on August 29, 2011
I bought this case along with the HP OEM Touchpad Case and the Acase beats it hands down.

HP OEM vs Acase:
Flimsy, not as sturdy as the Acase
Less positions than the Acase -- the grooves on the Acase are very nice, the Touchpad does not move at all.

Both the HP OEM and Acase do hold in the Touchpad very nicely, it doesn't move around at all. The Acase has padded leather handles and the HP OEM case you just snap the Touchpad in the case.

The HP OEM case is a little more slimline but it is made of plastic.

The Acase is padded leather and therefore is a little thicker but not overly bulky
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 27, 2011
I first purchased an iPad case by Technocel because I had read that it fit the HP Touchpad well with a little adjustment to the tabs. It certainly was a nice case but did not fit like I would have liked it to. So after seriously contemplating the official HP case, I chanced upon this beauty and snatched it up right away with Prime overnight shipping. I am glad I did. It is just like the Technocel case but fits the Touchpad like a glove. The latch on the case keeps it closed when you are not using the device, unlike with the HP case. The 3 grooves providing 3 different viewing angles work great and hold the Touchpad in place quite well. The typing position with the case folded underneath also works well. And because the case does not have cover the bezel, gestures are still easy to perform.

I do have two complaints, however, that prevent me from giving it 5 stars. First, the microfiber inlay inside the case was not cut well. It does not always line up inside the outer leather material and so some sticks out of the case in certain areas. For me, these areas are one of the retention tabs and also along the spine of the case. The other complaint is that the tabs along the spine perhaps grip the Touchpad a little too much - but not by much. What the problem here is if I want to stand the device up on the grooves, I first have to pry it out of those particular tabs (albeit with little effort). I feel those tabs should simply be meant for support and should effortlessly let go of the device when you want to stand the device in the grooves. Minor inconvenience the way it is now, so I am really just nitpicking.

Overall, I am extremely happy with my purchase, and I would absolutely recommend this case over the official HP case, which is marred by problems such as a drooping cover, bowing rubber, and other warping issues.

--Sent from my HP Touchpad
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 2, 2011
EDIT: This review was written for a previous version of this product which does not cover the bezel of the screen, and instead just clips around the edge of the screen in a few locations. The photos for this product are now slightly different from what I reviewed.

My original review:

This case is very sturdy. Parts that shouldn't bend, don't. The tension tabs grip the Touchpad very nicely, and fit its form like a glove. There's no question that this was made specifically for the HP TouchPad. Don't let the photo with the tablet popping out of the corner grip fool you-- it *will* do that if you've purposefully pulled the device out of those corner tabs before flipping the case back, but that won't happen by accident.

You do need to pull those corner grips off the TouchPad to get it into the 3 tilt level position, though. It's not hard to do, but it does take a bit of effort that shouldn't really be required, as the other grips are more than enough to hold the tablet securely. A minor annoyance, but an annoyance nonetheless.

Even though nothing "locks" the case into the typing position, it's very stable. In the 3 incremental tilt positions, the grooves are deep enough that there's little to no chance of the device slipping out of the groove and falling flat. The advantage of the three-groove design versus the folded-triangle design many other cases use to prop the TouchPad up is that the groove design doesn't require a hard surface. It'll hold the TouchPad up on the bed, carpet, any moderately flat surface where an iPad 2-style case might tip over.

The clasp is strong (non-magnetic, but grips the edge of the TouchPad itself-- don't worry, no scratching), and when closed, the case + the device is about an inch thick. A little on the bulky side compared to other cases, but with how flimsy other cases seem, it's easy to forgive. My TouchPad doesn't seem near as fragile in this case.

THIS CASE *IS* TOUCHSTONE-COMPATIBLE! My TouchStone will charge the tablet in this case in either landscape or portrait, with the front flap folded behind the tablet before it's seated on the dock. However, since the case alone makes up for about half an inch of thickness when folded behind the TouchPad, the appearance is very very bulky. In landscape mode, it's doable because the spine of the case supports the tablet. In portrait mode, the tablet itself hangs off the TouchStone a bit. While it still charges that way, it's a bit unstable and doesn't look great either.

Overall, I'm very happy with this case. The sturdiness, high-quality materials, versatile tilt positions, and the lack of a bezel cover put this case far above the multitude of alternatives in quality. But it lost a star for the corner grip annoyance, bulkiness, and slightly less than stellar TouchStone compatibility design. For its few faults, though, I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.
on September 12, 2011
I'm the kind of guy that researches everything to a fault. I've had my HP Touchpad for a week and I've spent every minutes since then looking for the right cover. I did not want to spend more than $35. Cases were either not in stock, on backorder, cost too much or had poor reviews. I found this case but was concerned about the lack of reviews. I took a leap of faith and wow, I could not be happier.

+Fits Perfect
+Stands up Well
+Leather
+Full protection - even though there is not material covering the corners...the leather backing is actually a 1/4" larger than the Touchpad all around, so the corner of the device would not come in contact with anything.
+Magnetic clasp works well
+price

- None
on October 26, 2011
I don't know if there's a better case out there, but I hope there is.

I love the fact that this is a leather case. But the thin leather coating is already wearing away in some places, and I've only been using it for a week.

I like the various horizontal (landscape) positions that the case offers. But it's not vertically friendly. I can't stand it up.

Even horizontally, I'm confused. If I place my Touchpad in the case one way, the speakers are at the bottom and being muffled by the case. That doesn't seem right.

