Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Suffers All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Amethyst Jewelry Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now SnS

67%
33%
Format: MP3 MusicChange
Price:$6.99

on January 15, 2013
In 2009 Holopaw came out with an album (oh glory oh wilderness) that has ever since ranked among my top 20 favorite albums of all time. That seems like a fanboyish bold statement from someone who is just trying to look all "indie and cool", since not many people know about this band... But that's not friggin the case 'k?

All three albums released previous to Holopaw have been pretty amazing with John Orth's spooky vocals and his quirky lyrics always made hypnotized to this music. And Academy Songs Vol. 1 it seems like Holopaw are going into a slightly new direction, but without losing anything that makes them Holopaw.

Academy songs is basically a theme album about life in a boys school filled wonderfully descriptive lyrics that will place you in the very Academy he is singing about. Song after song everything is just so moving and beautiful... I'm so excited about this album I can't help to already make the incredibly premature statement that I honestly think no other album this year will top this. I will return in December to say if I was right! Anyways... if you like previous Holopaw stuff you will definitely not be disappointed with this album... you might even be completed bedazzled with it, like me!

PS can't wait for Academy Songs II
44 comments2 of 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 7, 2013
I have a notion that this is a truly great record, but the mix is muddled. They need a better producer so the vocals can be heard and understood. Otherwise, I recommend this album wholehearted. The sound is broad and haunting, large and enveloping. I think fans of Morrissey to The Flaming Lips will find an interest here. Give it a try!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 23, 2013
I would give this CD 4.5 stars but leaning toward 5 stars. It is unique in its sound and has an unusual hauntingly beautiful aura about it. (AND - this band is nice to see live) The drummer is very creative, BTW.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse