From the Back Cover
In Accelerated Vocabulary Instruction
Nancy Akhavan provides a comprehensive guide to creating word-rich, print-infused classrooms for developing vocabularies that provide access to the core curriculum. Within powerful units that focus on conceptual vocabulary and span the school year, she presents strategies, graphic organizers, ready-to-use overhead transparencies, individual record sheets, and clear explanations of the current research that show why good instruction is central to students' word acquisition, which in turn is a major factor in closing the achievement gap and preparing students for future success.
To help you connect word learning to content units, Akhavan shows you how to:
* brainstorm words children already know that are connected to a theme or content area
* demonstrate how to think about words and how to remember word meanings
* teach explicit vocabulary lessons that center on new concepts and meanings
* encourage and support wide reading
* discover words, share them with the class, and invite students to do the same
* invite students to become word sleuths--to find words they want to learn, or discuss new word meanings and use
Accelerated Vocabulary Instruction is chock-full of explicit, engaging lessons that draw from children's literature and information-rich content area textbooks. It all adds up to a "book about words" that may well transform your students' learning lives.