So I turned it around to place the speakers at the top. The volume control is being hugged by the case,and it actually turns it down and off!
on January 15, 2012
Like many others who bought a Touchpad during the Firesale, I shop on a budget. Budget hardware, budget software, budget accessories. For the Touchpad I found myself being a little more generous on the accessories (I recently allowed myself a Touchstone--if at half it's listing price--even though it serves no real function other than a nifty way to charge my Touchpad). When I went case-hunting, Amazon was ripe with low-priced tablet cases, some generic, some custom-fit for the TP. While there were plenty of cases to be had for $10 and less, there is something to be said for occasionally paying a little more. Such is the case with Acase's leather folio skin for the HP Touchpad, which hovers closer to the $20 mark (although if the listing price is to be believed, it retailed for much higher). While that puts it roughly in the same price range as HP's official Touchpad case, make no mistake: this is the single best case you will find for the HP Touchpad. This is REAL leather, not the synthetic imitation you will find on other cases. And while I don't think my Touchpad could survive a drop, there is something to be said for the leather's padding, which actually makes it feel more durable (insofar as you feel like the case actually ABSORBS something) than many of the translucent plastic "shields" for the TP. I leave it to someone else to either affirm or prove me wrong, but I just don't see how anyone expects plastic encasing plastic to provide any kind of protection from shock-damage.

Nearly every Touchpad case will include a "stand" so that the Touchpad has something supporting it for video viewing or what have you. Acase's elegance lies in the fact that as opposed to just one groove, the Acase skin has several, giving you three options for landscape viewing angles. The value of this should be immediately clear: the one nearest the edge, giving the closest position to a flat tablet, proves the best for onscreen typing, while the middle and higher positions work better for video viewing or eliminating glare. While it seems like something that should be so obvious to anyone intending to manufacture cases that double as stands, I have tried out no less than four cases for my Touchpad and none of them offer the degree of variability in their viewing angles that Acase's does.

And lest an HP enthusiast attempt to hold "compatibility" over our heads: Yes, this case IS Touchstone compatible. At least in Portrait mode. Is it elegant? No, not really; you need to push the outer flap aside if you'd like to be able to look at your Touchpad while it charges. And it doesn't simply fold away as nicely as one might like. But HP's official case, despite explicitly promoting itself as Touchstone compatible, doesn't look terribly classy atop one either. I imagine most people are simply happy that it works. If you'd like to use your Touchpad as an impromptu picture-frame atop a Touchstone, I think you will have to live with the fact that picture-frames gather dust.

From beginning to end, this is an excellent case. The minimalist aesthetic provides style, functionality, and protection, all without seeming gaudy or bulky. It is to the Touchpad what a simple, elegant book-cover is to a revered leatherbound. I do have another case that I put my TP into on occasion (one with a built-in bluetooth keyboard for getting work done at a coffee shop), but this is the one in which my Touchpad resides 95% of the time. Knowing nothing about this company beforehand I took a gamble with this case over the official HP case and am very satisfied with my decision. I've since bought my brother an Acase skin for his Iconia tablet at Christmas, and he too has been stunned by its quality.

Pros:
- Multiple grooves in the case provide multiple viewing angles
- Sleek, non-intrusive cover keeps your Touchpad reasonably protected without feeling like it's wearing a lifesaver.
- Touchstone compatible
- Price comparable with any other quality cases on Amazon

Cons:
- The "proper" way to secure the Touchpad in the case will have the speakers on the bottom, rather than the top, meaning the sound will get slightly muffled if set into the landscape grooves.
- Touchstone compatible, but clearly not designed to be left on a Touchstone. Will not be perfectly level due to where the stand pushes of non-uniform surafce of case and exposed tablet.

Overall: A case I would not wish to be without.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I agree with the other positive reviews here, that this is an excellent case, sturdy & protects the tablet very well. All buttons along the sides are easily accessible.

Classy, clean look.

The front cover folds over so that it sits slightly propped-up(35-40 degrees?) when laying on my lap for easy couch surfing, which is my most common use.

I dare say this is likely to be as good as it gets for the Touchpad. Get it while you can, good cases may be hard to find real soon..
on December 20, 2011
As other reviewers had said, this case is very good quality; good leather and sturdy.

There are however two things that make the genuine HP better:
-HP case wraps around completely on the 3 sides
-HP case's cover is thin enough to let you fold it over to still allow Touchstone charging

The fact that the much thicker cover of the Acase means you must have the cover open and laying on the table in front of the Touchpad while it is docked in the Touchstone. If you try to fold it over against its back, it is too thick for charging to happen. This takes up valuable space if you want to make your Touchpad an impromptu picture frame while not in use. Not only that, the flopped open cover can become unsightly and attract dust.

It's clear that the Acase was not designed to be used with the Touchstone in mind despite the fact that it still works, as long as you have the cover open. I was aware of the fact that it wasn't meant to be used with the Touchstone when I bought it, but had no idea of this issue when used with the Touchstone. Other reviewers didn't mention this detail and one reviewer said folding the cover over worked for him on the Touchstone, so your mileage may vary!

So bottom line is, if you have a Touchstone dock, get the genuine HP case or something else (the good choices are slim). If not, or you're not planning to get one, or don't care about his deficiency, then get the Acase!
on September 26, 2011
Acase for TouchPad is excellent for protecting the TouchPad with its corner 'clips' and semi-rigid front/back. Very lightweight, very good at protecting the screen and casing. Downside is that the stand only works for landscape (horizontal) orientation and not portrait (vertical). But that is just a minor detail. Very glad I made this investment!!!
on September 16, 2011
Pros
-Fit
-protection
-magnetic flap
-Sturdy stand

Cons
-covers light sensor
-stand is occasionally flimsy
-edges don't perfectly match
-swipe indents are a little small

Best I've found or seen but the free market should try harder.

See 1 answered question