5.0 out of 5 stars BEST SKETCHPAD FOR THE MONEY, PERIOD!
Published on January 16, 2010 by Stephen Young

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was hoping for
Published on March 12, 2011 by Chrissy

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST SKETCHPAD FOR THE MONEY, PERIOD!, January 16, 2010
This review is from: Academie Wirebound Sketch Book, 11 x 8-1/2 Inches, 70 Sheets (54404) (Office Product)
I discovered these some time ago in Walmart, and have since bought several. They are comparable in cost with any similar product, but have a few features that really make them worthwhile. They have a two-sided storage pocket inside for storing your drawings. They also have perforated pages so that you can easily remove a page without tearing or cutting, and a very sturdy pressboard backing, so that you can use the sketchbook without the need of a drawing board. The sketchbooks are sturdy and travel well, and the paper is fine for a variety of mediums- I have used them for ink, pencil, Copic markers, charcoal and pastel with good results. These sketchbooks are, in my opinion, the best designed and most useful such item on the market.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best sketchbook, December 14, 2010
The first review said it all. This is by far the best sketchbook. It holds up very well, and the pages don't smug.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was hoping for, March 12, 2011
I bought this based on the other 2 reviews, so I wanted to add my own experience in case someone else was on the path to the same problem. I don't know what markers the others were using, but I use Sharpies and Bic Mark-it pens; both of which are acid free permenant markers. I like the set up of the sketch pad, but the paper bleeds. When using my ultra-fine point pens, I can not get an ultra-fine line because the ink feathers out into the paper. It is not horrible, but it is enough to be distracting and frustrating. I am going to try the book for my oil pastels and a regular ink pen, to see if I can make it worthwhile. My favorite medium is Sharpie though, and I spent $80 on 120 colors to go with this book. I'm a little bummed that the set will not be a set. The paper is nice, not thick like a card-stock, but the page I put underneath to stop the bleed-through was almost unnecessary. It's just not the right paper for what I need. Back to my childrens manilla drawing pads from the dollar store.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sketch Book for Journaling, September 3, 2011
Carolyn (RICHARDSON, TEXAS, United States) - See all my reviews
Anyone who journals in order to write lively manuscripts can carry this sketchbook with ease and find their published works coming alive on a printed page. My creative writing teacher encouraged us to start with a picture which can be an original drawing or a collage out of pieces of papers like product catalogs or sales advertisements. Next she taught us to write on a slant inside a sketch book because writing on lined paper keeps our creativity from coming forward. These spiral bound notebooks provide the sketching or art product you can make to induce your imagination to go forwad. The blank pages allow you to journal without being inhibited by lines on a piece of papers. I have written a book and have found an illustrator who produced paintings to compliment the stories and poems successfully. If nothing else, you can cut out pictures of your favorite birds and write your flying haikus after pasting them on a sketchbook page.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for sketching, great for kids too!, January 30, 2013
As a mom of four kids I got tired of finding all the loose pictures that my kids draw all over the house. They want to save them all. I only have so much fridge space. I finally decided to get each child this book and they now draw and color in these books and date it with their age. It is a keepsake and they love having their own books. And if for some reason they want to give the picture to a friend or family member it is perferated so you can tear it out without ruining the book. markers and paint do bleed through, but they don't seem to mind. crayola markers not so bad as their inka dots or paint. For some reason Walmart is not carrying this size anymore so I now buy it off of amazon or at the craft store.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent medium size sketchbook, August 21, 2014
This is my third sketchbook review for this Academie series. My basic comments about quality and usability for the smaller 6" x 9" and larger 11" x 14" sizes also apply to the intermediate size format:

"The approximately 60# heavyweight, acid-free, lignin-free bright white paper has a "just right" very slightly resistant tooth for pens, pencils, and crayons. I appreciate that the spiral binding is on the long side of the tablet to keep it stable whether drawing in landscape or portrait orientation; I also like the perforations for tearing out sheets of drawings you love and want to scan or keep for posterity―or dislike and need to throw away. The double-sided inside pocket is good for caching idea notes, design examples, flower or plant samples you might pick up along the way.

"Thick, medium, and fine point Sharpies® didn't fuzz or pool; they showed through to the other side of the sheet, but didn't bleed onto the next page. Water colour markers were the same. The paper was fine for ballpoint ink pen, lead pencil, Prismacolor® artist pencils. The surface picked up regular, neon, and metallic Crayola® crayons as desired. A couple reviewers mentioned water colours, but water colour paper is an entirely different category that reasonably experienced person would expect this type of tablet to support well, but I imagine it would take a sightly damp brush just fine, similar to how it does water colour markers. Again, highlighters and permanent markers are another, separate thing.

"70 sheets of paper gives the artist enough latitude to forget about unhappy attempts, but it's not so many that front and back covers will be tattered and torn by the time you've reached the end."

For the current 8.5" x 11" sketchbook, my additional observations include how the giant size is wonderful for working through multiple versions of an idea, varied colour palettes, graphic stylings, etc., but it's not convenient to carry with you everywhere. The smallest size is excellent for backpack or large purse, but limited "real estate" dimensions don't offer quite the same expressive freedom as you'd have with a somewhat larger size. So this 8.5" x 11" is that somewhat larger intermediate size: small enough for a typical backpack or tote bag, yet it still offers enough space for working thoroughly through an art or design concept.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tip Top!, September 14, 2014
I love these sketch books. I love the super close perforated edge for a clean tear. I love the way the paper absorbs the media and nothing runs or bleeds. I've even used this in my printer for family photos and it almost looks like the picture is printed on canvas. I've been using these sketch books for years, and I have also used other sketch books. These ones still remain my favorite. Five Stars!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 9, 2014
Great sketchbook, gives the user easy to rip pages or leave in. Colors look great. Scans well.

5.0 out of 5 stars GOOD FOR SKETCHING, February 1, 2014
Very well made. Enough sheets. Good quality. If you are an artist or a wan-a-bee try it you will love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for sketching, November 27, 2012
I don't usually get this brand, but it was just as good as any other high quality paper for sketching.

Rate and Discover Movies