are told to not play the victim. And I took that to heart, even in the reality of my sexual abuse. I wouldn't be the victim, even though the victim is exactly what I was. It has now been over 10 years since I've read this book and what I got from it is worth far more than all the money that I've spent on therapy. What happened to me will never go away, but with the help of this book alone, I began my lifelong journey of healing.

I personally believe it should be required reading for all psych students. They should never listen to a story as gruesome as some of these and usher their clients out of the door, which is exactly what some of them do. Then we are left out in the world of misfits. We did nothing wrong as victims, but the world at large makes us feel dark, alone and non-deserving of a soul much less compassion for our pain. Tragic.

The author is truly amazing. This book is difficult to read and some of the stories will haunt me for life, much like my own. What haunts me more though, is a world of people so advanced who still shut others out when their story is too far out and would be better left for fiction horror. PsyDs should get better acquainted with this, then just maybe, they could begin to help us before the damage is lived with for so long that the scar is not a barely noticed line, but a gaping stretched out thin skin barrier to all that wants to pour out of us.

Victims deserve better and this author finally gives us that understanding of self, abuser and anyone else that should have rescued us. We deserve to be understood. We deserve to be helped. We deserve to be healed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I thought, July 23, 2014
This was a good book if you are looking for stories of people who have experienced abuse. I thought it would have more pointers for how to help people overcome the negative after-effects, but it did not.

5.0 out of 5 stars GET THIS BOOK!, May 7, 2009
This book is the best I have seen on male adult victims of sexual abuse! You must add this to your library. If you are a victim...a must read!

4.0 out of 5 stars Sad, December 2, 2013
I have a niece who was raped as a child by a boy her brothers knew. I know she not a boy...but I've always understood the trauma and agony against thoses whom a crime was committed against. Boys are to often thouhgt of a as tough and strong while girls are continually procived as weak and soft. Which is unfortunately the reason many seem to believe boys should get over it and girls are victims and should be coddled. That's just not true!!!!!! Girl's are just as tough and strong as boys...and, and it takes someone who is VERY STRONG to report abuse especially about them selves. Thoses that are strongest are the ones who tell and admit they where abused because they KNOW it IS NOT they're fault. When someone else hurts you it is NEVER YOUR FAULT!!!!!!!!!

Abused Boys: The Neglected Victims of Sexual Abuse
Abused Boys: The Neglected Victims of Sexual Abuse by Mic Hunter (Paperback - June 25, 1991)
$17.00 $12.50