Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Sixx AM Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

on January 16, 2010
I discovered these some time ago in Walmart, and have since bought several. They are comparable in cost with any similar product, but have a few features that really make them worthwhile. They have a two-sided storage pocket inside for storing your drawings. They also have perforated pages so that you can easily remove a page without tearing or cutting, and a very sturdy pressboard backing, so that you can use the sketchbook without the need of a drawing board. The sketchbooks are sturdy and travel well, and the paper is fine for a variety of mediums- I have used them for ink, pencil, Copic markers, charcoal and pastel with good results. These sketchbooks are, in my opinion, the best designed and most useful such item on the market.
on December 14, 2010
The first review said it all. This is by far the best sketchbook. It holds up very well, and the pages don't smug.
on March 6, 2016
I bought this as a gift for someone. The paper is a pretty heavy stock for the price. It has a smoother finish than a typical sketchbook, but that will be according to each person's preference if this is an issue. For me it was not. I like that the edges are perforated so pages can be removed, and the amount of sheets for the price is great. I think this is a great beginners sketchbook.
VINE VOICEon August 21, 2014
This is my third sketchbook review for this Academie series. My basic comments about quality and usability for the smaller 6" x 9" and larger 11" x 14" sizes also apply to the intermediate size format:

"The approximately 60# heavyweight, acid-free, lignin-free bright white paper has a "just right" very slightly resistant tooth for pens, pencils, and crayons. I appreciate that the spiral binding is on the long side of the tablet to keep it stable whether drawing in landscape or portrait orientation; I also like the perforations for tearing out sheets of drawings you love and want to scan or keep for posterity―or dislike and need to throw away. The double-sided inside pocket is good for caching idea notes, design examples, flower or plant samples you might pick up along the way.

"Thick, medium, and fine point Sharpies® didn't fuzz or pool; they showed through to the other side of the sheet, but didn't bleed onto the next page. Water colour markers were the same. The paper was fine for ballpoint ink pen, lead pencil, Prismacolor® artist pencils. The surface picked up regular, neon, and metallic Crayola® crayons as desired. A couple reviewers mentioned water colours, but water colour paper is an entirely different category that reasonably experienced person would expect this type of tablet to support well, but I imagine it would take a sightly damp brush just fine, similar to how it does water colour markers. Again, highlighters and permanent markers are another, separate thing.

"70 sheets of paper gives the artist enough latitude to forget about unhappy attempts, but it's not so many that front and back covers will be tattered and torn by the time you've reached the end."

For the current 8.5" x 11" sketchbook, my additional observations include how the giant size is wonderful for working through multiple versions of an idea, varied colour palettes, graphic stylings, etc., but it's not convenient to carry with you everywhere. The smallest size is excellent for backpack or large purse, but limited "real estate" dimensions don't offer quite the same expressive freedom as you'd have with a somewhat larger size. So this 8.5" x 11" is that somewhat larger intermediate size: small enough for a typical backpack or tote bag, yet it still offers enough space for working thoroughly through an art or design concept.
on December 31, 2015
Even cheap sketchbooks are usually more expensive than they should be...but I am incredibly pleased with this one. I feared it would have thin, crappy paper with no tooth, but it's surprisingly thick with a nice texture. I'm no artist, so I didn't want to spend much and took a gamble. Has a pocket in front (though it's very tight for the paper size...you really have to work to get it all the way down to the bottom of the pocket to keep the top of what you're putting in there from getting bent), and perforated edges so you can tear the uglies off. Very happy!
on January 1, 2016
I do really like this sketchpad except for the reason I give it just four instead of five stars...it doesn't have a sturdy back cover to help make it easier to sketch with. The back is just as thin and flimsy as a regular notebook of lined paper. I expect a large sketch pad to have a sturdy, thick back to keep the pad from bending while sketching so this was disappointing. Otherwise, a nice pad to have.
on October 2, 2015
I buy these for my daughter attending design college. She keeps asking for more so apparently it is good for it's purpose. Also Mead paper was the lifeblood of my home town while growing up. Ah, the wonder years and smell of paper making. (paper making stinks horrifically)
on January 24, 2016
What can you really say. It's a drawing pad. My 7 year old is very artistic and loves drawing so we got him this so he would'nt use all the ptinter paper and so his drains would stay together. So far so good.
on May 20, 2015
My most favorite sketchbook ever! The paper is great thickness. I use sharpies often and while it does bleed through the pages it rarely bleeds onto the page behind it. It also comes with folder on front to hold paper! Which it wasn't so price-y but definitely a great sketchbook!
on September 3, 2011
Anyone who journals in order to write lively manuscripts can carry this sketchbook with ease and find their published works coming alive on a printed page. My creative writing teacher encouraged us to start with a picture which can be an original drawing or a collage out of pieces of papers like product catalogs or sales advertisements. Next she taught us to write on a slant inside a sketch book because writing on lined paper keeps our creativity from coming forward. These spiral bound notebooks provide the sketching or art product you can make to induce your imagination to go forwad. The blank pages allow you to journal without being inhibited by lines on a piece of papers. I have written a book and have found an illustrator who produced paintings to compliment the stories and poems successfully. If nothing else, you can cut out pictures of your favorite birds and write your flying haikus after pasting them on a sketchbook page.